1. Post #881
    January 2008
    329 Posts
    Gotta love memory leaks
    I usually try to fix them shortly after discovering one, the latest build doesn't have any leaks so far...

I'm sure it will get some when I add a new feature. It always does...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events

2. Post #882

January 2012
    133 Posts
    Thanks! The only thing I need to test is if I can take multi-lingual text input. Right now glfw doesn't support text input from things like IBus so I can't fake a non-english keyboard. (but I submitted a feature request for it)

So uh, anyone have a non-english keyboard out there?

Edited:

You can grab a binary here:
    win64
    win32
    source

Start up the map editor, press escape, then attempt to type in non-english characters into the text input box.
    Post results please!
    WinXP (stop laughing): doesn't even load
    Lubuntu VM: Couldn't compile. CMake hates me on all OSes ;_;
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #883
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    448 Posts
    Oh, and the bandwidth limit you're mentioning. Is that self induced or are the components actually separated?
    The components are separated, though in this case 384 kbps is a limit of a transmission channel I choose. There are faster ones, but the radio transmission model I have so far makes sense only for lower speeds.

The transmission speed depends on bandwidth (in MHz).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #884
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Code:
    $ cmake . && make
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #885
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    Our game finally has shown up in the Windows App store. We've worked really hard the past 6 weeks making it.

It's called Inkarus. You can find it by either searching, or looking under Games>New Releases (Note: you have to be running RTM, which hits MSDN today). I'd be really grateful if you could let me know what you think about it. Here's some screenshots:

If anyone is interested, I'll write a bit regarding the tech behind the game, and some of the challenges we encountered working with WinRT. For now, the basic overview of how our engine works is like this:

I would also be willing to share some code if anyone is interested.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner x 14Programming King x 2Dumb x 1Artistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #886
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,715 Posts
    For the windowsXP, can you paste me the log.txt? I'm guessing you don't support glsl 3.30 which I wrote my shaders in. I plan to support older opengl's in the future.
    If not the log should reveal to me what's wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

7. Post #887
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Would it be possible to use C++ in the windows app store?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

8. Post #888
    Garry doesn't deserve a penny of my money
    October 2008
    1,166 Posts
    I think metro apps have a html/js, c# and a c++ API.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #889
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,497 Posts
    I might be wrong, but you have to use a special version of C++ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Runtime)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #890
    June 2010
    1,341 Posts
    Weapons kinda work a la NES LoZ.

Enemies die now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

11. Post #891
    January 2008
    329 Posts
    Weapons kinda work a la NES LoZ.

Enemies die now.
    Lord Nige looks like a penguin crusader. I like it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #892
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    I might be wrong, but you have to use a special version of C++ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Runtime)
    You can, but it's a tad bit limited. We have a team that did heavy video and audio editing in C++ so I'm sure it's capable of doing what you'd need. You can look here for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B/CX

I think metro apps have a html/js, c# and a c++ API.
    Yep, you can mix and match any of those. You can also use libraries such as SharpDx and Monogame (XNA! Woo!) too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events

13. Post #893
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Do I have to use Direct3D?

14. Post #894
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    Do I have to use Direct3D?
    It depends. You can also use MonoGame which is just like XNA (which is Direct3D). Our team didn't have MonoGame, and we didn't have the time to create a 2d Dx engine so we experimented around and chose to use JavaScript to do rendering, and C# for logic/physics. The JavaScript part of our game simply pulls a list of sprites (and their position, alpha, rotation, etc) to draw from our C# code, and just draws them on a Canvas. It's all hardware accelerated so speed was never an issue for us.

15. Post #895
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    It depends. You can also use MonoGame which is just like XNA (which is Direct3D). Our team didn't have MonoGame, and we didn't have the time to create a 2d Dx engine so we experimented around and chose to use JavaScript to do rendering, and C# for logic/physics. The JavaScript part of our game simply pulls a list of sprites (and their position, alpha, rotation, etc) to draw from our C# code, and just draws them on a Canvas. It's all hardware accelerated so speed was never an issue for us.
    So no OpenGL?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

16. Post #896
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Will I really have to maintain two rendering engines if I use Direct3D?

Maybe somebody could have OOGL map to D3D?

17. Post #897
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,059 Posts
    Me and Perl has been fucking around in computercraft for a while now. Decided to write a C# http server that gives you an array of pictures converted into ASCII art. Then turn that into an animation in computercraft.

Still working on getting the image to be sharper. It's really hard to see what's going on sometimes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #898
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    So no OpenGL?
    Will I really have to maintain two rendering engines if I use Direct3D?

Maybe somebody could have OOGL map to D3D?
    As much as I dislike OpenGL, it would be nice to someday see it be featured in WinRT. The problem is that all of WinRT's rendering is built on top of Dx, so they would need to rewrite a lot of low-level backend stuff (which requires time and money). It would be really neat/amazing to see an engine that remaps OpenGL to D3D code, but I don't know if that's even possible.

19. Post #899
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    As much as I dislike OpenGL, it would be nice to someday see it be featured in WinRT. The problem is that all of WinRT's rendering is built on top of Dx, so they would need to rewrite a lot of low-level backend stuff (which requires time and money). It would be really neat/amazing to see an engine that remaps OpenGL to D3D code, but I don't know if that's even possible.
    Not OpenGL, but OpenGL ES, sure: http://code.google.com/p/angleproject/

This is what Chrome uses on Windows for WebGL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #900
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts

This is what Chrome uses on Windows for WebGL.
    Doesn't Chrome for Windows use DirectX?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

21. Post #901
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    Doesn't Chrome for Windows use DirectX?
    yes, he just posted what it uses
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

22. Post #902
    January 2011
    2,013 Posts
    For the windowsXP, can you paste me the log.txt? I'm guessing you don't support glsl 3.30 which I wrote my shaders in. I plan to support older opengl's in the future.
    If not the log should reveal to me what's wrong.
    3.30? Shit man, the graphics on this XP comp only support OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.2

Makes it really easy to have backwards-compatibility I guess...

Edited:

Yeah it just instantly seg-faults for me.

Also, why the fuck are you dynamically linking everything? For fuck's sake, GLFW is only 47.5 KB.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

23. Post #903
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    I don't want to start a flame war, I really don't want to, but Facepunch programmers are pretty bias towards OpenGL for the obvious reasons. I'd like to know why you dislike it?

Edited:

That's genius.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #904
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    And the theme song starts playing in my head

Computercraft is really rad, though. I like using it for everything possible on servers that have it.

Edited:

Oh man 1.4 makes it even more rad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #905
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,715 Posts
    3.30? Shit man, the graphics on this XP comp only support OpenGL 2.1 and GLSL 1.2

Makes it really easy to have backwards-compatibility I guess...

Edited:

Yeah it just instantly seg-faults for me.

Also, why the fuck are you dynamically linking everything? For fuck's sake, GLFW is only 47.5 KB.
    The only reason it requires opengl (glsl?) 3.30 is because I wrote the shaders using a 3.30 tutorial :u. It should be easy to change it to use old opengl/glsl.
    I'm dynamically linking because it's far easier. Attempting to statically link caused tons of problems that I'm not willing to fix when it's such an early game prototype and I don't even use windows.

In the future I'll look into static linking, but right now I'll work on adding old opengl support. Thanks for the feedback!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #906
    June 2010
    77 Posts
    Our game finally has shown up in the Windows App store. We've worked really hard the past 6 weeks making it.

It's called Inkarus. You can find it by either searching, or looking under Games>New Releases (Note: you have to be running RTM, which hits MSDN today). I'd be really grateful if you could let me know what you think about it. Here's some screenshots:

If anyone is interested, I'll write a bit regarding the tech behind the game, and some of the challenges we encountered working with WinRT. For now, the basic overview of how our engine works is like this:

I would also be willing to share some code if anyone is interested.
    May I ask why(and how?) you used javascript for drawing, while you could use that xaml ui thing that comes with metro style app stuff? (I dont have vs right now, its broken for me and I just cant open it and remember what it was, but I suppose there was another "normal" ui option comes with metrostyle project as default when you create it)
    I had one chance to look at metrostyle then visual studio broke. so its likely that im missing something obvious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #907
    April 2007
    1,150 Posts
    Computercraft is really rad, though. I like using it for everything possible on servers that have it.
    Seconding this. Now I know a little Lua!

Edited:

let's see how many people notice the space
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #908
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    May I ask why(and how?) you used javascript for drawing, while you could use that xaml ui thing that comes with metro style app stuff? (I dont have vs right now, its broken for me and I just cant open it and remember what it was, but I suppose there was another "normal" ui option comes with metrostyle project as default when you create it)
    I had one chance to look at metrostyle then visual studio broke. so its likely that im missing something obvious.
    We used JS for drawing because we need to place images and move them around a lot. It's not really possible to do that quickly using xaml (xaml is used mostly for UI/static stuff).

As for the how, WinRT projects let you add multiple projects to a single solution that use different languages. The solution's main project uses HTML/JS, and so it makes an instance of the C# gamelogic, and updates it while also getting a list of things to draw from it. The gamelogic object is written in C#, but can be instanced from JavaScript.
    I don't want to start a flame war, I really don't want to, but Facepunch programmers are pretty bias towards OpenGL for the obvious reasons. I'd like to know why you dislike it?

Edited:

That's genius.
    Documentation is lacking, no audio/input, and the overall development of OpenGL (the project) is really slow. I feel that OpenGL is a lot less "organized" in both the API department and the management of the project. In today's day and age though, neither of the two have all that much difference overall, so really it's more of just a personal preference. It's not like I won't buy a game because it uses OpenGL or anything like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #909
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Documentation is lacking, no audio/input, and the overall development of OpenGL (the project) is really slow. I feel that OpenGL is a lot less "organized" in both the API department and the management of the project. In today's day and age though, neither of the two have all that much difference overall, so really it's more of just a personal preference. It's not like I won't buy a game because it uses OpenGL or anything like that.
    While this is true, OpenGL is an open standard and is cross platform. That should give it preference over others should it not?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

30. Post #910
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    2,319 Posts
    While this is true, OpenGL is an open standard and is cross platform. That should give it preference over others should it not?
    I've always wondered the same thing. Although I've heard that DirectX is more powerful than openGL on Windows. But the fact that openGL runs on pretty much everything except the xbox 360 and is still pretty powerful is a good reason to use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

31. Post #911
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    That's true, and it's a very good reason to use OpenGL. However, there are some issues: OSX does not support OpenGL 4.0 yet, and both Nvidia and ATI refuse to be cooperative with their drivers.

I should also add that I don't develop 3d games or applications. I really get frustrated though when people get their panties in a bunch when a company chooses Dx over OpenGL. A lot of people don't realize that the market (Windows + Xbox) is in favor for Dx and is usually the most cost-effective solution. However, If I was an indie developer who was making a new game tomorrow, I would choose OpenGL purely because I would be able to get more sales.

Edited:

I've always wondered the same thing. Although I've heard that DirectX is more powerful than openGL on Windows. But the fact that openGL runs on pretty much everything except the xbox 360 and is still pretty powerful is a good reason to use it.
    Well kinda. PS3 uses an odd version and has the whole SPU thing going on so the cost/time needed to develop for it is going to be the same regardless of what you're starting off in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #912
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,497 Posts
    That's true, and it's a very good reason to use OpenGL. However, there are some issues: OSX does not support OpenGL 4.0 yet, and both Nvidia and ATI refuse to be cooperative with their drivers.

I should also add that I don't develop 3d games or applications. I really get frustrated though when people get their panties in a bunch when a company chooses Dx over OpenGL. A lot of people don't realize that the market (Windows + Xbox) is in favor for Dx and is usually the most cost-effective solution. However, If I was an indie developer who was making a new game tomorrow, I would choose OpenGL purely because I would be able to get more sales.

Edited:

Well kinda. PS3 uses an odd version and has the whole SPU thing going on so the cost/time needed to develop for it is going to be the same regardless of what you're starting off in.
    Most PS3 games tend to use a Low-Level graphics API that isn't OpenGL or DirectX.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

33. Post #913
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    no audio/input
    You do realise the question isn't "DirectX or OpenGL" but "Direct3D or OpenGL", right? Graphics APIs aren't supposed to have audio or input functionality.

It's called OpenGL ES.

Practically, that means you'd be likely to get your mobile games easily ported on PS3 or something
    (Of course, if you don't use many non-ES functions the porting of the graphics code is gonna be relatively simple)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

34. Post #914
    February 2008
    558 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

35. Post #915
    October 2007
    52 Posts
    Currently working on an API wrapper I'm calling "Vanillin". It exposes the standard Lua C API to binary modules written for GMod by implementing all of their functions using the GMod C API. So far, it's about 95% working, and its useage is literally drop-in. It takes the form of a static library called "lua51.lib", and during your build process, you just link against that instead of the Lua 5.1 DLL's import library (also called "lua51.lib") - there's no changes to the source code of any of these programs necessary, just need to be re-linked and renamed.
    This makes most of the hundreds of already-written binary modules for Lua available for Garry's Mod, and more importantly for the large multi-person project I've been working on, means my team and I don't have to write separate versions of our binary modules for Garry's Mod and for the rest of the Lua Universe. Plus it's just nicer to be able to write with a more sane, consistent, and well-documented API that we have experience working with.

Here are some screenshots of the primary things I've been testing it with. First up, LPeg, a kind of advanced pattern-matching library that takes after SNOBOL:

Here's LuaXInput, a module I wrote myself for my large team project; it is one of the sub-modules of a larger LuaGameInput library, one of my personal projects:

Here are the MD5 and DES56 libraries, part of the Kepler Project:

And finally, here's LuaSocket, which is currently only mostly working...the TCP stuff seems fine but http.request() is crashing me:

The library implements all of the Lua C API's functions but does not necessarily support all of them...things like lua_setallocf() or lua_setpanic() will merely trigger an error, for obvious reasons. But through much effort and reverse-engineering, it fully and correctly supports things like strings with embedded nuls (both pushing and retrieving), lua_getstack() and lua_getinfo(), full userdata works correctly, including setting arbitrary metatables on it and correct support for __gc metamethods...it's been a lot of effort and I've spent nearly three months on this all told, but the gains have been well worth it.

With the changes to the API coming in GMod 13, it's delayed progress by about two weeks, but when it's all finished, I'll release it to the public. I can imagine quite a few people will be able to get a lot of use out of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Programming King Programming King x 2 (list)

36. Post #916
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    Although I've heard that DirectX is more powerful than openGL on Windows.
    Valve ported L4D2 to OpenGL, they posted a detailed post on their Linux blog about it. Ran at the same FPS as the DX version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #917
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    423 Posts

Edited:

Have you considered making a modular rendering engine that accept more than one API? It's much more easier to implement than what most people would except, especially if you are using CG for OGL since the syntax is exactly the same as HLSL. I've always seen this as the perfect alternative for rendering
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

38. Post #918
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    You do realise the question isn't "DirectX or OpenGL" but "Direct3D or OpenGL", right? Graphics APIs aren't supposed to have audio or input functionality.

It's called OpenGL ES.

Practically, that means you'd be likely to get your mobile games easily ported on PS3 or something
    (Of course, if you don't use many non-ES functions the porting of the graphics code is gonna be relatively simple)
    I tend to group them together because there's no point of just using direct3d without considering directwrite+directcompute+direct2d
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #919
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,189 Posts
    Here are the MD5 and DES56 libraries, part of the Kepler Project:

I find it quite unlikely that you would be breaking cryptographically somewhat secure hashes in real time. Consider using the verb "hash" and just speaking about the original message. It causes me pain when people suggest hashes might simply be a form of encoding or encryption when they [cryptographic hashes] are (supposed to be) irreversible mappings of strings to n-bit integers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

40. Post #920
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    2,735 Posts
    Valve ported L4D2 to OpenGL, they posted a detailed post on their Linux blog about it. Ran at the same FPS as the DX version.
    They were also running L4D2 in Dx9, which has a massive overhead that was eliminated in Dx10/11.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)