1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,635 Posts
    http://bodyodd.nbcnews.com/_news/201...tudy-says?lite

Sometime in his late 30s, after his hair had been thinning for several years, Dr. Albert Mannes decided to shave what was left of his mane. He then noticed a curious thing: "Strangers were more standoffish, more deferential," he recalls.

"I found that people treated me differently once I started shaving my head, which made me wonder whether my experience was unique," says Mannes.

This led Mannes, a lecturer at the Wharton School, at the University of Pennsylvania, to design three experiments that tested other people's perception of men with shaved heads. His findings appear in the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

All three studies found similar results: A man's shorn scalp was linked with dominance. In other words, men with shaved heads were perceived as powerful by others.

It seems that closely cropped or bald domes have a certain manly swagger to them that project a powerful look.

In the first study, 59 college students looked at 25 photographs of men enrolled in a business school program. Ten of the men had shaved heads while
    the rest wore their hair in various styles and lengths.

Volunteers rated the photos of men with shorn scalps as more dominant, meaning they looked more powerful, influential, and authoritative than those
    with a full head of hair.

In a second experiment, 344 adults were shown photographs of four different men. One photo was of the man's real hair and a second shot of him had
    been digitally altered to remove all of it.

Adults rated men with the digitally shaved heads as more dominant than his coiffed counterpart, an effect researchers say was largely due to
    perceiving men with shorn scalps as having more confidence and masculinity.

In addition, men without much hair were viewed as nearly an inch taller and 13 percent stronger than men with plenty of it. Although a shaved head
    had its advantages, men were rated as less attractive and looking nearly four years older than guys with full heads of hair.

Why is a nearly bare head perceived as more dominant? Mannes offers three explanations.

For one, he points to stereotypes. "Shaved heads are found in American culture in traditionally masculine professions, such as the military, law
    enforcement, and sports," Mannes explains.

A second is that a man who shaves his head is viewed as unconventional. And there's some evidence that the powerful are less inhibited about
    violating conventional norms, he says.

Finally, Mannes suggests that since "Society places such a high aesthetic value on hair, it takes confidence for a man to dispense with it."

In a third experiment, no photographs were used and more than 500 adults rated their perception of a man based solely on a written physical
    description of him. All volunteers read the exact same profile except for the description of his hair, which portrayed him as having thick brown hair,
    thinning brown hair, or a shaved head.

The man described as having a shaved head was rated highest in dominance, masculinity, leadership potential, and strength. The guy with thick
    tresses scored higher for attractiveness than a shorn scalp and slightly higher on confidence.

The dude with thinning hair scored the lowest on every trait except for norm violation.

"Men with thinning hair may improve their self-esteem and how they are perceived by others by shaving," Mannes suggests.

He advises men who are getting sparse on top "to stop fighting Mother Nature and try the shaved look."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 69Funny x 10Winner x 7Informative x 3Dumb x 2Late x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    October 2009
    2,302 Posts
    I guess skinheads are the new master race
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 23Optimistic Optimistic x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Winner for Heisenberg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 76Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,673 Posts
    Breaking news, Water's still wet, study says
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Optimistic x 10Dumb x 7Informative x 6Agree x 5Funny x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,667 Posts
    I have heard that the reason for male pattern baldness is to establish a trait that is found in more dominant, senior individuals, similar to silver back on a gorilla.

Perhaps this is an extension of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    4,870 Posts
    You know all of these studies seem to be complete bullshit, because it's entirely dependent on who you ask, being a topic concerning lots of opinions.

That being said, I think they look tougher.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    4,370 Posts
    You know all of these studies seem to be complete bullshit, because it's entirely dependent on who you ask, being a topic concerning lots of opinions.

That being said, I think they look tougher.
    To be fair I've never heard someone say otherwise.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,992 Posts

What a hardass.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 191Winner Winner x 6 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    9,240 Posts

What a hardass.
    That. Motherfucker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,474 Posts
    What if you look like a giant penis with a shaved head
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    ultimate poster
    November 2007
    13,561 Posts
    What if you look like a giant penis with a shaved head
    its like any haircut or fashion choice; some things work for some people and not for others
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    if only there were methods to prevent that from being an issue....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    12,834 Posts

What a hardass.
    Shit dude is that a fucking skinhead

14. Post #14
    April 2012
    3,361 Posts

yeah max payne is pretty tough looking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Zing Zing x 44Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    December 2010
    6,407 Posts
    Scary bald dudes? All I can think of is Bronson.

And Max Payne.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    6,785 Posts
    yeah max payne is pretty tough looking
    Fucking knew I'd be beaten to it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

17. Post #17
    May 2010
    1,385 Posts
    its like any haircut or fashion choice; some things work for some people and not for others
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 29Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    476 Posts
    Any absence will of course change perception; especially within fashion.

19. Post #19
    December 2009
    10,375 Posts
    Now they need to study which one of these is tougher so science finally knows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 37Funny Funny x 6 (list)

20. Post #20
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,620 Posts
    Winner for Heisenberg
    i feel mike is right on up there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,337 Posts
    I guess that kinda makes sense since longer hair more resembles a girl.

22. Post #22
    November 2007
    11,667 Posts
    Now they need to study which one of these is tougher so science finally knows.
    I do think it somewhat odd that men are encouraged to shave all their facial hair.

We evolved facial hair to distinguish ourselves from women. It is a secondary sexual characteristic. Say what you will about women shaving their legs, but for men to shave our facial hair is something else entirely- we are making ourselves more resemble women.

Edited:

I guess that kinda makes sense since longer hair more resembles a girl.
    Except that men's head hair grows faster. Which goes back to why are we expected to have it shorter, if an au naturale man would have more than a woman?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    I do think it somewhat odd that men are encouraged to shave all their facial hair.

We evolved facial hair to distinguish ourselves from women. It is a secondary sexual characteristic. Say what you will about women shaving their legs, but for men to shave our facial hair is something else entirely- we are making ourselves more resemble women.

Edited:

Except that men's head hair grows faster. Which goes back to why are we expected to have it shorter, if an au naturale man would have more than a woman?
    Who cares? Some people have facial hair, some people don't, its not some conspiracy, some people just don't look good with facial hair, in fact, most people don't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Harold Ramis's No. 1 Fan
    June 2010
    2,771 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 39Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    what about bald ladies

26. Post #26
    October 2008
    698 Posts

Some times they actually are tough. Bas rutten is a perfect example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,713 Posts
    what about bald ladies
    I don't want to be mean but they look like cancer victims.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1Funny Funny x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2007
    11,667 Posts
    Who cares? Some people have facial hair, some people don't, its not some conspiracy, some people just don't look good with facial hair, in fact, most people don't.
    I don't claim it is conspiracy, nor do I claim (as some will imagine I'm sure) that I am in any way oppressed. I just think it's paradoxical.

29. Post #29
    Blue Member?
    October 2010
    7,620 Posts

?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 100Winner Winner x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    May 2008
    1,534 Posts

Oh well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Turkey Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

31. Post #31
    ASK ME ABOUT MY BEN FOLDS FETISH
    April 2010
    6,629 Posts
    Shaved. It's a hairdo.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 16 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    939 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 14Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33

June 2009
    1,811 Posts

What a hardass.
    Oh my god I would not fight that guy ever.

Seriously, that guy made me shit myself

edit: oh my god 499 posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Winner Winner x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    this applies to women too right

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 55 (list)

35. Post #35
    BroDuck's Buttslut
    January 2011
    5,243 Posts
    My dad has a goatee and a shaved head, and a scary voice.

He terrifies me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,787 Posts

This explains everything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 25Funny Funny x 3 (list)

37. Post #37
    July 2012
    354 Posts

I wouldn't say that. Depending on my mood (And whether I've got a job interview/promotion coming up) I either wear a goatee or shave my face. The reason for this is because as a male of 22, I've got a pretty chiseled jaw and mouth, Travolta chin and all. Facial hair hides it somewhat, and shaving shows it off when I feel like showing it off.

38. Post #38
    November 2007
    11,667 Posts
    Yes, well part of the idea is, supposedly, that a jutting heroic chin is a desirable trait, and so if one is lacking in that department a big beard can give that illusion.

39. Post #39
    "Suicidal thoughts? Depression?  Harden the fuck up." -uzikus
    February 2010
    1,791 Posts
    Maybe it's just because they look more intimidating?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40

June 2009
    1,811 Posts
    this applies to women too right

The worst part is that she barely even looks like a woman in that picture...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16Disagree Disagree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)