1. Post #161
    March 2007
    3,658 Posts
    To be fair, the bible is a pretty schizophrenic book and it's touted as the word of God, so honestly you can take any message you want from it to fit your needs, they're just taking the parts where it says "Aye don't poke each other in the bums, it's icky."
    A majority (pretty much everything other than the 10 commandments) of the old testament is void after the new testament.
    So, it's less schizophrenic than you think, because the new testament sets the "rules".

The point is though, is that every sin is equal in the eyes of God, therefor they are no better than anyone else on this planet.
    Therefor they don't even understand the religion they say they follow.

2. Post #162
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    A majority (pretty much everything other than the 10 commandments) of the old testament is void after the new testament.
    So, it's less schizophrenic than you think, because the new testament sets the "rules".

The point is though, is that every sin is equal in the eyes of God, therefor they are no better than anyone else on this planet.
    Yeah but the new testament has Deuteronmy does it not? If so then it's still mega retarded since that's the book that explains the ins and out of buying and selling rape victims.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    March 2007
    3,658 Posts
    Yeah but the new testament has Deuteronmy does it not? If so then it's still mega retarded since that's the book that explains the ins and out of buying and selling rape victims.
    Deuteronmy is from the old testament, and again, the new testament voids almost everything from the old testament.

4. Post #164
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Fair enough admittedly it's been quite a while since I've read a bible, but you're still gonna get silly buggers who're just gonna pick and choose what they want. Honestly in my opinion they're not christians, christians in my opinion are people who strive to live by the core beliefs of being kind to others and wirshipping god, everything else is secondary and these folk fail to meet both tennents.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #165
    March 2007
    3,658 Posts
    And it makes me oh so sad how people will warp the title to what they want it to be, but then still call themselves Christian.

I'm Christian, I don't go out screaming "God hates fags, you're all going to hell if you don't accept Jesus, masturbating is a sin!".
    Every sin is seen as equal in Gods eyes. If the Westboro church says they are "christian" then that voids all their picketing.
    Who am I to judge anyone when I sin? Who is the Westboro church to judge anyone when they also sin? Who is anyone to judge anyone when everyone sins?

I tend to not bring up religion at all, but what the westboro church is doing just gives me grief because they are twisting the name "christian" way too far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

6. Post #166
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Fair enough man, honestly the people who tend to be bad christians so to speak in my experience end up being the people who wear it like a badge on their sleave and define themselves by it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #167
    March 2007
    3,658 Posts
    And they also speak the loudest sadly.
    They tend to get the most news coverage.

It's oh so sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    #420 PRAISE IT
    May 2010
    6,356 Posts
    They only banned protesting 300 ft from a soldiers funeral, so like.. why would someone other than the WBC need to protest near a soldier's funeral anyway... it's not like they took away everyones right to protest guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #169
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    And they also speak the loudest sadly.
    They tend to get the most news coverage.

It's oh so sad.
    :glomp:

It's fine, anyone with at least half an ass knows that most christians are sound people and that the ones who shout the loudest would be drooling retards whether or not they're christian.

Edited:

They only banned protesting 300 ft from a soldiers funeral, so like.. why would someone other than the WBC need to protest near a soldier's funeral anyway... it's not like they took away everyones right to protest guys.
    They protest at those funerals cause they're assholes and try to get people riled up enough that they do something stupid so they can take them to court. Keep in mind these folk are the "Thank God for dead soldiers," people.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #170
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts
    Every sin is seen as equal in Gods eyes.
    Sinning is fun.

11. Post #171
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,506 Posts
    Deuteronmy is from the old testament, and again, the new testament voids almost everything from the old testament.
    Even if that's the case, the old testament is far from the only part with fucked up stuff,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    October 2009
    4,274 Posts
    In the UK, we have a law where public free speech is perfectly fine as long as it isn't for the purpose of discriminating against others, and I think inciting people to break the law (though I think that might just be the media). It seems to work well most of the time, people are allowed to say pretty much what they want, and the only people that actually get in trouble are those that want to remove others' rights basically. In other words, chatting with your friends about how black people are the worst= Yeah, sure, whatever; Shouting abuse at a black guy= You're getting arrested if there's a policeman around.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,913 Posts
    If you're rating me dumb instead of disagree, you ought to have a damn fine reason why I'm dumb and not just wrong. I guarantee that if you disagree with me on this issue you're going to be wrong, and I challenge you to find a logical, ethical, legal reason why I'm wrong, and not one based on your individual sense of morality.

Go ahead, do it.
    I don't get why people do this or even care

basically if you get rated dumb and edit your post questioning why youre getting rated dumb youll get rated dumb even more why do people still care about this god fuck damn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #174
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,336 Posts

Except according to my great-aunt (she's the bible nut of the family) Jesus says that the old laws haven't changed, so all the shit in Leviticus is still perfectly valid. So if they were truly doing what God wanted them to, they'd be stoning homosexuals to death instead of pestering the loved ones of fallen soldiers/celebrities.
    "Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"
    Another interesting verse:
    "Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.' (Matthew 23:1-3)"

15. Post #175
    March 2007
    3,658 Posts
    He said till everything is accomplished.

Everything was accomplished after he was hung on the cross.

16. Post #176
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,336 Posts
    He said till everything is accomplished.

Everything was accomplished after he was hung on the cross.
    One could interpret it as that, but the Bible is full of vague sayings such as that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #177
    March 2007
    3,658 Posts
    One could interpret it as that, but the Bible is full of vague sayings such as that.
    Not really.
    You have to really take stuff out of context for that.

18. Post #178
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,592 Posts
    Because hate speech doesn't cause any immediate harm.

Free speech is meant for everyone, if you start making arbitrary distinctions then you don't have free speech any more.

You have to remember, that what one person may consider hateful another person might consider truth.
    There's a fine line between hate speech and personal harassment.

IE: I'm pretty sure it's not legal.. basically everywhere, to get up in somebody's face and start shouting insults and profanity right into their ears. That'd be classified as fighting words, or harassment or what have you.

I think if you go out of your way to "protest" right next to a funeral in an attempt to shock and offend people in mounring then it's more a case of harassment, not free speech.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #179
    November 2007
    2,546 Posts

IE: I'm pretty sure it's not legal.. basically everywhere, to get up in somebody's face and start shouting insults and profanity right into their ears. That'd be classified as fighting words, or harassment or what have you.

I think if you go out of your way to "protest" right next to a funeral in an attempt to shock and offend people in mounring then it's more a case of harassment, not free speech.
    As I said earlier in the thread, the U.S. supreme court already ruled that WBC's speech was not fighting words in Snyder v. Phelps.

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    14,592 Posts
    As I said earlier in the thread, the U.S. supreme court already ruled that WBC's speech was not fighting words in Snyder v. Phelps.
    May not be fighting words, but I don't see how this is not harassment.

Either way "harassment" and "fighting words" are relative terms, and the meaning of those terms may change thanks to WBC
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #181
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    7,336 Posts
    Not really.
    You have to really take stuff out of context for that.
    Guess my great-aunt has been reading it wrong this whole time, she'll be crushed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #182
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts

They aren't insulting anyone personally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #183
    February 2011
    312 Posts
    Fire paintballs at them, everyone will look the other way.

24. Post #184
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,024 Posts
    Couldn't you just arrest them for hate speech ?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    November 2007
    2,546 Posts
    May not be fighting words, but I don't see how this is not harassment.

Either way "harassment" and "fighting words" are relative terms, and the meaning of those terms may change thanks to WBC
    They aren't harassing or using fighting words because they aren't doing any personal attacks, only about types of people.

Couldn't you just arrest them for hate speech ?
    Hate speech isn't illegal in the U.S.

26. Post #186
    dvc
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    2,637 Posts
    What if they went around saying "God hates Niggers" then?

They would immediately be jailed for hatecrime. Yet them going around saying "God hates Fags" is perfectly fine,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    November 2007
    2,546 Posts

They would immediately be jailed for hatecrime. Yet them going around saying "God hates Fags" is perfectly fine,
    They wouldn't get jailed for hate crime.

Saying "god hates niggers" isn't a hate crime, it is hate speech.

28. Post #188
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    17,024 Posts
    Hate speech isn't illegal in the U.S.
    Oh my bad.

Edited:

Hate crime would only be valid if they actually beat a black man to death with one of those signs.

29. Post #189
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts

No, no they wouldn't.

30. Post #190
    Gold Member
    April 2010
    4,297 Posts

Only if they threw rocks first. Then that'd be assault with a projectile (even if they missed) [i]and[i/] a hate crime.

31. Post #191
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    7,679 Posts
    By implying others are lesser beings for acts of dubious morals or opinions and wishing their death has only shown you all to be hypocrites.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #192
    screamin 4 da gold
    January 2010
    7,021 Posts
    By implying others are lesser beings for acts of dubious morals or opinions and wishing their death has only shown you all to be hypocrites.
    How is it hypocritical to want a bad thing gone? They're scum and we want to wash them from the bathtub of society.

33. Post #193
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    20,062 Posts
    They aren't insulting anyone personally.
    Dunno why people are disagreeing with this, it's the truth. It's how they've been able to do this so long without legal consequences; they don't point at people and shout "YOU'RE going to Hell!" or anything that could be legally considered as targeting a person, they should non-specific phrases about fags and fag-enablers going to hell and the like. They're a family of lawyers, they can walk the tightrope of legality in this instance quite well, seeing as it's one of their main sources of income.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #194

August 2012
    18 Posts
    looks like they got protested
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

35. Post #195
    November 2007
    2,546 Posts
    How is it hypocritical to want a bad thing gone? They're scum and we want to wash them from the bathtub of society.
    Hey you want them gone?

Stop paying attention to them.

36. Post #196
    July 2009
    2,119 Posts
    This is the cost of freedom people. You need to be equal to Everyone Thank god I live in the good part of the UK.
    Mate our country's jailed people for mean tweets. Britain can't exactly take the high ground here.

37. Post #197
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,827 Posts
    I don't want to be harsh and I've said it in every thread where it contains these cunts

But if anyone wants to do a mass shootings

do it on these people

honestly you'll be treated like shit for killing people, but you killed the right ones.

as odd as that sounds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #198
    Dennab
    May 2007
    1,218 Posts
    I don't want to be harsh and I've said it in every thread where it contains these cunts

do it on these people

honestly you'll be treated like shit for killing people, but you killed the right ones.

as odd as that sounds.
    I think the same fucking thing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #199
    December 2011
    2,782 Posts

do it on these people

as odd as that sounds.
    Did you torture small animals when you were a kid?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #200
    March 2011
    1,219 Posts
    What you should really do is find loads of the countries best lawyers who absolutely despise them like everybody else and try to find the smallest violations of the law to catch them out with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)