1. Post #161
    Extraction Point
    July 2006
    8,162 Posts
    I've thought about this but urrghghhhh I've cut myself pretty bad with razorblades in the past (not my face, just accidentally mishandling a blade, I stepped on one once)

Also I've peeled way too many potatoes to want to put a single sharp blade near my face.

I use the gillette blades with like the set of 3, and it's not ideal to be honest, it usually takes two runs (shave downwards first time, then shave up to get baby's arse smooth) and I get razor burn like a biiiitch.

I might go down to the double razor safety blades, but I don't think I can get down to one because it makes me cringe so fucking hard.

2. Post #162
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    You can't really cut yourself that much with a DE, after-all they are also known as "Safety Razors". If you're apprehensive about getting cut, just get a mild DE like an Edwin Jagger. Either way you can skip altogether the annoying razor burn by going DE.

3. Post #163
    March 2010
    7,896 Posts
    Whats the name on the package? Most likely its definitely worth more than 10 dollars used, let alone more if unopened in it's box. If it's an unopened Gillette Fatboy, then it's worth 170 dollars.

Buy the razor.
    I didn't think fatboys were made in the 70's? But yeah I'd say go for it.

4. Post #164
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    745 Posts
    My stuff came in the mail today! It all smells so damn good. Here's the Merkur 34C, and badger hair brush. I got some of that Proraso cream too.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

5. Post #165
    December 2011
    547 Posts
    is it easy to nic yourself with the Merkur type razors?

6. Post #166

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    I didn't think fatboys were made in the 70's? But yeah I'd say go for it.
    You're right they weren't.

is it easy to nic yourself with the Merkur type razors?
    It depends entirely on the model of the razor. For example the Merkur Futur is much more aggressive than Merkur Progress, even though they're both adjustable razors.

7. Post #167
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    2,945 Posts
    I'm really glad I found this thread. I've been shaving with awful BIC-like razors, you know, the kind you have to throw away after one shave, for years. I think I'm going to invest in some proper shaving gear since almost every time I shave, my face is bleeding because of the shitey blades and irritating shaving cream. I have a pretty sensitive skin and the occasional acne isn't helping either. Thanks for this, OP.

8. Post #168
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    5,430 Posts
    shaved today with my new de razor. i like it, just need to get used to it. i really like the sandlewood shaving cream. has a really nice smell to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #169
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    745 Posts
    I too shaved today with my new Merkur! It was definitely the closest shave I've ever had so far. I nicked myself on my chin, my lip, and on some acne a little, but over-all it was pretty good and I'm really looking forward to getting used to this.
    The Proraso cream had a particularly strong smell, but it definitely added to the whole experience.
    I never thought I'd look forward to shaving, but now I have a reason to. Thank you for this thread and information!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

10. Post #170
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,316 Posts
    My beard grows thick and fast, manual razors such as the Gilette Mach 3 hurt and tug like they're blunt causing bleeding every time, even with a brand new razor, I hate shaving for this reason.

Would using a single blade like this glide through and not feel like I'm rubbing sand paper against myself? I've taken to just having a beard and shaving the neckbeard so I have to endure it far less.

11. Post #171

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    I'm really glad I found this thread. I've been shaving with awful BIC-like razors, you know, the kind you have to throw away after one shave, for years. I think I'm going to invest in some proper shaving gear since almost every time I shave, my face is bleeding because of the shitey blades and irritating shaving cream. I have a pretty sensitive skin and the occasional acne isn't helping either. Thanks for this, OP.
    Np, I think a lot of us have gotten our start in wetshaving from being dissatisfied with what we used before.

I too shaved today with my new Merkur! It was definitely the closest shave I've ever had so far. I nicked myself on my chin, my lip, and on some acne a little, but over-all it was pretty good and I'm really looking forward to getting used to this.
    The Proraso cream had a particularly strong smell, but it definitely added to the whole experience.
    I never thought I'd look forward to shaving, but now I have a reason to. Thank you for this thread and information!
    Did you apply any pressure, that's usually the culprit for nicks. Think of the razor as a paintbrush, you want it to make contact with your face ever-so-lightly.

My beard grows thick and fast, manual razors such as the Gilette Mach 3 hurt and tug like they're blunt causing bleeding every time, even with a brand new razor, I hate shaving for this reason.

Would using a single blade like this glide through and not feel like I'm rubbing sand paper against myself? I've taken to just having a beard and shaving the neckbeard so I have to endure it far less.
    Yeah using a DE would glide right through your hair, it's the best part of using one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    745 Posts
    Did you apply any pressure, that's usually the culprit for nicks. Think of the razor as a paintbrush, you want it to make contact with your face ever-so-lightly.
    I tried not to, I tried to be light, I'm still getting used to it. At some points I felt like it needed a little bit, but I was mostly trying to correct the angle so that the razor would hit the hairs properly.

13. Post #173

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    I tried not to, I tried to be light, I'm still getting used to it. At some points I felt like it needed a little bit, but I was mostly trying to correct the angle so that the razor would hit the hairs properly.
    Yeah, it simply takes some time to get used to it. The best part for me was knowing that my shaves were only getting better and better. Now-a-days I'm getting 9/10 shaves everyday.

-unrelated-

I'd like to upgrade past my 8 dollar brush, with a Simpsons Brush. They're supposed to be the Cadillac of brushes.

The problem is that they're expensive as hell, the one I linked is 250 dollars and they're sold-out in all the places I looked so it means hoards of people are actually buying them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

14. Post #174
    Well Rolled
    July 2006
    745 Posts
    Yeah, it simply takes some time to get used to it. The best part for me was knowing that my shaves were only getting better and better. Now-a-days I'm getting 9/10 shaves everyday.

I'd like to upgrade past my 8 dollar brush, with a Simpsons Brush. They're supposed to be the Cadillac of brushes.

The problem is that they're expensive as hell, the one I linked is 250 dollars and they're sold-out in all the places I looked so it means hoards of people are actually buying them.
    I could imagine how that would be, this does feel a lot different in comparison to consumer razors. It actually feels like it takes skill and finesse rather than just zipping it all off too quickly to care.

That looks like a pretty nice brush, I could imagine they're expensive.

15. Post #175

April 2011
    4,491 Posts

-unrelated-

Why does it have badger written on it? Is it made of badger hair?

16. Post #176

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    Why does it have badger written on it? Is it made of badger hair?
    It is made out of badger hair, silver-tipped to be exact.

17. Post #177
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    Soak your hair first, hot towel or just in the shower, apply some moisturiser to your beard then shave the problem parts last, the heat and moisturiser should soften the hair enough. If not, try with the grain then across the grain before going against, taking off too much at once can fuck your skin up

Edited:

A good badger brush would cost you more than 10 bucks, boar bristle ain't worth shit IMO
    Holy shit thank you, it worked and I feel amazing now. Only instead of a towel I just soaked my face in the warm shower water for a minute.

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    1,206 Posts
    All my ordered stuff is ariving piece by piece, hopefully tomorrow the handle + soap will arrive :D looking forward to snapping some bic razors if this goes well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    4,890 Posts
    I tried using an electric razor once.
    Never have I ever cut or burnt my self more in my life.
    I've never touched the fucking things since.

20. Post #180

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    All my ordered stuff is ariving piece by piece, hopefully tomorrow the handle + soap will arrive :D looking forward to snapping some bic razors if this goes well.
    no need to snap them, better relegate them to ass hair duty.

updated OP a bit, It was messy beforehand.

21. Post #181

April 2011
    4,491 Posts
    I tried using an electric razor once.
    Never have I ever cut or burnt my self more in my life.
    I've never touched the fucking things since.
    What did you do, take the cover off the blades and mash them onto your skin while it was on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    black people
    April 2008
    3,931 Posts
    When I went down to visit home I went to the mall and notice a new store was up. It's called "The art of shaving" and it looked really really cool. It had all the stuff in this thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    most people dont think your attention is worth a dollar but i do
    February 2005
    3,368 Posts
    I just went to a small shop and bought my first Merkur 33C and first wet shaving 'kit' of sorts with a badger hair brush and a Proraso cream. Oh - my - what. It's the best shave I've ever had. Didn't but myself once in the first go, made sure not to kill myself when I went close to the jugular, either. Got a little too cocky second time around and left a small cut on my right jawline but this is still the best way to shave ever. I feel really good afterwards and I'm totally pumped for the day!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #184

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    When I went down to visit home I went to the mall and notice a new store was up. It's called "The art of shaving" and it looked really really cool. It had all the stuff in this thread.
    Yeah, It's nice that there's actually a chain of places that cater to this stuff. They have okay prices on a lot of things, if you're getting a brush from there though it be better to look elsewhere.

25. Post #185
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,715 Posts
    I'm sorry but my Braun Series 7 shaver disagrees with the idea of wet shaving.

26. Post #186
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,337 Posts
    Why are so many men obsessed with the closest shave possible?
    I shave every other day, but I don't orgasm over it.

27. Post #187
    December 2009
    4,864 Posts
    It's a way for men to really make an effort with their appearance without any potential "feminine" assumptions, and a close shave shows careful attention to detail and hygiene which rarely goes unnoticed.

It's also relaxing as fuck

Edited:

Holy shit thank you, it worked and I feel amazing now. Only instead of a towel I just soaked my face in the warm shower water for a minute.
    Glad it worked friend
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    I do like the idea of "Wet Shaving" though, is it easy to cut yourself like with a straight razor?

29. Post #189

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    A straight razor can be easy to cut yourself with since it has no blade guards, but not with a Safety-Razor a.k.a DE, especially if you don't apply any pressure.

30. Post #190
    Der FΓΌhrer
    January 2011
    4,077 Posts
    I just use one of these and wetshave

smooth as hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #191
    Headphone doctor
    April 2010
    5,449 Posts
    I've had my treat blades, name-less handle and cheap foam for about two weeks now (~£10 shaving kit) and for the price, I'm very surprised at how good of a shave I'm getting, it's faster and much more enjoyable over the electric razer, no more razor burn, I've cut myself a few times now but nothing more than a slight nick that produces no more than a drop of blood.

I can't imagine how good of a shave you can get with reputable blades and cream, I'll invest in a better brush and cream in the coming future, then move to feather blades, but I'm happy thus, cheers Lamar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #192
    July 2009
    682 Posts
    I just had the best shave of my life! My stuff arrived today and I decided to try it out, the blade itself doesn't pull or irritate. I did nick myself quite a few times (mostly minor that didn't bleed much), and the soap burns it a bit. But that's okay, it's not nearly as bad as cartridge blades.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #193
    August 2010
    2,723 Posts

the second i saw this thread i thought of this.

i don't really care about what my razor is when i'm shaving, it's more about the next few days afterwards. that's when you can really tell the razor's quality.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #194

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    I've had my treat blades, name-less handle and cheap foam for about two weeks now (~£10 shaving kit) and for the price, I'm very surprised at how good of a shave I'm getting, it's faster and much more enjoyable over the electric razer, no more razor burn, I've cut myself a few times now but nothing more than a slight nick that produces no more than a drop of blood.

I can't imagine how good of a shave you can get with reputable blades and cream, I'll invest in a better brush and cream in the coming future, then move to feather blades, but I'm happy thus, cheers Lamar.
    I'm glad you're getting good shaves with the stuff you have so far now. Those treet blades must be better than I originally thought and like you said it'll probably even get better once you try Feathers or any higher-end blade. Better cream and a brush will definitely make a difference as well. Speaking of brushes, I ordered a Shavemac 177 Silvertip which ought to be a really nice one. I'm going to leave an update on my take of silvertip brushes in the next couple of days.

In unrelated news, I gave my older brother who returned home from lawschool my old DE and some feather blades. The guy shaved everyday for the past 3 years using only 4 fusion cartridge blades.. I don't even know how someone can persevere through something like that. He really liked the DE and feather blade for his first shave with it today, but I forgot to give him the memo that you're not supposed to apply any pressure with the blades. He got a really close shave indeed..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

35. Post #195
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    1,349 Posts
    So how's the closeness of the shave as opposed to something like a Wilkinson Sword Quattro?
    Might get one of the double edged safety ones next time I'm in the chemists.

36. Post #196
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,302 Posts
    Is it true that shaving makes hair grow thicker?

I read somewhere that's an urban legend, but it's my only hope of having a full beard.

37. Post #197
    February 2010
    48 Posts
    Actually found an interesting article (that's pretty fuckin' old, yes sagacious all the same) that you guys would probably enjoy readin'.
    Linky-link

38. Post #198
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,785 Posts
    i was considering buying a nice razor like in the op but then it occurred to me that i'm 25 and can't grow a beard so probably never will be able to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #199

March 2005
    3,295 Posts
    So how's the closeness of the shave as opposed to something like a Wilkinson Sword Quattro?
    Might get one of the double edged safety ones next time I'm in the chemists.
    Generally closer, but you need the finesse to do it. First couple of shaves probably won't be closer, but it looks like a lot of new DE shavers here are posting otherwise. I can't really relate from personal experience since it's been a while since I used a cartridge razor.

I read somewhere that's an urban legend, but it's my only hope of having a full beard.
    no, it just "looks" thicker since it's been freshly cut.

40. Post #200

April 2011
    4,491 Posts

Well since you're just cutting the hair above the surface it shouldn't affect how it grows.