1. Post #121
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,335 Posts
    force a bluescreen
    You gotta be tactical about it; if blue is everywhere then the little bastard might just shit all over the place in fear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Hi.
    July 2011
    4,259 Posts
    Trying to create a SourceMod plugin for a Hidden:Source(yeah that's an old mod) server.

Sourcepawn has me frustrated over all these little things that I keep forgetting, like null terminated strings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

3. Post #123
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    force a bluescreen
    That's like torturing it while giving it no clue how to escape that treatment.

It's currently chilling out by the top-right corner of my screen. It's like a walking dead pixel, damn it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,528 Posts
    I'm working on mruby with matz! Well, I've submitted a bug report and he's merged two of my pull requests. Open source development is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    good lord i'm awful at things.
    June 2010
    310 Posts
    my game went from alpha to beta. just need to make killing enemies more fun, add in coins or some shit, maybe items, a few puzzles, some cutscenes, and bam, i'm done.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    I spent the better part of today finishing up my OpenAL wrapper classes and trying to get microphone input working. I was trying to read more data than it recorded so it decided to write the entire buffer out as 0s, instead of, you know, writing data up to the point that it had recorded.

Now I get to listen to my own voice on microphone while I try to get it to work over a network. Anyone else think their voice is kinda weird when played back from a microphone?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #127
    Zyx
    Guest 3855 is lost and can't find the park exit
    February 2005
    2,816 Posts
    Apparently I got a very tiny bug or whatever stuck under my LCD display.

I found out that it hates the colour blue and likes white in rapid flashes, so I'm writing a special app to run in fullscreen and drive it out of there, one pixel at a time.

Sigh.
    Once I got a bug under my screen as well. Although it decided to die while being in there.

Also, content:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,916 Posts
    There's something mystical about when a dog walks on your keyboard but only leaves a comment that doesn't interfere with your code
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23 (list)

9. Post #129
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    I spent the better part of today finishing up my OpenAL wrapper classes and trying to get microphone input working. I was trying to read more data than it recorded so it decided to write the entire buffer out as 0s, instead of, you know, writing data up to the point that it had recorded.

Now I get to listen to my own voice on microphone while I try to get it to work over a network. Anyone else think their voice is kinda weird when played back from a microphone?
    It's because when you speak your voice vibrates your head and that affects your inner ear so you sound different to yourself than to others. That being said, I think everyone feels like they sound terrible when they hear themselves through a microphone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    July 2009
    7,054 Posts
    There's something mystical about when a dog walks on your keyboard but only leaves a comment that doesn't interfere with your code
    That'd make for a good TV show: "The Dog (who walks across a keyboard) Whisperer"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    2,564 Posts

I found out that it hates the colour blue and likes white in rapid flashes, so I'm writing a special app to run in fullscreen and drive it out of there, one pixel at a time.

Sigh.
    I got a similar bug a few days ago and I tried flicking it to make it run away.

It died and is now a comma forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    I can't believe I've actually made a blur shader.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 11Programming King Programming King x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,335 Posts
    Well, was his advice any good?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,150 Posts
    That's like torturing it while giving it no clue how to escape that treatment.

It's currently chilling out by the top-right corner of my screen. It's like a walking dead pixel, damn it.
    Better hurry up before it dies and gets stuck in there :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts

Sigh.
    The difference between programmers and other people. Anyone else would open up the panel or just deal with it. Programmers write code to do it for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    The difference between programmers and people. Anyone else would open up the panel or just deal with it. Programmers write code to do it for them.
    FTFY

(On a more serious note that's probably a reasonable solution, actually!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Finland Show Events

17. Post #137
    My PC is the best, it runs my game at 3750 FPS!

How do I use gettimeofday or clock_gettime to get current time in floating-point seconds?
    My code:
    gettimeofday:
    Code:
    double OS_GetCounter(void)
    {
        struct timeval tp;
        if (gettimeofday(&tp, NULL))
            OS_Error("OS_GetCounter: call to gettimeofday failed");
        return (double)(tp.tv_sec) + ((double)(tp.tv_usec) * 0.000001);
    }
    clock_gettime:
    Code:
    double OS_GetCounter(void)
    {
        struct timespec tp;
        if (clock_gettime(CLOCK_PROCESS_CPUTIME_ID, &tp))
            OS_Error("OS_GetCounter: call to clock_gettime failed");
        return (double)(tp.tv_sec) + ((double)(tp.tv_nsec) * 0.000000001);
    }
    Both give 2000-4000 FPS instead of 60.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

18. Post #138
    June 2010
    1,337 Posts
    programmer art for my latest venture:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,667 Posts
    First time making a HUD. GWEN is a pain to get working with Source, can't use VGUI since Valve broke the static libs couple years ago, so I decided to make my own in Lua.

I have to say, I'm rather pleased with the result. I have no artistic talent of my own, so I just imitated SimpleGUI.

I also somehow managed to break the console.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 11Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #140
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,816 Posts
    Almost RollerCoaster Tycoon. Oh it's on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 15Winner Winner x 5Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

21. Post #141
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts
    Don't know why but I had the urge to make this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

22. Post #142
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,095 Posts
    So I haven't been around here very often, but rest assured, I do work on my projects.
    The latest one is something pretty interesting: it's a x86 machine code interpreter!
    Code:
    [BITS 32]
    mov eax, 64
    mov ecx, 1024
    add eax, ecx
    mov dword [123], 576
    mov ecx, [123]
    sub eax, ecx
    add ebx, 10
    sub ebx, 10
    That's the nasm code for my test binary.
    It compiles to:
    Code:
    B8 40 00 00 00 B9 00 04  00 00 01 C8 C7 05 7B 00
    00 00 40 02 00 00 8B 0D  7B 00 00 00 29 C8 81 C3
    This is what's interpreted by my program. And I think it does a pretty good job :
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 6 (list)

23. Post #143
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    after many hours of burning bud and tearing my hair out trying to figure this shit out, my first game that allows an infinite (within reason) amount of players to play in the same world using 39dll

now time to make an actual game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Just a note for people using OpenAL: It's not open. However, OpenAL Soft is open.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Just a note for people using OpenAL: It's not open. However, OpenAL Soft is open.
    Any good alternative suggestions then?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

26. Post #146
    January 2012
    347 Posts
    Got a friend to make a logo for my mmorpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 21Winner x 3Funny x 3Disagree x 2Late x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1Zing x 1Programming King x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #147
    October 2011
    508 Posts
    Then why do they call it OPEN AL?

after many hours of burning bud and tearing my hair out trying to figure this shit out, my first game that allows an infinite (within reason) amount of players to play in the same world using 39dll

now time to make an actual game.
    Then try to the same in C++ (actually it is C you do socket stuff in)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,037 Posts
    Because buzzword
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    It was originally developed by Loki Software (Linux porters who went bankrupt, gave us SDL, Icculus and the lead developer of SDL who use to be in Loki now works at Valve), but it wasn't under a copyleft license like the GPL. It went LGPL eventually but then Creative Technology made it proprietary, I think by forking the BSD licensed code. This is why we can't have nice things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 5 (list)

30. Post #150
    So I'm making this tool for people who aren't that tech-savvy (or just lazy) to install/set-up mods or anything else.

The idea is this:
    - Person A makes something that requires multiple steps to install (eg. unpack this, move it there, modify file x like so, etc.)
    - A also makes a script that contains these steps.
    - A puts both online.
    - Person B wants to install it.
    - B downloads the files.
    - B runs the scripts.
    - B has the program set-up and ready.

Very very very early test vid (1920x1080 so not embedding it)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 2Programming King Programming King x 1Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,916 Posts
    Well, was his advice any good?
    -- 120mj
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Programming King Programming King x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    151 Posts

Having some fun with python ctypes and fetching process names.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    Just wondering but do any of you know of any sites for getting contracting jobs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

34. Post #154
    All the big ones are shit and severely underpay you because you're competing with cheap labor in developing countries.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,335 Posts
    -- 120mj
    Holy shit that's... that's incredible! That solves everything!
    I'M GOING TO MAKE MILLIONS!

Say thanks to your dog for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    1,483 Posts
    DrLuke wanted me to post this for him:
    This is a lambda/4 antenna I made for my 433 MHz module.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Informative Informative x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    October 2009
    1,933 Posts
    The difference between programmers and other people. Anyone else would open up the panel or just deal with it. Programmers write code to do it for them.
    Except we have to debug with our approach. Which is now a new level on the global irony-meter. (and I'm bitter to say this, but it also doubles as a high-potential Xzibit moment right there)

I wound up using pixeltoaster to creep the shit out of it with random colours everywhere and little white lanes in between. It was glorious when I woke up and it wasn't there anymore.

I don't know why this crazy shit with computers happens to me all the time, like that time when I was raging at my code and a chunk of the ceiling fell off a while back. Scarred me for life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

38. Post #158
    Zyx
    February 2005
    2,816 Posts
    Copied the little highlight thing from RCT:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Programming King Programming King x 5Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #159
    June 2010
    1,337 Posts
    makin' a space game that won't go anywhere

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

40. Post #160
    I just made my first ever working scrollbar. I'm happy now.

(btw yea I forgot to set it to half size, done it for the next time now)

Edited:

No scrollwheel yet tho
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 4Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)