1. Post #1001
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,408 Posts
    Hah, well, I kind of abandoned that project about 1 year ago.
    GOOD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1002
    July 2009
    5,899 Posts
    so I've been working on this game in javascript and html5 in my free time recently, it's based on the old game Missile Command.
    it isn't at all done, and I still need to have a start button and a scoreboard and the function of actually dying.

http://qwook.github.com/meteorsmash/

not looking for feedback yet, just showing you guys what I have done.
    I found it strangely addictive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Uruguay Show Events Agree Agree x 6Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #1003
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,400 Posts
    ahahahaha
    Code:
    assembly
    declaring myself the winner of this pissing contest
    NOT SO FAST. You forgot the one thing that can beat you. Compile time computation B)

I'm about to make you my friend.

#include <cstdlib>
    #include <cstdint>
    #include <cstdio>

constexpr auto sum(uint64_t n) -> uint64_t { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; }
    auto main () -> int {
      printf("%llu\n", sum(100000000));
    }

Code:
    % /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -O4
    % time ./suck-it-down
    ./suck-it-down 0.00s user 0.00s system 46% cpu 0.006 total
    And in case you were thinking "oh hey, that's cheating, how long did it take clang to compile it"

Code:
    % time /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -fno-rtti
    /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -fno-rtti   0.04s user 0.03s system 74% cpu 0.093 total
    Code:
    ; ModuleID = 'john-romero.cpp'
    target datalayout = "e-p:64:64:64-i1:8:8-i8:8:8-i16:16:16-i32:32:32-i64:64:64-f32:32:32-f64:64:64-v64:64:64-v128:128:128-a0:0:64-s0:64:64-f80:128:128-n8:16:32:64-S128"
    target triple = "x86_64-apple-macosx10.7.0"

@.str = private unnamed_addr constant [6 x i8] c"%llu\0A\00", align 1

define i32 @main() nounwind uwtable ssp {
    entry:
      %call1 = tail call i32 (i8*, ...)* @printf(i8* getelementptr inbounds ([6 x i8]* @.str, i64 0, i64 0), i64 5000000050000000) nounwind
      ret i32 0
    }

declare i32 @printf(i8* nocapture, ...) nounwind
    Blow it up. B)

Edited:

I should note, if you compile it without optimizations, it will segfault on run. womp womp :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 19Programming King Programming King x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #1004
    January 2011
    1,824 Posts
    After several days of texturing a simple cube not working, I finally figured out that SOIL is outdated for OpenGL texture loading. Fuck.

At least I can still use the image loading functions because I really don't feel like implementing raw libpng.

And it works, now on to more useful things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

5. Post #1005
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,814 Posts
    I have a question, someone posted a link for a site where programmers can hire designers and viceversa or help eachother out, i have been looking but can't seem to find it. ex. i am looking for a pixel artist to do some work and i want to pay for it.

Anyone got a site that fits that description or is similar could you post it for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 Show Events

6. Post #1006
    Gold Member

August 2012
    28 Posts
    I have a question, someone posted a link for a site where programmers can hire designers and viceversa or help eachother out, i have been looking but can't seem to find it. ex. i am looking for a pixel artist to do some work and i want to pay for it.

Anyone got a site that fits that description or is similar could you post it for me?
    Try requesting here: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1204549
    Maybe you find someone. :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #1007
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,814 Posts
    Try requesting here: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1204549
    Maybe you find someone. :D
    That works more like a good will thread i really want to be able to contact someone who's work i like and pay them for the art.
    I know this site exists because i visited it maybe a year ago just can't remember anything that identifies it.

8. Post #1008
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    969 Posts
    NOT SO FAST. You forgot the one thing that can beat you. Compile time computation B)

I'm about to make you my friend.

#include <cstdlib>
    #include <cstdint>
    #include <cstdio>

constexpr auto sum(uint64_t n) -> uint64_t { return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; }
    auto main () -> int {
    }

Code:
    % /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -O4
    % time ./suck-it-down
    ./suck-it-down 0.00s user 0.00s system 46% cpu 0.006 total
    And in case you were thinking "oh hey, that's cheating, how long did it take clang to compile it"

Code:
    % time /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -fno-rtti
    /usr/local/bin/clang++ -o suck-it-down john-romero.cpp -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -fno-rtti   0.04s user 0.03s system 74% cpu 0.093 total
    Code:
    ; ModuleID = 'john-romero.cpp'
    target datalayout = "e-p:64:64:64-i1:8:8-i8:8:8-i16:16:16-i32:32:32-i64:64:64-f32:32:32-f64:64:64-v64:64:64-v128:128:128-a0:0:64-s0:64:64-f80:128:128-n8:16:32:64-S128"
    target triple = "x86_64-apple-macosx10.7.0"

@.str = private unnamed_addr constant [6 x i8] c"%llu\0A\00", align 1

define i32 @main() nounwind uwtable ssp {
    entry:
      %call1 = tail call i32 (i8*, ...)* @printf(i8* getelementptr inbounds ([6 x i8]* @.str, i64 0, i64 0), i64 5000000050000000) nounwind
      ret i32 0
    }

declare i32 @printf(i8* nocapture, ...) nounwind
    Blow it up. B)

Edited:

I should note, if you compile it without optimizations, it will segfault on run. womp womp :(
    Why are you declaring your functions like that? It looks horrible, more characters to type and is harder to read.

Edited:

Here is some eye bleach people:

constexpr uint64_t sum(uint64_t n)
    {
        return n != 0 ? n + sum(n - 1) : n; 
    }

int main()
    {
        return 0;
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1009
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,400 Posts
    Why are you declaring your functions like that? It looks horrible, more characters to type and is harder to read.

Edited:

{
    }

int main()
    {
        return 0;
    }
    doing the new C++ function syntax allows you to see the entire parameter list and return type all next to each other, with the name on the left (instead of mixed in between the functions actual type signature)

It's a style I picked up from OCaml, F#, and python where the same style of syntax is (mostly) used. (i.e., def sum (parameters:types) -> return-type, or let x (n:int) : unit = blah;;)

It also makes getting the type signature of a function super easy with a regex.

The more you know.

It's a personal preference, nothing more, and you'll just have to deal with it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #1010
    October 2009
    1,896 Posts
    That works more like a good will thread i really want to be able to contact someone who's work i like and pay them for the art.
    I know this site exists because i visited it maybe a year ago just can't remember anything that identifies it.
    If you're really serious and have the budget to back you up, I'd recommend nitrome. They're really pixel-perfect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1011
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,814 Posts
    If you're really serious and have the budget to back you up, I'd recommend nitrome. They're really pixel-perfect.
    I recognize that page and they don't sell art?
    Does not really matter because i do not have that kind of budget i am really looking for freelancers.

12. Post #1012
    October 2009
    1,896 Posts
    I recognize that page and they don't sell art?
    Does not really matter because i do not have that kind of budget i am really looking for freelancers.
    You have to contact them via their business email on the contact page. But yeah, it'd probably be very expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1013

August 2011
    183 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events

14. Post #1014
    April 2007
    807 Posts
    What in? (OGL, OTK, DX, SDX...)
    Well, I was kind of referring to my earlier project that I posted in here, the OpenGL app. So it's in c++ with OpenGL.

This project:

But it's kind of hard to post a screenshot about backend stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

15. Post #1015
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts

Edited:

{
    }

int main()
    {
        return 0;
    }
    why are you declaring your functions like that? it looks horrible, it's really hard to ack/grep for and it's harder to read

Edited:

here is some sanity people:

constexpr uint64_t
    sum(uint64_t n)
    {
    }

int
    main()
    {
        return 0;
    }

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 26Funny Funny x 15Agree Agree x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

16. Post #1016
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    311 Posts
    Well, I was kind of referring to my earlier project that I posted in here, the OpenGL app. So it's in c++ with OpenGL.

This project:

But it's kind of hard to post a screenshot about backend stuff.
    I had this thought now and also when I first saw this image; The clouds look unnatural compared to the ground. It looks as if the sky is sort of slanted down, as if the image of the clouds have been taken with a camera that was tilted upwards. I guess another way to put it would be to say that the farthest clouds are too low. Just me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #1017
    August 2009
    823 Posts
    I have a feeling that that is due to the material used, not the actual skybox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #1018
    October 2011
    508 Posts
    I can also do random generated terrain

I just remebered that I am not even going to use terrain in my game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 10Artistic Artistic x 3Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

19. Post #1019
    June 2010
    1,322 Posts
    I can't believe Slick doesn't support Tiled object layers. ಠ_ಠ
    I'm this close to just hardcoding everything.

I CAN'T TURN BOXES INTO PROGRAMS :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

20. Post #1020
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    A little buggy but you get the idea..
    See you at gamescom next year!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #1021
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    2,667 Posts
    why are you declaring your functions like that? it looks horrible, it's really hard to ack/grep for and it's harder to read

Edited:

here is some sanity people:
    Screw all of you who disagrees, I like this style
    Having all the function names start from the same column looks neat. You don't have to scan where the return value part stops to find it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #1022
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,534 Posts
    I successfully converted all glsl 3.30 shaders to 1.20 versions; and looked up some of my OpenGL functions to determine the minimum version required is OGL 2.0. Is supporting OGL 2.0 and higher enough?

For those of you who couldn't run my game before, can you try again please? If it still doesn't run, paste the log.txt here as it prints a bit more useful information so I can figure out what's up.
    win64
    win32

The game doesn't support being ran in directories with non-latin characters in them yet still, so be wary of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

23. Post #1023
    May 2010
    5,268 Posts
    I successfully converted all glsl 3.30 shaders to 1.20 versions; and looked up some of my OpenGL functions to determine the minimum version required is OGL 2.0. Is supporting OGL 2.0 and higher enough?

For those of you who couldn't run my game before, can you try again please? If it still doesn't run, paste the log.txt here as it prints a bit more useful information so I can figure out what's up.
    win64
    win32

The game doesn't support being ran in directories with non-latin characters in them yet still, so be wary of that.
    pretty much all computers from 5-7 years ago have atleast 2.0-2.1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1024
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts

win64
    win32

Downloading it now to test with Wine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

25. Post #1025
    June 2010
    1,322 Posts
    So it turns out Slick actually does support Tiled object layers and my hissy fit was because you have to set a size for the objects greater than zero.

Ta-dah! Signposts! Also a framework for adding items, triggers, and other cool stuff to the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #1026
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,534 Posts
    Downloading it now to test with Wine.
    You can compile it for your Linux system by downloading the source from git: https://github.com/naelstrof/Astrostruct

Although from my tests the wine version works fine.

27. Post #1027
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Wine version doesn't run here. I don't have valgrind installed atm, but I'll give it a whirl though.
    Running Gentoo with Wine --version outputing: wine-1.5.10 and using Mesa 8.1 radeon 6.14.6-r1 drivers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

28. Post #1028
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,534 Posts
    Wine version doesn't run here. I don't have valgrind installed atm, but I'll give it a whirl though.
    Running Gentoo with Wine --version outputing: wine-1.5.10 and using Mesa 8.1 radeon 6.14.6-r1 drivers.
    Post the log.txt please. (Or wine debug output, eg: "WINEDEBUG="" wine astrostruct.exe > blah.txt 2>&1")

29. Post #1029
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Here you go:

Code:
    LUA	INFO: Scanning config for lua files...
    RENDER	INFO: OpenGL
    RENDER	INFO: 	Vendor: X.Org
    RENDER	INFO: 	Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
    RENDER	INFO: 	Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV730
    RENDER	INFO: 	GLSL Version: 1.20
    SIGNAL	ERRO: Recieved signal SIGSEGV: please use valgrind to get some debug info and send bug reports!LUA	INFO: Scanning config for lua files...
    RENDER	INFO: OpenGL
    RENDER	INFO: 	Vendor: X.Org
    RENDER	INFO: 	Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
    RENDER	INFO: 	Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV730
    RENDER	INFO: 	GLSL Version: 1.20
    SIGNAL	ERRO: Recieved signal SIGSEGV: please use valgrind to get some debug info and send bug reports!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #1030
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,534 Posts
    Alright thanks, it looks as though I'm using a glew extension without checking if it's available. I'll have to install some opensource drivers and debug myself.

31. Post #1031
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,172 Posts
    Yesterday we met Overv, today he didn't come.
    But I met Nifflas and he said he likes my games. Yay.

(He's the guy with the beard)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 20Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

32. Post #1032
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I'm compiling the linux package, and cmake couldn't find enet. Is this loaded dynamically on Windows as well? Because that *could* cause potential problems, I presume?

Edited:

Also, a little hint on this thing is that, afaik, SOIL is NOT included in most major linux distributions and as such you'll have to find it yourself in order to compile your game/application. Why not include the two files?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

33. Post #1033
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,534 Posts
    I'm compiling the linux package, and cmake couldn't find enet. Is this loaded dynamically on Windows as well? Because that *could* cause potential problems, I presume?

Edited:

Also, a little hint on this thing is that, afaik, SOIL is NOT included in most major linux distributions and as such you'll have to find it yourself in order to compile your game/application. Why not include the two files?
    Enet is a portable networking library: http://enet.bespin.org/; Which is in the official repositories in Arch Linux, so I assumed it would be included in others.
    I thought including pre-built libraries like Soil went against Linux's philosophy to configure, compile, and install their own version for all applications to link against.
    Given its simplicity to compile and install, I'd rather not ship with pre-built Soil binaries included.

34. Post #1034
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I wasn't talking about shipping with soil prebuilt, but as source in your sources :)
    Also, enet is included in my repository as well, but soil isn't.
    I've installed enet, and I was just wondering if you were using it and including it on Windows :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #1035
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,420 Posts
    Yesterday we met Overv, today he didn't come.
    was he wearing the shirt?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #1036
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,534 Posts
    Oh sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess I don't really know what I'm doing as I only have one computer to test builds and binaries.

I hold Windows to the same standard as Linux and as such expect them to compile and install all the libraries they need themselves. Is it wrong of me to do that?

If you feel like you can improve how it compiles feel free to branch the project on github and I'll merge the changes in.

37. Post #1037
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,511 Posts
    I hold Windows to the same standard as Linux and as such expect them to compile and install all the libraries they need themselves. Is it wrong of me to do that?
    It's extremely inconvenient because third party libraries on Windows are a bitch. In Linux they're a few keystrokes away.

Either way, I do it to, except I don't care about Windows development anymore.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #1038
    May 2010
    5,268 Posts
    Oh sorry for the misunderstanding, I guess I don't really know what I'm doing as I only have one computer to test builds and binaries.

If you feel like you can improve how it compiles feel free to branch the project on github and I'll merge the changes in.
    Windows has no method of downloading libraries other than the user doing so themself, so you need to include everything in the windows build
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1039
    September 2010
    2,149 Posts
    I moved into Uni yesterday. Fun stuff.

Today I went to go take a look around and found the library.
    I wanted to see how open they kept their computers, so I went snooping.
    Everything was blocked.
    No CMD, the C:\ drive was invisible, no notepad..

right click on desktop > new text document > new

I made a batch file and used dir to walk through most of the filesystem. Not much interesting stuff.
    The only interesting thing that I did find was a log of all recent log-on usernames and their respective first access dates.

-snip-
    02/25/2012 05:26 AM avmatula
    04/05/2012 04:20 AM bdoliva
    05/04/2012 03:00 AM beliseir
    08/17/2012 11:54 AM bigbumpo
    03/06/2012 05:24 AM bodea
    02/17/2012 05:23 AM boles
    02/07/2012 05:26 AM ccolliso
    -snip-
    I thought that was funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

40. Post #1040
    May 2010
    5,268 Posts
    can any of you ogl/math gurus tell me why the hell this isnt working?
    http://www.facepunch.com/showthread....1#post37287946
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events