1. Post #1

That mouse carcass Kitty presents you with is just the tip of a very bloody iceberg. When researchers attached kittycams to house cats, they found a secret world of slaughter.
    While only 30% of roaming house cats kill prey two animals a week on average they are still slaying more wildlife than previously believed, according to research from the University of Georgia.
    Wildlife advocates say it is a frightening level of feline foul play. Based on a U.S. house-cat population of 74 million, "cat predation is one of the reasons why one in three American birds species are in decline," says George Fenwick, president of American Bird Conservancy.
    "The previous estimates were probably too conservative because they didn't include the animals that cats ate or left behind," University of Georgia researcher Kerrie Anne Loyd says.
    The cats brought home just under a quarter of what they killed, ate 30% and left 49% to rot where they died.
    The carnage cuts across species. Lizards, snakes and frogs made up 41% of the animals killed, Loyd and fellow researcher Sonia Hernandez found. Mammals such as chipmunks and voles were 25%, insects and worms 20% and birds 12%. The researchers will present their findings this week at an Ecological Society of America conference in Portland, Ore.
    Seeking a window into the hidden lives of cats, the researchers recruited 60 owners in the Athens, Ga., area. Each owner put a small video camera mounted on a break-away collar on the cat in the morning and let the cat out, then removed the camera and downloaded the footage each night. Each cat's activities were recorded for seven to 10 days. The cats usually spent four to six hours outside every day.
    The researchers worked with the National Geographic CritterCam team, which builds tiny mobile data gathering systems to study wild animal behavior. The cat cameras were the smallest they've made to date, National Geographic's Greg Marshall says.
    Cats aren't just a danger to others, they're also a danger to themselves. The cats in the study were seen engaging in such risky behavior as crossing roadways (45%), eating and drinking things they found (25%), exploring storm drains (20%) and entering crawl spaces where they could become trapped (20%).
    Male cats were more likely to do risky things than female cats, and older cats were more careful than younger ones.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ill/56831262/1
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Informative Informative x 28Funny Funny x 5Winner Winner x 4Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    This is why you put cat collars with easily rung bells on them, so they can't be sneaky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Dumb x 80Agree x 10Funny x 3Disagree x 1Zing x 1Informative x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Yeah, house cats and feral cats are estimated to kill around 4 billion animals per year combined
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'd never put a bell on my cat, fucking rats and mice everywhere and I'm glad he gets rid of them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree x 88Dumb x 3Funny x 2Disagree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,943 Posts
    That's not a big surprise. Cats are predators, so they're programmed to kill anything smaller than they are, yet they're too well fed to do so out of need. As a result they go out there and kill shit just for fun.

I wouldn't worry about it though.
    This is why you put cat collars with easily rung bells on them, so they can't be sneaky.
    And then you wonder why you pay the exterminators to deal with the mouse problem...

Edited:

I'd never put a bell on my cat, fucking rats and mice everywhere and I'm glad he gets rid of them.
    Same here. If it wasn't for my cats I'd have to spend thousands on pest control every year. I live out on the edge of civilization too, so it's not like a one-time application will work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,712 Posts
    This is why I put so many cats in Dwarf Fortress, dead bodies of insects everywhere,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 15Funny Funny x 10 (list)

7. Post #7
    "some of those dragon dildo designs are pretty cool"
    February 2007
    9,002 Posts
    This is why I put so many cats in Dwarf Fortress, dead bodies of insects everywhere,
    And kitten meat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Funny Funny x 22Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Go Shuya! You can do it Shuya!
    December 2005
    5,660 Posts
    And kitten meat
    meow
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 15 (list)

9. Post #9
    If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.
    November 2011
    7,076 Posts
    I have two cats
    They're both murderous beings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2012
    69 Posts
    All of my cats wear bell collars and still they manage to leave us glorious amounts of small woodland rodents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,613 Posts
    We put a bell on our cat, but he kept killing just as much birds and other animals. At that point we just shrugged and figured he was ridding the animal kingdom of retards, like some kind of personified survival of the fittest agent.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 62Funny Funny x 16Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,665 Posts
    There's been a mouse in our house one time ever. Our cats don't have opportunities to kill.

Mouses are probably good for the environment as a whole anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,315 Posts
    I love cats but I really hate when they kill birds.

Poor birds, killed by human love for cute animals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,613 Posts
    There's been a mouse in our house one time ever. Our cats don't have opportunities to kill.

Maybe outside your house, but not inside. The wreck a lot of shit, dig holes through your stuff and leave behind bacteria, diseases, poop and other unhygienic shit. They have no bladders, so after drinking they leave a trail of piss wherever they walk. Fun times when they're in your kitchen.

We've had a mice infestation in my old house. Probably because our pet bird was messy and kept knocking seeds and stuff out of its cage on the floor below. Ever since, I can just -smell- whenever a house or a room has mice in them. They have a very specific, stinky smell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

15. Post #15
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts

Mice are pests and they destroy large quantities of food very fast.
    They have evolved to do nothing other than feed off of humans, and while cute, are total pests.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2007
    795 Posts
    The amount of dead Pidgins my cat's got stuck in the cat flap is a piss take.

17. Post #17
    WINNER
    August 2007
    1,617 Posts
    I love it when my girlfriends cat brings me his trophy's

fucking head sized trophy's..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 13Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Edi
    August 2009
    493 Posts
    Cats are fucking beasts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning
    November 2006
    1,357 Posts
    My house used to be crawling with mice and then we got neighbours that moved in with 2 cats. Haven't seen any mice since.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 14 (list)

20. Post #20
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,824 Posts
    my cat is old and fat as fuck yet still manages to kill everything in sight. bells don't seem to do jack shit, most days there's a present in the kitchen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 13Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    my cat is old and fat as fuck yet still manages to kill everything in sight. bells don't seem to do jack shit, most days there's a present in the kitchen.
    It's not a present. It's a warning.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 48Winner x 2Agree x 2Disagree x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    14,824 Posts
    it's so fat when it walks down the stairs you think there's somebody in the house.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 40 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2007
    4,962 Posts
    I opened my door once to find 6 mice, gutted and deader then dead, all neatly arranged on my doorstep.

Cat got a very special meal that day, they do their work better then the damn exterminators
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 9Winner Winner x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,902 Posts
    I used to have a cat with a bell, and when he went to hunt he just held the bell in his paw so it didn't make any noise
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 61Funny Funny x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,455 Posts
    I'm sure the cats ability to kill pests was why people even bothered to domesticate them in the first place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    865 Posts
    I'm sure the cats ability to kill pests was why people even bothered to domesticate them in the first place
    I have a feeling it's more because of this

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    August 2012
    262 Posts
    My cat brought half of a dead mouse home a few months ago and left it on the kitchen table for all to see.
    Guts hanging out and everything.
    Was pretty cool.

Edited:

And the other cat used to kill pigeons like crazy back in the day.
    This one time it killed a pigeon and then the dog ate the carcass, only left the wings in the backyard.
    That was pretty cool too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Croatia Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,072 Posts
    Our now-dead cat had a bell on her neck, but she still managed to hunt and kill like a mad fuck. She brought in several live birds and let them loose into our house and once she brought in a huge fucking MOLE that was like 75% of her size. That FUCKER.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 14Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    My cat learned how to open windows and often kills rabbits. Whenever I stop stroking him he pulls out a claw, latches onto my arm and pulls it back to keep so as to keep stroking him.

The house often has dead crows, mice, baby rabbits, etc.

He terrifies me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 33Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    I used to have a cat with a bell, and when he went to hunt he just held the bell in his paw so it didn't make any noise
    It's interesting how they can adapt intellectually to that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Spain Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,209 Posts
    I live on the third floor of an apartment building, yet this one fat cat I used to have (died a little over a year ago) still managed to catch and kill a bird. His hunting skills belied his great bulk.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,943 Posts

And they're terrible for you. There's a valid reason why having mice is a MASSIVE health code violation for resteraunts. They aren't any cleaner because they're in your kitchen either.

Oh, and if they're not spreading diseases they're chewing on the wires behind your wall. They have started house fires before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    I wonder how many people realise that they are meant to keep cats indoors for this reason.
    I am fairly sure (could be wrong) in Australia it is illegal to let cats out at night.

They kill for fun.

34. Post #34
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,539 Posts
    My friend's cat purrs when I rub her belly. I didn't know she was a murderous psychopath. Next time I meet that cat, I'll hit her with the Holy Bible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

35. Post #35
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    You don't need cats to kill mice, just use rat bate/traps works just as well if not better.

Everyone disagreeing with me because I said traps, fine just use bate it is better and dose not kill wildlife.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Cmx
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    1,431 Posts
    My 2 inside cats wont even kill a god damn spider.
    They just look at it and pat it around a bit then walk off.
    Why must I get the non-murderous cats?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Funny Funny x 2 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,943 Posts
    You don't need cats to kill mice, just use rat bate/traps works just as well if not better.
    Bullshit. We tried that. Doesn't work. End up spending a fortune on them and the only thing they catch is dust mites. With cats we haven't had to spend another cent on mouse control, seeing as the cats take care of the problem for us.

38. Post #38
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    Bullshit. We tried that. Doesn't work. End up spending a fortune on them and the only thing they catch is dust mites. With cats we haven't had to spend another cent on mouse control, seeing as the cats take care of the problem for us.
    Have always use mouse and rat bate, worked like a charm, they take bits back to their nest and kill the babies.
    and you have to put the bait in spots they go, leave and forget.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,943 Posts
    Have always use mouse and rat bate, worked like a charm, they take bits back to their nest and kill the babies.
    and you have to put the bait in spots they go, leave and forget.
    No. No they don't. They ignore it entirely, eat the trap around the bait, take the bait without getting caught in the trap, and generally defeat the trap in every way it is possible to defeat the trap. We've tried everything from glue boards to spring traps to those stupid 'humane' traps that don't work because the mouse beats you back into the house. None of them worked.

Cats > mousetraps.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    January 2008
    528 Posts
    Except the upkeep of the cat and the other wildlife damage you do, unless you keep your cat indoors.

Edited:

No. No they don't. They ignore it entirely, eat the trap around the bait, take the bait without getting caught in the trap, and generally defeat the trap in every way it is possible to defeat the trap. We've tried everything from glue boards to spring traps to those stupid 'humane' traps that don't work because the mouse beats you back into the house. None of them worked.

Cats > mousetraps.
    This is bate

They like eating this it tastes good, it does not kill them right away, they tell their friends and or bring it to their babies.

Tapes can be noneffective, this is not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)