1. Post #1

July 2012
    64 Posts
    30k bytes/sec. is the max that gmod can carry traffic

My server hosts upwards of 60 players at a time. How can I increase the amount of traffic that my server can run?

I would like the orginal traffic prior to OB, around ~90kb/s

Is there anything I can modify and what to increase the amount of traffic my server can handle

I have nearly 100mb/s upload speed and its unusable.

2. Post #2
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    You can't
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    You need to change sv_minrate and sv_maxrate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    that doesn't matter, 30k is the hard limit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    that doesn't matter, 30k is the hard limit
    No, it's not. I really don't understand how people can STILL not know what the limit of the OB engine is after all this time.

The old engine was rate capped at 30k. The OB engine has a higher limit.

Notice the 51.45 k/s inbound? That's above the 30k limit.

6. Post #6
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    that's what is being requested iirc

what's your ping without anything happening

also, high choke and loss
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    that's what is being requested iirc

what's your ping without anything happening

also, high choke and loss
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/..._Network_Graph

Area 4
    This area shows the current bandwidth usage. The in/out show the size in bytes of the last incoming and outgoing packet. The k/s shows the kilobytes per second (rolling average) recently seen in each direction.

Edited:

Found it, the max rate on the OB engine is 1048576.

8. Post #8
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    then why the fuck is OB engine's network handling so poor in comparison to the prior engine

things that were 3 times as resource hungry (contraptions) could be used in quantity without severe lag
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    then why the fuck is OB engine's network handling so poor in comparison to the prior engine

things that were 3 times as resource hungry (contraptions) could be used in quantity without severe lag
    Because the OB engine was not designed for anything above 24 players on TF2 which also doesn't have heavy physics usage?

10. Post #10
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    it's not cpu that's strained, it's the network system

11. Post #11
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    it's not cpu that's strained, it's the network system
    I never said it was the CPU that was the issue...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member

January 2012
    44 Posts
    No, it's not. I really don't understand how people can STILL not know what the limit of the OB engine is after all this time.

The old engine was rate capped at 30k. The OB engine has a higher limit.

Notice the 51.45 k/s inbound? That's above the 30k limit.

What did you have sv_minrate and sv_maxrate set to in this picture?
    Also, is going over the limit the OP mentioned snapshot overflow or is this unrelated?

13. Post #13

July 2012
    64 Posts
    Doesnt matter what i set the rates to, the most i can get out of the server is 30kb/s.

I want to know who i need to talk to and how much i need to pay to have this bandwidth limit removed. I would like to get up to 500kb/s ++

What files need to be edited and recompiled?

//rates
    rate 30000000000
    fps_max 1000
    sv_minupdaterate 800
    sv_maxupdaterate 1010
    sv_maxrate 2500000
    sv_minrate 1500000
    sv_minupdaterate 800
    sv_maxupdaterate 1010
    sv_mincmdrate 800
    sv_maxcmdrate 1010

Still lag on dedicated server , choke is like 85, when 30-40 barrels exploding, server located at home roughly 800 barrels before choke hit 80

Latency to dedicated server is 5-9 latency on home server is 4-8

Dedicated system specs for local and colo

i7 6core 3.2ghz
    16gig 1888 9-9-9-24
    revodrive solidstate raid 0 stage 2

With my systems hardware I should beable to run anything the world has to offer. I know gmod isnt perfect on the source engine.. I think I could be doing better than what I am right now,. Could some one please help me and show me whats wrong?

Some images that may help ?

When the server is with 10-15 people its play able but lag is noticeable . with 8 or less there is no choke, no lag smooth as butter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14

July 2012
    64 Posts
    So no one has any information on how I can up the amount of bandwidth for source server. All the people on this forum with epeens and egos galore and we have no solution.

Im appalled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Muh Buns
    May 2005
    2,061 Posts
    You are not the chosen one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts

I really dont understand how you guys are having issues getting past 30k.. I literally just spawn props.

17. Post #17

July 2012
    64 Posts
    Could you please share your servers IP with me so that I may connect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    Let me give you one "magic" command I found that I've used on my server for a while now:
    net_splitpacket_maxrate 50000

After that feel free to check out your network usage which can now be skyrocketed. That uncaps so much you'll run out of bandwidth sooner than enough. Also, when it comes to ping and CPU usage this will increase both, but that's what you wanted more or less. Try it.

[SUB]I wouldn't mind something in return such as hosting for our server even though it's just a single convar as I don't know when I'll lose my server :(. It took a lot of browsing IDA and staring at assembly to figure it out. Should have bruteforced the convars in the beginning, but I thought people had tried that since like almost everyone said it was impossible to uncap it. [/SUB]
    [SUB]PS: This isn't exactly a rate uncap, but works nice as such.[/SUB]

Happy hosting!

EDIT: Example with Xeon Quad Core and 1Gbps (upload) connection and the above command on linux srcds:
    Interesting max number for that command (15000 is the default for anyone wondering).

max is 1024x1024 (1mb)
    Newly found.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    that's quite interesting, i'll have to try that out.

20. Post #20

July 2012
    64 Posts
    INSANELY helped out my server however I am still getting 30-50 choke,

But what I can say this is definitely DEFINITELY working.

21. Post #21

July 2012
    64 Posts
    Is there any more of these secret little commands?

22. Post #22
    Jesus christ I love the man who found this command, HAVE MY BABIES AND ALL OF MY GRANDCHILDREN
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)