1. Post #681
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    I think the issue was that the API could just go down for a week with out any notice. (Eg. when the IP Address of FP changes)
    If people tell me it's broken, then I can fix it quickly.

Edited:

I have security requirements that are not compatible with your current API, because I do not want to store the password in the application.
    So you want to be able to just get a session key and save that? That's what the API is doing transparently in the background, so I could arrange that.

I'm considering changing the authenticate call so that it returns the session ID, and then allowing clients to either pass the session ID or the username/password hash.

Would that satisfy your requirements?

Honestly, when my app used your API, it just wouldn't work 50% of the time. And you were never on Steam to yell at you to fix it.

Overv, when your version is ready, just tell me and I'll remove mine.
    That's because I use Steam for Mac and it blows. Most of the time during the day I'm now at work where I use Linux and it blows even more there.

I've told you many, many times to use Twitter to reach me (or email) because I respond to those most frequently.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #682
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    Update:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 13Programming King Programming King x 1Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

3. Post #683
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,962 Posts
    Make the background less blurry so you can actually see cubes instead of a smashed birthday cake
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 5 (list)

4. Post #684
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    2,556 Posts
    Kind of looks like my game:

It is so on.

Seriously, though, I'm interested to see where you take the idea. I guess I'm still building the basic engine. The finished product I'm aiming for is quite a long way away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

5. Post #685
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    419 Posts
    This may be a little too much casting

Code:
    m_script=(root::Script*)((root::RootFileSystem*)m_parent->m_app->getManager("RFS"))->search(m_parent->getName()+".lua");
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #686
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    I really don't see a problem with all of the different APIs that have popped up for FP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #687
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,110 Posts
    Update:
    I've seen this before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

8. Post #688
    July 2009
    7,173 Posts
    Working on something with a friend:
    , still working out some kinks like squirrel doesn't even work but we plan to have it working soon.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #689
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Update:
    I've seen this before.
    maybe you forgot about it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 6Funny x 3Dumb x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #690
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts

My first app with Glut
    i have no fucking idea on what the fuck is going on
    ditch glut asap

use glfw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

11. Post #691
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,685 Posts

Finally got a virtual machine running mac os; I'm surprised how many hoops I had to jump through to get my hands on "xcode", but finally I can start compiling stuff for mac from my base system!

Oh and it's pretty interesting because I have two monitors up allowing me to run a complete mac os in full screen on one side, move my mouse between them, and copy-paste stuff between them. It's quite fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

12. Post #692
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts

Finally got a virtual machine running mac os; I'm surprised how many hoops I had to jump through to get my hands on "xcode", but finally I can start compiling stuff for mac from my base system!

Oh and it's pretty interesting because I have two monitors up allowing me to run a complete mac os in full screen on one side, move my mouse between them, and copy-paste stuff between them. It's quite fun.
    How the fuck did you get OS X to run in a VM? I spent a few days trying that and all I got was kernel panics about ACPI.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #693
    CoderHire
    November 2007
    1,466 Posts

I had a problem where I wanted OSX in full screen at 1920x1080 and the drivers refused to do it. Did you get around that or are you running OSX on a smaller res?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

14. Post #694
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    2,822 Posts
    When I ran OSX as both a vm and hackintosh, I could only choose between 1024x768, 1280x1024 or 1600x1200
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #695
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts

wow that OS X is ridiculously out of date
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

16. Post #696
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    I've seen this before.
    Yep, it's a remake of my Voxel game Forgotten Voxels with Mono instead of .net

I've posted a lot of pics and videos of it before, so it's not strange that you have seen it before!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

17. Post #697
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,110 Posts
    I'm talking about the background.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

18. Post #698
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    Oh, it's from this picture:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #699
    June 2010
    77 Posts
    I was hoping for it to rotate :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #700
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,439 Posts
    I think he's talking about the resemblance to this:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15 (list)

21. Post #701
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    4,745 Posts
    How does this look now?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4 (list)

22. Post #702
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,439 Posts
    How does this look now?
    <vid snop>
    That's pretty nice, and I have two suggestions:
    1.) Make the background stay there for all menus, having it disappear is a bit odd and feels kinda jarring in a way.
    2.) Maybe you could animate those buttons somehow so the transitions between various menus are a bit smoother.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #703
    BOSSMAN
    January 2009
    4,445 Posts
    How does this look now?
    The cornflower blue really ruins it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

24. Post #704
    March 2011
    625 Posts
    The font is terrible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 16Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #705
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,685 Posts
    How the fuck did you get OS X to run in a VM? I spent a few days trying that and all I got was kernel panics about ACPI.
    It took about 6 tries, found out at the install you need to "customize" it to include the kernel, bootloader, and the os. I mean, what the fuck, shouldn't that install by default ???

I had a problem where I wanted OSX in full screen at 1920x1080 and the drivers refused to do it. Did you get around that or are you running OSX on a smaller res?
    When I ran OSX as both a vm and hackintosh, I could only choose between 1024x768, 1280x1024 or 1600x1200
    Mine actually only supports one resolution, and it doesn't even fill my screen. I'd work to fix it, but I don't really care.

wow that OS X is ridiculously out of date
    Just found out xcode needs the most up-to-date version of OSX, but updating causes it to break and not boot up ughghg. So glad I have vm snapshots.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

26. Post #706
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,836 Posts

aaaahhhh
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 12Artistic Artistic x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #707
    February 2011
    1,263 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7Winner Winner x 2 (list)

28. Post #708
    July 2009
    7,173 Posts
    I love how a little string magic,
    Code:
    subfile.getAbsolutePath().substring(rootPath.length()+1);
    can do wonders with filesystem stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

29. Post #709
    January 2008
    329 Posts
    kitteh

oh yes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny x 8Artistic x 1Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #710
    July 2009
    7,173 Posts
    Aaand done:

[sub][sub]don't hurt me valve[/sub][/sub]

Edited:

It's a dropbox like thing for managing your steam cloud data
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Useful Useful x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #711
    Aaand done:

Edited:

Where's my download link?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

32. Post #712
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    8,933 Posts
    Aaand done:

Edited:

That looks really useful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #713
    July 2009
    7,173 Posts
    Not entirely sure it's legal due to you not being able to get the steamworks api without having request it from steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

34. Post #714
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    I've spent my last two days trying to get lighting working in my opengl application. It's my first attempt ever at lighting and that's probably why I'm failing so horribly. Anyways, no matter what I try, this is the best I've actually managed to get it:

If someone can figure out my mistake just based on this, that would be awesome. ( no idea what piece of my code that might be interesting )
    In any case, does anyone know of any up-to-date normal generation & basic lighting tutorial? All I've been able to find are outdated lighting tutorials using the fixed pipeline or some that either assumed your shader was working perfectly or that your normals were perfect. None that dealt with both issues at the same time. And I still don't know if it's my shader or if it's my normals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

35. Post #715
    November 2007
    599 Posts
    You may want to try colouring your triangles with your normals, will be easier to spot any problems with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

36. Post #716
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    You may want to try colouring your triangles with your normals, will be easier to spot any problems with them.
    Like so?

I must admit that I am completely new with lighting and normals, but that was a pretty good idea. It seems like they're completely wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

37. Post #717
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    How are you even calculating them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

38. Post #718
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    How are you even calculating them
    I have no idea anymore. I've simply tried so many different ways and they all end up with a different weird looking result.

So if you know any good resource that gives me a decent idea about how to go about it, please, let me know. Because I've probably tried just about any method I could think of.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #719
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,130 Posts
    Triangle ABC. Normal is the cross product of AB and AC. Right?

Edited:

Basically I'm assuming you can take the cross product, but to get the operands, assuming the location vectors of the three points are a, b and c, use b-a as the first operand and c-a as the second. I believe. It's been a while since I've done vectors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #720
    April 2007
    818 Posts
    Yeah, that's one of the things I tried. Like so, right?

Code:
    for (int z = 0; z < MAP_Z; z++)
    {
        for (int x = 0; x < MAP_X; x++)
    	{
    		glm::vec3 A = glm::vec3( terrain[x][z][0], terrain[x][z][1], terrain[x][z][2] );
    		glm::vec3 B = glm::vec3( terrain[x+1][z][0], terrain[x+1][z][1], terrain[x+1][z][2] );
    		glm::vec3 C = glm::vec3( terrain[x][z+1][0], terrain[x][z+1][1], terrain[x][z+1][2] );

normals.push_back( glm::normalize( glm::cross( B - A, C - A ) ) );
    	}
    }
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)