1. Post #1321
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    I gotta say, who thought it was a good idea to suddenly switch code style in SFML 2? It serves no practical use, besides intentionally breaking all existing codebases.
    I wonder how long it took to change them all.

In other news, I added texture caching to gwen's renderer, now it doesn't have to copy the texture back from video memory every time just to query the value of a single pixel (Who's idea was that?). The downside is memory consumption though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #1322
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts

I now understand matrices, thanks to Overv's awesome tutorial!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 8Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #1323
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    I gotta say, who thought it was a good idea to suddenly switch code style in SFML 2? It serves no practical use, besides intentionally breaking all existing codebases.
    SFML2 is not backwards compatible with 1.6.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #1324
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    SFML2 is not backwards compatible with 1.6.
    What he means is SFML2 already had a code style, not a change from 1.6 -> 2.0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #1325
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    What he means is SFML2 already had a code style, not a change from 1.6 -> 2.0.
    SFML 2 is still in development, programming against the master git branch is going to have these problems.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

6. Post #1326
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Finally got collisions working perfectly in Wulf2012 by doing the stupidly obvious step of sorting the tiles before checking for potential penetration.
    I've no idea why I wasn't before, but it was leading to some very dodgy situations where you would collide with things behind other things which resulted in completely wrong responses and occasional infinite loops.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

7. Post #1327
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    Anyone know of a drop dead simple configuration language I can implement myself(no external libraries) that isn't ini?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

8. Post #1328
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    Anyone know of a drop dead simple configuration language I can implement myself(no external libraries) that isn't ini?
    JSON
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1329
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts

Aw yeah, cubes with matrices. I can start bashing stuff together now.

Edited:

if you guys are getting bored with my first opengl es app, please tell me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1330
    August 2009
    385 Posts
    Didn't get as much done last night as expected because loading textures for OpenGL in the LWJGL is annoying (why the focus on Buffer objects, WHY).

Still, I have the awesome blended kitten and puppy images, and took on the first exercise at the bottom of the tutorial to change the blending over time:
    YAY Youtube fucked the quality

Next up is matrices and transformation; would've done it last night but the LWJGL vector/matrix math functions are fucking weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

11. Post #1331
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    And save them as BSON, if needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

12. Post #1332
    October 2011
    508 Posts

Random room generator!

Seriously this one took ages to do with tons of shit code. For some reason I decided to make quads and the split them down to triangles. It was hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 4Informative Informative x 1Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

13. Post #1333
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    lua
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #1334
    Follow me on GitHub!
    June 2011
    2,101 Posts
    drop dead simple configuration language I can implement myself(no external libraries)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #1335
    June 2012
    549 Posts
    First, what's wrong with INI if it has to be so simple?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #1336
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    quotes
    I raise you a Premake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events

17. Post #1337
    January 2010
    214 Posts
    I learned matrix this year, it's very easy. But the Overv's tutorial is awesome!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

18. Post #1338
    This title has been removed due to a copyright claim from Viacom Inc.
    July 2008
    3,489 Posts
    First, what's wrong with INI if it has to be so simple?
    I'd like to try something new.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

19. Post #1339
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,095 Posts
    I'd like to try something new.
    You can use my INI parser made WITH lua if that's any help then? ^^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #1340
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,902 Posts
    SFML 2 is still in development, programming against the master git branch is going to have these problems.
    They should really use semantic versioning. If they break existing code bases, they have to raise the major version (i.e. go to 3.0.0) even if they never officially released 2.0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #1341
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    They should really use semantic versioning. If they break existing code bases, they have to raise the major version (i.e. go to 3.0.0) even if they never officially released 2.0.
    Though 2.0 isn't out yet because it's not finished, it's only available as a convenience. The API change was from 1.6 -> 2.0.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #1342
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    I meeant more the techniques, like in this example shadow mapping(or in open.gl floor reflections), than the funcions thenselfs
    That's what I meant, I learned how shadow mapping works from the wikipedia page. I figured out the related shader operations to accomplish it myself. The floor reflections was completely my own idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3 (list)

23. Post #1343
    May 2010
    5,411 Posts
    That's what I meant, I learned how shadow mapping works from the wikipedia page. I figured out the related shader operations to accomplish it myself. The floor reflections was completely my own idea.
    Am I right to say that shadow mapping goes like:
    clear stencil buffer to 0
    Draw scene from lights perspective to stencil buffer using 1
    make values from stenci buffer where values are 1 darker
    use stencil buffer texture as floor
    draw object
    draw scene from players view
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

24. Post #1344
    open.gl
    February 2007
    7,431 Posts
    They should keep 1.6 on the master branch until 2.0 is finished though.

draw object
    Not quite.

- Render scene from light "view" to frame buffer.
    - Render scene from eye view and determine if fragment is in the shadow or not by projecting its 3D position onto the light depth texture and comparing the depth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

25. Post #1345
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    draw object
    Not really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_mapping

Depth maps, matrices and other stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

26. Post #1346
    August 2010
    860 Posts
    XML.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Hungary Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #1347
    September 2011
    181 Posts

Don't judge me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 42Winner x 6Disagree x 1Useful x 1Programming King x 1 (list)

28. Post #1348
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,498 Posts
    XML.
    XML may be drop dead, but it's not simple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #1349
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    588 Posts

Don't judge me.
    I'm gonna need this when you're done.

For research.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 30Agree Agree x 15Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #1350
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    3,063 Posts
    Learning ruby because it appears to be an elegant language and possibly because swift and shift used it for that OS thing and I look up to him

Edited:

No wait I meant TwoStroke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8Funny Funny x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

31. Post #1351
    Learning ruby because it appears to be an elegant language and possibly because swift and shift used it for that OS thing and I look up to him
    Highly recommended. It's a beautiful language.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #1352
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Wasn't there an FP openID a while ago? I remember someone talking about it, but I can't remember where it was or how to use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #1353
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    3,063 Posts
    Highly recommended. It's a beautiful language.
    So far I'm loving the fact you can omit brackets to make the code more readable, the whole symbol thing is a little confusing but I think I have the basics down. The Little Book of Ruby did suddenly go from generic code snippets to how it integrates into some game I didn't even know I'd be making. Can you suggest a better resource for someone stuck in C-style curly bracket semicolon ways?

34. Post #1354
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    that feeling when you struggle with something for an hour, go to do something else and when you come back solve it in less than a minute
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #1355
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,363 Posts
    During the day, I'm not motivated to do anything. At 2 in the morning, I get all this inspiration to program but I end up going to bed because I don't want to feel like shit in the morning. Any solutions?
    11AM-1:30AM: watch cats
    1:30AM- ??? : try to achieve the greatest things
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #1356
    So far I'm loving the fact you can omit brackets to make the code more readable, the whole symbol thing is a little confusing but I think I have the basics down. The Little Book of Ruby did suddenly go from generic code snippets to how it integrates into some game I didn't even know I'd be making. Can you suggest a better resource for someone stuck in C-style curly bracket semicolon ways?
    I liked this book: http://nostarch.com/ruby

Symbols are awesome. I miss them. If you have any specific questions about them I'd be happy to answer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

37. Post #1357
    I bought a title for $1.
    March 2011
    3,063 Posts
    So are symbols sort of like global constants with no actual value? I mean is :title in one class equal to :title in another assuming they can be checked for equality at all?

38. Post #1358
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts

A new VBO is generated when one of those blocks is changed. The screenshot is showing 4x4 blocks. Now to try something much.. Much. Larger.

Edited:

oh man I fucking love this.

Edited:

also I have terrible colour choice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 10Artistic Artistic x 2Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #1359
    September 2011
    1,489 Posts

I now understand matrices, thanks to Overv's awesome tutorial!
    I seriously hate matrices because I never had them in math at college or highschool, and they are a pretty important thing in opengl.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #1360
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I seriously hate matrices because I never had them in math at college or highschool, and they are a pretty important thing in opengl.
    Just look them up and do your own research instead?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)