1. Post #41
    June 2010
    6,254 Posts
    Who says that they aren't updating their current source engine to Source 2? Doug Lombardi said once, that you can call the current version Source 1.5
    It just sounds very much like a sequel which suggests a gap like between Goldsource and Source to me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    June 2011
    2,942 Posts
    Maybe, but I will never get my hopes high because of these rumours.

I think that there will be many pissed and dissapointed people, when it's revealed that it's just a big upgrade to the current Source engine.

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,553 Posts
    Please have a new level editor! Please have a new level editor! Please have a new level editor!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic x 9Agree x 4Funny x 2Disagree x 1Late x 1Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,692 Posts
    I just want a new model viewer that isn't bugged as fuck. Imagine the ability to take screenshots in the model viewer and not have them fuck up terribly!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

5. Post #45
    June 2010
    6,254 Posts
    Maybe, but I will never get my hopes high because of these rumours.

I think that there will be many pissed and dissapointed people, when it's revealed that it's just a big upgrade to the current Source engine.
    I'm just speculating based on these rumors to form an opinion on their trustworthiness. ATM everything is so intransparent that I'll just wait for a statement from Valve.
    I am a tiny bit excited about a possible Hammer update tho, because I'd very much like to revise my Portal 2 maps without having to go through the current Hammer nightmare.

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,832 Posts
    I just want a new model viewer that isn't bugged as fuck. Imagine the ability to take screenshots in the model viewer and not have them fuck up terribly!
    i have no bloody idea why but since mid of this year hlmv will never launch for me as it crashes while loading up

7. Post #47
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,041 Posts
    Here lets take a look at Valve schedule

15.-19. August - Gamescom. They are going there.
    16 August - Gttv special episode for Valve. Full episode is about Valve. They also filmed something at Valve offices on 1st of August

I really want to be excited but I know that I will be disappointed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

8. Post #48
    February 2010
    1,185 Posts
    I don't see what's the big deal about this. Valve is obviously working on their engine and if you thought that the next HL installment would run on their current mediocre version of Source after all this hype, you didn't think about it much.

Seriously, this is nothing. Valve has been "leaking" leftovers into game files for quite some time now. We didn't get shit out of this except for a title.
    What a buzzkill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

9. Post #49
    April 2011
    107 Posts
    Can't wait to see Black Mesa: Source 2.
    Oh wait
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Hong Kong Show Events Funny Funny x 16Late Late x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,700 Posts
    10 bucks Source 2 releases before Black Mesa Source does.

Well fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Funny Funny x 31Disagree Disagree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,553 Posts
    10 bucks Source 2 releases before Black Mesa Source does.
    I bet $10,000. And when it does get released before BM:S, i want them to stop making the mod and wasting everyone's time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 9Disagree x 4Dumb x 3Friendly x 1Zing x 1Late x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,276 Posts
    There were posts in the SFM thread about stuff we found in the SFM files such as new hammer icons and code

Exhibit A:
    Exhibit B:

Paint tool is probably the effect color thing that was in L4D and Alien Swarm. Lets you color models similar to TF2 hats.

You can see what I mean by spawning certain ASW props in Garry's Mod and using the color tool on them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    155 Posts
    Or they delay it again and port it all to source 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #54
    March 2010
    2,435 Posts
    My problem with full dynamic real-time lighting is that everybody gets all lacksadaisy about it, but then it turns out that it looks worse than baked lighting. Such a lighting system usually entails a real-time occlusion system also (which would be fantastic) and it's much better for level designers also, as you can just plop stuff into the game instantly.

I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel and create a completely new level editor (but from the looks of it they will), as Hammer is an extremely powerful tool, but at the end of the day it's probably better for all of us. I must be one of the few who doesn't want a new level editor, at least not entirely, because I'm very good at using Hammer.

PS. Hammer does actually have a lighting preview feature, it's just not very good as it doesn't compute skybox light.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    611 Posts
    I honestly doubt Source 2 is coming out this year
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

16. Post #56
    I honestly wouldn't care if they added some gimmick feature to make games look sort of newer as long as they give us an entire new SDK
    I refuse to believe Valve still uses the Hammer we use. It is a powerful tool and great stuff can come from it but it's incredibly not user friendly and overall dated looking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    155 Posts
    Hammer is a pain in the ass to use if you are going to make terrain or use displacements. I really hope they update that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    3,356 Posts
    My problem with full dynamic real-time lighting is that everybody gets all lacksadaisy about it, but then it turns out that it looks worse than baked lighting. Such a lighting system usually entails a real-time occlusion system also (which would be fantastic) and it's much better for level designers also, as you can just plop stuff into the game instantly.

I don't think they need to reinvent the wheel and create a completely new level editor (but from the looks of it they will), as Hammer is an extremely powerful tool, but at the end of the day it's probably better for all of us. I must be one of the few who doesn't want a new level editor, at least not entirely, because I'm very good at using Hammer.

PS. Hammer does actually have a lighting preview feature, it's just not very good as it doesn't compute skybox light.
    A "scripting" system similar to Cryengine's Flownodes would be brilliant instead of the tedious entity work.
    I agree though, Hammer is one of the most enjoyable editors to work with, mainly because of the brushwork.
    Doesnt limit you to using models which is especially good when you cant model for shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

19. Post #59
    May 2009
    429 Posts
    If Hammer were to change, I just hope they add and fix things. I don't think there's anything I would remove.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    What about Carve?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

21. Post #61
    June 2008
    4,659 Posts
    What about Carve?
    Yes this crucial feature must return.

Carve is superior compared to displacements!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

22. Post #62

July 2010
    2,053 Posts
    What about Carve?
    Oh god, THE HORROR
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #63
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,450 Posts
    Paint tool is probably the effect color thing that was in L4D and Alien Swarm. Lets you color models similar to TF2 hats.

You can see what I mean by spawning certain ASW props in Garry's Mod and using the color tool on them.
    Paint with textures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #64
    May 2009
    429 Posts
    What about Carve?
    Touche.

Although I don't see why they should remove it. It's not like you'll benefit from not having it there. Virtually useless as it is anyway... lol
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    155 Posts
    Maybe they can make carve so that all your geometry doesn't get messed up. It would be somewhat useful then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 6Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,384 Posts
    Can't wait for Black Mesa: Source 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Late Late x 15Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,809 Posts
    oh great more things to crash garrys mod with
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #68

June 2012
    100 Posts
    Source 2 = Half Life Source 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    June 2010
    6,254 Posts
    Interesting speculation from RPS:

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:
    ...there’s a good chance that the big story about Source 2 might include a shift to OpenGL rather than DirectX, making Linux, in Valve’s eyes at least, the “next-gen” of PC gaming.

With the current version of Source considered, by Valve, to be a distinct entity from the first release in many ways, for any possible “next-gen” Source 2 to be a graphical update, no matter how significant, might be seen as a deviation from the company’s previous philosophy concerning their engine. A change of focus to OpenGL and Linux seems like a much more fundamental generational change than new technology, which Valve has been providing for years without feeling the need to stick a number on the end of their engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,471 Posts
    Grep is fun!

build_vproj.py
    00037: DEPLOYMENT_PATH = filesystem.tools( 'Source 2' ) / 'bin'

constants.py
    00024: SOURCE2 = 'Source 2'
    00029: SOURCE2_FAMILY = ( SOURCE2, HYBRID )
    00031: SOURCE2,
    00078: ENGINE.SOURCE2 : ('<platform>', False, True )
    00084: ENGINE.SOURCE2 : ( '%VGAME%\\..\\src\\devtools\\devstudio macros\\valve_autoexp_2k10.dat', True, True )
    00089: ENGINE.SOURCE2 : ( '<tools>\\maya\\bootstrap', True, True )
    00095: ENGINE.SOURCE2: [ 'PYTHONHOME' ],
    00126: ENGINE_SOURCE2 = [ r'%VTOOLS%\python\{0}\%VPLATFORM%'.format( PY_VERSION ),
    00149: ENGINE_HYBRID = ENGINE_SOURCE2
    00153: ENGINE.SOURCE2 : ENGINE_SOURCE2,
    00160: ENGINE.SOURCE2 : [ r'%VTOOLS%\python' ],

fileAssociations.py
    00034: def makePyPath( arch='win64', version='2.6', engine='Source 2' ):
    00044: # Example: C:\Dev\source2\main\game\sdktools\python\2.6\win32

settings.py
    00171: evar = EnvarSetting( 'vmod', 'source2', False, ENGINE.SOURCE2 )

test_uuid.py
    00014: source2node = {}
    00288: TestUUID.source2node[source] = node
    00292: for s, n in TestUUID.source2node.iteritems():

ui_addprojectdlg.py
    00088: "<p style=\" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;\"><span style=\" font-size:8pt;\">( i.e &quot;source2/game/source2/gameinfo.gi&quot;)</span></p></body></html>", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    valve.py
    00049: somePropPath = content() / 'ep3/models/characters/alyx/maya/alyx_model.ma'
    00076: def tools( engine='Source 2' ):
    vproj.py
    01057: if ( engine in ( ENGINE.SOURCE2, ENGINE.HYBRID, ENGINE.SFM ) ):
    01385: If key doesn't doesn't exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'.
    01390: return ENGINE.SOURCE2
    01394: # HACK: check vproject for 'source2' or 'hybrid' and guess the engine.
    01396: if 'source2' in projDir:
    01397: return ENGINE.SOURCE2
    01406: Set the engine version for the project, i.e. 'Source 2'
    01481: if ( engine == ENGINE.SOURCE2 ):
    01505: if engine in ENGINE.SOURCE2_FAMILY:

vprojUI.py
    00526: if ( engine == ENGINE.SOURCE2 ):
    01193: self.engineComboBox.setCurrentIndex( self.engineComboBox.findText( ENGINE.SOURCE2 ) )

ui_editconfigdlg.py
    00212: "<p style=\" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;\"><span style=\" font-size:8pt;\">The </span><span style=\" font-size:8pt; font-weight:600;\">Game base directory</span><span style=\" font-size:8pt;\"> will be the directory that contains the game .exe (ie. source2.exe), and will most likely have sub-directories like &quot;platform&quot; and &quot;bin&quot;.</span></p>\n"
    00259: "<p style=\" margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; -qt-block-indent:0; text-indent:0px;\">Set the engine version for the project. For example, <span style=\" font-weight:600;\">Source</span> and <span style=\" font-weight:600;\">Source 2</span> use different sets of environment variables.</p></body></html>", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    00262: self.engineComboBox.setItemText(2, QtGui.QApplication.translate("EditSingleConfigDlg" , "Source 2", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 4Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,041 Posts
    Set the engine version for the project. For example, Source and Source 2 use different sets of environment variables.
    yay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    May 2011
    345 Posts

Please... new tools
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    823 Posts
    Grep is fun!
    00049: somePropPath = content() / 'ep3/models/characters/alyx/maya/alyx_model.ma'
    00076: def tools( engine='Source 2' ):

ep3
    holy shit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 9Funny Funny x 4 (list)

34. Post #74
    September 2009
    5,112 Posts
    We've been getting hints that EP3/HL3 is in development for a good while now, what's the big deal about this time?

Am I just losing interest? :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

35. Post #75

August 2010
    33 Posts
    Anyone got the feeling that they are dropping brush support and instead using meshes? (I don't really know, just an idea, don't hammer me please)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Zing Zing x 6Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    155 Posts
    We've been getting hints that EP3/HL3 is in development for a good while now, what's the big deal about this time?

Am I just losing interest? :/
    Because it's the first hint at a new engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Anyone got the feeling that they are dropping brush support and instead using meshes? (I don't really know, just an idea, don't hammer me please)
    BSP geometry is nice for people that can't model (and for people that can as well), but I really hope they get a better pipeline to get models into the game. Oh and be able to rescale models in the editor.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,982 Posts
    Source 2 + a new Valve game are going to be announced at Pax Prime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,041 Posts
    Source 2 + a new Valve game are going to be announced at Pax Prime
    they are busy with the international there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

40. Post #80
    April 2011
    404 Posts
    I want to believe
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)