1. Post #1
    Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar! Allah Akbar!
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    About 7 months ago my sister found a 1-2 month old puppy in the street, it had no tags and we couldn't find the owner. She brought it home and we decided to keep the dog, she was an adorable German Sherpard (or perhaps a mix, but she looks mostly german sherpad). We called her Frannie, got her shots and everything else that needed to be done. She was really hyper, fun, and just amazingly awesome. We built a fence by hand so she could have a large area to run around in, and we all pitched in to take care of her. Currently she is 9 months old.

Recently Frannie had begun to act strange, she didn't want to walk much and she was constantly sad. When she did walk she would walk with a limp and would never run. We did a little research and found out that hip dysplasia is rather common in German Shepards, so we took her to the vet. The vet said it was most likely hip dysplasia and took x-rays today.

Frannie is in a lot of pain right now and there's only one real way to help her. She's currently on pain killers but that's only a short term solution. The vet said that the only way to help her is surgery. And that's where we need help. The surgery is going to cost atleast $1,200.

We just don't have the money for it, we're trying to scrape together what we can but it's hard. My parents are currently trying to put 3 of us through college which I think we all know is a pain in the ass, as well as pay the bills.

I ask Facepunch because I've seen the community come together before to help others in situations like this.

Here she is currently

and this is the x-ray from the vet (it's very large)

I'm not really used to PayPal, but I have an account and from what I understand I just have to give my email, so here it is:

jken223@hotmail.com

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/send-money-online

Please help us, anything you can send would help. I'm not sure how conversion rates work for PayPal, but I live in the US.

We're putting as much money to this as we can, but it's hard and it still won't be enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 80Dumb x 7Informative x 2Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    February 2010
    269 Posts
    Best bet is to put her down sadly. Hip dyspepsia is common in large dogs and only gets worse and will takes lots of treatment and medication and still may not help the dog. I have had nothing but German Shepards and Rots in my life and they are very prone to getting this and bone cancer. It always sucks to put an animal you love down but in the long run it may be better for him/her, depending on how bad it is. I wish you and your dog the best of luck but life isn't kind especially to our beloved four legged friends.

I do beg you thou if you can not help her please put her down or give her to someone who can take care of her, I've seen owners not treat their animals with hip dyspepsia and its very horrible and painful to watch you can tell the animal is in horrible pain. I've seen dogs so bad that when they walk their hip dislocates and pops back in seriously terrible.

If you do put your animal down don't be a pussy and be like i can't watch or something like that you have to be there with her she will be more comfortable and you will feel much better about yourself, remember you have friends and family this dog only has you in its life.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 37Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    4,844 Posts
    My heart goes out to you, my last dog had heart disease her whole life and I know how hard it can be to have to deal with and medicate a sick dog. I wish you as long and healthy of a relationship as you can possibly have with your dog.

If I can figure out a way to easily get some online cash, I may pitch in a few dollars, I just hope that the one surgery is enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    January 2012
    363 Posts
    I feel bad for you, this type of situation never happened to me, I hope a lot of people send money and good luck, I will pray.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    February 2010
    269 Posts
    I just hope that the one surgery is enough.
    Sadly it may not be especially seeing how young the dog is, this is a reoccurring problem not something that just goes away, I really hate to be a debbie downer but putting her down may seriously be the best bet. Every day she walks on her leg it tears muscle and joint matter more adn more and scar tissue will build making it more and more painful.

You should seek other vets for a second opinion lots of times you can find vet students that will do it for cheaper or even vets that will work out payment plans with you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    We're trying to do and everything we can, if worse comes to worse we can give her away or even put her down, but we'd like to try what we can before jumping to any conclusions.

The last thing any of us want is to see her in pain.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    7,097 Posts
    I put my childhood dog down in January so I know how awful it must feel. Granted my dog lived a full life, we had to put her down for some kind of cancer but no one should have their dog taken from them way way before their time

If I can get my PayPal working, I'll donate if I can
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dennab
    July 2012
    1,278 Posts
    I'll give you what I can, man :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

9. Post #9
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    Thank you to both of you.

10. Post #10
    June 2012
    508 Posts
    I really wish I could do something to help with the financial issues, but I'm afraid I cannot do much, I will pray for you, your family and Frannie the Dog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 18Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    October 2009
    4,215 Posts
    I really wish I could do something to help with the financial issues, but I'm afraid I cannot do much, I will pray for you, your family and Frannie the Dog
    Please, before one of you assholes start bashing this guy for praying, remember it was supposed to be a polite gesture, not an insult. Besides, it wouldn't do much to help our (Atheists) reputation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Friendly Friendly x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Dennab
    March 2011
    1,945 Posts
    I have a 9-year old pug, he had hip dysplasia for a long time. Thankfully, we were able to get him surgery and now he's all better.

This isn't my dog, but he looks like this (happier though):

I'll see what I can do to convince my dad to let me use his PayPal so I can pitch in a bit of money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 8 (list)

13. Post #13
    June 2012
    344 Posts
    Oddly enough, my dogs never had any kind of disease and died of old age while my cats died in the most brutal way possible.

While I'm poor as heck because I just recently wasted money on a videogame ( fuck I feel guilty ), I'll try to get my father to lend money. He likes doggies.

14. Post #14
    July 2012
    88 Posts
    Paypal will be suspicios, will wonder why the fuck you have 1,200 dollars and freeze it.

but my heart goes out to you.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,531 Posts
    Paypal will be suspicios, will wonder why the fuck you have 1,200 dollars and freeze it.

but my heart goes out to you.
    Back when I did far less reputable things than I do now, and got massive quantities of money very quickly, paypal never gave a shit about that.

They seem very random in locking accts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    Well we don't need the full 1,200, if we just got half of that we could probably cover the rest cover the rest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    To the person who gave the 200 NOK, thank you. It means A LOT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 36 (list)

18. Post #18
    November 2009
    2,380 Posts
    daw

19. Post #19
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    Wow the same person just sent another 400 NOK, you are seriously an amazing person. Thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25 (list)

20. Post #20
    Sr.
    June 2012
    570 Posts
    If you don't make it to $1200, what are you going to do with the money you just begged for?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,287 Posts
    I hope Frannie gets enough for her surgery. Gave what I could. Poor pup.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    If you don't make it to $1200, what are you going to do with the money you just begged for?
    We don't need the full amount, anything we get will help. We're trying to do our best to not dig into another debt hole. No matter what, this money is going to Frannie.

Edited:

Thank you Ajacks, you too are an amazing person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 6 (list)

23. Post #23
    We're trying to do and everything we can, if worse comes to worse we can give her away or even put her down, but we'd like to try what we can before jumping to any conclusions.

The last thing any of us want is to see her in pain.
    If everything else fails it's best to put her down indeed.. I honestly cringe when i say that though. It's a horrible decision. Obviously i really hope that you can get the money together.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Dennab
    January 2012
    363 Posts
    Try putting a montage of her on youtube and at the end say " If you can, please donate money " I will do my best to link it on all the highest rated videos.

25. Post #25
    Try putting a montage of her on youtube and at the end say " If you can, please donate money " I will do my best to link it on all the highest rated videos.
    That's actually a pretty good idea. If the montage is good enough people will probably donate.

26. Post #26
    December 2009
    10,259 Posts
    That's actually a pretty good idea. If the montage is good enough people will probably donate.
    don't forget to use a sarah mclachlan song
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    It is indeed a good idea, I'll have to get some pictures and video together.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    January 2012
    363 Posts
    Be sure to put the link to the video in this thread.

29. Post #29
    It is indeed a good idea, I'll have to get some pictures and video together.
    I think you should make it a bit shocking. Like a happy video with your dog playing and stuff, and then at three quarters of the video tell people that if the dog won't get surgery real soon it might need to be put down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    January 2012
    363 Posts
    Yeah
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    You should also add that you took the dog in from the streets. It shows that you really care for your dog.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    ok my sister made a little video and also a website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vWeuzOK-Bc

http://surgeryfofrannie.weebly.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 9 (list)

33. Post #33
    August 2009
    8,228 Posts
    I was saving 30 bucks to buy someone dead island, and I don't have much money, but what the hell, I'll see what I can do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    Just put it out of it's misery, it doesn't deserve this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    September 2011
    1,033 Posts
    Wait until after the surgery before you say something like that, maybe?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    Dennab
    September 2008
    1,149 Posts
    Damn... I have 3 dogs at the moment that have gone through multiple surgeries and medications... All the doctors keep saying that they shouldn't be alive anymore... Sure, it's expensive as hell, but I love them!
    I can only wish you luck and tell you that miracles are possible :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,740 Posts
    Extremely sorry to hear OP, I know what it's like to go through a situation like this. My dog had cancer, and it had to be put down last year. But at least your dog has a much greater chance, and I sincerely hope it pulls through in the long run.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    April 2006
    15,974 Posts
    She's on pain killers right now, we're not going to just give up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    PERKELE
    May 2009
    5,953 Posts
    What causes Hip Dysplasia, why does it even happen? Best wishes to you and Frannie.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    867 Posts
    The email you mentioned in the OP is different from the one mentioned on the website when you go through the donation link. Which do you prefer we use?