1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,628 Posts
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1753735.html

Huffington Post posted:
    When Gossip Girl fans (or really all of us, all the time) are all "OMG" over the latest plot twist, they probably have no idea that they're quoting a British World War I admiral.

But it's true. As the folks at Oxford English Dictionary discovered last year, the first known appearance of the acronym was in 1917.

Our first reaction to learning that OMG is 95 years old was, well: OMG!

In a letter signed on September 9, 1917, at the height of World War I, Admiral John Arbuthnot Fisher wrote "I hear that a new order of Knighthood is on the tapis—O.M.G (Oh! My! God!)—Shower it on the Admiralty!!"

Fisher was writing to Winston Churchill, who would eventually go on to serve as British prime minister during the next world war. In the letter, tweeted out by the blog Letters of Note on Monday, Fisher worried over some then-recent successes of the German navy. The correspondence made its first public appearance in Fisher's memoir, released in 1919.

It seemed that the acronym laid dormant for many more decades. According to our search of books using Google Ngrams, OMG didn't really take off until the 1990s and the popularization of the Internet.

See for yourself:

By our perusal, the bumps in '50s and '70s appear to refer to phrases other than "Oh my God" being shortened to OMG. (Things like "Object Management Group," a consortium of companies.) However, the Oxford English Dictionary did find one pre-web usage of the acronym. It occurred in a 1982 Los Angeles Times advertisement for tangelos and tangerines, of all things. The ad read, "You'll find the season's best tangelos and tangerines now at our famous produce stalls. We spotted some marked O-M-G Tangelos, about the biggest we've seen." Bonus: The storied Oxford English Dictionary cites the "Joys of Cybersex" in its definition of "OMG."

Of course, there could be instances of the word we or Oxford don't know about. After all, blasphemy has been around at least since the Bible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 193Late x 12Winner x 11Informative x 7Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,132 Posts
    Oh boy, what's gonna be next next?

"We're gonna sail this ship right next to that iceberg, YOLO"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 482Winner Winner x 12Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    6,991 Posts
    now i'm just picturing the d-day landings like a game of counterstrike
    (i'm sure that was a gif at some point)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 63Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts

"We hit an iceberg, we're good, L.O.L (Laughing out Loud!)"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 111Winner Winner x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    4,545 Posts
    Just sank the Bismarck, SWAG
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 151 (list)

6. Post #6
    Dennab
    December 2011
    5,623 Posts
    Churchill just made anothe speech #lykdisifucryerrytime
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Professional x64 Europe Show Events Funny Funny x 94 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    -snip bad joke bad post don't stay up after midnight kids-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    March 2010
    1,306 Posts
    wtf man hitler just like, SO invaded czechoslovakia and shit, that's like, well out of order blud, like a breach of their sovereignty, we is WELL vexed

yours sincerely, Albert François Lebrun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 47 (list)

9. Post #9
    CD drives eject stuff, my ass ejects stuff, therefore my ass must be a CD drive.
    July 2009
    4,586 Posts
    now that ur reading this don't stop. send dis 2 five other ppl and u will have good harvest 4 a yr. if u don't u will get black death.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 163Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,668 Posts
    wtf man hitler just like, SO invaded czechoslovakia and shit, that's like, well out of order blud, like a breach of their sovereignty, we is WELL vexed

yours sincerely, Albert François Lebrun
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 21Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,534 Posts
    .-- . + .-- --- -. + -. --- .-. -- .- -. -.. -.-- + --. --. + --. . .-. -- .- -. ... + .-.. --- .-..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny x 27Informative x 4Agree x 3Zing x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    698 Posts
    Yes.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 120Winner Winner x 9Late Late x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,333 Posts
    L.M.A.O (Laughing My Ass Off) I just pwned japan

Posted from my Enola Gay
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    December 2008
    1,649 Posts
    So much nostalgia. I haven't seen that .gif in yeeeeaaaars.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 99 (list)

15. Post #15
    June 2008
    875 Posts

Holy shit first time I've laughed at a reply on fp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 21Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    2,174 Posts
    Gotta be creative when your courier charges by the word
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,410 Posts
    -snip-

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    2,840 Posts
    Gotta be creative when your courier charges by the word
    Except, you know, he still spelled out "Oh My God"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 33Zing Zing x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,726 Posts
    trench got gassed again FML
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 23Funny Funny x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2009
    12,197 Posts
    Tommies zerg rushing our positions again LOL. GMU (gott mitt uns)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    7,168 Posts
    "LOL just pwnd President Lincoln gotta ftw now send this to the Huffington Twitter Service "
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)

22. Post #22
    March 2007
    3,662 Posts
    "They told me to read the constitution, but I laughed and said T.L.D.R. (Too long, didn't read)."

[h=1]William Paterson[/h]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 18Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    3,872 Posts
    Except, you know, he still spelled out "Oh My God"
    The fact that he took the time to spell it out after almost makes me think he actually thought that writing OMG would become a widespread thing and he wanted to be first. Why else would he take the time to write it and explain it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 23Funny Funny x 6 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,285 Posts
    Reminds me of an artical that said that the Victorians used emotes in letters.

25. Post #25
    October 2009
    5,101 Posts
    @AdolfH We're loosing the war ffs -.-' #thirdreichforlife
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

26. Post #26
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    I thought this sounded old.

Cracked did an article with this tidbit in it in December

http://www.cracked.com/article_19584...day-words.html

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    8,285 Posts
    More like

@AdolfH OMG pussy generals!!!!! FML #thirdreichforlife

28. Post #28
    July 2009
    4,278 Posts
    @JFK Lol secret service wants me to ride in a covered limo I told them no! #yolo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,923 Posts
    That sounds hilariously flamboyant

Edited:

Grown men once wrote like that

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,805 Posts
    Osama bin Laben
    LOL US will never find me!

Like * Comment * A couple hours ago at compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,568 Posts
    "#Jones just gave everyone poison, we're so fucked LOL! "
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    My dick's so long, if I laid it on my keyboard, it'd reach from A to Z.
    March 2012
    2,050 Posts
    "Honorable Emperor Hirohito,

Our strike against the shipyard at Pearl Harbor caught the Western devils completely off guard. It will be long regarded in the annals of history as one of our glorious nations finest military achievements. The evil Americans fought fiercely, but w00t (We! Owned! Other! Team!)

All glory to the Empire!

Rofflecopter."

33. Post #33
    December 2009
    13,332 Posts
    Reminds me of an artical that said that the Victorians used emotes in letters.
    lol i just pwned those indian scrubs XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    March 2007
    3,662 Posts
    "Honorable Emperor Hirohito,

Our strike against the shipyard at Pearl Harbor caught the Western devils completely off guard. It will be long regarded in the annals of history as one of our glorious nations finest military achievements. The evil Americans fought fiercely, but w00t (We! Owned! Other! Team!)

All glory to the Empire!

Rofflecopter."
    Actually, Japan was supposed to send their declaration of war before they attacked us, but some fucked up. Also had we been ready for their attack, they wouldn't have done much damage.

35. Post #35
    July 2009
    1,001 Posts
    1 smll step 4 man 1 giant leap 4 manknd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    What fun is there in making sense?
    Dennab
    October 2007
    9,274 Posts
    Actually, Japan was supposed to send their declaration of war before they attacked us, but some fucked up. Also had we been ready for their attack, they wouldn't have done much damage.
    Yep. Their decoders fell behind in decoding the message, and as such it was delayed in getting to their ambassador.

Also, US decoders got it decoded before the Japanese, and were aware of the plan. But the message got lost in bureaucracy and the warning wasn't delivered to Pearl Harbor until several hours after the attack.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    I LOVE NAZIS
    June 2011
    4,513 Posts
    lol just got shot in the jaw by russians omg #hitmarker #yolo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    Fuq, my generals r shit, gonna shoot the next fuck who screws up! #BigRedStalin

Edited:

Hindenburg blew up, FML. #PaulHindenburg

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    5,466 Posts
    1 smll step 4 man 1 giant leap 4 manknd
    @BuzzAldrin jst landed on th moon lol #aeiou #johnmadden
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 21 (list)

40. Post #40
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,512 Posts
    @HSTruman: Well fuck, guess I'm the POTUS now. #ripFDR