1. Post #1
    April 2011
    112 Posts
    Oh boy what a great month we had am I right. If ya missed what happened in the old waywo, here's a quick rundown:

So this zombie game Jack Trades was working in is looking pretty badass:(totally a zombie game)

In other news, SupahVee tries new racial concepts to target different audiences. Very interesting stuff

A new concept I came up with. Sorry for the shitty quality, but camstudio fucked up my FPS.
    You guys like snake? So does this guy, as he brings it into the 21'st century and...Ya fuck it it's snake with portals. P-cool though
    Many new features, levels, bugs, and bug fixes for Snayke since I last posted. Here's some screenshots... (image scaling/cropping is all over the place, sorry)

Would you believe that Text To Speech technology has just increased through the roof, thanks to one of our very own waywo members?
    Been working on a text to speech application using Austech's voice and it's much harder than I expected. Just finished making it load sound selection cases from JSON instead of having a 500 line if statement.

Try it: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/675786/eTTS.zip

Nintendo creates a FP account to get feedback on their new Mario Kart for the WiiU
    mayro vs joshy in the kart race of the century

Edited:

gameplay

sequel to supra mayro bross, goty 2011

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/679615/mayro.html

Microsoft's Visual Studio IDE possibly in danger of new upcoming competition?

Hit indie game Nature 2 goes Open Source
    Also, some people wanted me to put Nature 2 on github after I dropped it, so here ya go: https://github.com/Austech/Nature-2. Nature 2 was this project:

Awards (You owe me grandpc):

Most respected: SuperSnail
    Best looking game: Mario Kart for the WiiU
    Overall programming king: (TBA, currently a tossup between geel or Overv, probably gonna be geel though).
    Best Dressed: Shoar (just go with it people, he really wanted this)
    This was already awarded to him down at the Guinness world records, but most tea drank in one day: Blkducky (the one with the metroid avatar)

Good luck, and have fun!

Previous threads
    Version 28 (July 2012)
    Version 27 (June 2012)
    Version 26 (May 2012)
    Version 25 (Apr 2012)
    Version 24 (Feb 2012)
    Version 23 (Jan 2012)
    Version 22 (Dec 2011)
    Version 21 (Nov 2011)
    Version 20
    Version 19
    Version 18
    Version 17
    Version 16
    Version 15
    Version 14
    Version 13
    Version 12
    Version 11
    Version 10
    Version 9
    Version 8
    Version 7
    Version 6
    Version 5
    Version 4
    Version 3
    Version 2
    Version 1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny x 13Friendly x 9Winner x 3Dumb x 2Programming King x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,497 Posts
    You are a wonderful man, Austech.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,999 Posts
    I'm going to start posting in WAYWO again. I love your hair.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,110 Posts
    thanks for the awards but my name isn't grandpc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 34 (list)

5. Post #5
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    I had some friends try out multiplayer on a test level of my game. It went reasonably well though I realized that I have to spend more time optimizing graphics and traffic that's being sent.
    Here's a short video of us shooting zombies and dicking around.
    Also, I'm not making a zombie game, I'm making a game with zombies in it. There's a difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2011
    112 Posts
    thanks for the awards but my name isn't grandpc
    Sorry man, it is now
    Also, I'm not making a zombie game, I'm making a game with zombies in it. There's a difference.
    Fixed, sorry for the confusion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,497 Posts
    ...go on?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Fixed, sorry for the confusion.
    Haha, well done.

Edited:

...go on?
    A "zombie game" would normally be focused around some sort of zombie apocalypse and would usually revolve around survival of some sort (Left4Dead, DayZ even games like Resident Evil 4 all followthis structure).

I'm making a wacky Painkiller-esque game where zombies are just simple "cannon fodder" enemies that stand in your way. No survival, no zombie apocalypse.
    I could change zombies with skeletons or slimes and the game won't change a bit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    August 2009
    381 Posts
    Been a while since I posted anything here, thought it would be a good idea to show off a game that I've been working on for a few weeks and hope to have finished and live on the web before the end of this week.

Have a free video:

Snake Invaders is a kind of twisted mashup of Pong, Snake and Space Invaders, and it's a game focussed on smooth forced skill improvement through distribution of powerups to disadvantaged players. Aren't I a friendly guy? :L
    The video explains and shows off the rest, would appreciate some feedback :)

And for anyone wondering, it's a Java application rendering with OpenGL in the LWJGL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    524 Posts
    Repost for new thread:
    Remember the android game I was working on in Unity?
    Well I'm a bit further along, still assembling things like music and touching up the art, I'd like people to download the APK and test it and tell me how it plays on different devices so i can rule out any problem cases before publishing in Autumn. :)
    http://grimpunch.breezinstein.com/

On my blog you'll find the link to download the APK. Front page.
    Controls are colour coded joysticks onscreen, can't miss em. and double tap it while still to turn on the spinning hammer motor.
    Thanks Guys!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,830 Posts
    Oh look what I got working:

Most of the images work. Just need to add the dynamic colors now and fix the bugs on some images.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Most respected: SuperSnail
    what
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,497 Posts
    This was already awarded to him down at the Guinness world records, but most tea drank in one day: Blkducky (the one with the metroid avatar)
    Seems accurate, tbh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    Wrapping Chrome TCP sockets for C, got creation, connection, read and write working:

Code:
    new socket created: 116
    socket connected with result: 0
    socket wrote 16 bytes
    socket read 128 bytes
    HTTP/1.0 302 Found
    Server: BigIP
    Connection: Keep-Alive
    Content-Length: 0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2010
    1,341 Posts
    Okay, this month I'm going to start programming again instead of spending six weeks waiting for the right moment to harvest ratings WISH ME LUCK GUYS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Late Late x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,054 Posts
    Okay, this month I'm going to start programming again instead of spending six weeks waiting for the right moment to harvest ratings WISH ME LUCK GUYS
    Not gonna fall for that one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 2Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    October 2011
    948 Posts
    Go with Overv. I mean, look at his custom title!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

18. Post #18
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    geel9 is clearly the best designer here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Person
    June 2008
    5,633 Posts
    Overv is just mad that I actually finished one of his projects
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Zing x 15Friendly x 2Funny x 2Winner x 1Optimistic x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,428 Posts
    I finally managed to install Windows SDK. How and why it was so hard to install eludes me. It's like they don't want people to use it.

Now I can compile 64-bit applications on Visual Studio.

However, there's still one annoyance: in Visual Studio, the path variable "$(WindowsSdkDir)" apparently points to an entirely wrong folder. The SDK was installed under "Program Files", and the variable points to "Program Files (x86)", resulting in Visual Studio not finding the x64 libs on its own. It works if I manually add the necessary directories.

Does anyone know where can I modify the variables in order to fix it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

21. Post #21
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    ...with shitty UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Zing Zing x 23Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Person
    June 2008
    5,633 Posts
    ...with shitty UI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 64Zing Zing x 4Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23

June 2011
    219 Posts
    Repost, but I failed to post the right link before...

This has been transmitted with a cheap 433 MHz module and received with a cheap Software Defined Radio (a DVB-T USB dongle).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28079852/sdr/recording.wav

(User was permabanned for this post ("wait out your ban" - Gran PC))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 54 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,705 Posts
    Repost, but I failed to post the right link before...

This has been transmitted with a cheap 433 MHz module and received with a cheap Software Defined Radio (a DVB-T USB dongle).

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28079852/sdr/recording.wav
    I'm imagining bioshock-esque music playing from it; that'd sound awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,616 Posts
    Just wrote an entire particle system, complete with saving, loading, and UI bindings in 2 hours.

... and it worked on the first build!

Well, most of it - I screwed up the angles settings

Don't you love the feeling when you spend time writing something, and it Just Works?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

27. Post #27

June 2011
    219 Posts
    Just wrote an entire particle system, complete with saving, loading, and UI bindings in 2 hours.

... and it worked on the first build!

Well, most of it - I screwed up the angles settings

Don't you love the feeling when you spend time writing something, and it Just Works?
    I heard it's better than sex

Not that I'd know though, I had neither
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 12Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,497 Posts
    So uh... does the capitalisation in the title annoy anyone else or just me? The previous threads didn't do that.

I'm afraid of change   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

29. Post #29
    October 2011
    948 Posts
    I never noticed it before, metroid avatar.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,830 Posts

so many posts about something as little as this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    February 2008
    558 Posts

so many posts about something as little as this.
    Your colours look weird, did you know that the palettes are in BGR format?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

32. Post #32
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,830 Posts
    Your colours look weird, did you know that the palettes are in BGR format?
    I don't think that matters here. I didn't take the colors directly from the palette ingame, but rather from the RBG palette from a screenshot in Photoshop.
    But that does explain why the colors looked like shit when I tried getting it from ingame.
    Also, I think that I've fixed the colors now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,122 Posts
    Fucking hell. Every Android device has that awesome crop feature where you can select which part of your wallpaper you want to use. Naturally everyone wanted to do that when selecting a wallpaper for my 3D thingy too. I can't blame them.
    Thanks to Android's intent system you can easily use features of other apps without having to implement it yourself. You don't have to code an email, client, gallery, browser, music picker, etc. In Android <1.6 they also included an intent to crop images like that.
    Well, those fuckers removed it and I now had to use some library someone made where he copied some code from the 1.6 AOSP, but I finally got it work now and even rewrote like 50% of my app because the code sucked HARD.

TL;DR: Cropping is hard :(

Edit:
    Screenshot because otherwise nobody would read my post:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    October 2009
    1,973 Posts
    No highlights from me.

I suddenly have the urge to peel bananas furiously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #35

August 2012
    17 Posts
    A mediocre Rune Scape Private server.. That's what I use to learn Java.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    977 Posts
    No one even needs to ask how you store passwords...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Person
    June 2008
    5,633 Posts
    No one even needs to ask how you store passwords...
    For the most recent project where I had to store passwords, SHA256 with a salt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,267 Posts
    The one time the GNU feels it isn't right to implement its own extensions is cpp, which is just bullshit. I'd give my left nut for a capitalizing macro builtin. (And now I kind of wish they'd extended the namespace block syntax so you can enter a nested namespace too. I don't know why the ISO never got to that.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Thailand Show Events

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    955 Posts
    On the note of the .cpp extension, why do so many C++ projects use .h/.cpp? Or for that matter .h/.cc?
    I realize there's no direct standard for them, but why not use the extensions that at least seem to fit together?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,185 Posts
    The one time the GNU feels it isn't right to implement its own extensions is cpp, which is just bullshit. I'd give my left nut for a capitalizing macro builtin. (And now I kind of wish they'd extended the namespace block syntax so you can enter a nested namespace too. I don't know why the ISO never got to that.)
    There's loads of GNU extensions for C because they implement C++ functionality, but they do also have a bunch of stuff for that language as well, I believe. Let's see... Ah.

Edited:

On the note of the .cpp extension, why do so many C++ projects use .h/.cpp? Or for that matter .h/.cc?
    I realize there's no direct standard for them, but why not use the extensions that at least seem to fit together?
    I think some IDEs by default use .h for C++, at least. Lately I've been starting to use .hpp, primarily because github considers every .h file C and I don't like the graphs being wrong
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)