1. Post #1

LONDON — More than a century after women were first allowed to compete in the Olympics, the run-up to the 2012 London Games has been fraught with controversy over what, exactly, female athletes should wear.

Beach volleyball players will be able to wear more clothes, rather than less, for the first time in Olympic competition — free to swap their bikinis for more modest shorts and sleeved tops. The change, announced in spring, was designed to accommodate countries’ cultural beliefs but, in the process, has devastated legions of male fans who cheer the sport’s skimpy attire as much as its athleticism.

Meantime, female boxers, who’ll make their Olympic debut in London, helped deal a knockout blow to an attempt to make them wear skirts in the ring rather than trunks. The idea, proposed by the Amateur International Boxing Association, was intended to help TV viewers distinguish women from men.

“I really didn’t understand that,” said Claressa Shields of Flint, Mich, 17, the youngest member of the U.S. boxing team, following a workout in east London on Thursday. “It was to help separate the men from the women. But we got different names! Women got breasts! We got butts! Can’t you tell which one is who?”

Gloria Peek, 62, a member of the U.S. boxing team’s coaching staff, was dumbfounded when the idea was proposed.

“This is a pugilistic sport, a combative sport. And you want to put sex into it? For what reason?” Peek asked. “The skirt equates to sex; it equates to nothing else. How are you going to take that and put it into a gladiator sport? And what does that have to do with it?”

Under the compromise that resulted, female boxers can wear skirts if they like but it won’t be mandatory. That suits Shields just fine.

“If you want to wear skirts, go ahead,” said Shields, a 165-pound middleweight. “But if you don’t, just let us be normal. I’m not gonna wear a skirt!”

And those aren’t the only Olympic sports with their proverbial knickers in a twist over the issue of women’s garb.

Much like boxing, badminton’s international governing body was forced to retreat from a new dress code that would have required female Olympians to wear skirts rather than shorts. The stated goal: to attract more fans through “a stylish presentation of the players.”

Following howls of protests, skirts were made optional.

In one sense, the angst over female athletes’ attire in a handful of Olympic disciplines is a mere footnote to a 17-day global competition that celebrates the best in sporting achievement and sportsmanship.

But in another sense, it offers a window on the complex and competing interests involved in staging the $18 billion Games: issues of marketing, gender politics and cultural diversity. And on the eve of the 2012 Olympics, they have collided on the peculiar playing field of women’s closets.

That’s familiar terrain to dress historian Patricia Campbell Warner, considered the leading authority on women’s clothing in sports and author of “When the Girls Came Out to Play: The Birth of American Sportswear.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...QCX_story.html

I like my buttocks on tv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Friendly Friendly x 136Funny Funny x 18 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,446 Posts
    Or in my case, agreement
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    No complaints here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 67Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2012
    83 Posts
    Rated heart for that ass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 35Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    sup, it's FoxPie
    June 2008
    3,396 Posts
    giving the athletes the option to choose between shorts and a sleeved top and a bikini is totally fine. if they're not comfortable wearing a bikini then they don't have to. If they made it mandatory to wear shorts and a sleeved top then pretty much noone would watch anything in the olympics except to see usain bolt and michael phelps
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 72Dumb Dumb x 4Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    October 2010
    4,306 Posts
    Take the bikinis.

They're more comfortable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    No title or gold masterrace, whoops.
    July 2012
    3,582 Posts
    Visible ankles is to much for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 105Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,308 Posts
    Why can't you wear whatever you want, It would cool as shit to see Usain Bolt running with a cape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 82Funny Funny x 47Winner Winner x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    I somehow imagined the camera panning up and revealing a terrible looking face, and watching the thread go "well'p nevermind." But I'll give that woman the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume she has a nice looking face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    July 2012
    85 Posts
    why the hell did they try to force women to wear skirts in those competitions. if they'd simply given it as an option, I'm sure plenty of them would have gone with it, just to stand out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    2,054 Posts
    Why can't they just wear what they want, as long as the clothing doesn't give them an advantage in whatever sport?

I think that forcing skirts on competitors just for "a stylish presentation of the players" is really dumb. The Olympics are for making the worlds best athletes compete in whatever they do best, not showing scantly dressed women jumping around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Agree Agree x 41 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Take the bikinis.

They're more comfortable.
    Got something you wanna share with the rest of us?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 18 (list)

13. Post #13
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    859 Posts
    I was at the woman's beach volleyball event this morning. I approve of the skimpy bikinis.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 40Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,731 Posts
    They should have it like ancient times and be naked.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 46Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,433 Posts
    People at the olympics sometimes need that bit of extra help for us to determine their sex. Example: Caster Semenya

(female, was subjected to sex testing to actually determine that)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 50Funny Funny x 13Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    July 2012
    83 Posts
    I was at the woman's beach volleyball event this morning. I approve of the skimpy bikinis.

Kind of a shitty seat though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 43Zing Zing x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,731 Posts
    You know, to honor the tradition and stuff...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 2Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    859 Posts
    Kind of a shitty seat though.
    It wasn't the best seat in the house but I didn't care, it was a great vibe and I really enjoyed it. It was well done and funny too.

Also had my 550D with zoom lens :D, might have to share some pics
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,340 Posts
    These are a source of great debate for me

Should I fap now, or save it for later
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #21
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,414 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 40Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    August 2009
    2,054 Posts
    Don't tell me that was the official recording?
    If it was, that cameraman must be in trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Iceland Show Events Funny Funny x 73Agree Agree x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2008
    1,030 Posts
    Jesus, just watch sport for sports sake and not for it's vague sex appeal. You can get that elsewhere, in a much more satisfying fashion. This would be slightly less frsutrating if they had tried to sexualise the male athletes in the same way (although it would still be rediculous), it would remove the element of sexism. Yet as far as the article states, they didn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Zing Zing x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    December 2009
    4,087 Posts
    If they want to wear shorts, let them wear shorts, christ it's not that difficult.
    Jesus, just watch sport for sports sake and not for it's vague sex appeal. You can get that elsewhere, in a much more satisfying fashion. This would be slightly less frsutrating if they had tried to sexualise the male athletes in the same way (although it would still be rediculous), it would remove the element of sexism. Yet as far as the article states, they didn't.
    Mandatory codpieces!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Why can't you wear whatever you want, It would cool as shit to see Usain Bolt running with a cape.
    Unfortunately, that would be REALLY distracting to the other runners and it could put them off their game. They have to be careful in uniform variance to ensure there are no unfair advantages given to anyone.

26. Post #26
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    As a guy who likes big ass and big thighs and legs, I loved today's showings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2010
    2,432 Posts
    -snip-

28. Post #28
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,414 Posts
    Don't tell me that was the official recording?
    If it was, that cameraman must be in trouble.
    Its a pretty stable shot considering he did it one handed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 73Zing Zing x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    July 2009
    206 Posts
    Who could not approve of this?

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,340 Posts
    Jerk off or fuck off tbh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,518 Posts
    Jesus, just watch sport for sports sake and not for it's vague sex appeal.
    But they're boring
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

32. Post #32
    August 2008
    1,030 Posts
    But they're boring
    Then simply don't watch it. I understand where you're coming from (sport is pretty boring to actually watch) but removing its credibility for the sake of giving adolescents a brief, insignificant thrill is stupid. If it were the men being forced to wear nothing but tight speedos I'm pretty sure most of facepunch would be up in arms. Sorry if I'm coming across as a buzkill, I'm tired and opinionated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    6,980 Posts
    I didn't watch the volleyball for the drama of sports...

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    October 2010
    4,306 Posts
    Got something you wanna share with the rest of us?
    I like women that jump around in bikinis.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - Ninja101))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 43 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,086 Posts
    Sports is the movement of the human body accomplish a goal. So I want to see the human body in motion bitches, more ass more grass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    People at the olympics sometimes need that bit of extra help for us to determine their sex. Example: Caster Semenya

(female, was subjected to sex testing to actually determine that)
    Did she undergo hormone therapy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 5Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    June 2012
    1,199 Posts
    Why are you guys eagerly watching the olympics for tight asses

most of the women athletes aren't even hot

just go outside and watch real volleyball (I know it's hard, but I assure you, you can do it.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    6,414 Posts
    Why are you guys eagerly watching the olympics for tight asses

most of the women athletes aren't even hot

just go outside and watch real volleyball (I know it's hard, but I assure you, you can do it.)
    NTY, I'll stay in with my HD video stream, bag of cheesy poofs and beer thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    July 2012
    100 Posts
    Athletes dressing lightly? During summer?
    Preposterous and highly outrageous.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 14 (list)