1. Post #361
    May 2010
    5,396 Posts
    I'll release a build soon, but the source is here if you can somehow build it on Linux from a VS2010 project.
    Built it, no problem
    Opened it, wierd button sizing/stretching
    Clicked new and choose size, it crashed

Edited:

Didn't bother creating a Perlin noise implementation because we already had a diamond-square implementation and it was close enough. In the first few screenshots I only took the distance of the nearest point and in the later ones I averaged the distance to the nearest two points and ran a basic smoothing filter on it to make the cell edges less noticeable. So I took the diamond-square noise scaled 0-1, then multiplied into the Worley noise. It creates some amazing mountains.

Largest map I've tested is a 1024x1024 heightmap that generates a 4096x4096m world (just over 4km^2)
    Nice, is this done all by yourself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #362
    January 2010
    213 Posts
    If I had a good computer, I could make some cool programs. For now: console programs. I'm trying to use SDL but gcc (MinGW) says that I haven't SDL.h.

No much knowledge about struct return, but I'm learning and I don't know if it could work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #363
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,086 Posts
    Built it, no problem
    I don't have any Linux systems to test and fix it on, and I can't get it running with Mono on Windows at the moment. This program is mainly for my own use, so I wasn't really aiming for Linux support.

Since it's open source, if anyone feels like a hero maybe they could have a go at getting it running on Linux. I'm sorry that I can't do it myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #364
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    323 Posts

Finally have Playstation PSF music file tag info parsing all fine through the library now.

Kind of happy about this too, considering it's easily the smallest PSF info parser as well at this point (1 method, 11 lines, excluding comments (getters don't count either)).

However, it took me around 30/45 minutes to figure out how to implement it like that.

Here's the reader source for anyone interested: Source
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #365
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Built it, no problem

Edited:

Nice, is this done all by yourself?
    yeah, 2 of my friends and I have been building a game for the past few months. I wouldn't call it an engine, but a lot of the code can be reused for another type of game.

So far we've built up the graphics, networking, and AI code by ourselves and we're using Jitter Physics Engine. Once we've got a better terrain generation system in place, we'll start working on building/structure placement along with road placement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #366
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    155 Posts
    Didn't bother creating a Perlin noise implementation because we already had a diamond-square implementation and it was close enough. In the first few screenshots I only took the distance of the nearest point and in the later ones I averaged the distance to the nearest two points and ran a basic smoothing filter on it to make the cell edges less noticeable. So I took the diamond-square noise scaled 0-1, then multiplied into the Worley noise. It creates some amazing mountains.

Largest map I've tested is a 1024x1024 heightmap that generates a 4096x4096m world (just over 4km^2)
    Makes my terrain look silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

7. Post #367
    May 2010
    5,396 Posts
    yeah, 2 of my friends and I have been building a game for the past few months. I wouldn't call it an engine, but a lot of the code can be reused for another type of game.

So far we've built up the graphics, networking, and AI code by ourselves and we're using Jitter Physics Engine. Once we've got a better terrain generation system in place, we'll start working on building/structure placement along with road placement.
    holly shit man, the pictures look amazing take it this is OpenTK?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #368
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Building an instagram bot to auto-like tons of pictures for a client.

I decided to use Python for this project, and honestly I'm so happy I did. I'm not a huge user of python, but something said to me when I heard what it'd have to do to use Python. It's all worked out so far. For a lot of stuff I'd have to write myself in other languages there are standard library functions to do. Python is really great for this kind of thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #369
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,964 Posts

(image snip)
    I don't suppose there's a chance you could open source the engine (or just provide binaries) for others to use?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #370
    usa
    Developer
    December 2011
    2,268 Posts

-snip img-
    Looks like something out of CrySDK's terrain generator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP New Zealand Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #371
    May 2010
    5,396 Posts
    Is it ok to use the last stable versiion of openTK? (the 2010 version) I cant get the latest svn to compile (says its missing globalAssemblyInfo.cs on monodevelop)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

12. Post #372
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    323 Posts
    Is it ok to use the last stable versiion of openTK? (the 2010 version) I cant get the latest svn to compile (says its missing globalAssemblyInfo.cs on monodevelop)
    If you don't care about having that file (it's non-essential), just delete the file reference to it in the solution browser for MonoDevelop. It should compile.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

13. Post #373
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    Uh oh. Much more complicated than I though :( now I'm reverse engineering the Instagram app...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #374
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Uh oh. Much more complicated than I though :( now I'm reverse engineering the Instagram app...
    How hard could it be? It doesn't just utilize a bunch of HTTP-based API calls?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #375
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    http://instagram.com/developer/endpoints/likes/ ?

16. Post #376
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    3,478 Posts
    How hard could it be? It doesn't just utilize a bunch of HTTP-based API calls?
    Not using the API because it severely limits how many things you can like per hour. The way the app does it is secured with hmac sha256 hashes so I've got to disesemble the app and the shared object library inside to see what's being hashes and what the key is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

17. Post #377
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    524 Posts

Good news , Everyone!
    :D I implemented customisation into my game and the sounds are done :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 18Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #378
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    holly shit man, the pictures look amazing take it this is OpenTK?
    Yeah, best OpenGL bindings I've seen so far. The enums that it uses instead of constants helps so much with autocomplete.

Edited:

I don't suppose there's a chance you could open source the engine (or just provide binaries) for others to use?
    We're planning on pushing through an implementation of the game's core mechanics through this next semester (though we're all going to different colleges, might make it harder to keep that constant communication going, we're going to talk about that in the next few days), and we're planning on selling in alpha ala Minecraft. (shooting for around December, we'll see how much we get done by then)

As for open source, we probably won't open source the engine until way after release, but it's C# so I guess you could just decompile it... I'm not at all opposed to open source though, a lot of my smaller projects are open sourced, even some that I'm using in the game, like my FreeType bindings for .NET and more importantly, our modifications to OpenTK.

Right now the "engine" is a separate class library that both the client and server executables link to. We're going to leave a lot of that dll public accessible for the possibility of mods. Right now our component-based entity system can register component types that aren't part of the class library, we just need to provide some plumbing to make that easier to invoke. The game is actively tested on Windows and Linux (Mono), and I'm going to borrow a friend's mac to test the game on OS X (apparently OpenTK's new input API doesn't work on OSX, probably going to have to write that myself)

Oh yeah and that really nice skybox that we have is licensed in a way that doesn't let us use it in a commercial project, so I'm going to have to remove it soon. I want to do a dynamic day-night cycle, so I'm probably going to look up how to generate a nice looking skybox. Probably just some gradients and more Perlin noise for the clouds...

Edited:

But yeah, I'm not going to release binaries just yet since a lot of our code is very messy and has a lot of weird graphical bugs because of it. And by the time I fix those, we'll probably be ready to start selling it in alpha...

19. Post #379
    October 2010
    476 Posts
    I made a quick weapon randomizer, inspired by this.

Right now it only generates rocket launchers:

Not too hard to code, but the art was fun to make and I think that most of the results look good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 23Winner Winner x 6Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

20. Post #380
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,955 Posts
    More progress on my stupid little game

Now there are enemies, and you can shoot them! Planning to make them turn into Box2d rectangles on death

Edited:

Good news , Everyone!
    What did you use to make a 2d game in unity?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events

21. Post #381
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,016 Posts
    I made my monkey thing fullscreen and exit on mouse movement/keypress, turned it into and exe and made it my screensaver.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #382
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    448 Posts
    Good news! If someone remembers the VSFL thing I posted about, good. But I think I didn't actually post about it here yet.

"VSFL Network" stands for "Virtual SpaceFlight Network". In simple words it's a big aerospace simulator that simulates motion around Earth (includes near-Earth orbit and Moon) and does this 24/7. The server has been up for 118 days so far.

It works like this: people who have launch vehicles or want to make use of server features connect to it (using their connection keys), and it shares their state, provides telemetry feeds and everything like that. The server simulates radio transmission (though model will be greatly improved over time), and a lot of physics stuff (motion, magnetic fields, atmosphere, etc).

Just a few days ago I finally got a working satellite into orbit. It has basic systems to send out time signals (precise time marker and some extra magnetic field data). Now that this has been demonstrated I will work towards making a development kit for making new satellites - and then offer it to Facepunch.

The basic idea is this: you can write some program (currently target platform is 8086, but 68K, ARM, and PPC are all partially available), and then have it running on the (virtual) satellite 24/7. You'll have to make this program work good right away (though should be possible to update it on-orbit if bugs shall appear). For 8086 platform an IBM PC compatible platform is used (it runs FreeDOS just fine, can run unix if you manage to install it there), has something like 40 megabytes of flash memory and 512 KB of RAM. So it might be pretty fun (you talk to sensors via COM ports).

This is the website: http://vsfl.wireos.com/
    Telemetry stream from the satellite: http://vsfl.wireos.com/screens/xsag_es602.php
    Realtime tracker: http://vsfl.wireos.com/realtime-tracking

Telemetry is only available while it's in range, it might actually take a long time for that to happen again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Programming King Programming King x 11Winner Winner x 3 (list)

23. Post #383
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    Good news! If someone remembers the VSFL thing I posted about, good. But I think I didn't actually post about it here yet. "VSFL Network" stands for "Virtual SpaceFlight Network". In simple words it's a big aerospace simulator that simulates motion around Earth (includes near-Earth orbit and Moon) and does this 24/7. The server has been up for 118 days so far. It works like this: people who have launch vehicles or want to make use of server features connect to it (using their connection keys), and it shares their state, provides telemetry feeds and everything like that. The server simulates radio transmission (though model will be greatly improved over time), and a lot of physics stuff (motion, magnetic fields, atmosphere, etc). Just a few days ago I finally got a working satellite into orbit. It has basic systems to send out time signals (precise time marker and some extra magnetic field data). Now that this has been demonstrated I will work towards making a development kit for making new satellites - and then offer it to Facepunch. The basic idea is this: you can write some program (currently target platform is 8086, but 68K, ARM, and PPC are all partially available), and then have it running on the (virtual) satellite 24/7. You'll have to make this program work good right away (though should be possible to update it on-orbit if bugs shall appear). For 8086 platform an IBM PC compatible platform is used (it runs FreeDOS just fine, can run unix if you manage to install it there), has something like 40 megabytes of flash memory and 512 KB of RAM. So it might be pretty fun (you talk to sensors via COM ports). This is the website: http://vsfl.wireos.com/ Telemetry stream from the satellite: http://vsfl.wireos.com/screens/xsag_es602.php Realtime tracker: http://vsfl.wireos.com/realtime-tracking Telemetry is only available while it's in range, it might actually take a long time for that to happen again.
    Oh god why
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #384
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    448 Posts
    Oh god why
    Had javascript disabled or something. I fixed the line breaks.

Ok the actual question is: Facepunch, what's your preferred platform and what debugging tools would you want to use for this. Programming an 8086 will probably require messing with Borland C or something like that (which might be off-putting for some people).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #385
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    415 Posts
    Working on an audio visualizer for a house party.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #386

August 2012
    54 Posts
    Before:

Code:
    import java.awt.AWTException;
    import java.awt.Robot;
    import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;

public class Main {

static Robot r;

public static void main(String[] args) {

try {
    			r = new Robot();
    		} catch (AWTException e) {
    			e.printStackTrace();
    		}

long t = System.currentTimeMillis() + 1000;

while(System.currentTimeMillis() != t) {

r.keyPress(KeyEvent.VK_LEFT);
    			r.keyPress(KeyEvent.VK_RIGHT);
    		}
    	}
    }
    After:

Enjoy! :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 4 (list)

27. Post #387
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    Before:

After:

Enjoy! :)
    Did you clip through the hurdles.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #388

August 2012
    54 Posts
    Nope.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Poland Show Events

29. Post #389
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    524 Posts
    What did you use to make a 2d game in unity?
    My brain, 2 Axes, and constrained rigidbodies to 2 dimensional movement.

Also, orthographic camera + layers of 2D planes with textures on them, alpha'd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #390
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    That's damn impressive.
    Crazy as shit, but still impressive.
    Remind me why you did it again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #391
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    448 Posts
    That's damn impressive. Crazy as shit, but still impressive. Remind me why you did it again?
    Don't have resources to build an actual rocket at the moment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 1 (list)

32. Post #392
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,468 Posts
    Made this, saw the source was a pile of shit, made it again.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #393
    October 2011
    508 Posts
    Good news , Everyone!
    THE BACKGROUND! Why! I cannot play this :/

Edited:

Great! Now I can stop play that stupid game and save my keyboard!

Edited:

I made a quick weapon randomizer, inspired by this.

Right now it only generates rocket launchers:

Not too hard to code, but the art was fun to make and I think that most of the results look good.
    Make a game using this now! I would play it, it already looks amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

34. Post #394
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,095 Posts
    Just implemented a rudimentary version of the stack in my x86 machine code interpreter! :D

The code run was this:
    Code:
    [BITS 32]
    push 128
    mov eax, 0
    jmp main

main:
    	add eax, 1
    	cmp eax, 2
    	je finish
    	jmp main

finish:
    	pop ebx
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #395
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    831 Posts
    My brain, 2 Axes, and constrained rigidbodies to 2 dimensional movement.

Also, orthographic camera + layers of 2D planes with textures on them, alpha'd.
    I feel like making a 2.5d game now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #396
    Make a game using this now! I would play it, it already looks amazing.
    www.playstarbound.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #397
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,086 Posts

Tiled editing, as suggested. Pencil, box drawing and fill work with it, but I haven't got the selection tools working 100% of the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

38. Post #398
    December 2009
    3,369 Posts
    I finished my ~ATH compiler!

written as
    Code:
            bifurcate THIS[#FF0000THIS, #0000FFTHIS];
    #000000 import process calc;

#FF0000 ~ATH(#000000calc){
    #0000FF ~ATH(!#000000calc){

#FF0000 }EXECUTE(NULL);
    #0000FF }EXECUTE(NULL);

[#FF0000THIS, #0000FFTHIS].DIE();
    compiles to Threading.~ATH.exe.

The import statement is emitted to both threads. (Names are global so this isn't recommended. process is static so it makes no difference in this case.)

Line colours are optional if they are the same as the parent thread or black in the main thread. Nesting should be possible if the line colours are separated by white space.

Identifiers default to the colour of the surrounding statement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

39. Post #399
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    524 Posts
    THE BACKGROUND! Why! I cannot play this :/
    Quite a few people are mentioning the background and i want to poll people and see what the general consensus is.

Is the background in my game up there ^ :
    Agree = Fine.
    Disagree = Stupid
    Funny = causes seizures
    Winner = perfect as it is
    Zing = fine, just choose different colours for it to cycle through
    Useful = Use different shapes in the backgroud/larger cubes
    Programming king = less violent pulses please!
    optimistic = I am epileptic and fuck your background
    Artistic = self explanatory
    Late = I dont care about your background
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 18Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #400
    January 2011
    2,018 Posts
    Quite a few people are mentioning the background and i want to poll people and see what the general consensus is.

Is the background in my game up there ^ :
    Agree = Fine.
    Disagree = Stupid
    Funny = causes seizures
    Winner = perfect as it is
    Zing = fine, just choose different colours for it to cycle through
    Useful = Use different shapes in the backgroud/larger cubes
    Programming king = less violent pulses please!
    optimistic = I am epileptic and fuck your background
    Artistic = self explanatory
    Late = I dont care about your background
    I vote for making them blend a bit so it seems a bit less "jerky".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)