1. Post #1081
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    16,914 Posts
    Just realised that this blog post is called "geomancy" and meepo is a geomancer
    god damnit valve
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #1082
    February 2010
    2,846 Posts
    killing a creep doesn't remove battle hunger right now quick everyone abuse it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 3 (list)

3. Post #1083
    July 2010
    4,092 Posts
    The point is that I said earlier that I would rather have an alchemist than a sniper on my team because he's less likely to feed. I don't know why you have to get so mad about it
    This comparison isn't ideal since neither hero is particularly good, but I'll roll with it. Both heroes have poor win rates, and do terribly in competitive and pub play (outside of some 4:1 strategies with sniper, see burning dota 1 game as source). A comparison between something like CK and alch would highlight these points far more strongly since he builds more closely to alchemist.

I'm not mad, but you are pulling numbers arbitrarily out of thin air, and with no context, to support points. Your deaths do not matter without context (My CM point is a direct counter example refuting that argument). Killing the ancient matters. Killing towers and barracks to get to the ancient matters. Everything else matters in reference to that, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly, but it matters in reference to that, and only that. Kill the ancient. If you must kill enemy players to kill the ancient, that is what you do. If you must build items to kill said players, that is what you do. Your point is literally equivalent to bitching about a spy in Tf2 that suicides in to place sappers on sentry nests every single time his team tries to capture a point. He died. So what? He crippled the enemy defenses and enabled his team to secure an objective. His kill count may be zero, but he contributed highly to winning the game.

If you suicide for a full set of racks, it is frequently worth it. A good kill death ratio is generally correlated with winning, but it is not strictly the case, and that is where your line of reasoning falls flat on it's face.

I could list pages of reasons why sniper is a better pick*, but that's poor reasoning. You must take all cases, and their frequency of occurrence into consideration when making sweeping evaluations about the quality of one hero relative to another. In many cases it comes down to meta arguments. Phantom lancer and spectre suck in push metas. They wreck in 60 minute farm fests. In other cases it comes down to what individual players are capable of. Ferrari and Dendi on invoker have a far bigger impact on the game than someone like Synderin. However alchemist has been time and time again shown to be close to, if not, the bottom of the barrel in every single context, regardless of meta, and regardless of who is using him. If you want a midgame fight (which is about all he brings to the table), dozens of other heroes do better than he does, and are more flexible. The numbers do not lie on this account. His rate of accomplishing the single objective that wins the game, killing the ancient, is exceedingly low in nearly every single context. That aspect, and that aspect alone, is why he is a terrible hero.

*The lane presence sniper has due to his animations and range, the fact that he is agility (which is generally a more carry friendly attribute), the fact that his insane range makes his lack of an escape less of an issue, his mini stuns which allow him to repeatedly screw with channeling abilities, his ultimate which can be used to secure many kills that would otherwise not occur, his above average night vision, his lack of dependence on mana, a snare that is reliable, his lack of dependence on an ultimate that is down half the time, etc etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1084
    April 2011
    671 Posts
    Titopei and I just played against a Luna who said we were "early trash talking", and how it was "not paying off" when all I said was "I'm best kotl eu huehuehue" jesting, and when Luna missed 2 ults on Tito he said, "lol second time" (which was a bit rude though nothing to get really mad over). I say "Whoa, calm down it was a joke mate" and the Luna says "Doesn't matter we win anyways.", after we lose a teamfight and they start pressuring rax. Well since I was Kotl I held the rax long enough for our Phantom Lancer to get 6 slotted he carries us (and I hold a lot of pushes and push myself with travels). We eventually turn around, and the Luna was probably boiling for his "early trash talk" and how he said he was going to win. I love people like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #1085
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,802 Posts
    killing a creep doesn't remove battle hunger right now quick everyone abuse it
    We just hotfixed this.

(sorry xXSynXx )
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

6. Post #1086

7. Post #1087
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,507 Posts
    You didn't need to type up a large argument like that. I made a point earlier that I would rather have an alchemist than a feeding sniper. Then when you responded with alchemist being paper, I provided stats from http://stats.dota2.be/ on their deaths. I didn't need to compare attributes because deaths would be given from the average amount of deaths. It's a grey area whether or not sniper or alchemist would feed more because of the difference in the amount of games played. Nevertheless, I do understand what you're trying to say. Even if they feed as long as they do something greatly useful it's fine, but again, I was only talking about deaths.

I'd rather they pick alchemist and have a strong amount of hp than playing a sniper and dying around 100 times.

8. Post #1088
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,802 Posts
    "Good news everybody!"

New international page posted:
    Tickets for the 3 day Seattle event are sold out. Lucky for you, all of the games can be watched, live or as replays, in Dota 2 for free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 13 (list)

9. Post #1089
    July 2010
    4,092 Posts
    Death counts do not uniformly correlate to a heroes durability. Anti mage is extremely weak, but his mobility and magic resistance make up for it. You claim that alchemist is tanky. His armor and health values say that he is not, particularly when his ultimate is not active.

It's a grey area whether or not sniper or alchemist would feed more because of the difference in the amount of games played.
    In either case the sample size is large enough that variation should be quite low. More useful information would be the deaths in various brackets, the standard deviations, median, and mean values all at once. Raw death counts do not have much statistical relevance by themselves.

Other values like how targets are prioritized are impossible, or exceedingly difficult, to determine from the data that is available from the endgame stats.

10. Post #1090
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,199 Posts
    Is it just me or can you not make dominated creeps follow you since the last patch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

11. Post #1091
    April 2011
    407 Posts
    I see more snipers feed than alchemist. First game alchemist, 0-4-12, ok you did fine. First game sniper, 3-10-5.
    Sniper is a noob trap hero.

Players pick him because they don't want to worry about mana management and assume range=safety.

When a player picks alchemist, they tend to be some wiseacre trying to prove that all heroes are equally powerful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #1092
    April 2011
    651 Posts
    Speaking of Alchemist I just carried for the first time as him. I ended the game with 35 Armor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

13. Post #1093
    June 2011
    2,946 Posts
    From what i read in the blog it seems that Timebreaker will be super duper rare shit worth 5000 earbuds.

Edited:

Just realised that this blog post is called "geomancy" and meepo is a geomancer
    god damnit valve
    i love you for figuring this out and i love Valve for these ,,riddles".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #1094
    Grass Poison
    March 2010
    16,914 Posts
    From what i read in the blog it seems that Timebreaker will be super duper rare shit worth 5000 earbuds.

Edited:

i love you for figuring this out and i love Valve for these ,,riddles".
    Well I was on queque and decided to read the new blogpost, and wondered what the title had to do with the post, then I remembered that valve has been teasing meepo since they added keeper/nyx/visage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #1095
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,802 Posts
    Except for the fact that there are 24000 of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #1096
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,016 Posts
    "alchemist isn't a bad hero, he's just not as good as every other carry!" is the most retarded argument i have ever heard in my life

what the fuck other scale are we supposed to judge him on? his power versus LoL champions?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1097
    November 2010
    79 Posts
    Just met a Storm Spirit that kept pausing whenver he got ganked, and unpaused; ulted away. Is this reportable? It pisses me off so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Hong Kong Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1098
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    I worked my ass off to make the best build possible with cheats ingame. He attacked nonstop but either you get tons of attack speed or actual damage over 200, which I can get WD to inflict with far less farm and more HP and usefulness (in the form of skills and free item slots). If I DO build tons of attack speed or damage (you can only pick one) you forego HEALTH, which I can effectively top off at around 2.4k if I throw away shoes to actually get stats all while maintaining attack power at the hypothetical 80 minute mark in a game. Heart of Tarassque will yield 4.4k HP but your damage output suffers a lot unless you once again throw away your boots or gimp your attack speed significantly or your damage significantly. He's one of those triangle charts where you pull one corner and the other two shrink, pretty much, with the points being health/damage/attack speed (his implied strength).

I can effectively make 1.3k gold in under a minute jungling with him lategame, but this is with all of his items already so there's no point to the mega farm.

If you fight in the acid spray, with 240 damage hitting as fast as possible you can probably tear people to shreds but you're hoping to god nobody stuns or even just focuses you since I had to pass on a bkb to deal the same damage the average lategame fed carry does. This is the most unorthodox situation with maximum feed and I still feel like he's pretty useless just because of how much shit I needed to be a threat. (MoM, Mjolnir, AC, MKB, Daedalus, phase boots) Maybe butterfly for extra defense, evasion and speed instead of one of those, or tarassque instead of one- I had a hard time even picking good items to maximize his potential.

I love alch as a character, he's my favorite interaction between two people in a single hero, but he really needs a rework.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #1099
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,802 Posts
    Just met a Storm Spirit that kept pausing whenver he got ganked, and unpaused; ulted away. Is this reportable? It pisses me off so much.
    singsing does that all the time, to buy items before dying, however.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 10 (list)

20. Post #1100
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    I am submitting this as a Fail of the Week. Watch Brewmaster (me) or Antimage.
    Also during the same match, look at this, where BS rages AM instead of himself and dies for it, and the low-health AM's failed escape from me (somehow).

Dxtory is messing up. Not going to post it myself :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

21. Post #1101
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,447 Posts
    - Juggernaut: Fixed Bladefury showing per target visual effect when hurting invis units.

Noooo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

22. Post #1102
    April 2011
    6,239 Posts
    That thing looks kind of ugly and now VALVe made the tradetards furiously trade-happy.

Valve really needs to add a surrender/forfeit/concede (Whatever the fuck you want to call it) feature to the game.
    Whats the point of that? I've seen a lot of lost cause games turn around, at this point it almost feels like part of the game to convince people to not give up the second they take one of the inner-towers.

by the way hunger is bugged due to this patch, it doesn't dispel when you deny or creep
    Battle hunger! Now with 300% more OP

Also, where do everyone find these stats (x deaths among 3000000000 snipers etc)

Edit: No point disagreeing to my first statement, because they gave them immortal quality (aka vintage.v2)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

23. Post #1103
    April 2007
    4,971 Posts
    That thing looks kind of ugly and now VALVe made the tradetards furiously trade-happy.
    TIMEBREEKER FOR 5 EARBU PLZ DO NOT ADD UNLESS OFFERIGN MORE THEN 5

MY MOMMY GAVE ME HER CREDIT CARD INFO
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events

24. Post #1104
    April 2011
    671 Posts

Whats the point of that? I've seen a lot of lost cause games turn around, at this point it almost feels like part of the game to convince people to not give up the second they take one of the inner-towers.

Battle hunger! Now with 300% more OP

Also, where do everyone find these stats (x deaths among 3000000000 snipers etc)

stats.dota2.be

Also they hot fixed the Battle Hunger glitch already.

25. Post #1105
    June 2012
    586 Posts
    Except for the fact that there are 24000 of them.
    I believe it was 24000 crates which were opened, not 24000 timebreakers. There was like 9 items in the crate so there's most likely only a couple thousand. I could be wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

26. Post #1106
    January 2011
    4,171 Posts
    I believe it was 24000 crates which were opened, not 24000 timebreakers. There was like 9 items in the crate so there's most likely only a couple thousand. I could be wrong.
    I've seen people complaining that they dropped way too much. There is people who uncrated three of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

27. Post #1107
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    is there any way to fix this bug

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #1108
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    4,968 Posts
    is there any way to fix this bug

Veryfying cache hard enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

29. Post #1109
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,994 Posts
    Nah, it just pops up when the DOTA2 servers are havin' a hiccup. It fixes itself, nothing gets lost.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

30. Post #1110
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,574 Posts
    Ah so they changed the model. Looks okay now. They changed it due to copyright and the item being copied from Aion.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/Stea...68846541784343

lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Late Late x 2 (list)

31. Post #1111
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,314 Posts
    EG didnt ban AM during the draft and mouz picked him up

Black ended up with 767gpm and was completely unstoppable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

32. Post #1112
    April 2007
    4,971 Posts

There is no stopping a farmed AM, he will 5v1 your team and laugh while doing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

33. Post #1113
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    11,199 Posts

The funny thing about this was they were most likely going to put Black on a farming Sand King and just go for mass teamfight strength, but then EG banned him and forced Black onto AM

Edited:

also I'm pretty sure Tobi has no idea what North America is...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

34. Post #1114
    July 2010
    4,092 Posts
    There is no stopping a farmed AM, he will 5v1 your team and laugh while doing it
    Void, Morphling,Spectre, and push strats would like a word with you.

I always find it amusing that nobody cries when something other than antimage/morphling gets stupidly fat.

The funny thing about this was they were most likely going to put Black on a farming Sand King and just go for mass teamfight strength, but then EG banned him and forced Black onto AM

Edited:

also I'm pretty sure Tobi has no idea what North America is...
    I was actually somewhat expecting clinkz. Orchid is excellent for screwing with siren, and EG's lineup was not exactly tanky. Not to mention what happens when clinkz noms a chen centaur.

35. Post #1115
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    I think Slark is coming semi-soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

36. Post #1116
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,802 Posts
    Void, Morphling,Spectre, and push strats would like a word with you.

I always find it amusing that nobody cries when something other than antimage/morphling gets stupidly fat.
    The problem is that AM farms a lot faster and easier than void, morphling and spectre (lol, spectre needs 45+ of free farm). Oh and they dont have 5 sec blink.

37. Post #1117
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    3,085 Posts
    my brother and me were playing a match and well
    he was outworld destroyer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #1118
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,482 Posts
    my brother and me were playing a match and well
    he was outworld destroyer
    OD is really good tbh

It's really fun when their whole team has low intelligence, it really is. Good god his aura is great, nearly infinite mana unless if you get unlucky(I've seen a 2000 mana OD go from 2000 to almost 0...with the passive maxed out), even better it helps in team fights. Your team mates get nearly infinite mana, beautiful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #1119
    January 2011
    4,171 Posts
    Since the last update my fps ingame has dropped to -40 and it randomly goes to 10. I tried lowering the graphics but it's did nothing.
    Anyone else with this problem and/or know how to fix it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Argentina Show Events

40. Post #1120
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,802 Posts
    Since the last update my fps ingame has dropped to -40 and it randomly goes to 10. I tried lowering the graphics but it's did nothing.
    Anyone else with this problem and/or know how to fix it?
    Nope. Not me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)