1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    So i've begun seeing this happen after i tried downloading CS:GO.

what happens:
    The downloads get to 93-99% and then keep flashing "Download suspended"

I was like "I guess I can't download this game" because I am able to dload games like tf2.
    Then I tried it on my brand new laptop and it suspended the download even on a diff device

but then I tried downloading source filmmaker and it happened again(on my desktop)!

My birthday came by so I received new computer parts and I tried downloading SFM and it happened again.

I've contacted steam and they haven't really helped me at all.

These are the games so far that I can't download because of this issue:
    Red orchestra 2
    Just cause 2
    CS:GO
    SFM
    Orcs must die 2
    Stalker Clear sky

it really makes me sad too not even be able to play the games on my steam list just because they won't download.

Now here are the things i've tried:
    Unchecking steam folder read-only
    Deleting appcache/config folders
    Changing download location
    running steam as administrator
    deleting random files in the folders
    resuming the game/pausing the game (multiple times)
    (may have forgot a few)

And i've been waiting on steam support to reply even though they can't figure it out for like 5 days. So i'm hoping you guys can help me figure this out <3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    17,994 Posts
    Have you tried pausing and resuming?

When it happens to me, that works and it finishes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Yea i've tried that. It will say "Downloading" and the total # MB downloaded won't change at all and just goes back to suspended.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,261 Posts
    Have you tried contacting Steam support rather than going on a forum?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    "and i've been waiting on steam support to reply even though they can't figure it out for like 5 days. So i'm hoping you guys can help me figure this out <3."

yes i have and everything they've made me try failed.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,685 Posts
    Did you happen to try entirely deleting and redownloading one of them?

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Did you happen to try entirely deleting and redownloading one of them?
    Yea, it even stops at the exact same percent as the first time i've tried downloading it.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    832 Posts
    Yea, it even stops at the exact same percent as the first time i've tried downloading it.
    Oops. Didn't read, sorry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    August 2011
    628 Posts
    Post some details about the hdd type.

The steam folder might not have the correct file write-permission in the first place and that happens on alot of hdd types.

It is known that for most steam users:
    Steam itself exposes a critical vulnerability in changing folder permissions of its \Program Files\Steam directory, allowing all unprivileged users to replace, modify and/or remove Steams core binaries.

So, most likely, your problem remains: that folder permission changing isn't properly done.

You can also try this small registry tweak to take ownership rights to the steam folder:

Take Ownership (For Vista / Win7, don't even ask about the old XP)

What is does is:
    "Taking ownership of a file/directory gives you direct read/write access to the file (without going through UAC) and forces other users to go through UAC to get such access. Now that Vista finally has a sane notion of file ownership (like Linux and Mac have had for years), this sort of thing comes in major handy (especially when you often change files like C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS)" (source)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Romania Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,333 Posts
    have you tried pressing "play" when it gets stuck (in the download list).. When it freezes like that for me, it suddenly jumps to 100% as if it's been done the entire time, and the game works fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Post some details about the hdd type.

The steam folder might not have the correct file write-permission in the first place and that happens on alot of hdd types.

It is known that for most steam users:
    Steam itself exposes a critical vulnerability in changing folder permissions of its \Program Files\Steam directory, allowing all unprivileged users to replace, modify and/or remove Steams core binaries.

So, most likely, your problem remains: that folder permission changing isn't properly done.

You can also try this small registry tweak to take ownership rights to the steam folder:

Take Ownership (For Vista / Win7, don't even ask about the old XP)

What is does is:
    "Taking ownership of a file/directory gives you direct read/write access to the file (without going through UAC) and forces other users to go through UAC to get such access. Now that Vista finally has a sane notion of file ownership (like Linux and Mac have had for years), this sort of thing comes in major handy (especially when you often change files like C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS)" (source)

I'll try this, but what I don't get is I can only download some games, but not all.

and @ Dracon, yea I have, it will say "game will be downloaded in 1 second" or another time and it just closes itself after a minute and goes back to saying the download is suspended.

Alright, I just took ownership of my whole steam folder. Gonna download 1 of the games on the list again.

12. Post #12
    Im Dallas Powers
    June 2010
    1,732 Posts
    tell us how it goes

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Alright just tried downloading just cause 2. it got to 99% like last time(3,996.7 MB / 4,013.6 MB) and it started doing the suspended>downloading>suspended flashing like last time.

We can also add S.T.A.L.K.E.R clear sky to the list of not being able to download. Whats odd about that is I was able to download clear sky when I first got it, then I deleted it waiting till I get the other games in the series too play.

edit: its happening on OMD 2. Idk whats wrong ugh.

14. Post #14

July 2012
    26 Posts
    have you trid to lick my brown cruty anus
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 7Dumb x 3Agree x 1Late x 1Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,333 Posts
    Alright just tried downloading just cause 2. it got to 99% like last time(3,996.7 MB / 4,013.6 MB) and it started doing the suspended>downloading>suspended flashing like last time.

We can also add S.T.A.L.K.E.R clear sky to the list of not being able to download. Whats odd about that is I was able to download clear sky when I first got it, then I deleted it waiting till I get the other games in the series too play.

edit: its happening on OMD 2. Idk whats wrong ugh.
    You could try finding a mirror for the files. Just make sure it's not "1337 super cracked - n0 StEaM!!11!!" and steam should recognize it fine (if you own the game, obviously). Though finding a fully updated mirror may be difficult. I know a website that does have file mirrors, but I just noticed they have a section on the site that's pretty much "how to turn these files into illegal copies" so I won't be posting it.

Really, all you can do is keep trying to contact steam support... Or, try resetting your modem or router (unplug one, or both, for 30 seconds, plug back in, turn on)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    You could try finding a mirror for the files. Just make sure it's not "1337 super cracked - n0 StEaM!!11!!" and steam should recognize it fine (if you own the game, obviously). Though finding a fully updated mirror may be difficult. I know a website that does have file mirrors, but I just noticed they have a section on the site that's pretty much "how to turn these files into illegal copies" so I won't be posting it.

Really, all you can do is keep trying to contact steam support... Or, try resetting your modem or router (unplug one, or both, for 30 seconds, plug back in, turn on)

Alright i unplugged my modem, didn't do anything. :(

If the mirrors are just mirrors to files on steam and aren't illegal you could PM it to me I guess.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,333 Posts
    Alright i unplugged my modem, didn't do anything. :(

If the mirrors are just mirrors to files on steam and aren't illegal you could PM it to me I guess.
    They aren't illegal, but it looks like they don't have any of the games that aren't working for you. I can dig around and see what I can find elsewhere though.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    916 Posts
    I can't tell if you mentioned this but what if you double click on the game so that the loading bar appears? That usually doesn't pause for me under any circumstances.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,333 Posts
    I can't tell if you mentioned this but what if you double click on the game so that the loading bar appears? That usually doesn't pause for me under any circumstances.
    mentioned already.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    yea, when the loading bar appears it usually disappears shortly after and goes back to doing the same ol' same ol'.

I reinstalled steam (moved all my game folders out before i uninstalled). I'm downloading a game(OMD 2) to see if it gets 100% this time.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    2,908 Posts
    have you tried verifying the game files when the game download is paused?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    have you tried verifying the game files when the game download is paused?
    Just did with OMD 2, didn't work. :(

got an error this time: "An error occured while updating Orcs Must die 2 (Connection timeout)"

23. Post #23
    RAIN BOW DASH IS TEH BEST PONY! SWAG!
    November 2010
    1,588 Posts
    it might be something with your firewall or router..
    did you try disabling firewall and connect directly without a router?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    it might be something with your firewall or router..
    did you try disabling firewall and connect directly without a router?
    Yea i tried connecting directly after steam support said it might be something with my connection as 1 of their suggestions.(This didn't work out, the games on the list won't download)

I'll try disabling my firewall though. (didn't seem to work)

I did download red orchestra: ostfront 41-45 last night though, and I'm downloading sonic generations right now because im about to go afk for 30ish minutes.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Alright received a message from steam to do this:

"please try this:

Click the Start button, then "Run" (or Windows key + R)

Type in:

msconfig

Choose "Selective Startup"

Uncheck the box labeled "Load Startup Items".

Now, click on the "Services" tab.

Please make sure the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box *is* checked.

Then, click "Disable All".

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, please re-check the "Steam Client Service" as this is required for Steam to function on these operating systems.

Click "OK" and allow your computer to restart.

Test the issue and let us know the results. This is for diagnostic purposes only. You should not leave your computer in this state, but it may help us determine the cause of the issue.

To set the system back to normal, launch msconfig again and choose "normal startup", close the window and restart your computer.

Should the issue continue, please provide a new Msinfo report after making the above changes. "

Which I did, then I tried downloading just cause 2 and noticed it didn't get suspended what so ever till 99% Now, I tried downloading a game and it got suspended when i went into selective startup and I started downloading just cause 2 again in normal startup and it did this. So whatever happened it helped (I also deleted client registry.blob and a config file in userdata several times throughout the process.)

But it suspended on 99% and won't download that last 1% so I don't know whats up yet, but atleast I think im getting somewhere.

26. Post #26
    Download suspended just means steam servers are busy so it tries to slow other down so they don't get overloaded too much

just wait it out or change servers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Download suspended just means steam servers are busy so it tries to slow other down so they don't get overloaded too much

just wait it out or change servers
    This is what it does

99% > download starting > download suspended. it flickers that every second. I don't think its just suspended because i've let games sit there for awhile, and I can download other games.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,740 Posts
    Have you tried taking a laptop round to a friends house and seeing if the same problem occurs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,995 Posts
    Have you tried taking a laptop round to a friends house and seeing if the same problem occurs?
    No. I thought about it, but I can download some games so I just thought it might be account wise and not really internet connection wise. But i'll try to get around and doing that.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,292 Posts
    Tried changing the download servers?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Estonia Show Events