1. Post #2681
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    This dude is a moron.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

2. Post #2682
    I bought this title for 1 dollar
    April 2009
    8,521 Posts
    I like playing people who are good at securing kills for their team.

(Slows / Stuns, ect)

What are some good ones?
    Shit thought you meant securing kills as kill stealing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #2683
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    I don't know what he does , but reffering to League as "we" I am afraid that he might be working for Riot.

This is just unprofessional, he just says about stuff in game, no in-depth reasoning like Tobi had on why this works as it does, and why this doesn't.
    It's like that Diablo incident, where Diablo II developer on Facebook said something about Diablo III, and Diablo III developer said "fuck this guy" in comments.

You are people, you have right to be assholes to each other, but you are also representing somethings. I seriously hope that David Turley (still didn't check his background) is some commentator, or at very least not any sort of developer for Riot.

Why game's industry can't be just one, big ass Wonka's Factory :<
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

4. Post #2684
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,356 Posts

Man, that desert terrain looks really cool.
    something I just noticed - next to windrunner, who is that? dazzle? witch doctor? playable satyr hellcaller?

5. Post #2685
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    18,248 Posts
    something I just noticed - next to windrunner, who is that? dazzle? witch doctor? playable satyr hellcaller?
    vengeful spirit

6. Post #2686
    September 2010
    502 Posts
    I think its Vengeful spirit maybe.

7. Post #2687
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    7,007 Posts
    This dude is a moron.
    I like how he compares total number of accounts made for a 3 year old game to number of active players in a closed beta.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #2688
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,037 Posts
    Hey here's a really cool site: http://www.dotaedge.com/

Basically you put in your opponent's team and it returns a list of counterpicks for you to use, rated and submitted by the community. It seems like a really good resource for newer players who aren't totally familiar with every hero interaction yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Late Late x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #2689
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,356 Posts
    I don't know what he does , but reffering to League as "we" I am afraid that he might be working for Riot.

This is just unprofessional, he just says about stuff in game, no in-depth reasoning like Tobi had on why this works as it does, and why this doesn't.
    It's like that Diablo incident, where Diablo II developer on Facebook said something about Diablo III, and Diablo III developer said "fuck this guy" in comments.

You are people, you have right to be assholes to each other, but you are also representing somethings. I seriously hope that David Turley (still didn't check his background) is some commentator, or at very least not any sort of developer for Riot.

Why game's industry can't be just one, big ass Wonka's Factory :<
    David Turley is currently working at Riot Games as a Community Coordinator. He is known by the name Phreak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #2690
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,542 Posts
    Guy from Riot annoied by something Tobi said

That is exactly something Phreak would do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #2691
    ASK ME ABOUT MY FLIES FETISH
    August 2009
    31,549 Posts

we have more players so we are a better game

12. Post #2692
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,542 Posts
    Someone like Phreak would be well aware that Dota is in beta but he brings up the numbers anyway.

Nevermind soon it will pass and he can go back to making more Assassin/Bruisers for LoL I think they are on like 5 or 6 in a row with no supports added still.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

13. Post #2693
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,056 Posts
    He is also wrong, Guinsoo did not invent DOTA.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #2694
    February 2009
    693 Posts
    we have more players so we are a better game
    Not to forget he's comparing registered accounts to "players which are online and in-game".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Germany Show Events

15. Post #2695
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,037 Posts
    holy moley i forgot how much fun Ogre Magi can be

16. Post #2696
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    He is also wrong, Guinsoo did not invent DOTA.
    History of Dota is so lucrative, noone inveted it really, unless we are speaking of Aeons of Strife creators.

Then people who ported it to WC3.

Then all the people who made own versions of that map with new features, items and heroes.

Then all the people who worked on combining those into one map.

Then all the people who worked on balancing it.

Dota split into a lot of titles, Demigod, Bloodline, League, Newerth, Dota 2, Smite, a bit SMNC.

Why can't all of those games just get along. By condescending Phreak just proves Tobi's point, Riot has money so they feel priveleged.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

17. Post #2697
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    4,616 Posts
    That guy is an idiot and he's only trying to make "his" game look better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Bulgaria Show Events

18. Post #2698
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,056 Posts
    Just had a pretty damn fun game as Alchemist on single draft(I got given Alchemist, Batrider and Clinkz.)

Eventually there were two divine rapiers in play, passing sides so many times. We had a really dumb Anti-Mage who did not, once, pick up the divine rapier when it was dropped by either them or us.

19. Post #2699
    May 2011
    3,248 Posts

"Dota2 has 90 CHAMPIONS"

Fuck, right after that I disregarded everything he was about to argue.

Before some dipshit comes in to say something against me, if he had any maturity, he could at least use the "correct" Dota's term for characters.   

Riot's character design isn't that great either tbh, most of them are generic:
    "on next attack-effect"
    "shield around self with some another effect"
    "Gapcloser"
    "AoE damage ultimate"
    "steroid that has more than 1 effects"
    "point-click hard CC" (I know dota has these too)

They don't really focus on balancing old champions either, few of their oldest champs are still in the gutter, while the newest ones are able to win 1 on 2 fights alone quite easily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

20. Post #2700
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,838 Posts
    holy moley i forgot how much fun Ogre Magi can be
    He's like a great big adorable teddy-bear.. Every single-draft I secretly hope he shows up.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #2701
    MORDEKAISER ES #1 HUEHUE
    September 2009
    3,192 Posts
    Take a Dota hero, simplify it to the extreme, remove all things that are hard, even mana if you want to.
    Classify half of the things as antifun and remove them

There's your "new" and innovative LoL Champion
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #2702
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    Please, let's not get League hate bandwagon going on. There are people who like it, there are people who hate it, there are lots of people in the world.

What we can agree on is that Phreak is a douche'.
    There, argument that, not the game itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #2703

August 2012
    4 Posts
    Hey here's a really cool site: http://www.dotaedge.com/

Basically you put in your opponent's team and it returns a list of counterpicks for you to use, rated and submitted by the community. It seems like a really good resource for newer players who aren't totally familiar with every hero interaction yet.
    Hey, this is my site! Hi everyone, just registered here because I saw my site was getting some traffic from these forums. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to let me know. Thanks again for using the site, the more users we have, the more accurate the counter-lists become!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #2704
    MORDEKAISER ES #1 HUEHUE
    September 2009
    3,192 Posts
    Hey, this is my site! Hi everyone, just registered here because I saw my site was getting some traffic from these forums. If anyone has any questions about it feel free to let me know. Thanks again for using the site, the more users we have, the more accurate the counter-lists become!
    Looking good so far.

Maybe add some item options for countering aswell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

25. Post #2705
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Mouz pennant in the item schema and already with a set price.

Looks like they're gonna play the International after all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #2706
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,490 Posts
    Hurrr. That player thing doesn't count as a argument. DOTA 2 is in closed beta. LoL is released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

27. Post #2707
    ~gay boi~
    July 2010
    14,542 Posts
    I'm level 30 on LoL and quite enjoy how simple it is and easy to get into.
    But if Phreak's just being a douche about it to a game that does what they are trying to do but much better.

28. Post #2708
    Dennab
    September 2011
    10,298 Posts
    Teams having finished and store-priced Pennants:
    DK
    LGD
    EHOME
    TongFu
    coL
    MUFC
    EG
    NaVi
    CLG
    Zenith
    World Elite
    AL
    iG
    Mouz

Teams from the original International 2012 list that don't have their pennants yet:
    Darer
    Moscow 5
    Orange
    mTw

Teams that have unfinished Pennants in the item schema:
    mTw

29. Post #2709

August 2012
    4 Posts
    Looking good so far.

Maybe add some item options for countering aswell?
    Could you expand on this? Currently it is mostly options for countering. You submit the enemy team and it returns a counter list. Or am I getting myself confused? (I love all input and critique, this site is evolving and is hopefully going to best reflect the concerns of the community)

30. Post #2710
    April 2011
    480 Posts
    are these tweets real?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #2711
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    I dislike the idea slightly. True, some heroes provide more edge against other heroes than some of the other picks, but it's never a hard counter.
    A good Enigma can Black Hole even against a Rubick or Vengeful Spirit and make it count, as long as he is trying, willing and focused, or just plain better than those 2 mentioned.

I'd suggest listing reasons on why X counters Y, and how effective that is, maybe even description of how the counter works, which abilities affect hero more severely.
    Without in-depth notes, site seems too tempting and easy for new players. They get promise of "you go Slardar against Riki and win!", while any "settled" player will tell you that it's not true, all you get is possibility to disable his invisibility, forcing him to remove it by magic immunity or purge, or just wait it out. It also ensures that in teamfight scenario Riki won't be able to just disappear, but it doesn't render him any weaker of a carry.

I am kind of tight-ass on this topic because of my strong belief that Dota (at least Pub dota) is pure, all-possiblities open. A place where team of 5 hard carries can beat a set of Nature's Prophet, Chen, Sylla, Crystal Maiden, Invoker kind.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #2712
    MORDEKAISER ES #1 HUEHUE
    September 2009
    3,192 Posts
    Could you expand on this? Currently it is mostly options for countering. You submit the enemy team and it returns a counter list. Or am I getting myself confused? (I love all input and critique, this site is evolving and is hopefully going to best reflect the concerns of the community)
    Some simple things like showing TP scroll as a counter for Bloodseeker etc

Maybe it could take in account the amount of CC and nukes of the enemy team and would suggest you
    to buy items like BKB, Blademail, Ghost Scepter etc. and maybe their priority seeing how even with good damage items you cant get much done as a carry when the enemy is packing perma cc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #2713
    May 2009
    1,424 Posts
    Add player comments based on the common strategies by the enemy team heroes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events

34. Post #2714
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    Add player comments based on the common strategies by the enemy team heroes.
    Will turn into PlayDota comment quality quickly.

More Wiki-approach, with editing, quality checks, etc.
    My 2 cents.

35. Post #2715

August 2012
    4 Posts
    I dislike the idea slightly. True, some heroes provide more edge against other heroes than some of the other picks, but it's never a hard counter.
    A good Enigma can Black Hole even against a Rubick or Vengeful Spirit and make it count, as long as he is trying, willing and focused, or just plain better than those 2 mentioned.

I'd suggest listing reasons on why X counters Y, and how effective that is, maybe even description of how the counter works, which abilities affect hero more severely.
    Without in-depth notes, site seems too tempting and easy for new players. They get promise of "you go Slardar against Riki and win!", while any "settled" player will tell you that it's not true, all you get is possibility to disable his invisibility, forcing him to remove it by magic immunity or purge, or just wait it out. It also ensures that in teamfight scenario Riki won't be able to just disappear, but it doesn't render him any weaker of a carry.

I am kind of tight-ass on this topic because of my strong belief that Dota (at least Pub dota) is pure, all-possiblities open. A place where team of 5 hard carries can beat a set of Nature's Prophet, Chen, Sylla, Crystal Maiden, Invoker kind.
    Oh without a doubt. I would like to address each of your points if I may.

Firstly I love the idea of adding descriptions explaining why they are good counters. The problem is this is completely community driven. Users can vote on returned counters or submit counters if they are not in the list presently. As such there is no current way to allow for descriptions about the counters unless I let everyone add their own description. At that point for some heroes you would have over 30 descriptions by several different users and that is a lot of information to parse, and large amounts of it could be simply wrong. A voting mechanic based numerically allows itself to be self-correcting over time and with enough user input. Perhaps after a hero receives x amount of votes (like 100 for example) I can manually add in a description or something, but this is definitely an idea we have been rolling around in our heads for quite some time too.

And I completely 100% agree that a good team will beat a worse team 10/10 times independent of character choices. But at the same time, a good naga can really help shut down a lycan, unlike any other hero. I do believe there are definitely hard counters to heroes, but even those at the disadvantage can always still pull out a victory.

Thanks for the criticism though, without it the site would stagnate and with it I can work to make it better. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Edited:

Some simple things like showing TP scroll as a counter for Bloodseeker etc

Maybe it could take in account the amount of CC and nukes of the enemy team and would suggest you
    to buy items like BKB, Blademail, Ghost Scepter etc. and maybe their priority seeing how even with good damage items you cant get much done as a carry when the enemy is packing perma cc
    Item countering is something we have been planning since day one but we are a very small group (just two of us) and I start school soon so unfortunately huge new features like item countering is going to come but will take a while :( Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear, I wish I could work on this full time but life sometimes is funny that way. But I do promise it will eventually be there.

36. Post #2716
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    Features for Counter site ?

Well, just out of thin air I think links to replays for players to study is a good idea.
    This is difficult though, as :
    1. You need a replay with some direct counter-plays happening (warding against Lycan, crucial through-BKB disables, outlaning).
    2. You need to somehow show/mention only given portion of replay, so that players don't have to dig through it wholly.
    3. It has to be separate for when player is looking for 1 vs 1 and 5 vs 5 counters.
    1 vs 1 - just examples of moments, better more than few
    5 vs 5 - highlits of matches, better 1 but good
    For different search numbers, not quite sure.
    4. As you said, you are busy, have little manpower and are going for user-driven data gathering, so it's future idea at best.

37. Post #2717
    April 2009
    8,521 Posts
    He's like a great big adorable teddy-bear.. Every single-draft I secretly hope he shows up.

I just love how they interact with each other its hilarious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #2718
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    Oh, right.
    I think you need to add 4th part to your "add counter".
    There is Who, Whom, How Strong, but no "When?".

For example,
    Slardar, counters Riki, 5 star counter. But Slardar does so best mid-game/early-game, as late game Riki can tear Slardar a new one, even if visible at all times, as he is a carry with strong passive.

Or Night Stalker, who greatly counters any weak/average Laner early and mid, but falls off late unless snowballing.

I think it would be greatly informative, because players will receive not just the "counters", but also timing, telling them wether they should end game asap, or can take it late (thing, which many many many people seem to miss. "Go go push mid!" - "Dude, we have 3 carries, let's farm, take maybe 1 tower, we don't need rax now ,we need gold and items" )

39. Post #2719
    April 2009
    8,521 Posts
    Oh, right.
    I think you need to add 4th part to your "add counter".
    There is Who, Whom, How Strong, but no "When?".

For example,
    Slardar, counters Riki, 5 star counter. But Slardar does so best mid-game/early-game, as late game Riki can tear Slardar a new one, even if visible at all times, as he is a carry with strong passive.

Or Night Stalker, who greatly counters any weak/average Laner early and mid, but falls off late unless snowballing.

I think it would be greatly informative, because players will receive not just the "counters", but also timing, telling them wether they should end game asap, or can take it late (thing, which many many many people seem to miss. "Go go push mid!" - "Dude, we have 3 carries, let's farm, take maybe 1 tower, we don't need rax now ,we need gold and items" )
    Slardar can just permabash Riki in a 1v1

40. Post #2720
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    5,027 Posts
    I just love how they interact with each other its hilarious
    If only lip-sync was fixed, they would be just perfect.
    It's a tiny thing, but somehow I always notice it.

I mean, Jakiro heads speak properly, fire-head won't talk when it's only ice-head line, etc.
    Ogre Magi has double-mouthing all the way for now. Though my topic about this has been moved and placed into forum area on dev.dota where I have no access.

Edited:

Slardar can just permabash Riki in a 1v1
    Unless he has an MKB (a poor choice of item for Slar) cloud and possible butterfly will keep Riki healthily kicking his ass.
    Talking purely 1 vs 1 of course, as I assume your "permabash Riki" also means 1 vs 1 without either team disablers or supports helping their carry/semi-carry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)