1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts

[release]

What is it?
    This is a fully lua-controlled rollercoaster addon. You create individual nodes, and a track (with the catmull-rom spline algorithm) is generated between them.

Some features include:

-Fully physical rollercoaster trains ( they're an actual physics object! ) with multiple carts attached carts.
    -An advanced tool combining all of the functions needed for coaster creation into a single tool with multiple tabs. (See below for pictures
    -Saving and loading tracks, as well as the ability to upload tracks to the server.
    -Adjustable track roll to allow deep turns or even barrel rolls.
    -Custom generated mesh that actually looks like the track of a rollercoaster
    -Realistic cart physics - all cart movement uses newton's theories of physics for accurate acceleration and friction.
    -A bunch more, seriously.

Questions and Answers
    Q: What is Github? Why is the addon hosted there?
    A: It's hosted on Github because I'm not perfect and make mistakes. I believe there are people much smarter than I who can contribute and improve the addon.

Q: I'm getting some major FPS lag. What can I do to increase my perfomance?
    A: In the Settings tab of the tool, you'll find a bunch of performance settings. The most performance heavy thing at the moment is track previews (the little green lines) and supports, so those would be a good start.

Q: Where are my saved tracks stored?
    A: All saved tracks are located in your garrysmod/data/Rollercoasters folder. If a client uploaded a track to your server, they will be located in garrysmod/data/Rollercoasters/Server

Q: I have a bug report/suggestion for rollercoaster. Where do I slap it?
    A: Bug reports and suggestions can be made on the Github page.

Q: Where can I see progress on upcoming version of rollercoaster?
    A: All progress can be seen on the Trello page.

Download
    For the most recent version, (or if you'd like to contribute) the project is hosted on Github and available here: https://github.com/Foohy/gm-rollercoaster
    It's also available on the workshop here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=104508032
    I removed the zipped download version since that was temporary until it was on the steam workshop. It also ensures people have the most up to date addon.
    [/release]

Credits
    Foohy
    Bletotum (Being awesome and making trains work and also helped with other misc. stuff)
    Sunabouzu (Those pretty support models and that other thing)
    Clopsy (Sexy workshop icon)

Media
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua King x 202Winner x 35Funny x 4Friendly x 3Agree x 2Useful x 1Lua Helper x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts
    You didn't show off the spinny cart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    You didn't show off the spinny cart.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 86Winner x 7Lua King x 6Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,966 Posts
    can you do loops?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Late Late x 1Zing Zing x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    can you do loops?
    At the moment you can fake them by setting the roll 180 degrees for the upside down nodes, but I'm still trying to find a good way to do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 3Informative Informative x 2Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,520 Posts
    I love this. Finally I can do something new while playing singleplayer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Faroe Islands Show Events Funny Funny x 6Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2009
    1,720 Posts
    Wow, this sure IS a good addon!

Im gonna try this now and see how it performs on eye-candy maps (Rollercoaster passing in a building interior,who knows!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Zing Zing x 1Lua King Lua King x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    9,936 Posts
    So glad this was released, I've been excited ever since I saw you post about it in the Lua section.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    1,206 Posts
    Hah, this is like RCT3, awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 11Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,500 Posts
    Foohy I love you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 4Friendly x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2009
    1,720 Posts
    Well, question time.

To make a jump, do i need to create a new Rollercoaster ID?

Also, can i make my rollercoasters half-wood and half-metal?

Already tested it, but i dont know how to do these things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Lua King Lua King x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    Great job. Been waiting since i first saw it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts
    To make a jump, do i need to create a new Rollercoaster ID?
    yes, but derailed carts will knock railed carts off the track, which will means that trains of carts cannot pass through jumps without major damage, and becoming singular carts (or trains of one)

Edited:

this is really just to preserve the thingy used to ensure that trains of carts look good

there's this part where the code corrects distorted space between carts in a train that arises from passing between segments at different velocities, which cannot work well with jumps, even if every cart were to land on the second ID fine
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2009
    626 Posts
    This is awesome, thanks for releasing this!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,249 Posts
    I guess this belongs here from this morning:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24Zing Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Best Gamemode Ever
    July 2011
    1,500 Posts
    I guess this belongs here from this morning:

'I think this is the new NASA training program'
    lol...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2007
    58 Posts
    CHECK MATE!

[EDIT]: Just tried it out, it went so fast it kept going in circles in the middle of the track.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,934 Posts
    This is the best thing. The best.
    I played with for like, an hour a week ago. It's truly amazing <3

Put it on the Workshop!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    It'll be on workshop soon, I just need an icon

20. Post #20
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,813 Posts
    You deserve a medal.

Pick a $10 dollar game from steam and i'll buy it for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 28Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    http://store.steampowered.com//app/209610 plz

Joking, you don't need to give me anything <3   

Edited:

Colorable track segments! As well as some bug fixes in the newest update.
    -Fixed multiple supports being drawn for the first node
    -Moved the CoasterID to new string DTVar (should fix some weird issues when joining a server with already spawned coasters)
    -Fixed mesh not drawing if the controller was out of the clients PVS
    -Fixed error when spawning saved tracks in singleplayer
    -Track meshes are now colorable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Lua King Lua King x 1Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #22

I persent you the lightspeed, vomit maker, LOLERCOASTER!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    foxcock
    June 2008
    6,873 Posts

I persent you the lightspeed, vomit maker, LOLERCOASTER!
    did you just weld a seat to that

why would you do that it comes with seats D:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I will huff and puff and FLIP YOUR FUCKING TABLES
    October 2005
    6,827 Posts

that fucking sound, everytime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    August 2010
    607 Posts
    Holy shit dude, just holy shit
    you win the day

the whole damn day
    you win it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 2Agree Agree x 2Lua King Lua King x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    October 2005
    6,827 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    That's badass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    OFFICIAL ROLLER COASTER TYCOON ENTHUSIAST
    December 2011
    738 Posts
    That fucking intro music
    <3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    October 2005
    6,827 Posts
    Yeah, but that entire track drags my FPS into the 20s

Edited:

So am I the only one with serious performance issues?

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    No, but there are some things you can adjust to help it run better.
    coaster_supports 0/1 (draw the supports, tend to be a bit performance heavy)
    coaster_previews 0/1 (draw the green preview lines)
    coaster_resolution 1-100 (the 'resolution' of the track. This affects how long it takes to generate the track)

Edited:

Also I released a bug fix
    -Fixed simple track type not coloring properly
    -Fixed removing the 2nd node of the track causing errors
    -Removed nodes invalidate nearby nodes
    -Hopefully fixed rare error when first equipping the tool

32. Post #32
    did you just weld a seat to that

why would you do that it comes with seats D:
    It's a bug, for some reason the included seat was made visible while it should be invisible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Informative Informative x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,550 Posts
    This is possibly one of the best addons for gmod and I'm glad you made it happen!
    Only thing it could really do with is some custom models for the carts, because let's face it, the ones in PHX are pretty poor quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    This is possibly one of the best addons for gmod and I'm glad you made it happen!
    Only thing it could really do with is some custom models for the carts, because let's face it, the ones in PHX are pretty poor quality.
    Sunabouzu said he'd make me some actual carts, but he gave me a sonic one instead.

Edited:

Also new update, hopefully fixed some problems people were having:
    -Limited player grabbing of the physics mesh on the client, in addition to the server. Woops. (This may fix some strange bugs )
    -Supports refresh their clientside models automatically if they ever become invalid.
    -Greatly improved speed of drawing supports.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    10,352 Posts
    To make those jumps and stuff, do you just make a new track id?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    930 Posts
    Yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2011
    60 Posts
    Time to see if I can make a jump that lands upside down.

You done good Foohy. You done good.

38. Post #38
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,986 Posts
    I had an idea while playing around with this. Instead of having to press c to set height and roll, couldn't you do something like the camera tool (without zooming though). You simply clicks and it creates a node. Elevation is determined by player elevation. Roll is determined by the cameras roll.

Would make it a lot quicker to build.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    September 2011
    7 Posts
    Dear God this is brilliant. Well Done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2010
    112 Posts
    Just awesome. Good job! :D

edit: 100th. Long time lurker ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)