1. Post #1
    bbc
    ERECT PENIS
    January 2011
    6,273 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner Winner x 19Dumb Dumb x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2008
    3,655 Posts
    And it'll be ignored by a lot of people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Zing Zing x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,238 Posts
    This is a decision for the parents; not the government
    Or rather, it should be...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,062 Posts
    Good now the blame can fall onto the parents when the kids get a hold of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

5. Post #5
    April 2011
    327 Posts
    I kind of understand selling a mature game to minors, but 12 and 16? Come on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,180 Posts
    Effectively killing a percentage of retail sales, the main reason I stopped going retail was because I wasn't able to buy anything alone that had an age rating on it. Ever since I've just bought games online, where no verification at all is required.

Now that I'm actually able to purchase 18+ games I still won't ever be going retail because of the shit in the past I've had with retailers. It's just not worth the hassle and getting it digital is a much more convenient method especially as I'm not a person that likes having a physical box.

I can understand this for younger children, but anything above say 12 I deem ridiculous. It's up to the parents to decide what games they allow their children to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9 (list)

7. Post #7
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,802 Posts
    Effectively killing a percentage of retail sales, the main reason I stopped going retail was because I wasn't able to buy anything alone that had an age rating on it. Ever since I've just bought games online, where no verification at all is required.

Now that I'm actually able to purchase 18+ games I still won't ever be going retail because of the shit in the past I've had with retailers. It's just not worth the hassle and getting it digital is a much more convenient method especially as I'm not a person that likes having a physical box.
    Bring ID with you, if that's not going to help you're just going to have to follow the law and get your parents to buy it, I guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,180 Posts
    Bring ID with you, if that's not going to help you're just going to have to follow the law and get your parents to buy it, I guess.
    or I can opt for the digital method which is instant and not have to queue, journey, and actually have anything physical. I still don't understand why they impose this kind of shit when there's other, more convenient methods available. They're just going to end up driving people away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    I thought this was already the case? Never mind. Anyway, I think this is a good thing.

10. Post #10
    January 2012
    739 Posts

Edited:

clearly you proles need a guiding hand since you're too stupid to make rational decisions
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    7,283 Posts
    I'm sure plenty of places will still continue to do so.

12. Post #12
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,379 Posts
    I like how their logo for "Fear" is a spider
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    12,917 Posts

I can understand this for younger children, but anything above say 12 I deem ridiculous. It's up to the parents to decide what games they allow their children to play.
    It doesn't make any sense, when you're below the age mark. Once you're a few years away from it, and have a few functional brain cells, you generally begin to see the sense of those restrictions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    August 2010
    1,520 Posts
    It doesn't make any sense, when you're below the age mark. Once you're a few years away from it, and have a few functional brain cells, you generally begin to see the sense of those restrictions.
    I don't see how video game age restrictions make sense except for restricting violent games from children who will go to preschool the next day and start hitting other kids any time they play it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,291 Posts

Yes it is up to the parents, and that is the whole point of this.

Ratings have never been legally enforced, meaning some shops have no issue selling any age rating game to younger people.

This has nothing to do with stopping kids playing games above their age rating, this is to do with stopping kids buying games above their age rating. There is no problem with their parents buying it for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    3,537 Posts

Edited:

clearly you proles need a guiding hand since you're too stupid to make rational decisions
    This law only stops retailers selling to children younger than the rating. I'm pretty sure that in a lot of places people under 18 are legally considered too stupid to make rational decisions.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    16,298 Posts
    This law only stops retailers selling to children younger than the rating. I'm pretty sure that in a lot of places people under 18 are legally considered too stupid to make rational decisions.
    its a fucking videogame

oh god now im a psychopath because i bought gta 3 when i was 11

18. Post #18
    April 2012
    5,317 Posts
    Confound their politics.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2009
    3,685 Posts
    I kind of understand selling a mature game to minors, but 12 and 16? Come on.
    While I don't agree that these games need to be restricted, they already have been for quite some time as far as I know. To buy from retailers I need to provide ID for 12 and 16's already. However, I buy all the things that I want online these days anyway.

But again, '16' games can have some pretty 'mature' stuff in them from time to time.

I say this is a good thing, because it places the blame entirely on the parents if their children get a violent video game and they don't like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Black Box Lover and Enthusiast
    August 2007
    8,306 Posts
    I always thought the symbols showcasing the contents of a game were neat.

21. Post #21
    AUTISTIC DOTA WANKER
    June 2006
    7,361 Posts
    And games are still being submitted to the BBFC (see here), so it will be a while before the public is no longer "confused" by the dual ratings.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,881 Posts
    All the big chain stores already voluntarily ID'd you if you looked remotely underage anyway, and this won't make any difference to online

23. Post #23
    March 2010
    1,311 Posts
    I'd love to see all the queues of 14 year old's faces after they're refused purchase of the latest COD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    May 2008
    817 Posts
    Fuck, is my country getting dumber and dumber?

...Oh wait. Student riots, recession and hoodies...yup. But hey, at least we have the Olympics, right?

Er, right?

Nope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10 (list)

25. Post #25
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,418 Posts
    This only happened because of the parents. If they weren't trying to make everyone else squeamish with their fucked up agendas, this never would've happened.

26. Post #26
    July 2007
    3,306 Posts
    I always thought the symbols showcasing the contents of a game were neat.
    Remembered looking at the GTA box back in the days when I was 12, immediatly bought it.

27. Post #27
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,637 Posts
    When I was like 10 my Dad used to just walk in with me and buy games that I wasn't legally old enough for. That's gonna keep happening with other people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    December 2004
    9,554 Posts
    There's no real change for the consumer really, more the retailer, before PEGI, it was the BBFC classification that most retailers volountarily adhered to them, difference now is, they can get into legal trouble for not doing.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,291 Posts
    When I was like 10 my Dad used to just walk in with me and buy games that I wasn't legally old enough for. That's gonna keep happening with other people.
    Again, that is completely fine. Parents are meant to be the ones that decide if their kids can play violent games, this just enforces that.

30. Post #30
    December 2009
    342 Posts
    Fuck, is my country getting dumber and dumber?

...Oh wait. Student riots, recession and hoodies...yup. But hey, at least we have the Olympics, right?

Er, right?

Nope.
    It sure is with people like you around.