1. Post #121
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    Yeah I actually learned about that quite recently
    they bled green too, and scientists sat down and shook their heads instead of dying
    like literally this one video I watched this scientist was being shot at by a turret and he just sat down and shook his head while the turret kept shooting at him

2. Post #122
    June 2011
    2,900 Posts
    Nothing was cancelled as a result of "community backlash". Our plans have changed recently, but those changes had nothing to do with people complaining about Facebook or Twitter, or us releasing screenshots instead of the game. We're not reading too much into any negativity that may have been generated, and we're not giving up because someone on the internet said something mean about us. I think there's just been a miscommunication somewhere at some point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    July 2007
    1,016 Posts
    Yeah I actually learned about that quite recently
    they bled green too, and scientists sat down and shook their heads instead of dying
    like literally this one video I watched this scientist was being shot at by a turret and he just sat down and shook his head while the turret kept shooting at him
    As a kid I was confused why the military had such advanced robots and why there were referred to as 'soldiers'. Also thought NPCs were invincible since they just did that shaking of their heads thing.
    Only years later did I find out I was playing the heavily censored version

Though I think it was much worse in Team Fortress 2. Black blood, toys instead of gibs, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #124
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,560 Posts
    Those marines don't sound like military guys

They sound like newlyweds sweet-talking each other on their pillows during their honeymoon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

5. Post #125
    Jherkin Gherkin
    Dennab
    October 2010
    12,198 Posts
    eliminate freeman

Edited:

Those marines don't sound like military guys

They sound like newlyweds sweet-talking each other on their pillows during their honeymoon
    military guys = radio voices you can't understand, right
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    I don't care what anyone says, I LOVED the distorted voices
    It meant these motherfuckers meant business
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

7. Post #127
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,560 Posts
    I don't care what anyone says, I LOVED the distorted voices
    It meant these motherfuckers meant business
    It's not about hearing all military voices through distorted radios, it's about the facts they don't even sound gritty or rough or anything like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    June 2011
    2,900 Posts
    Raminator clears things up:

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/sh...&postcount=164

Raminator posted:
    There have been too many posts for me to reply to individually, but I'll go over the basic points I've seen crop up a bunch of times. I'll try to address everything as transparently as I can, because there's a lot of misinformation floating around.

Is this a leak? Was it released intentionally?

We had always been planning to release gameplay video(s) as part of the social media campaign, and we'd always hinted as such. Unfortunately, we ran into some difficulties while we were wrapping up the build (including several severe FPS drops and crashes) that delayed our plans for the media campaign and any gameplay videos. Once we got those sorted, we started to try to figure out what we could show off; the video that was posted to YouTube was a rough first cut outlining some possible action.
    Someone showed someone else something they shouldn't have, and that someone else decided to share that something with the internet. And here we are today. Bottom line is that sooner or later, you were going to see what you saw; that's why we haven't tried to cover everything up or get it taken down. There's no conspiracy, we don't have any ulterior motives.

How old is the build of the game?

The build featured in the video is between four and five weeks old. The art assets, level design, lighting, sound effects and music, voice acting, weapons, gameplay mechanics, etc. are all basically final. You won't be seeing very many changes between what's in the video and what's in the final product.

Is the music actually in-game?

The music in the second half in the video is the actual song from the level, it hasn't been overlaid afterwards. It syncs up well with the action because it's been designed to; the song was specifically written for this area. The audio quality of the YouTube video doesn't do it justice though, and it sounds like the game's music volume was turned up too high while the video was recorded.

Why are there iron-sights in the game?

You can look down the sights of the .357 for a slight zoom and increase in accuracy at the expense of your rate of fire. It was a mechanic that was present in Half-Life: Deathmatch, but we've brought it into the singleplayer to help solidify the weapon's role. We've added an option to the main menu to completely disable that functionality, as a result of the feedback we've received from the video.

The .357 and crossbow are the only weapons that you can use the sights on, and they're for decent gameplay reasons. We aren't casualising or consolifying the mod; you don't have regenerating health, there aren't chest-high walls, you won't get strawberry jam on the screen when you're hurt, etc.

Why does everything look like crap?

The compression YouTube applies has blurred and darkened everything, even at 720p settings. You lose a lot of stuff like the scanlines on the HUD, the stars twinkling in the sky, the moonlight illuminating the launch pad and the hologram illuminating the control bunker, any real texture detail, outdoor characters, etc. I've got the original video at 1080p, and everything looks fine.

Why is the voice acting so bad?

Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.

Will this affect the plans for further media or the release?

It has, we're actually going to be moving some things forward. Time has never been on our side.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Winner Winner x 9Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #129
    June 2012
    1,563 Posts
    It's not about hearing all military voices through distorted radios, it's about the facts they don't even sound gritty or rough or anything like that
    yeah you're right

10. Post #130
    May 2011
    2,432 Posts
    Raminator clears things up:

Everything is intentional; the soldiers are meant to sound like over-the-top movie bad guys. We're not interested in trying to get you to empathise with the enemies.
    They don't though. They just sound awful. Hoping I can replace the voice acting with the default Half-life's voices.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

11. Post #131
    April 2011
    2,607 Posts
    One could probably lower the pitch and add a radio filter to the soldiers' voices to change it to something more HL1-esque while still keeping things fresh.

12. Post #132
    FLUTTERSHY <3 (also hats suck)
    May 2008
    1,704 Posts
    Really? Reminds me of Deus EX.
    I really love the Tracker style stuff that Brandon and Hajba made, but this music is a little more Unreal/Unreal Tournament style than Deus Ex.

13. Post #133
    like..dude..nevermind....fuck
    July 2011
    4,615 Posts
    as long as the end credits song is still the same im happy
    just after being through everything you have been through and hearing that song start playing was fucking awesome

14. Post #134
    April 2005
    15 Posts
    I really want to play this mod badly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #135
    Raminator posted:

I don't know, that just sounds like an excuse for bad voice acting. If they think they sound like "over-the-top movie bad guys" then they should make them wear clown clothing since, you know, that'd be over-the-top, right?
    No, it's not over-the-top at all, it just sounds bad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    Remember guys. There's always at least one person who replaces every sound in any videogame.

17. Post #137
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,027 Posts
    I prefer my soldiers to sound and act human.

Needless to say, they missed it by a mile and then some.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    July 2010
    1,125 Posts
    i need new pants

19. Post #139
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    2,277 Posts
    "Iron sights?! How dare there be a new feature to the game!"

I don't know why you're complaining about that.
    If you don't like iron sights, don't use them in-game? vv
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,808 Posts
    "Iron sights?! How dare there be a new feature to the game!"

I don't know why you're complaining about that.
    If you don't like iron sights, don't use them in-game? vv
    Its really not a new feature per-say, the 357 had a zoom in Multiplayer. Plus because of a feedback they added an option to disable it.

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    349 Posts
    Video is gone :(

22. Post #142
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    that's why we haven't tried to cover everything up or get it taken down

yeah okay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    I'm going to make a guess and say it's because they will upload it themselves, in proper quality.

Edited:

bring forth the rainbows
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    15,903 Posts
    I'm surprised nobody realized they can just take the sound files for the grunts and just replace them with the original

I think half-life had fragmented grunt dialogue lines anyway, kind of like VOX, so with some dedication bet you could string together the lines they added

25. Post #145
    I don't know, that just sounds like an excuse for bad voice acting. If they think they sound like "over-the-top movie bad guys" then they should make them wear clown clothing since, you know, that'd be over-the-top, right?
    No, it's not over-the-top at all, it just sounds bad.
    hahaha no it's okay guys, they're meant to sound like complete shit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,815 Posts

...Sssorry, what? Half-Life's grunt voices were over the top bad guys. The voice acting I heard in the video sounded like a fucking couple talking over burgers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #147
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,352 Posts
    "nah it's supposed to be bad"
    A+ development strategy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    18,313 Posts
    Any alternative link?

29. Post #149
    Dennab
    October 2010
    4,306 Posts
    I'm fine with the new soundtrack, but if the Valve theme doesn't play at this scene, then I don't know what this mod is.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)