1. Post #1
    March 2010
    84 Posts
    Hey guys I'm looking for a $400 build for my dad. Hes mainly going to use it for invoices, work, internet, and email. Nothing heavy.

Don't need:
    -keyboard, mouse, monitor

Do need:
    -Case and everything in it
    -OS Windows 7 I guess

I forgot to mention it should be from newegg in US dollars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    If your dad is only using it for work, and nothing heavy. I would just get a decent prebuilt. Just my opinion. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108953 this is kinda nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,252 Posts
    If your dad is only using it for work, and nothing heavy. I would just get a decent prebuilt. Just my opinion. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883108953 this is kinda nice.
    You can get a custom computer that's a lot better than that one and also cheaper, this is just something I came up with, keep in mind this is the first time I'm using newegg (or any american site for that matter).

Actually it would be better with an Intel compatible motherboard and an Intel i3 2100
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    I'd keep that AMD since it has better graphics than an intel. Plus hes only going to be doing invoices and work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

5. Post #5
    dailydose
    May 2009
    850 Posts

I'm sure it's even cheaper in dollaroo's from newegg and without ridiculous tax and your dad can play Battlefield 3 on medium if he wants.

Edited:

You can get a custom computer that's a lot better than that one and also cheaper, this is just something I came up with, keep in mind this is the first time I'm using newegg (or any american site for that matter).

Actually it would be better with an Intel compatible motherboard and an Intel i3 2100
    Micro ATX mobo in ATX case, why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2010
    84 Posts
    I'm liking this. Any other opinions are greatly welcome.

7. Post #7
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,333 Posts
    Fractal Design Core 1000 ~40
    3870k + Asus A55 Mobo ~160
    WD Caviar Blue 500gb ~70
    Antec 450w ~35
    G.Skill Value 4gb ~20
    Liteon Dvd Drive ~18
    Windows 7 ~100

Total: ~444

You can get a cheaper case and I'm sure you can find windows 7 on a different site for cheaper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,252 Posts

I'm sure it's even cheaper in dollaroo's from newegg and without ridiculous tax and your dad can play Battlefield 3 on medium if he wants.

Edited:

Micro ATX mobo in ATX case, why?
    It was cheaper than an ATX mobo

9. Post #9
    dailydose
    May 2009
    850 Posts
    It was cheaper than an ATX mobo
    The reason they are cheaper is because any sort of upgrades are gonna be an hassle with the dimensions and sort of more limited than their ATX versions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,333 Posts
    I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    dailydose
    May 2009
    850 Posts
    I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.
    You don't think micro ATX mobo's are cheaper because they are slightly inferior in features than their bigger brothers? Also nobody gives a rat-ass what you think. It's obvious you don't know anything technical related based on your previous posts in other threads, and basically copying my builds with small nonsensical tweaks and claiming as your "own".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

12. Post #12
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,333 Posts
    You don't think micro ATX mobo's are cheaper because they are slightly inferior in features than their bigger brothers? Also nobody gives a rat-ass what you think. It's obvious you don't know anything technical related based on your previous posts in other threads, and basically copying my builds with small nonsensical tweaks and claiming as your "own".
    Yes, some microatx motherboards are cheaper, but a lot aren't, in fact, a bunch are the same price. Perhaps the reason they make microatx, is to, you know, have a smaller computer. By your logic, mini-itx motherboards should be free and too much of a hassle to buy.

And by nonsensical tweaks, you mean saving money, weird. I have been doing this much longer than you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    dailydose
    May 2009
    850 Posts
    Yes, some microatx motherboards are cheaper, but a lot aren't, in fact, a bunch are the same price. Perhaps the reason they make microatx, is to, you know, have a smaller computer. By your logic, mini-itx motherboards should be free and too much of a hassle to buy.

And by nonsensical tweaks, you mean saving money, weird. I have been doing this much longer than you.
    By my logic they should be free? Are you on crack or something? I never implied anything like that, I merely stated most micro atx mobos are in comparison to their ATX counterparts more hardware inferior (example less memory slots).

Also you decreased the timings and speed of some memory in the same build with a AMD A8-3870K, APUs share system memory bandwidth between both the CPU and GPU functions. Faster RAM has benchmarked up to 20% more in comparison with slower sticks. I'd rather pay 10/15 bucks more for a 20% increase.

You have been doing something longer than me yet you do not know anything about me. Please fuck off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,333 Posts
    Yes, they do share ram, but those benchmarks are only a few games with a 20% increase. Either way, setting the ram to 1600 is done with the click of a button, and I've done it with that ram. And with my build, if he doesn't get windows, get can add a 6670 and do hybrid crossfire.

But I do see you point, however, you should consider using american sites and use the deals with them, because saving 60 bucks in these budget builds is big deal.

15. Post #15
    March 2010
    84 Posts
    Hey thanks for the input and arguing. Tell me what you think, it's $40 over budget but should be okay. Tell me if I'm dumb for the combo cause I really don't know.

16. Post #16
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,333 Posts
    Gonna want more than 2gb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    March 2010
    84 Posts
    It's x2

Edited:

Also this will all work without any GPU?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    It's x2

Edited:

Also this will all work without any GPU?
    The cpu has built in graphics. So instead of hooking up the monitors to a graphics card, you'd use the DVI/VGA port for onboard graphics on the motherboard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    dailydose
    May 2009
    850 Posts
    I would suggest getting some cheap g.skill or hyper X memory with faster speeds for a few bucks more to get more overal performance, otherwise it's pretty good(other than paying for windows 7 lol). Also don't install the free mcaffee and get Microsoft Essentials which you are automaticly elegible for because you have a legit windows 7. Power supply might bottleneck you in the future though when you want to upgrade some components.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    March 2010
    84 Posts
    Thanks for all the advice its all been ordered and on the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)