1. Post #441
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts
    I can't 2D cameras

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 30Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #442
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts
    Thats pretty sick but why are there not collisions on those ships, The ships went right through each other No explosions and also Im pretty sure the pathfinding code doesn't take into account the postions of the other ships and it didn't seem to update the pathfinding after another ship stayed still in the middle of the path.
    Thats true, I could add ship collision but I am sure it'd bother the more ships exist.
    It will actually be a turn-based player vs player (or with 3 or 4 players) game, destroy the other players ships or collect
    money by docking on islands and buy new ships.I want to keep it simple, but also a bit tricky.

@Thread
    Decorating, rough draft of an Island.
    Afterwards battle system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 14Winner Winner x 2Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

3. Post #443
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,067 Posts
    Thats true, I could add ship collision but I am sure it'd bother the more ships exist.
    It will actually be a turn-based player vs player (or with 3 or 4 players) game, destroy the other players ships or collect
    money by docking on islands and buy new ships.I want to keep it simple, but also a bit tricky.

@Thread
    -ignore me, didn't look carefully-

Edited:

header("Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8");

Edited:

many web frameworks for other languages will do this automatically. php doesn't though, so browsers typically treat the response as iso-8859
    That didn't change anything but I might have done something wrong. I just pasted that call before the readfile.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the code is in mod_php modules Joomla.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

4. Post #444
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts

@Thread
    I really like this for some reason.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #445
    June 2010
    1,338 Posts
    Threw out all my shitty art and started over with assemblee stuff.

Edited:

Ignore the flashing on the castle, virtualdub herped.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

6. Post #446
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    153 Posts

Finished off my little python and Windows dll's experiment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 3 (list)

7. Post #447
    September 2010
    2,345 Posts
    I always just have a dev_mode Boolean.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

8. Post #448

August 2007
    192 Posts
    cheat engine. find value. change to true. cheat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

9. Post #449
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I gave my keyboard a literal bath today. First I cleaned it with canned air and some Clorox Bleach-free wipes, and that did a p. good job, but it wasn't enough. So I disassembled it, took the top half and washed it down like a dirty pet that played in the mud.

It was pretty rewarding. Now I'm going to vacuum my room before getting back to working on a VSP I've been writing for a while.

I can't disclose much, but to present a hybrid of web dev and programming, a while back I noticed an "exploitable" bug with Chromium inside of Source-based games.

The web panel we use for things like MOTDs in games like CS:S, DoD:S, and TF2 has an issue with rendering text input. That is, the background of this element is never actually read like the rest of the elements in the DOM. When the panel's RGBA is read and moved into a texture, you arrive with a texture which has an alpha of 0 in the text rendered areas.

While this is technically a bug, it allows me to do things like this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 5Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    mkp

June 2012
    92 Posts
    some html5 canvas related projects:

my first try on randomly generated worlds (works in ff, chrome & opera):

created with perlin noise and is layer separated. (try to change the value of the input field [ff has no input=range :(])

another one is a tile based game(works in ff, chrome & opera), you can walk around and lift (space) objects, like the crates or green grass. Tried to implement some sort of light, but wasn't satisfied with the result.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

11. Post #451
    December 2009
    364 Posts
    I gave my keyboard a literal bath today. First I cleaned it with canned air and some Clorox Bleach-free wipes, and that did a p. good job, but it wasn't enough. So I disassembled it, took the top half and washed it down like a dirty pet that played in the mud.
    Mine is some 8 logitech keyboard. When it gets overly unhygienic I just buy a new one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #452
    January 2008
    329 Posts
    Made a trailer for my game:

Edit: Reuploaded for better quality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

13. Post #453
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Either don't compile developer features into end-user builds, or just deal with end-users figuring out how to use the developer features. A lot of games don't really care if they leave in the developer features, leading to "cheats".
    Except that I'm making a multiplayer game and even though I might not care about users using developer features, other users will surely do.

I'll see if it's possible to not to compile certain parts of the code at all though.

Edited:

Yeah, just like VGS_Devs said, it's trivial to enable it with something like Cheat Engine and in a multiplayer game, that would be quite catastrophic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #454
    February 2008
    460 Posts
    some html5 canvas related projects:

my first try on randomly generated worlds (works in ff, chrome & opera):

created with perlin noise and is layer separated. (try to change the value of the input field [ff has no input=range :(])
    The isometric world generation is cool but the textures are eye-bleedingly noisy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

15. Post #455
    May 2010
    5,378 Posts
    Except that I'm making a multiplayer game and even though I might not care about users using developer features, other users will surely do.

I'll see if it's possible to not to compile certain parts of the code at all though.

Edited:

Yeah, just like VGS_Devs said, it's trivial to enable it with something like Cheat Engine and in a multiplayer game, that would be quite catastrophic.
    dev_mode ifdef
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

16. Post #456
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts

And here a zoomed out version of almost the entire map. (Actual map size is 1000 x 1500)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 12Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #457
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,178 Posts
    I'm thinking about making a smartphone game. I have two ideas, both similar, what's better:

A) A somewhat tactical game where you use a fleet or ships to fight an enemy fleet in different scenarios and such. Probably slightly similar to what sebixxx has above.

B) Another tactical game but based in space, with more customization of your spaceship and all that good stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #458
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,471 Posts
    Not if your server is competent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #459
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    Wouldn't that just mean the vanilla client can't cheat but any other custom client could? Surely cheating should be allowed only if the server allows it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #460
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    5,641 Posts
    I'm thinking about making a smartphone game. I have two ideas, both similar, what's better:

A) A somewhat tactical game where you use a fleet or ships to fight an enemy fleet in different scenarios and such. Probably slightly similar to what sebixxx has above.

B) Another tactical game but based in space, with more customization of your spaceship and all that good stuff.
    Personally, I'd prefer B. I've seen a few games like both ideas already, but none with real ship customization.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #461
    November 2007
    599 Posts

nothing crazy but can attach objects to bones now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #462
    June 2012
    46 Posts
    Fixed an issue with my .tga to asm converter, next up will be boosting the rendering resolution from 120x100 to 256x240 (will probably take ages)

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Winner Winner x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

23. Post #463
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    1,871 Posts
    Apparently posting videos without description is no good, so:
    I created a GUI system in C++, managed to get font rentering with OpenGL 3.3 up and running,
    wrote some object oriented socket wrappers and to test all this (along with a nice login/chat transition)
    I created a simple chat. Libraries used are GLSL and freetype (which could need some hinting at small font sizes, anybody got tips?).
    "localhost" as IP makes it look for a server, if it doesn't find one in half a second it creates its own.
    So pretty simple to create your own chat room. Needs port forwarding though if you want other people to join you, I might look into UPNP.
    On destruction the GUI element which contains both login and chat seems to delete its children twice, that's why it crashes when closing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Austria Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

24. Post #464
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,961 Posts
    I'm helping my grandfather fix up some of his art programs
    They're all in VB6, but they're really cool

Edited:

The first thing I've done is figuring out the cartesian coordinates of a number in an Ulam Spial
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

25. Post #465
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,077 Posts
    I was annoyed by Jail Base's annoying yet easy-to-remove watermarks and wanted to see how hard it would be to remove them automatically.

Before/After

I'm very satisfied, especially since this works without any human intervention at all. Now if I wasn't lazy I'd make a web service and a script to automatically replace every jail base hotlink with the fixed image.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Winner Winner x 36Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #466
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,020 Posts
    I was annoyed by Jail Base's annoying yet easy-to-remove watermarks and wanted to see how hard it would be to remove them automatically.

Before/After
    I'm very satisfied, especially since this works without any human intervention at all. Now if I wasn't lazy I'd make a web service and a script to automatically replace every jail base hotlink with the fixed image.
    I've always wondered about removing watermarks, good job. One small issue, your removal algorithm seems to extend past the end of the image and onto the text below, leading to some artefacts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

27. Post #467
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,847 Posts
    So, I've done some programming in Matlab (for uni stuff mostly), but seeing as it's awful for just messing about with, and I've actually really enjoyed programming, I've now started learning C. I've had a rather decent book on it for a while anyway, just never got round to reading it. Not very far on, but far enough to have been able to horribly butcher together some example C++ code from various places in visual C++ express to quickly make a program that prints fullstops to the command line while a button on the xbox 360 controller is pressed

So yeah, while this reeeaaally doesn't look like much (especially compared to what's normally posted in this thread), it's still a success to me!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    March 2010
    845 Posts
    Playing music from Google music using python on my raspberry pi, eventually it will have a web front end and look nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #469
    October 2009
    1,936 Posts
    Playing music from Google music using python on my raspberry pi, eventually it will have a web front end and look nice
    Your raspberry must have a pretty weak bladder.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Funny Funny x 30Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #470
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    Wouldn't that just mean the vanilla client can't cheat but any other custom client could? Surely cheating should be allowed only if the server allows it.
    I'm doing a non-authorative networking on this one but I'm planning to set some basic checks in play. So theoretically, players can cheat but the player hosting the game will do checks occasionally if what players are doing is impossible or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #471
    June 2010
    77 Posts
    I'm doing a non-authorative networking on this one but I'm planning to set some basic checks in play. So theoretically, players can cheat but the player hosting the game will do checks occasionally if what players are doing is impossible or not.
    Why would you want that ? I should be allowed to cheat in a game I host that I'm playing with friends.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events

32. Post #472
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    My only complaint is they try to sail into an island (trying to go in a straight line to destination), but if the ships were real they'd see the island ahead of them and chart around. It'd be neat if ships far-off from the target headed in a straight line and then navigate around an island (as it is now), but if there is an island close to you you just start by charting around the island instead of running into it first.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

33. Post #473
    November 2007
    599 Posts

We need an artist to make us hats, lots of hats.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 16Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #474
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    524 Posts

We need an artist to make us hats, lots of hats.
    robin@valvesoftware.com
    This guy is very experienced in this area I've heard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Zing Zing x 2 (list)

35. Post #475
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    In programming unrelated news:

Yay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 55Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,067 Posts
    In programming unrelated news:

Yay.
    That's great!
    Who's organizing everything for you? Gamescom or do you need to do stuff yourself?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events

37. Post #477

August 2007
    192 Posts

nothing crazy but can attach objects to bones now
    I find the hardest part of building a nice animation system like that is coming to terms with the fact I am really not an animator. That and finding animators who can really make a system like that shine is really hard!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #478
    Paid for a title.
    June 2005
    6,175 Posts
    That's great!
    Who's organizing everything for you? Gamescom or do you need to do stuff yourself?
    We get Tables, Chairs and a wall. The rest is our responsibility.

Edited:

Oh, also power outlets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

39. Post #479
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    Is there a good valve FGD parser out there? C++
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

40. Post #480
    Grimpunch Games
    May 2005
    524 Posts
    So I'm releasing my android game tonight at midnight, UK time. I'm going to make a GGD thread for it, and link it here too.
    Hopefully I'll get a few sales and I'll actually have my first commercial game out. :)
    Maybe even turn a profit :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)