1. Post #5121
    June 2012
    1,648 Posts
    So do you guys think Valve intended the MVM update to come out the same year as the engy update or did they really plan to tease and hint at this update for 2 years?
    Maybe it was initially intended to come out some time in 2011, but was pushed back to 2012 due to how many updates we got in that year.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #5122
    September 2010
    1,083 Posts
    Thread relevant:
    Also serves as a recap of what we have right now
    Oh man, the music just makes this whole thing so wonderfully ridiculous.

Also, I'm surprised someone on Gamebanana or whatever that site is called hasn't introduced a ball gag misc to go with that awful Spy gimp mask that Hero Academy subjected us to.

EDIT: I should clarify: the HA promo items are very expertly modeled-- they're just horribly out of place in TF2 and having them paintable is the worst idea ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

3. Post #5123
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts

Also, I'm surprised someone on Gamebanana or whatever that site is called hasn't introduced a ball gag misc to go with that awful Spy gimp mask that Hero Academy subjected us to.

EDIT: I should clarify: the HA promo items are very expertly modeled-- they're just horribly out of place in TF2 and having them paintable is the worst idea ever.
    Stop giving them ideas!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #5124

February 2012
    1,002 Posts
    I hate to doubt testinglol's word but is Man Vs. Machine it really a gamemode and not just some sort of boss fight like the Horsemann or Monoculus?

And other than fighting robots and the update having been in the works since 2010, what's so significant it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5125
    June 2012
    1,648 Posts
    fighting robots and the update having been in the works since 2010
    you just answered your own question...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #5126
    Lmao Pics Authority Jesus
    Dennab
    February 2012
    8,769 Posts
    Wait, wait, in the video, I just was looking

is the Map the Spy is looking at in SD_Doomsday correlate with Tank placement?

I swear one of the little pictures is 2fort.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 4Disagree Disagree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #5127
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,743 Posts
    Thread relevant:
    Starmix takes almost all the credit and the little he shares, he shares with Reddit. Something isn't right here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

8. Post #5128
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    7,770 Posts

Add in a latex suit and Soldier's riding crop and now you're talking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #5129
    ABW
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    358 Posts
    I hope so much that they'll have a detailed blog post about the history of MvM like they did with Meet the Medic.

Oh and I hope the video they are working on currently is about MvM
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

10. Post #5130
    I'll donate $1,000 to a site that's based around chance but not $1 to a site that provides a community service :C
    February 2007
    32,862 Posts
    Not enough pink
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #5131
    July 2011
    284 Posts
    Blog was just updated again. New bloodsplatter and link: http://www.teamfortress.com/mannwill

'Miracle' gravel cache left to Elizabeth.

'My weakling son Gray resurfaced last year and has threatened to blackmail me for it.'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 22Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #5132
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    7,770 Posts
    Starmix takes almost all the credit and the little he shares, he shares with Reddit. Something isn't right here.
    As much as i'd love to get into a reddit discussion about their odd tendency to claim credit for many, many things, it's sadly not the place.

But yes, i agree.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

13. Post #5133
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,046 Posts
    Thread relevant:
    Oh fuck you I just literally finished writing this.

Well here's your tf2 year and speculation review!

This year has been exceedingly busy for the past two months with the advent of meet the pyro and the sleeping dogs promos but we'll start at the start.
    This is the story of the new game mode that's coming in tf2 which will completely overshadow special delivery, meet the pyro and every other update in the year so far.

The story starts in 2010 with the engineer update, some valve devs made comments about how they make the story up as they go along but we're taking a different point of view:
    the roots and evolution of the new game mode.

Now: The engineer update was a first because valve actually made his new update items based on feedback from the community. They had a trailer with lots of nice doodads to speculate over
    and everyone went crazy for it. The things that stood out in particular were the robot hand and the robot heads. Valve saw all the hyper for a robotic engineer hand and created the gunslinger later.
    The head was never mentioned again.

Skip forwards a year and we're somewhere in 2011 near the uber update. Everyone's speculating about raid mode, the possible boss fighting mode that would pit players against an unknown foe.
    Everyone suddenly remembered the engineer update and thought that we'd soon be fighting robots or aliens in tf2. Unfortunately raid mode wasn't coming anytime soon.

Meet the medic came out and so did the uber update, excitement rose to a peak near christmas with foundry but unfortunately once again it was not to be. Instead of robots
    valve tested a horrible new way of distributing weapons exclusively to people who bought crates, thank goodness for dr grordbort's saving that update. But then surprise! Foundry has a secret!
    A sign found in a room not normally reachable in normal play roused up the speculation train to the maximum! The sign read AUTO-BORAX which isn't that amazing by itself but the sign was obscured
    slightly by two planks resting on it between the U T and the R A making a single word in the middle TO-BOR. Everyone got really excited again remembered the engineer update, remembered raid mode
    and it seemed the update could drop any day but once again it was not coming any time soon. Then someone found the other secret room. It contained a series of freshly-developed pictures hanging
    on a string. The pictures were pictures of robots. The excitement and hype levels reached critical mass and sparked a chain reaction of paranoia and searching for robots. Everything was a clue and
    only one thing was for certain. We were getting robots in tf2.

2012 Started, the tf2 blog posted an announcement: "this'll be a big year for tf2!" Promising the saxxies, meet the pyro and a new surprise!
    Everyone knew the surprise would be raid mode, now known as TOBOR mode.

Six gruelling months passed with seemingly bland weekly updates adding new cosmetic items that no one cared about (except for a few) and a single holdover weapon
    that didn't make it into last christmas' update. However, the updates were also adding some behind the scenes tf2 schema code that the community jumped on at every occasion.

The schema updates added new sound references in the game, all related to TOBOR.

By the way you can't actually listen to them, they're not in the game as sounds, just as code. The only way to know what they actually sound like is to look at the lines and guess what they mean.

We got some pretty specifically named sound files for:
    Robot sounds
    Robot classes sounds
    Robot classes walking sounds
    Sentry buster robot sounds
    Tank sounds
    Giant robot sounds
    Giant robot walking sounds

And we also got new voice line references for all the characters!
    The voice lines seem to be about team mates dying and robots and "buying in" and getting upgrades, more on that later.

all of these sounds have names with the prefix M V M which would theoretically be an acronym for Man(n) Versus Machine. We'll still refer to this as TOBOR mode.

Occasionally we got code that wasn't referring to sounds but to items and actions in the new game mode.
    Buying in to a wave is an action you will perform when you play the new game mode, it's speculated that this would increase the rewards you get for the wave
    at the risk of losing it all if you fail to complete it
    There are upgrades and or buffs, no idea what they specifically do yet but they could increase your damage permanently or give you buffs for a wave
    like the buff banner's minicrits and the amputator's healing aura.

Every character has sound references to buying in and upgrading, once again you can't actually hear them but you could imagine the heavy saying "Gun is better now!" when he'd get an upgrade.

Then another few pieces of code were added, a reference to the MvM badge. It's a badge that counts how many times you win at TOBOR mode and a new item quality was added: TOBOR_A.

Everything was set up for TOBOR mode. One day we got a patch that added a few odd items to the game:
    pieces of lint, goldfish, bananas, barn door planks, cheese wheels, capacitors and secret diaries in order of rarity.

I won't go into details about the banana ARG but the people who contributed to it are all awesome.

What is more relevant here is the capacitor and the diary.
    The capacitor had a number that translated to a date on it. 6.22V1500, giving a time and date of 6/22/12 15:00 which is when the pyro posted an announcement for the upcoming pyromania update on monday.
    The capacitor was already the second most important item of the arg but it got even more important after pyromania when it did not turn into ash like the other
    items save for the diary and then did not disappear like the rest of the ash same as the diary again.

Now. Meet the pyro was good and all but here, it's not as important as source film maker. SFM beta opened and a few people got in.
    Facepunch user Hell-Met searched through the files packed with SFM and found a lot of cool stuff: A never before seen tank, the robot head from meet the engineer and a few robot heads
    without textures that nobody had seen before. Facepunch user Smashman who was also in SFM beta told him to keep quiet about those heads since they were a secret then proceeded to post
    all nine heads with textures.

Now we're getting to te end of our story: the present.
    The sleeping dogs promotion was probably the best update of the year but to the disappointment of everyone, there were no references to robots added backstage
    It wasn't until the second part where the map Koth_King and the horrible eye raping hero academy promos were released that anything new showed up.
    Nothing has been found at the time of writing in Koth_King Instead we got a curve ball. Remember that tank Hell-Met found in sfm? Well they're giant crawlers and now have a texture.
    and they were added on four maps. Badwater, Doublecross, TwoFort and Granary. They have animations but don't use them yet at the time of writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #5134
    HUG ME I'M SOFT
    January 2012
    1,208 Posts
    I've been thinking, look at this map again:

The upper right one looks like granary, as it's all industrial looking.
    The on on the left looks like badwater.
    The one on the bottom right looks like both 2fort and doublecross.

The map is found inside the blu base, all of the carriers are blue.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Israel Show Events Winner Winner x 10Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #5135
    August 2012
    29 Posts
    So a while ago some strings were found or leaked, that contained "TF_Matchmaking_TOBOR_CRSK_GLaDOS" and names out of other valve games

With the references in SFM to a "hybrid" engine, could MvM be a "hybrid" between multiple games?

(also hello, this is my first post, i have been lurking the last 2 years with every major update, nice to meet you)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #5136
    September 2011
    4,173 Posts
    Don't you know? Reddit created everything.
    They're the ones to blame for Lime paint, too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

17. Post #5137
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    Blog was just updated again. New bloodsplatter and link: http://www.teamfortress.com/mannwill
    Could they write it with a worse font?
    It's hard to read and my dyslexia makes it even worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

18. Post #5138
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    7,770 Posts
    It's essentially a finished, un-[redacted] version of the Halloween will from 2009?

I like.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

19. Post #5139
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,465 Posts

'My weakling son Gray resurfaced last year and has threatened to blackmail me for it.'
    Lore from 3 years ago. And they're making this shit up as they go

Here's the original link from 2009: http://www.teamfortress.com/pumpkinp...epheniah_Mann/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #5140
    Gold Member
    June 2012
    750 Posts
    Can someone write the will here? I can't read cursive for shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #5141
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    Can someone write the will here? I can't read cursive for shit
    Better yet, how about a dramatic reading?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #5142
    Facepunch's Resident Game Center CX Expert
    November 2010
    10,451 Posts
    so the owner of Gray Gravel Company is Gray Mann
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #5143
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,539 Posts
    Notice the eagle on the coin?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 8 (list)

24. Post #5144
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,009 Posts
    I hate to doubt testinglol's word but is Man Vs. Machine it really a gamemode and not just some sort of boss fight like the Horsemann or Monoculus?

And other than fighting robots and the update having been in the works since 2010, what's so significant it?
    yeah it's a gamemode according to server.dll.

it's a pretty big update. it changes lots of stuff. lobby system, party system, global chat, another way to get items, a new mode, levels, free levelable badges, big bosses and much more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Informative Informative x 13Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #5145
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    7,770 Posts

Here's the original link from 2009: http://www.teamfortress.com/pumpkinp...epheniah_Mann/
    Maybe "Miracle" gravel is raw australium. It'd explain how she got her hands on 100 pounds of the stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

26. Post #5146
    The Great Thief and defense attorney's assistant's assistant
    January 2012
    3,128 Posts
    "Terra Australis" sounds like a planet. SPACE ROBOTS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

27. Post #5147
    July 2011
    284 Posts

Hah yea. It's clear the words weren't chosen in advance
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #5148
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,539 Posts
    you know this update is going to be good when they add stuff at the weekend
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #5149
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,743 Posts
    Why does Zepheniah refer to Australium as 'miracle gravel'? Couldn't he just say 'totally ordinary gold'?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

30. Post #5150
    The Great Thief and defense attorney's assistant's assistant
    January 2012
    3,128 Posts
    This all seems a tad bit hasty. I wonder if it's possible that we're going to see this update sooner than we think.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #5151
    August 2009
    6,170 Posts
    looking at the ripped up photograph Gray's right half looks kind of fucked up

I think he's a cyborg or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #5152
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,966 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Australis
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

33. Post #5153
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,465 Posts
    Terra means ground and Australis is clearly referring to Australia.

It's most likely referring to the Australian continent and nothing else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

34. Post #5154
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,393 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

35. Post #5155
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,539 Posts
    also before we have another blood debate the new blood splatter is called bloodsplatter2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12 (list)

36. Post #5156
    ~Butts~
    May 2012
    2,409 Posts

This is going to be good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

37. Post #5157
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,465 Posts
    Ninja'd by wikipedia. My Latin is not as sharp as it used to be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

38. Post #5158
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    7,743 Posts
    looking at the ripped up photograph Gray's right half looks kind of fucked up

I think he's a cyborg or something

You called?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner x 5Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Artistic x 1Informative x 1Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #5159
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    11,824 Posts
    Does someone have a typed version of it?

For some reason I'm just finding it hard to read the writing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #5160
    April 2009
    1,747 Posts
    This all seems a tad bit hasty. I wonder if it's possible that we're going to see this update sooner than we think.
    On the Uber Update, Grordbort Update, Australian Christmas 2011, and Pyromania Update, they added clues on Friday or the week before, started Day 1 (Only One day in the case of Grordbort) and updated the next week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)