1. Post #1
    April 2011
    3,392 Posts
    (CNN) -- A new strain of avian flu that jumped from birds to mammals is responsible for the death of more than 160 seals off the New England coast last year, scientists announced Tuesday.

The virus could theoretically pose a threat to human health, they said.

Harbor seals -- most of them babies less than 6 months old -- began appearing with severe pneumonia and skin lesions in September of last year, the researchers said.

Over the next few months, at least 162 dead seals were recovered along the coast from Maine to Massachusetts, they said.

Mutant bird flu would be airborne, scientists say
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/health...flu/index.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 45Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    1,355 Posts

:'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 61Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    April 2011
    3,392 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 32Funny Funny x 3Late Late x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    N-not the baby seals... ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,359 Posts
    Noooooo :'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 45Funny Funny x 3 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,303 Posts
    Let's just hope it doesn't make them too sick to take out baby Osama.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,095 Posts
    Your avatar seems to suit at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I am a pasty white nerd who gets offended for black people because I have nothing better to do
    July 2006
    5,960 Posts
    nevermind, the article was formatted in a dumb way

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,375 Posts
    I hope the seal on your GIF will be ok.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly x 8Funny x 2Disagree x 1Agree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2011
    3,392 Posts
    The really bad part of this (aside from poor baby seals) is that seals are apparently a really close analogue for humans when it comes to influenza pathology. Meaning there isn't that much of a jump before you have it mutating to be capable of human-human airborne transmission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,916 Posts
    This is shitty, soon people will start getting infected, hope it doesn't become a horribly devastating pandemic.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    5,634 Posts
    This is shitty, soon people will start getting infected, hope it doesn't become a horribly devastating pandemic.
    [Madagascar joke]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Late Late x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,070 Posts
    Wow, avian flu is like the asshole of diseases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2011
    703 Posts
    So first there is Ebola in Uganda and now Bird Flu.

What next? Measles escape?

15. Post #15
    LIVE LIKE A WINDRAMMER AS YOU FUCK
    June 2010
    5,794 Posts
    Wow, avian flu is like the asshole of diseases.
    Birds in general are pretty big dicks.

Just look at that asshole. He's just waiting for you to look away so he can shit on your car.

Fucking birds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 7 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,745 Posts
    welp, time to break out the clubs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,827 Posts
    Too think assholes bash their heads in. ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    hey
    August 2006
    6,095 Posts
    Birds in general are pretty big dicks.

Just look at that asshole. He's just waiting for you to look away so he can shit on your car.

Fucking birds.

yeah man look at this bitch nigga he must run some brazilian drug cartel or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    July 2010
    31 Posts
    Stop hating on the seal clubbers. It is a respected way to make a living. Besides, look at these demon eyes!

(User was banned for this post ("Image macros" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    The Devourer of Souls
    July 2011
    3,217 Posts
    One of those articles you really wish facepunch had some sort of sadface rating for.
    Putting hearts just feels wrong.

Y u player hating on me Rhenae? It's like you just clubbed my little baby seal heart.

Bitch.
    Cause two of your image links are broken bro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2010
    31 Posts
    Y u player hating on me Rhenae? It's like you just clubbed my little baby seal heart.

Bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2010
    4,498 Posts
    ... not the baby seals
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    May 2011
    2,711 Posts
    Baby seals make me cry everytime, they look too innocent and adorable to hate. I don't understand why they, of all species, get the motherfucking bird flu.

24. Post #24
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    13,209 Posts

This is a baby harbor seal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,575 Posts
    Something happends to baby seals and facepunch flips the fuck out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    October 2010
    11,830 Posts
    Something happends to baby seals and facepunch flips the fuck out
    it's almost as bad as with kittens
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    this is literally the worst thing that has ever happened before or during my lifetime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    So it's a seal flu now?

29. Post #29
    November 2011
    331 Posts
    Hey guys!

Remember that whole 'Scientists create doomsday virus using Ferrets?' thing that was going on a couple of months ago! Where they determined that the virus was very close to being transmittable from human to human!!!

Yeah, this is that same virus.

Bird Flu is alarming as shit and makes Spanish flu look like...Some other less dangerous virus.

FYI, we all gonna die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    I DRAW SEALS
    March 2009
    6,096 Posts
    Oh no!

:(

31. Post #31
    December 2011
    2,265 Posts
    Anything but baby seals. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    July 2011
    6,163 Posts
    Why does everything bad happen to baby seals.

33. Post #33
    Hi.
    Remember that whole 'Scientists create doomsday virus using Ferrets?' thing that was going on a couple of months ago! Where they determined that the virus was very close to being transmittable from human to human!!!
    Err, no. But carry on anyway.

Yeah, this is that same virus.
    Huh, that's kinda bad to hear.

Bird Flu is alarming as shit and makes Spanish flu look like...Some other less dangerous virus.
    Again, bad to hear

FYI, we all gonna die.
    Shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Zing Zing x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    March 2011
    4,301 Posts
    Birds in general are pretty big dicks. Just look at that asshole. He's just waiting for you to look away so he can shit on your car. Fucking birds.
    I remember walking home one day from school and bird shit fell onto my hair. At least I think it was bird shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,735 Posts
    this article, of all the news about the environment, made me realise that shit's getting pretty nasty
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    October 2011
    431 Posts
    don't you guy realize? we need to kill them before they give us the disease!

Edited:

I'm so sorry baby seals ;(

37. Post #37
    April 2007
    1,245 Posts
    If avian flu has the capacity to close gaps between species like this, I think you should be worrying about other things than baby seals. This has the potential to be a huge-ass menace.

38. Post #38
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,928 Posts
    Damn penguins and their biological warfare.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)