1. Post #121
    tell PETA my mink is dragging on the floor
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    This is what I do always.. good bad idk?
    Oh fuck, that's a big one. Frame rate.
    We can't be having different frame rates, that will fuck the finished product up.
    Let's stick with 24?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    I dont see why the OP does not want to agree on a specific render type. It will just look horrible at the end, trust me on that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,567 Posts
    Let's always render at 1280 x 720. Some people don't have a monitor big enough for 1920 x 1080, everyone has a monitor big enough for 1280 x 720.
    That's a pretty bad way to do that if most people have a higher quality resolution.

It'd be better to either use one whole DMX or let someone else render the video for those with lower resolutions. The problem with one whole DMX is that it may get cluttered and a bit hard to work with since it'd have all the content from like 16 people, plus you're limited to one map so if someone wanted to move to another map, you couldn't do so without making a whole 'nother DMX, so having someone else render for you would be a better option. And if I remember right, there's a way you can get SFM to render in higher resolutions using the console or something, that's how people have been able to render in 1080p even though the limit is 720.

It is a first try though, if it looks kinda wonky, oh well, its a learning experience for everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,515 Posts
    In a PM he'll send you, he instructs everyone to use 30 FPS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    OP is being lazy. This is what should happen:

1.) Send him the DMX with the location that the custom models should be placed. (i.e in the usermod folder.)
    2.) He renders that and puts it in a folder.
    3.) Sends folder to next user as well as step 3
    3.) He cuts the dmx scene to the last 2 seconds and sends the new DMX to the next person as a model placement and cameras, exc.
    4.) Go back to step 1

When all over he edits all the clips together in an editor, Camtasia will work but there are better ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,567 Posts
    It is pretty late so I may be reading your post wrong but if I remember right he's sending everything the entrant needs (custom models, maps) except the DMX and he's letting the people who made it render it themselves with the right framerate.

He shouldn't need to send the DMX if he doesn't have to, if the creator really needs the DMX then they can PM the person who made it for it.

I am curious though, what software are you using to edit OP?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,568 Posts
    Let's always render at 1280 x 720. Some people don't have a monitor big enough for 1920 x 1080, everyone has a monitor big enough for 1280 x 720.
    1080 rendering is still broken isn't it? Every single render will be 720.

8. Post #128
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,874 Posts
    Having to render every ones entries for them is overly excessive. We'll fix this problem next time. Relax. It might not even look that bad.
    That's a poor excuse. If you can do it next time you can do it this time; dropping out.

Edited:

OP is being lazy
    And he shouldn't even be organizing an event if he can't do it properly. I'd definitely want to work on a collaboration if you ran it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    March 2010
    99 Posts
    ornafulsamee, you are now under the C category. You cannot just force yourself into the 1st placement, because you're taking a work break. Sorry.
    Soz if you understand in that way, I just wanted to know if it could be possible to optimize the project queue... Nevermind, I dont need to do this so if you dont want me i dont really care, thats just not cool because words in english seems to be more.... direct ?

Not the first time ppl says "oh dude you're an ass, cant you be less pragmatic (or other word, i dont know which one to use) ?"

Thats not my fault if I never lived in english country for enough time to know how to perfectly translate a sentence.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,583 Posts
    gosh lets just agree on 720p 128 passes DOF 64 passes motion blur (my personal preference) or something akin to that

having the OP render the entire project would just take a lot of time in my opinion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #131
    June 2009
    239 Posts
    This is what I do always.. good bad idk?
    You might have a better time exporting as an image sequence, either PNG or TGA, then stringing them together with audio in VideoDub or whatever editor you're using.

Edited:

That's a poor excuse. If you can do it next time you can do it this time; dropping out.

Edited:

And he shouldn't even be organizing an event if he can't do it properly. I'd definitely want to work on a collaboration if you ran it.
    Dude, dude, it's the first time we've done this. We haven't hit any potholes yet and there's no need to start throwing around angry language just cause we might see a few ahead. Things aren't going to badly right now and we'll have plenty of time later to examine the end result and figure out how we want to do things differently next time.

Edited:

1080 rendering is still broken isn't it? Every single render will be 720.
    According to some, it is possible to render at 1080p if you have either a big enough monitor or use a launch command to force SFM into a resolution bigger than your monitor, which unlocks the 1080p option.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #132

April 2012
    475 Posts
    I log off, go to bed, and when I wake up suddenly people are pissed off and angry. Let's just use the render settings suggested by Uglehs.

Easy, peasy lemon squeasy. Rendering everyone's videos for them would take too much time. Now can everyone just relax?

OneFourth, can you re-render your project at these settings?

Edit: The rule section has been updated. Please read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,568 Posts
    My clip is mostly done at this point. I just have to polish up the camera angles and animation a bit, and it's ready to render.

Edited:

Sent mine in, up next is Uglehs.

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    I did not get a PM yet, but when I do I will start on it. Is my part going to be hard?

15. Post #135
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,568 Posts
    I did not get a PM yet, but when I do I will start on it. Is my part going to be hard?
    Well, it'll be as hard as you want to make it, I left a pretty open ending on mine.

16. Post #136
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,515 Posts
    I log off, go to bed, and when I wake up suddenly people are pissed off and angry. Let's just use the render settings suggested by Uglehs.

Easy, peasy lemon squeasy. Rendering everyone's videos for them would take too much time. Now can everyone just relax?

OneFourth, can you re-render your project at these settings?

Edit: The rule section has been updated. Please read.

My render esttings were a PNG image sequence, no gamma adjust, 256 passes of Motion Blur, idk for DoF, and 30 frames per second. All at 720p.

17. Post #137

April 2012
    475 Posts
    My render esttings were a PNG image sequence, no gamma adjust, 256 passes of Motion Blur, idk for DoF, and 30 frames per second. All at 720p.
    To be honest the different render settings between your part and brandonshs part wasn't that big of a deal. They match almost perfectly. The only notable difference is his has DOF.

18. Post #138
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,515 Posts
    To be honest the different render settings between your part and brandonshs part wasn't that big of a deal. They match almost perfectly. The only notable difference is his has DOF.
    cool. brandon, was my video confusing?

19. Post #139
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,568 Posts
    cool. brandon, was my video confusing?
    Made sense to me.

20. Post #140
    July 2012
    32 Posts
    I don't know why passing around the .DMX would be that difficult. It would only leave the last person with the trouble of rendering, but that doesn't even take that long with a decent computer. Regardless, just sending in clips isn't that much of a problem either. As long as we stick to the render settings no one is going to tell the difference between clips.

Only trouble I see is maybe getting the lights back in the right place between clips if we are going to be using the same location.

Anyways, looking forward to working on my clip.

21. Post #141
    November 2011
    299 Posts
    I don't know why passing around the .DMX would be that difficult. It would only leave the last person with the trouble of rendering, but that doesn't even take that long with a decent computer. Regardless, just sending in clips isn't that much of a problem either. As long as we stick to the render settings no one is going to tell the difference between clips.

Only trouble I see is maybe getting the lights back in the right place between clips if we are going to be using the same location.

Anyways, looking forward to working on my clip.
    Well you'd have to pass custom models and sounds too, so it may be not that good

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    I never got OneFourths video, he only send me brandons,so I am lost at what happened in the beginning. Is this supposed to happen?
    I dont want to ruin anything but I dont know the role of the characters.

23. Post #143
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,568 Posts
    I never got OneFourths video, he only send me brandons,so I am lost at what happened in the beginning. Is this supposed to happen?
    I might be wrong but I think that's the idea of it. Everyone only sees the previous clip so the story goes in all sorts of crazy directions.
       (oh, and it might've been a bit vague in mine, but the civilian is dead)   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    I might be wrong but I think that's the idea of it. Everyone only sees the previous clip so the story goes in all sorts of crazy directions.
    Ok, he should of put that in the info, because I thought it was more of a colab. This should be fun, the bad guy turns to the good guy, the good guy turns to the bad guy, characters might get lost in the story line, like "Where did the engineer go? He was the start of the plot!" type of thing. (Not a spoiler, there is no engineer, yet at least).

I examined every part of this video to not miss anything. I brainstormed a path and im going to take it, it should be done tomorrow morning, i have something to do at 6pm so I do not want to start it now, or else I wont be able to stop..   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    5,567 Posts
    I'm really excited to see how this all will turn out, glad I'll get to be a part of it too.

26. Post #146
    The Mullock Project
    June 2011
    2,515 Posts
    :O
    edit: he was kind of a dick

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,583 Posts
    I'm too stoked for this collab. Can't wait for my turn, and for this to be done altogether so I can see the end result.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,388 Posts
    Excited for my turn.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #149
    June 2009
    239 Posts
    Well you'd have to pass custom models and sounds too, so it may be not that good
    We have to do that now anyway. We can consider it for V2 and talk it over later.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    So you only get to see the last persons work. Its a hard plot, and my job is to make it clear for the next person whats happening.

I run into a snag where the physics im trying to create went too fast, but i think i fixed it, and it turns out its only been 6 seconds... I need to fill in the rest :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

31. Post #151
    July 2009
    6,057 Posts
    Bad news, I gotta drop out. My life has suddenly become waaaaaaay to busy to do anything at home. Give my spot to someone else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

32. Post #152

April 2012
    475 Posts
    Bad news, I gotta drop out. My life has suddenly become waaaaaaay to busy to do anything at home. Give my spot to someone else.
    Bummer...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    I swear im pissed at SFM

Edited:

Im almost done, I am finishing camera angles, sounds, and particles, and then im done.

34. Post #154
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,583 Posts
    so it would appear it's zach and me next
    neato, can't wait to get goin soon

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    Sorry it took so long, i had to work on my watermark. Its all rendering now and should be sent to the OP within 10 minutes.

Is this too big for a watermark lol?

jk
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #156
    July 2008
    2,134 Posts
    Can the watermark just be text i slap on in vegas?

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    302 Posts
    when I return I shall be drunk and ready to work!

38. Post #158
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,035 Posts
    Zachariah, I left you a nice opening. Hopefully you can fill it.

Edited:

It was for Brandon, so i dont see a problem.

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    302 Posts
    I was born to fill openings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #160

April 2012
    475 Posts
    Yes, but that's a little bland isn't it. :)