1. Post #1
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,461 Posts
    NEWBIES! SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE MORE RED TEXT!!

What is Defense of the Ancients?

Defense of the Ancients is the original map that created the "Action RTS" (ARTS) genre. It started as a map modification in Warcraft III and is now being made into it's own game with Valve using the Source engine. In short, it's a session based, Player vs. Player RPG. Ten people play on two teams of five and each person controls a hero of various ability, utility and strength. As you play in a game your hero will level up, you will gain gold, you'll kill opposing heroes and buy items to become stronger. The ultimate objective is to kill the enemies main structure in the back of their base. This takes teamwork and coordination, not something you can do by yourself as the base is also protected by AI controlled creeps that constantly spawn to defend it and towers meant to hold you back. Matches take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and when you're finished and start a new game, you pick a new hero and start all over. Nothing is persistant when it comes to something that can affect each game. That sounds simple in description but what has kept people playing it for years now are the complexities of the game.

What is the history behind Defense of the Ancients?

Defense of the Ancients started out a long time ago as a map modification in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. It was originally started by someone who went by the name Eul back in 2003. DotA is actually based on an older map from StarCraft called Aeon of Strife. When Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne released, Eul never updated the map. Probably because he went to work for Valve on Half-Life 2 and every title since (see this interview).

Variants of the map were made to replace Eul's version but none really replaced it until Steve Feak, aka Guinsoo, made DotA Allstars. Guinsoo added more heroes, the recepie system for items, and Roshan (Which is named after his bowling ball? Huh.) with his Aeigs of Immortality. He held development of the map for two years and in that time also helped make a central hub for DotA players with Steve Mescon, aka Pendragon, at dota-allstars.com. The website is now debunk since Steve and Steve now work on League of Legends.

In 2005 Guinsoo handed off development to IceFrog, the most reclusive of the DotA developers. IceFrog turned DotA into the highly competitve map it is today. While he regularly updated the map, adding new heroes, items, and fixes over time, the only evidence that he was working on it was the fact that his name was branded on the loading screen. He even refused to do interviews. Eventually he opened up his own blog and then a website, playdota.com, to communicate better with players. PlayDotA is now the central hub for DotA. IceFrog's variation of the map is the most balanced and competitive. DotA didn't become an esport until this version. It's mind boggling to think how over 100 heroes on one map can be balanced to such a point but IceFrog did it and has been doing it for years now.

At some point Valve approached IceFrog with the proposal to make DotA into a full retail game. Robin Walker, Adrian Finol (Eul), and Erik Johnson were all fans of DotA and eventually started talking to IceFrog over e-mail using the fact that they were big game developers (lol). When IceFrog expressed the want to make a sequel that was free of the restrictions in the Warcraft III engine, Valve said "Hey, we've got a great idea! Why don't you come here?" Obviously he said yes.

So how can I play it?

You can't. Yet. Sorta. You can sign up for the beta. More and more people have been getting in every day. The selection is totally random at this point but if you're in the pool you still have a chance to get into the beta.

In the meantime, they also lifted the NDA. People in the beta can talk about it, post screenshots, and stream. If you want to watch some streams check Twitch.tv or own3d.tv. There is a website dedicated to streams for Dota 2, StreamDota2.com. You can also check Reddit's Dota 2 subreddit for news and screenshots and stuff like that. You can also watch all the matched from Valve's Dota 2 reveal tournament, The International. It's a spectacular series and shows off the game very well.

Coming from League of Legends? Read this.

Written by Zorus...

Like LoL, but a lot more unforgiving.

*Abilities don't scale with items, with the exception of a certain item increasing the damage on certain ultimates.
    *There is no AD or AP as in LoL, just three attributes which give health/health regen, mana/mana regen, and attack speed/armor.
    *Also there doesn't appear to be any sort of fixed metagame, unlike League with its standard bruiser top, caster mid, support/carry bot and jungler.
    *Every hero uses mana as a resource.
    *There is no combine cost for some items, but there are items called recipes which you must buy in order to complete certain items.
    *CC is much more brutal, with fifteen second silences and five second stuns.
    *You can control more than one unit, players control their own hero and a courier, and some heroes can summon units that they control. In League there's things like Tibbers, and Shaco clones, but to control those you can only hold alt and move the unit.
    *Upon death, you lose gold. Killing a hero will not decrease their value. Bounties are pretty much the same thing, also exp reward from kills is much greater
    *You can kill your own creeps when they are under 50% hp, only with autoattacks and certain skills, this is called denying and stops a hero from killing the creep for gold, while also decreasing the exp gain from the creep.
    *Trees and elevation which can be used to advantage
    *Day/Night system, some heroes get stronger during the night (and day?)
    *A lot of mids gank, whereas in LoL mid normally doesn't gank/would gain more benefit from staying in lane
    *LoL level cap is 18 and you can only level abilities, each ability can be levelled to 5. In Dota, level cap is 25, and you can add +2 to attributes as well as level abilities to 4 and ultimates to 3, not every hero only has 3 standard skills, also the hotkeys are different for each hero (however in Dota 2 the ability hotkeys are standard QWER with some heroes having more skills that extend to d and f)
    *Certain heroes have more vision range than others.
    *Wards last longer
    *Neutral creeps do not give buffs, the equivalent to Baron drops an item which is the equivalent to Guardian Angel's passive, and also Cheese on third death
    *Two runespots, runes are items that can be taken instantly, or bottled (with an item) to be used for later, runes can double damage, make two clones of your hero, (which take and deal less damage) stealth, increase movespeed, or regenerate hp and mana greatly
    *Lane creeps give a lot more gold than in LoL
    *Unit collision is more important
    *Different types of shops, there's a unified base shop in Dota 2 but in Dota they were segmented, a secret shop in the jungle on both sides, and a sidelane shop
    *To return to base you must either walk or purchase an item that allows you to teleport to allied structures, in other words, no global recall spell
    *Towers deal less damage but fire faster, the last hit on a tower will reward extra gold, towers can be denied to the enemy team just as creeps can
    *No runepages/summoner spells
    *No bushes

and that's about it. I've played both games, switched to LoL for a long time and now I'm playing Dota 2. Some negligible things are that lane creeps are pretty damn big compared to hero units, and nomenclature of heroes isn't always standard. In LoL most heroes are called by name (Malzahar, the Prophet of the Void) whereas in Dota, you refer to a hero mostly by their occupation/title. Yurnero the Juggernaut, Krobelus the Death Prophet. Some exceptions like Zeus the Lord of Olympia or Rikimaru the Stealth Assassin.

Coming from Heroes of Newerth? Read this.

HoN has a very close relation to DotA, at least in it's early life. Over time its changed its but it still retains a lot of likeness and it the closest game to DotA between it and LoL. It does have it's differences thought. The HoN Wiki has a pages dedicated to what is the same and what is different between DotA and it. Check it here: http://honwiki.net/wiki/DotA_vs_HoN

Fucking helpful resources!!!
    Welcome to DotA. You suck! A must read for newbies.
    How to play Dota 2 in 4 Minutes A must watch for newbies.
    Ultimate Guide to Warding If you don't read this guide and take close notes you're a terrible, bad person.
    Dota 2 Wiki One of the best reference sites you'll find. Pretty much up to date within the hour of a new patch.
    The Guide section of PlayDotA Sort by rating. Use the highest rated guides. Still applicable to Dota 2.
    Dota 2 Stats A website for more in-depth stat tracking. Not maintained by Valve.
    PSA! JUNGLING ETIQUETTE
    PSA! SUPPORT ITEMS AND YOU
    PSA! U-U-U-UTILITY PART 1
    PSA! U-U-U-UTILITY PART 2
    PSA! GO AROUND AND KILL
    PSA! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN CARRY PART 1
    PSA! SO YOU THINK YOU CAN CARRY PART 2
    PSA! AREA OF INFLUENCE
    PSA! POWER TO THE PUSHER
    PSA! SUPPORT OUR SUPPORTS
    PSA! ROAM AGAINST THE MACHINE
    Reddit "Hero Discussion of the Day" Top voted posts generally have valuable info about the hero.

Archive
    I II III IV V VI VII VIII
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Dumb x 7Winner x 4Funny x 2Artistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    THE GRINCH WHO STOLE COSMETICS
    Dennab
    August 2011
    5,740 Posts
    best title ever
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    The Pain Train's a-comin! Woo woo!
    August 2010
    1,125 Posts
    Bitches love wards.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2011
    1,708 Posts
    DesKotLtes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    DesKotLtes
    Dezalores
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

7. Post #7
    January 2012
    941 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Can someone tell me what song is this, i'm gonna make a Kotl version
    It's in the top comment oh my god.

Contra.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,492 Posts
    new thread smell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    doesn't feel right when the other general chat is not even locked yet.

feels rushed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    April 2009
    8,492 Posts
    It was like that last time.

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    It's like that since ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Nyan~:3
    December 2009
    5,689 Posts
    But technically it's a day left of this month.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,030 Posts
    I like it when threads get a new start. All the old fights get forgotten and we can start new ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    April 2009
    8,492 Posts
    But technically it's a day left of this month.
    Because I make a new thread every month? Originally it was because of the lock limit, now it's just to sorta clear the air.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,788 Posts
    Yes. Thread title redemption.

17. Post #17
    April 2011
    671 Posts
    It's still not a new month yet where this forum is hosted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    April 2009
    8,492 Posts
    It's still not a new month yet where this forum is hosted
    It will be. The first page is full of people complaining about the new thread then by the 2nd page everything gets settled.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    646 Posts
    I love this game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    April 2011
    6,163 Posts
    What is your opinion on Daedalus on Rubick.

It is a fine choice, together with Shadow Blade/Ethereal Blade and Dagon 5.

Also, get Manta Style as early as possible, to become pro Rubick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    101% Asian
    April 2007
    1,958 Posts
    Is the servers down for anyone else?

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    1,119 Posts
    Had my power go off in a middle of a game, now I'm getting "Connecting to Dota 2 network..." when I start Dota 2 up. Is there a solution for this?
    Edited:
    Unless the servers actually went down between my power going down and my computer rebooting.

23. Post #23
    April 2011
    6,163 Posts
    Had my power go off in a middle of a game, now I'm getting "Connecting to Dota 2 network..." when I start Dota 2 up. Is there a solution for this?
    Solution:
    Restart and hope it doesn't happen again.
    or
    Wait it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

24. Post #24
    April 2009
    8,492 Posts
    Servers could be down, I can't connect either.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,350 Posts
    Ohhh goood ohh gooood, servers are down. Other games arent working either.

OH GOD what am i going to do
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events

26. Post #26
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,399 Posts
    fap furiously thinking about pudge's tits
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    The Pain Train's a-comin! Woo woo!
    August 2010
    1,125 Posts
    Let's get intimate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,597 Posts
    dota engine error makes game crash

cant reconnect

get abandon

low priority

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events

29. Post #29
    January 2012
    941 Posts
    why is youtube so fucking pain in the ass to upload a 15 second video.

i actually made an effort at the "give her the ward" spoof, now youtube tells me that i should wait 445 minutes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    The past year youtube's been garbage for me, can't watch embedded videos without them freezing and now I can't even watch normal videos without them freezing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    wug
    Tumornator 2: Judgement Day
    June 2010
    2,724 Posts
    The past year youtube's been garbage for me, can't watch embedded videos without them freezing and now I can't even watch normal videos without them freezing.
    Same here. The video will always glitch the fuck out and it will be pushed to the right with a large black bar on the side, the only way to fix it is to permanently watch it on small player. Even if i watch it on fullscreen it just pushes it to the right cutting off 30% of the video and i have to reload the page to watch it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events

32. Post #32
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    why is youtube so fucking pain in the ass to upload a 15 second video.

i actually made an effort at the "give her the ward" spoof, now youtube tells me that i should wait 445 minutes.
    Let me guess, you saved in .avi

33. Post #33
    January 2012
    941 Posts
    Let me guess, you saved in .avi
    yes
    what format should i render

Edited:

sony vegas 11

34. Post #34
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    16,461 Posts
    Next thread title.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    yes

Edited:

sony vegas 11
    Anything but avi

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,189 Posts
    yes

Edited:

sony vegas 11
    If you're not playing in a widescreen resolution dont render it as one and I find .mp4 the best for Youtube. This is what happens if you do.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    January 2012
    941 Posts
    This has been a long time problem, now i fixed it lel
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Doesn't sound good sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Is that a rocket in your pocket?
    March 2010
    8,399 Posts
    sounds good enough to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #40
    April 2009
    8,492 Posts
    Next thread title.
    remind us to remind you.