1. Post #1
    Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...comm_ref=false

A Vietnam vet who earned two purple hearts for his brave service died a hero Wednesday when he shielded his granddaughter from getting shot.

As five intruders wielding guns and bats broke into the Villneffs' Detroit home late Wednesday night, the four children ran next door to their grandfather, John’s, house for help, myfoxdetroit.com reports. When one robber noticed the 12-year-old girl taking pictures of them with her iPad, he opened fire and John instinctively jumped in front to protect her.

The heroic grandpa was shot twice and died on his doorstep, the news outlet reports.

"I didn't even get to tell him I loved him," John's son, Michael, told the news outlet. "These cowardly, heartless, worthless people took a key person in our family away from us for nothing."

The robbers made off with jewelry, a cable box and several video games, according to the Detroit Free Press, before fatally shooting the 62-year-old veteran who served in both the Marines and the Navy.

The family cannot afford to pay for a proper service and are working on setting up a funeral fund.

“He was a very good man, just a good old Southern boy, loved to help people,” John’s daughter, Melissa, told the Detroit Free Press. “He never bothered anybody.”
    Ugh....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 166Winner Winner x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    16,442 Posts
    remember guys as long as you do exactly what they say this wouldn't happen!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb x 20Informative x 8Agree x 3Zing x 2Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    12,001 Posts
    Yeah go and try to shoot a 12 year old because you fucked up, that'll make make your robbery easier.

Scum bags.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 83 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,495 Posts
    Survive a horrible war only to die in the country you fought to protect.... Fuck this gay earth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 82Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

5. Post #5
    Or just be ready to defend yourself at all times when at home... The world is a dark place now. Have to be ready for anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 33Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 5 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    I knew this would be in fucking Detroit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2011
    157 Posts
    Terrible. Well, there goes the rest of my day :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    I knew this would be in fucking Detroit.
    This shit happens everywhere man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 21Disagree Disagree x 5Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    When one robber noticed the 12-year-old girl taking pictures of them with her iPad, he opened fire and John instinctively jumped in front to protect her.
    how shit a person do you have to be to shoot at a 12 year old
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 53Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    how shit a person do you have to be to shoot at a 12 year old
    James Holmes killed a six year old girl. You have to be that kind of shitty person.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2009
    8,256 Posts
    Shoot a 12 year old girl, what a fucking coward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 26 (list)

12. Post #12
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,440 Posts
    God fucking dammit this is gonna ruin my day :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,523 Posts
    "I didn't even get to tell him I loved him," John's son, Michael, told the news outlet
    I'm assuming he meant after the shooting.

Meanwhile, I guess if you want to document your family getting robbed, there's an app for that. Thanks 12 yr old with an ipad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 25Informative Informative x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    God fucking dammit this is gonna ruin my day :(
    I thought my day was ruined earlier but this totally fucked it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Apple extraordinaire~ ♥
    April 2006
    5,505 Posts
    I hope she managed to get some good snaps of their faces or at least their clothes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    1,669 Posts
    Or just be ready to defend yourself at all times when at home... The world is a dark place now. Have to be ready for anything.
    The world is getting better, shit was worse before, it just didn't get reported.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    April 2009
    502 Posts
    I was just leaving the Tiger's game last night when all the cops started rushing around.

No. Trust me, Detroit is fucked and just about every bit as dangerous as it's made out to be. Fuck people firebomb houses in that city for fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,635 Posts
    The family cannot afford to pay for a proper service and are working on setting up a funeral fund.
    This is the worst part for me to read. To think this guy died protecting his family, after being willing to die fighting for his country, and he most likely won't even get a proper funeral.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 28Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    The world is getting better, shit was worse before, it just didn't get reported.
    Better how? What didn't get reported?

Edited:

No. Trust me, Detroit is fucked and just about every bit as dangerous as it's made out to be. Fuck people firebomb houses in that city for fun.
    I live just outside Baltimore. This same shit happens under a mile from where I live. And all over Maryland. I read about this shit all over the mid-Atlantic area. We live in bad times man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,635 Posts

Edited:

I live just outside Baltimore. This same shit happens under a mile from where I live. And all over Maryland. I read about this shit all over the mid-Atlantic area. We live in bad times man.
    Hey, you are only aware of big cities. My town is doing badly if we have two murders every other year.

The biggest issues around here are heroin and speeding violations.

21. Post #21
    Hey, you are only aware of big cities. My town is doing badly if we have two murders every other year.

The biggest issues around here are heroin and speeding violations.
    I wish I lived in smalltown USA... Unfortunately there are no IT jobs there.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,982 Posts
    Correct.

Nowadays, everyone and their dog has some means of taking video/images and uploading them to the internet almost instantly.

The evolution of technology has lead to something I like to call "Emergency Journalism".

Anyways god bless this dude, he lived a hero and died a hero. Fucking cowards, not even just aiming at the kid but SHOOTING at her?

I only wish he had lived long enough for them to say goodbye.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    I know that. I don't see how I'm dumb for stating how I assumed the location before entering the thread. Detroit has terrible criminals and scum littered everywhere.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts

Meanwhile, I guess if you want to document your family getting robbed, there's an app for that. Thanks 12 yr old with an ipad.
    I assume she was doing it to get pictures of the criminals...

It's a shame that iPads are such big noticeable things.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,982 Posts
    I wish I lived in smalltown USA... Unfortunately there are no IT jobs there.
    Smalltown USA is just as bad, relatively. We've had quite a few cop killings nearby. It's awful to hear about a policeman/vet/soldier getting killed, those are the bravest people in the country being erased from the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    I know that. I don't see how I'm dumb for stating how I assumed the location before entering the thread. Detroit has terrible criminals and scum littered everywhere.
    As does every big city.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    As does every big city.
    I guess Detroit is just a staple of it.

28. Post #28
    I guess Detroit is just a staple of it.
    Detroit is focused on by the media...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    837 Posts
    Why not just take the fucking iPad? What is the benefit of shooting the girl? Jesus christ. Fuck. I know they didn't kill her. but shit. These robbers are stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    April 2009
    502 Posts

Edited:

Remember, Detroit ranked among the top 10 most dangerous cities in the world, just around Baghdad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    Detroit is focused on by the media...
    Doesn't it also have the second highest homicide rate in your country?

32. Post #32
    Oh hey another shitty post by Cecil.

No he meant before, what do you think.

She was taking a picture of them to show the police, idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Baltimore, where I live scored barely behind Detroit. We were number one for a while. Baltimore being number one for something is new..lol our sports teams suck. (Inside joke for locals)

Edited:

Doesn't it also have the second highest homicide rate in your country?
    First highest I think. Baltimore second.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,982 Posts
    Oh hey another shitty post by Cecil.

No he meant before, what do you think.

She was taking a picture of them to show the police, idiot.
    why do you like split analyze everyones posts

like you have to split up the posts into different quotes and then slowly point out every flaw

why cant you stay on topic and not look so disrespectful.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Wait, won't the military perform a service if he's a veteran?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,509 Posts
    That information is also dated. Chicago is actually worse as far as homicides than Detroit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    August 2011
    3,194 Posts
    What a fucking asshole, why didn't he just take the ipad and steal or, or destroy it, or something? Where's the fucking logic in shooting a 12 year old girl?

38. Post #38
    YEAH, AND?
    December 2010
    9,509 Posts
    Since when do scumbag house burglars use logic?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    Dennab
    April 2011
    2,635 Posts
    What a fucking asshole, why didn't he just take the ipad and steal or, or destroy it, or something? Where's the fucking logic in shooting a 12 year old girl?
    I am in no way justifying his actions, but the grandfather was obviously between the two men and the iPad. For the robbers to get to the iPad they still would have had to go through the grandfather. Plus, they were probably so hopped up on adrenaline they wouldn't be able to focus anyway.

again, not a justification, just an observation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Captain Armed Dildo, Master of Ratings
    February 2011
    5,526 Posts
    Why rob someone in the first place? There are legal ways to get financial help, such as a job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)