1. Post #41
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    17,893 Posts
    Iron sights?

What?
    The HL1 magnum could zoom, so its most likely replacing the zoom.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Late Late x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    Glod Menber
    June 2008
    6,690 Posts
    I hope the voices were placeholders, I loved the grunt's over the radio voices :(.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,128 Posts
    Could very well be placeholder voice acting. It's common practice in the game industry. Don't think they'd overlook corny voice acting seeing as how polished the rest of the game is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2 (list)

4. Post #44
    May 2010
    17,893 Posts
    I hope the voices were placeholders, I loved the grunt's over the radio voices :(.
    Two guys next to eachother.

Radios.

Best shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 30Funny Funny x 3 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,528 Posts
    I totally forgot this game excisted years ago

6. Post #46
    Ah yes "opinions"
    October 2005
    16,866 Posts
    The voices are pretty shit, but they were shit in hl1 too. I prefer them heavily distorted like they were in hl1 but eh.

looks okay. Most gamplay we've seen in like 4 years so..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

7. Post #47
    July 2009
    2,026 Posts
    I remember them releasing an article about how they thought they had messed up a large portion of the game because they were rushing it to fit their release time, and ended up scrapping a large part of it to go back and redo everything that they didn't like. I assume this was during their rush to release stage.

I really want that soundtrack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Willing to off arm for a robot arm
    September 2011
    1,245 Posts
    The iron sights are replacing the revolver zoom and the song wasnt from the OST
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,938 Posts
    At this point i feel like this is an intentional leak just to get people interested and remember "oh yeah black mesa source!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

10. Post #50
    I'LL NEVER STOP
    July 2008
    2,574 Posts
    And then forget about it tomorrow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    December 2009
    4,229 Posts
    I hope they keep that voice acting when they release it. That was great.
    When that one guy said "He's been killing my buddies...", I half expected the other guy to say "Buddies?" in MGS fashion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 4 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,879 Posts
    The voice acting was hilarious. I hope they don't change it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    3,686 Posts
    Gimme gimme gimme gimme!

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,141 Posts
    the iron sights on the revolver are just to replace the nonsensical zoom from before. i think it's pretty reasonable.
    While I'm sure it could be handwaved as being a function of that helmet you never see, when I think about it I always come back to this as a "better" explanation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    6,517 Posts
    All...... I know.... is.......

heisgoingtopay

17. Post #57
    December 2010
    6,370 Posts
    Why couldn't they keep the same run speed as the original half-life 1 and take out sprinting? Also aiming down sights? Get the fuck out of here, that's stupid. It better only be cosmetic and not effect the aiming at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,812 Posts
    This thing's voice acting is bad, sure, but nothing compares to the aliens in Nexus The Jupiter Incident.

Oh. God.

19. Post #59
    The voice commands in Jaykin Bacon SvT are better than that voice acting
    Weapon sounds and music also need a rework but hey that's definitely a large bone they threw at us
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    i don't think the voice acting is that bad

it's cheesy, but isn't pretty much all of hl1?

it fits perfectly, imo. hl1 is completely goofy the whole way through.
    hl1 is OLD, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Zing Zing x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    October 2009
    9,157 Posts
    i don't think the voice acting is that bad

it's cheesy, but isn't pretty much all of hl1?

it fits perfectly, imo. hl1 is completely goofy the whole way through.
    Even if HL1 was goofy
    None of the voices sounded like Shadow the Hedgehog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    July 2011
    282 Posts
    Looks good.

And unlike some people, I can deal with iron sights on one weapon
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,099 Posts
    Rather than use "The voice acting was a bit corny in Half-Life 1" as an excuse, they really should just go back and see if they can improve their performance at all and actually try to do a really good job.

Besides, the voice acting in that video was way past being just 'corny.'
    It really isn't that great.

Also an FYI, the music that was playing wasn't from BlackMesa.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

24. Post #64
    May 2010
    17,893 Posts
    Rather than use "The voice acting was a bit corny in Half-Life 1" as an excuse, they really should just go back and see if they can improve their performance at all and actually try to do a really good job.

Besides, the voice acting in that video was way past being just 'corny.'
    It really isn't that great.

Also an FYI, the music that was playing wasn't from BlackMesa.
    Its from 2010, and is most likely placeholder voice overs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,099 Posts
    Its from 2010, and is most likely placeholder voice overs.
    According to JamesKane it isn't; Which worries me.

http://forums.blackmesasource.com/sh...ostcount=19600
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    14,761 Posts
    oh my god that voice acting

those marines sound so fucking stupid it's unfunny
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    616 Posts
    Hopefully now the actual mod gets leaked so we can actually finally get to play it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,099 Posts
    I mean, it isn't like I could do a better job at it. But I don't need to be a professional VA to tell that it needs improvement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

29. Post #69
    Dennab
    October 2010
    4,306 Posts
    Atleast the soldiers aren't raping my ears with those radio sounds, and not using radios when they're speaking to a guy right in front of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 8Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    7,756 Posts
    I'm not surprised at the voice acting and I'm not going to take it into account as much when I play the game. mostly because despite the ambition of black mesa: source, it's still a mod done for free, noone is being paid and I imagine that getting good voice acting done would be incredibly challenging in that respect - moreso than any other aspect of the game.

plus its actually hilarious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,280 Posts
    Sees grenade.

"Goddamnit."

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,351 Posts
    The voice acting was hilarious. I hope they don't change it.
    I hate when people say this. When I am playing a game, I want to feel immersed and feel suspense. Not hear some grunts dramatize the situation with "hilarious" and overly forced lines. It completely takes out the action flow that any game like half life should have.

But everything else than that looks amazing, really well done. I will just get a replacement voice pack when it comes out, just for the grunts though.

33. Post #73
    Ask me about my Zimmerman fetish

March 2005
    3,278 Posts
    How much of the original team is still working on this? I can't imagine the amount of burn-out to take place for working on a project like this for so long. For Chris-sake I bet on Duke against this with a friend, I won as you can imagine.

Not really.
    Also I just want to fucking choke anyone who even at the slightest hint of criticism instantly goes "OMG THIS IS FREE GUYS YOU MUST LIKE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ABOUT IT BECAUSE IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
    Seriously fuck off.
    What the..

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,804 Posts
    Some info for your people. i've gathered from the official forums

1. The only 'iron sight' is on .357 as its alternate fire, no other guns have it
    2. The video is dark, its brighter in game
    3. You can choose between HL1 and HL2 style movement, but the maps are designed for HL2 style movement.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    :-)
    December 2007
    4,193 Posts
    Why am I getting the feeling of 1187 out of this? It's not a good feeling either...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

36. Post #76
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,302 Posts
    I don't want serious voice acting but that's kinda cringey

37. Post #77
    April 2008
    334 Posts
    I am pretty sure this is old footage and the voice acting is place holder from that time period. I really hope that isn't the final version o.0
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,804 Posts
    I am pretty sure this is old footage and the voice acting is place holder from that time period. I really hope that isn't the final version o.0
    Not according to a dev on the forums, the Voice Acting is final.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Zing Zing x 3 (list)

39. Post #79
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,176 Posts
    Why wasn't the player getting electrified from standing on the rails?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    17,804 Posts
    Why wasn't the player getting electrified from standing on the rails?
    Maybe they removed that to make the level a less off a hassle, or it just wasn't implemented in this build yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)