1. Post #1
    August 2009
    9,411 Posts
    I am posting here for my friend who is thinking about buying a new gaming computer. My friend doesn't know much about computers and neither does his family so he is having trouble try to decide what to buy. He is currently using a laptop so he is also buying a monitor, keyboard, mouse ect. So for about $1000 what would be a good build for him? Also because neither him or his family know anything about computers he doesn't really want to build it himself. I told him not to buy any prebuilt ones but does anyone know of any service that allows you to bring in/pick out parts and just have them build it for him?

2. Post #2
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,266 Posts
    What sorts of games are we talking about?

Though I doubt it, NCIX offers the type of "pick parts, have them build" style of buying, but I don't believe the service is available outside of Canada, so that probably won't help you much.

3. Post #3
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,420 Posts
    You might be able to buy the parts and take them to a PC store, maybe ask around the local stores and see what they can offer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    August 2009
    9,411 Posts
    What sorts of games are we talking about?

Though I doubt it, NCIX offers the type of "pick parts, have them build" style of buying, but I don't believe the service is available outside of Canada, so that probably won't help you much.
    Well I think he just wants a rig that can run a majority of games out there. One that is just up to date by today's standard.

5. Post #5
    August 2009
    9,411 Posts
    Should i just recommend him my rig?

6. Post #6
    August 2009
    9,411 Posts
    Can really no one help?

7. Post #7
    March 2010
    736 Posts
    Well, what country are you from? If you are from Australia, I'll send you to PC Case Gear: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...dex&cPath=1411

8. Post #8
    August 2009
    9,411 Posts
    US of A

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    You're essentially just asking for a customzied prebuilt in a sense and its still going to be worse because of the prices to have it assembled. Tell your friend its really easy to put it together and that maybe you could help him, if he says yes to it then come back and I'll throw you something together.

10. Post #10
    June 2010
    208 Posts
    I "built" a sample setup for $750 missing a few discounts or bundle deals from Newegg, sans monitor/accessories, and it worked out ok/was upgradeable. It's a sample, try aiming for something more optimal probably...

Looked something like:
    $100 Windows 7 64bit home
    $125 Intel Core i3 3.3GHz dual core
    $145 Radeon 6870
    $100 Biostar Micro ATX mobo (with 2 PCI)
    $80 16gbs 1333 Corsair RAM
    $80 1.5tb hdd
    $60 OCz 700 watt PSU
    Assuming cheap mid tower case and $25 drives

Newby build off Newegg and Directron