1. Post #81
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,369 Posts
    Because it's the first hint at a new engine.
    No, we've known about it for quite some time now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    SteamDB
    November 2007
    10,893 Posts
    More like the 10th/20th hint.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

3. Post #83
    Wooooow, Valve is working on a new engine, who would have thought that would happen?
    After so much time and no proper official mentioning of progress on EP3/HL3 I've lost most of my interest in the Half-Life series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #84

August 2010
    33 Posts
    BSP geometry is nice for people that can't model (and for people that can as well), but I really hope they get a better pipeline to get models into the game. Oh and be able to rescale models in the editor.
    something like drag & drop any model file/format in editor
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    July 2012
    26 Posts
    After so much time and no proper official mentioning of progress on EP3/HL3 I've lost most of my interest in the Half-Life series.
    Hmm, I think it's okay that they're not making an official announcement if they're unable to come up with an excellent way to pull off the next game. Best that it doesn't become another Duke Nukem Forever (taking forever to make, then ending up being not very good)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #86
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    155 Posts
    More like the 10th/20th hint.
    I'm sorry, it's actually the first hint i see that isn't wild speculation. I could have missed some. If you would be so kind to show me them?

Wooooow, Valve is working on a new engine, who would have thought that would happen?
    Not that much people actually, we've hoped they would but Valve is constantly bragging about how dynamic and modular their engine is that they just replace parts and put better in it and stuff. That it lasted like 8 years already and seeing portal 2 and CSGO are still amazing. Considering Biohazard got his deferred renderer up and running in ASW branch and the Cascading Shadow mapping was hidden in ASW as well. Source isn't as dated as people like to think, just because it doesn't look like crysis. And i don't think Source 2 will do to.

To be honest i did think they would come with some new engine for the next gen consoles. but for all we know the consoles are still 2 years away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

7. Post #87
    I gotta say Portal 2 was one of the prettiest games of the year in my opinion as a consumer without that much knowledge in the technical side of dynamic lights/specular/BSPs and shit like that.
    It looked great and ran fast on my oldish computer, and I wouldn't ask for anything more. Hell, I don't like the direction engines are taking overdoing bloom and sperging about their tesselation and various other buzzwords.
    Crysis was a mess, everything that wasn't a tree didn't look good and everything went blurry and bloomy every fucking time you moved and the computers at the time of it's release couldn't even handle it.

I'm just saying the art geniuses at Valve and the fact Source is as modifiable and modular as game engines go still keeps it pretty and functional when facing newer engines and games and using new bits of tech, both hardware and software.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts
    What to call it? We've had Goldsource and we've had Source. I am either hoping for the sauce engine or Purplesource.

anyways i hope for huge solar system sized maps,procedural generation for whatever a developer wishes, maybe physics based mellee combat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    June 2011
    111 Posts
    My body is ready
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

10. Post #90
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,020 Posts
    I'm sorry, it's actually the first hint i see that isn't wild speculation. I could have missed some. If you would be so kind to show me them?

Not that much people actually, we've hoped they would but Valve is constantly bragging about how dynamic and modular their engine is that they just replace parts and put better in it and stuff. That it lasted like 8 years already and seeing portal 2 and CSGO are still amazing. Considering Biohazard got his deferred renderer up and running in ASW branch and the Cascading Shadow mapping was hidden in ASW as well. Source isn't as dated as people like to think, just because it doesn't look like crysis. And i don't think Source 2 will do to.
    alien swarm files had stuff about source 2
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #91
    June 2010
    6,179 Posts
    I gotta say Portal 2 was one of the prettiest games of the year in my opinion as a consumer without that much knowledge in the technical side of dynamic lights/specular/BSPs and shit like that. It looked great and ran fast on my oldish computer, and I wouldn't ask for anything more. Hell, I don't like the direction engines are taking overdoing bloom and sperging about their tesselation and various other buzzwords. Crysis was a mess, everything that wasn't a tree didn't look good and everything went blurry and bloomy every fucking time you moved and the computers at the time of it's release couldn't even handle it.
    Let's not forget lens flares and dirt on the camera. Those, along with motion blur and head bobbing annoy me the most. Bloom even looks fine in selective HDR doses imo.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

12. Post #92
    Let's not forget lens flares and dirt on the camera. Those, along with motion blur and head bobbing annoy me the most. Bloom even looks fine in selective HDR doses imo.
    "Let's add seven-part lens flares even though our main character isn't wearing anything over his eyes, especially not a seven-part lens!"
    I'd say what annoys me is that they don't do it right. I've seen dirt and blood and water on the screens being done right in some games, bloom and HDR even, but that's by far the exception. Same with control related stuff like fucking mouse smoothing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

13. Post #93
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,369 Posts
    Wild speculation? We saw lines of code long ago, is that wild speculation?

14. Post #94

December 2010
    95 Posts
    I just reckon that hybrid is basically the Source engine but with features added from the Source 2 engine, maybe they have 3 different builds. Source being the one that was last shipped with EP2, Source 2 which is being developed for EP3, and hybrid being the one that adds the new modules from Source 2 (i.e the new texture system with Portal 2, or the cloth physics with DOTA 2) and places them into the standard Source engine, effectively becoming "Source 1.5" which is apparently what Valve call the L4D engine.

On the other hand if these features can be added to the current Source engine, why the need for a whole new Engine? Maybe Source currently can't take full advantage of the new modules or Source 2 has the ability for massive maps and hopefully DMM damage physics.

Or just maybe Gabe is just fucking with us, giving us more hype...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

15. Post #95
    Fairly Gay
    March 2008
    724 Posts
    About fucking time
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Siminov's Bitch
    April 2011
    1,423 Posts
    Well I can't wait to see what they produce

17. Post #97
    February 2011
    565 Posts
    I dont know , this stuff dosent fit Valve's Modular engine desing approach
    maybe its just a big update to the engine while keeping the core of the engine same
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

18. Post #98
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,827 Posts

I just saw this in SourceFilmmaker\game\platform\tools\images

What
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 70Funny Funny x 23Late Late x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    February 2011
    565 Posts
    Guys at valve make the best placeholders
    just look at early dota 2 one's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    3,103 Posts
    Guys at valve make the best placeholders
    just look at early dota 2 one's

Edited:

also this one

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 57Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    January 2010
    994 Posts
    When I was at Valve last week we were able to ask one of the programmers questions. I asked whether there was an update or replacement for Hammer coming at some point, and he replied with "Yes...we are definitely working on our next gen engine-err, next gen tech." (He did stumble and say engine, though I don't think it was an attempt to cover it up, more to clarify). Combined with the images I found in the Hammer directory in the steam platform files, I think it's highly likely that Source 2 will feature a new (probably completely overhauled and maybe even ingame) hammer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,664 Posts

wtf guys, is this legit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 15Disagree x 11Informative x 3Artistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,810 Posts
    hammer world editor (bsp fallback)
    i somehow doubt valve would ever move on from bsp enough to have a legacy version that runs bsp
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,542 Posts

wtf guys, is this legit?
    Where did you find this, exactly?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

25. Post #105
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,664 Posts
    friend sent it to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,454 Posts

wtf guys, is this legit?
    "Kotaku has heard from multiple sources close to the project that the code-name for Microsoft's next console is Durango."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 5Informative Informative x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #107
    April 2008
    716 Posts
    That might not be a fake. I mean it even has some things I've never heard about, not something you could guess.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #108
    June 2011
    628 Posts
    It could be from those people who had the Valve SFM Build, the same one where they got the TOBOR heads and such from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,454 Posts
    It could be from those people who had the Valve SFM Build, the same one where they got the TOBOR heads and such from.
    Was that from the SFM first leak, the one where you had to lunch it from TF2 Beta?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #110
    November 2008
    1,112 Posts
    It's from the other Source 2 thread, in Sensationalist Headlines, if you mooks couldn't figure it out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #111
    gay as h*ck
    January 2012
    2,020 Posts
    im in sfm dev beta and there aren't robots :|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

32. Post #112
    August 2010
    147 Posts
    Somebody already making fake images
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Late Late x 18Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #113

June 2012
    602 Posts
    I wonder if garry would work on gmod for this new engine. I know there is going to be a lot of people that want a gmod on a new engine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

34. Post #114
    June 2011
    628 Posts
    im in sfm dev beta and there aren't robots :|
    Really? If I can dig through and find it, a few people had ALL the meet the team maps, models, etc., and possibly even more. They had leaked the images of the robot heads and some meet the team props but stopped after the TF2 team sent them a email.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

35. Post #115
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    1,454 Posts
    Really? If I can dig through and find it, a few people had ALL the meet the team maps, models, etc., and possibly even more. They had leaked the images of the robot heads and some meet the team props but stopped after the TF2 team sent them a email.
    Anyone know where I might find this build, on usenet or torrents?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    August 2010
    147 Posts
    Somebody already making fake images

Late x 5
    Dammit! I'm never in time :'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #117
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,992 Posts

What
    Why is this a thing. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty much the Final Boss of the internet, but why do they have NEDM looking over Cthulhu's shoulder as he eats icecream, whilst KITT drives away from a huge White Fire Tiger?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #118
    1.21 GIGAWATTS!
    May 2010
    6,542 Posts
    Why is this a thing. Don't get me wrong, it is pretty much the Final Boss of the internet, but why do they have NEDM looking over Cthulhu's shoulder as he eats icecream, whilst KITT drives away from a huge White Fire Tiger?
    It was the only thing Valve deemed suitable to convey the raw power of Source.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

39. Post #119
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,724 Posts

What
    They should keep it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 31Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts

What
    What's the name of the image file?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)