1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,061 Posts
    If you were one of those business users counting on being able to circument the new tiled Windows 8 start menu, you may be disappointed.

The final release-to-manufacturing (RTM) builds of Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 have been leaking to the Web for last few days. Those with access to the final builds are discovering the final tweaks Microsoft made to the product since the last public test build, Windows 8 Release Preview, was delivered.

One of those tweaks is the decision to block users from setting up their Windows 8 machines to boot straight to the Desktop, circumventing the tiled Start screen, formerly known as the Metro screen. (There's still no external word as to how Microsoft is planning to rebrand "Metro." It seems the Softies are backing away from the Metro terminology due to pressure of some kind from Metro AG, one of its European retail partners.)

Rafael Rivera, coauthor of the forthcoming Windows 8 Secrets, said he has verified that users cannot boot straight to the Desktop in Windows 8. With Windows 8 test builds, users could create shortcut that switches to the Windows 8 Desktop. Those who didn't want to boot to the tiled Start screen could schedule this shortcut to be activated immediately after a user logged onto Windows 8.

Some other users were holding out hope that Microsoft would allow administrators to use Group Policy to allow users to circumvent the Metro startup screen. But Rivera told me he believes this also is blocked.

It's worth noting there are a number of keyboard shortcuts in Windows 8 designed to help users who want to minimize their interactions with the tiled interface to boot into and out of the Desktop more quickly and easily. (See the Windows + D, Windows + B and Windows + M ones, particularly.)

(I've asked Microsoft to comment as to whether this is the case. No word back so far.)

While many like the tiled Metro start screen and are looking forward to using it on touch tablets and PCs, many others aren't keen on it -- especially business users who are convinced that Metro will be a nuisance, especially on non-touch-enabled hardware, especially given they plan to live primaril in the Desktop app on Windows 8.

Speaking of what business users like and don't about Windows 8, sister site TechRepublic has posted results of its survey of 3,000-plus IT pros about Windows 8. They've published an interesting list of the top Windows 8 pros and cons, based on results of those they surveyed. Not too surprisingly, the amount of required training -- in spite of the inclusion into the startup sequence of animations demonstrating some of the new Windows navigation techniques.

For those still lamenting Microsoft's decision to do away with the Start button on Windows 8, there's always Stardock's Start8. One of my readers, David Nation, says Start8 still works on the Windows 8 RTM build.

And before a bunch of my readers complain that folks wanting to boot to Desktop or keep the Start Button are a bunch of whiners, I'd point out -- as noted in the TechRepublic IT pro survey mentioned above -- that many business users are fearful of the time and money they are going to need to spend to retrain Windows users with Windows 8. That's a legitimate concern, in my opinion.
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-said-...-8-7000002219/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb x 147Funny x 13Informative x 3Late x 2Disagree x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    10,973 Posts
    Last time I checked, a tablet interface doesn't work well with a desktop one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 133Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,145 Posts
    no

dont do it microsoft

dont do it!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 101Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member

November 2007
    8,432 Posts
    Last time I checked, a tablet interface doesn't work well with a desktop one.
    Last time I checked, everyone that's used Windows 8 said the new screen is perfectly usable on a desktop environment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 52Disagree x 16Agree x 10Dumb x 6Zing x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    it's like they don't want people to buy 8
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 146 (list)

6. Post #6
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    10,973 Posts
    it's like they don't want people to buy 8
    But the $40 upgrade! It's sssoooo tempting!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 69Agree Agree x 9Funny Funny x 7Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,354 Posts
    It may be usable but it's clearly, undeniably designed for tablets with desktops as an afterthought
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 107 (list)

8. Post #8
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,092 Posts
    If I can boot to Windows 3.1's Program Manager in Windows 7, I'm sure I can damn well do the same with 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Funny x 57Winner x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2008
    18,145 Posts
    It's usable

so is eating soup with a spork
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 108Agree x 7Zing x 3Winner x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    10,973 Posts
    If I can boot to Windows 3.1's Program Manager in Windows 7, I'm sure I can damn well do the same with 8.
    Try it. You're our only hope whether we buy it or not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    14,427 Posts
    here comes the shitstorm...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Late Late x 6 (list)

12. Post #12
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    7,751 Posts
    I'm sticking with 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 172Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    At this rate, Google could do a half assed job at porting Android to desktops and STILL make a huge dent in Microsoft's profit.

pics plz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    14,886 Posts
    Right fuck it, I'll skip 8 unless this can be disabled. Not going to go with this tablet/LIVE/everythingconnected crap when I have to pay money too. I'd sooner switch to Linux as main system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 64Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2012
    1,751 Posts
    May upgrade to 8 from Vista on my laptop just because I'm so tired of how resource intensive it is. Plus, $40 for that upgrade is much cheaper than upgrading to 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,738 Posts
    here comes the shitstorm...
    Usually started by people who have had no prior experience with Windows 8 or spent less than 12 hours actually using it before dismissing it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 15Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    June 2008
    4,617 Posts
    A minor setback, pretty sure someone will release a "fix".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 13Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Usually started by people who have had no prior experience with Windows 8 or spent less than 12 hours actually using it before dismissing it
    GG at ignoring those whose workflow have been pretty much the same as back in the windows 95 era and up, and as such have fine-honed it over time for maximum efficiency.

AND then windows 8 came along and fucked everything up throughly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,092 Posts
    At this rate, Google could do a half assed job at porting Android to desktops and STILL make a huge dent in Microsoft's profit.

pics plz.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner x 88Funny x 10Artistic x 1Late x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    I pleasure myself while wearing Combine armour~~
    May 2010
    7,751 Posts
    I used Windows 8 for a week, I still didn't get used to the Metro system at all. Became Hell on my computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,680 Posts
    I don't know anyone who is planning on upgrading to Windows 8 anyways. Microsoft is following the usual shit - solid - shit - solid release pattern, where PC enthusiasts leapfrog releases. Windows 7 is good enough to hold on to until whatever comes after Windows 8.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 31Dumb Dumb x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    December 2008
    18,145 Posts
    agree

i dont care how cheap they make w8 to upgrade to

the benefits aren't worth dealing with metro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    August 2008
    242 Posts
    I might buy it for my laptop. No way for my gaming PC (yet).
    If it improves perf on my shit i3 laptop, I'm all in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    Why is this news now? It's been like this since the Developer Preview almost one year ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    I pushed my dad off the stairs and all I got was he came back
    October 2009
    4,767 Posts
    News: Windows 8 nearly bankrupts Microsoft, the people are ENRAGED.
    Calling it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 30Optimistic Optimistic x 8Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,061 Posts
    I don't know anyone who is planning on upgrading to Windows 8 anyways. Microsoft is following the usual shit - solid - shit - solid release pattern, where PC enthusiasts leapfrog releases. Windows 7 is good enough to hold on to until whatever comes after Windows 8.
    Vista was alright.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree x 48Disagree x 47Dumb x 2Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    10,973 Posts
    Why is this news now? It's been like this since the Developer Preview almost one year ago.
    Because if something's in the RTM, if you don't like it, you're fucked until some modder comes along.

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,061 Posts
    One of those tweaks is the decision to block users from setting up their Windows 8 machines to boot straight to the Desktop, circumventing the tiled Start screen, formerly known as the Metro screen.
    That's the new part.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,738 Posts
    GG at ignoring those whose workflow have been pretty much the same as back in the windows 95 era and up, and as such have fine-honed it over time for maximum efficiency.

AND then windows 8 came along and fucked everything up throughly.
    Have you used Metro?

The only thing that's different is how you launch programs. Metro is just a fullscreen start menu. Define this magical "workflow" that seems to be broken by a fullscreen start menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 16Agree Agree x 5 (list)

30. Post #30
    ITT: Everyone that hasn't used Windows 8 bashing it

(User was banned for this post ("Meme Reply" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 28Agree x 17Dumb x 4Optimistic x 1Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    17,986 Posts
    Vista was alright.
    Yeah, but XP was amazing, and 7 was amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,775 Posts
    That's the new part.
    Yeah, that was in the DP. There wasn't an option to do so in it, the Beta or the RC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    December 2008
    18,145 Posts
    Have you used Metro?

The only thing that's different is how you launch programs. Metro is just a fullscreen start menu. Define this magical "workflow" that seems to be broken by a fullscreen start menu.
    before:"hit start,click all programs and choose the office folder, open excel"
    after"move your mouse to the nonexistant start button, wait for the fullscreen menu to load, and type in excel"

(might i remind you that business computers are old and slow)

after takes too long
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,061 Posts
    I have. To be honest I found it no different apart from metro but I'm sure it is in more complex ways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    3,086 Posts
    I've used metro/windows 8, explored the options/stuff you can do on it, etc

And I hated it.

Sticking with 7 on this one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14Zing Zing x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,738 Posts
    before:"hit start,click all programs and choose the office folder, open excel"
    after"move your mouse to the nonexistant start button, wait for the fullscreen menu to load, and type in excel"

(might i remind you that business computers are old and slow)

after takes too long
    You haven't set up metro correctly if you're searching for frequently used programs.

Alternately you can just hit windows key and begin searching.

It's not rocket science.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    15,061 Posts
    Yeah, that was in the DP. There wasn't an option to do so in it, the Beta or the RC.
    If it was do you think multiple sources would be reporting it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I'm a Wizard
    March 2006
    2,680 Posts
    Well, I had been using the developer preview since February up until this month. That's more than enough time for me to form an opinion about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

39. Post #39
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,799 Posts
    "Microsoft removes ability to gain profit from OS sales"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 50Agree x 5Zing x 2Dumb x 1Winner x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,354 Posts
    Things like this always seem to have an initial bandwagon of blind hatred. Then after a little while there emerges a bandwagon of blind defence who calls the other bandwagoners out for bandwagoning, and then the two bandwagons they just argue perpetually
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 27Agree Agree x 13 (list)