1. Post #601
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts
    Also, in order: Rename, increase stock, delete, decrease stock.
    You should consider using icons instead. Increase and decrease stock I would've guessed, delete maybe, but nobody would have guessed "~" is rename without reading the tooltips.

Using small icons makes the behaviour of the buttons more obvious, and your UI will look more appealing as well.

If you're looking for icons, I can recommend Silk icons, which are also used throughout Facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #602
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    If you're looking for icons, I can recommend Silk icons, which are also used throughout Facepunch.
    Fugue icons have the advantage of not being overused (yet)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Useful Useful x 17Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #603
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,787 Posts
    I need FP's input on this one:

or

for the first one
    for the second one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Agree Agree x 47Disagree Disagree x 19 (list)

4. Post #604
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts

or

for the first one
    for the second one
    I'd say the encrypt/decrypt icons don't add a lot, since they look so similar. However, the first one does look more appealing.

Also, add a "..." after the Browse button. It's common to do so; it indicates that it requires user input when you press it.

Edited:

Also nitpicking, but the textboxes look a little too tall, and the labels in front of the textboxes should have a mnemonic too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 8Useful Useful x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #605
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    3,072 Posts
    Right align those labels
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

6. Post #606
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    2,691 Posts

or

for the first one
    for the second one
    Switch places with "Decrypt" and "Encrypt" and it's perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

7. Post #607
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    Either way, how is this?

Reminds me of this, which is not a good thing.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 12 (list)

8. Post #608
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,787 Posts
    I'd say the encrypt/decrypt icons don't add a lot, since they look so similar. However, the first one does look more appealing.

Also, add a "..." after the Browse button. It's common to do so; it indicates that it requires user input when you press it.

Edited:

Also nitpicking, but the textboxes look a little too tall, and the labels in front of the textboxes should have a mnemonic too.
    Thanks for your input!

Any better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

9. Post #609
    February 2011
    565 Posts

My first app with Glut
    i have no fucking idea on what the fuck is going on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

10. Post #610
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    3,072 Posts
    Thanks for your input!

Any better?
    You're welcome... :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #611
    good lord i'm awful at things.
    June 2010
    310 Posts
    Other than being very long for no reason, and hard to see, this was well put together.
    Long and dark is what I do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7 (list)

12. Post #612
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    Your textboxes are still too tall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #613
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,750 Posts
    Your textboxes are still too tall.
    According to the Windows 7 UX guidelines, they should be 23px tall.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...94.aspx#sizing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Useful Useful x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #614
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,114 Posts
    These are 25px tall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events Zing Zing x 11Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

15. Post #615
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    980 Posts
    You should consider using icons instead. Increase and decrease stock I would've guessed, delete maybe, but nobody would have guessed "~" is rename without reading the tooltips.

Using small icons makes the behaviour of the buttons more obvious, and your UI will look more appealing as well.

?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #616
    October 2011
    962 Posts
    Fugue icons have the advantage of not being overused (yet)
    WAYWO: V-Before it was too mainstream.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #617
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,503 Posts
    i'm soerry socram oplz forfguve me
    I really hate it when there's a steam message sound in a video. I was confused for a full 5 seconds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 13Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #618
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,119 Posts

?
    It seems to work nicely functionality wise, but you need to make it sexier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #619
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    1,869 Posts
    Why don't you guys keep quoting that giant video.

Also, does anyone have any sort of article or anything like that for storing large level formats in a similar vain to Terraria? I know a lot of your guys were working on similar type games and I'm curious what the best way to store the world is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #620

August 2007
    193 Posts

?
    You need to add more colour to the item titles and possibly tone back the colours on those "Stock: 0 Ordered: 5" things. On my monitor the orange is very hard to read.
    Also are you using WPF for this or winforms?
    And is there no way you can somehow split whatever two workflows you're catering too onto two pages? still seems a little too cluttered. Good improvement though!

Also, does anyone have any sort of article or anything like that for storing large level formats in a similar vain to Terraria? I know a lot of your guys were working on similar type games and I'm curious what the best way to store the world is.
    An SQL database? let it deal with all the IO stuff for you, and it will optimise automatically so patches visited a lot will be automatically faster to load?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #621
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,249 Posts
    An SQL database? let it deal with all the IO stuff for you, and it will optimise automatically so patches visited a lot will be automatically faster to load?
    A database, to me, seems a bit overkill for something that really just needs a data structure that allows you to search blocks based on their location. (Ideally, blocks close to each other would be close to each other in the level format, as well. Chunking sounds like a smart idea but IDK how to implement it.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #622
    Taught by John Lua
    May 2007
    2,914 Posts
    I would use Run Length Encoding (RLE).

Edited:

Store block ids and run length encode identical consecutive ids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #623
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    A database, to me, seems a bit overkill for something that really just needs a data structure that allows you to search blocks based on their location. (Ideally, blocks close to each other would be close to each other in the level format, as well. Chunking sounds like a smart idea but IDK how to implement it.)
    I think he was just trying to be clever. There's no other reason to recommend a database for something so simple. What exactly is wrong with just saving your flat array of data? You're hardly going to run out of disk space any time soon for something like Terraria. Even if you did, you can always just compress it or do something else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #624
    Slaaf van EternalFlamez.Ik wilde heel graag de laatste Indie Bundle, en ik kreeg deze kuttitel er gratis bij.
    March 2010
    4,073 Posts
    Explosions! They're sort of volumetricish.

Kind of looks like my game:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #625
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,760 Posts
    Decided to remake my project Forgotten Voxels because I hadn't got anything to do.
    First up is a component based GUI system

What you see is me adding a lot of button components to the GUI when I press F5
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 3 (list)

26. Post #626
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    Creating generics works fine. Now, time to test the specialization system.

Todo:
    * Finish specializations
    * Macro system
    * JIT system/In-program REPL
    * The Standard Library
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Uruguay Show Events

27. Post #627
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,288 Posts
    working on a program which downloads images from Flickr, relating to your specified keyword and then uses those images to make a mosaic of another image.

Python/Flickr API's are fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #628
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I'm working on a recreation of Hard time in Source with some other guys from FP. I'm extracting game dialogue from the code, and besides the awfulness of BASIC, I noticed one other thing: He used If/Elseif/Else statements for the ENTIRE dialogue sequence.

Code:
    ;6. REMINDED ABOUT DINNER TIME
     If gamPromo=6
      If promoTim>25 And promoTim<325
       Speak(cyc,2)
       Outline("Hey, "+CellName$(pChar(v))+", didn't you hear the bell? Dinner",rX#(400),rY#(520),30,30,30,250,250,250)
       Outline("is served! Go and get something to eat...",rX#(400),rY#(560),30,30,30,250,250,250)
      EndIf
      If promoTim>325 And promoTim<9975 Then promoTim=9975 : promoUsed(gamPromo)=1
     EndIf
    INSPIRATION FOR THE INTERACTIVE GENERATION
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #629
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    After countless delays and procrastination the open.gl chapter on depth and stencil testing is now available.

Additionally, I couldn't just let Geel9 get away with his app, so I've decided to officially start a war.

These two screenshots are from the current preview build of the app. The action bar is fully backwards-compatible with pre-ICS platforms. The app makes use of a proprietary HTTPS-only API, but uses the regular Facepunch to log in. That means that the MD5 hash of the password never reaches my server, only the Facepunch session. Along with this login request, all calls from the API server itself to Facepunch are also done with HTTPS thanks to Garry.

Feedback on the layout and/or functionality is more than welcome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 34Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #630
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,907 Posts
    After countless delays and procrastination the open.gl chapter on depth and stencil testing is now available.

Additionally, I couldn't just let Geel9 get away with his app, so I've decided to officially start a war.

These two screenshots are from the current preview build of the app. The action bar is fully backwards-compatible with pre-ICS platforms. The app makes use of a proprietary HTTPS-only API, but uses the regular Facepunch to log in. That means that the MD5 hash of the password never reaches my server, only the Facepunch session. Along with this login request, all calls from the API server itself to Facepunch are also done with HTTPS thanks to Garry.

Oh my god, please finish this. And can you test it on Android 2.2? Geel's app does not work fully with 2.2, and he hasn't responded to my requests to release his latest source code.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

31. Post #631
    ASK ME ABOUT MY PLAYBOOK INSTEAD OF COLLEGE
    April 2011
    1,627 Posts
    So, long story short, after Phyzicle totally let me down, I've been working on this cool new idea for a touch-screen game. Unfortunately, I might not be able to finish it due to time constraints.

Either way, I'm curious to see what you guys think of it. Perhaps if there's any interest, I'll make some time for it.

- make time for it!
    - eh

What do you guys think?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 36Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #632
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts

I guess I'll remove my app now that there's going to be a better version.

Good luck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2 (list)

33. Post #633
    July 2009
    6,009 Posts
    Code:
    Form: (derp i32)
    Type Signature: %derp_i32
    Generic types/Templates are up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Uruguay Show Events

34. Post #634
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts

Good luck.
    you got no fight kid, you'll never make it, throw in the towel

training montage with overv - boxing gloves and sweats worn as he programs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #635
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    The past week or so, I've been working on a website that relates to TF2. It's similar to TF2WH in that there's a queue and a system of bots, but different in that it relates solely to scrap banking.

It's called TF2Scrap. The basic premise is that it's automated scrap/reverse scrap banking. Scrap banking is when someone will offer to exchange one scrap per any two craftable weapons. Reverse scrap banking is when a banker will allow you to exchange one scrap for any one weapon.

The bots use SteamKit2 to do the trading/autocrafting (after I harassed Voided a shitton), and can generally craft an entire inventory in mere seconds.

The reason I set this up is because I noticed that it was difficult to find a scrapbanker, and because scrapbankers ripped you off of reverse scrapbanking. So I set this website up, posted a thread in the TF2 section, and then let SPUF freak the fuck out.

We offer a "fairer" reverse scrapbanking scheme, in that we give you two weapons per scrap, but you have to pay a one-time fee of 4 scrap to access the reverse scrapbanking (normal banking is free). This means that you break even vs a normal banker after you buy 8 weapons from us.

We started it this week and so far we've hade ~2,500 users, and around 350 scrap. We started with 1 bot and 200 scrap, and now have 4 bots and 1,400 scrap. We've essentially multiplied our initial scrap investment by 7.

We've also made around $200 in donations.

We're basically putting every scrapbanker out of business. It's pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 20Dumb Dumb x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #636
    Ask Rohan about rust keys!
    August 2011
    2,854 Posts
    Holy shit this is awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #637

January 2012
    422 Posts
    Who is freaking out, and why?

Cause I don't have any posts on steam forums.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #638
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,907 Posts

Good luck.
    Geel, I'm still going to cut off your balls if you don't give me the latest source code.

EDIT: I'm kidding man, I love you. But seriously. Source code. Now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events

39. Post #639
    Person
    June 2008
    5,743 Posts
    Who is freaking out, and why?

Cause I don't have any posts on steam forums.
    "OH MY GOD THIS IS GOING TO RUIN ALL THE PEOPLE WHO ARE CHARGING HIGHER PRICES FOR REVERSE BANKING AND THIS IS A MONOPOLY EVEN THOUGH THAT'S NOT REALLY HOW MONOPOLIES WORK"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny x 10Dumb x 3Winner x 2Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #640
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    640 Posts

oh jesus, that is just beautiful...please iphone version
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)