1. Post #41
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    im going to reply to your argument with a pointless and noncontributing post by insulting your intelligence
    You obviously didn't read the article because the second half of your post was completely wrong and if you think three shots to the chest is "overkill" then you know nothing about firearms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 6Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,803 Posts
    There was 12 of them, 11 of them would have had their guns out. There was and would have been ample protection
    Not really, in the time they have to wait to see if the taser works, he could quite easily harm an officer or a bystander.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    True, but I'm not sure they'll be willing to taze a suspect who already shrugged off pain compliance; and the suspect may have been escalating in threat. And as said before, tasers aren't exactly the most reliable thing.
    I know tasers are not the most reliable thing, but the fact that they weren't considered for use in the situation strikes me as wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

4. Post #44
    July 2007
    1,609 Posts
    Oh my God I was in NYC all day. How the fuck did I miss THAT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    Reading skills help, bro.

True, but I'm not sure they'll be willing to taze a suspect who already shrugged off pain compliance; and the suspect may have been escalating in threat. And as said before, tasers aren't exactly the most reliable thing.
    I edited my post
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,020 Posts
    no one here said cops had aimbots. im pretty sure we already know how tasers worked. even if tasing wasnt a viable option, 5 shots to the stomach is a bit overkill.
    It sure as hell doesn't seem like you know how tasers work. If you already knew what Bound said, you wouldn't be suggesting/supporting the use of a taser in this scenario.

If they simply shot him once, they would likely be prosecuted for shooting to wound.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts
    I know tasers are not the most reliable thing, but the fact that they weren't considered for use in the situation strikes me as wrong.
    Yes, its wrong that they didnt want to risk the well beings of several innocent people to attempt to non lethally bring down a dangerous insane man who shrugs off pepper spray, with a weapon that might not work, that needs to be fired from close range, and isnt guaranteed to hit anyway.

Nice logic there buddy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2005
    4,680 Posts
    popopop niggas
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    Not really, in the time they have to wait to see if the taser works, he could quite easily harm an officer or a bystander.
    Tasers work more or less instantaneously after the barbs attach themselves, as I said, the 11 other officers would have been ready to neutralise the guy if no effect was produced and he escalated the conflict
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #50
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts
    Tasers work more or less instantaneously after the barbs attach themselves, as I said, the 11 other officers would have been ready to neutralise the guy if no effect was produced and he escalated the conflict
    Cops are not aimbots, he could probably move fast enough to slash someone before the others could react.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

11. Post #51
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    13,803 Posts
    Good for you, but you're incorrect. Non-lethal is only used when the offender is not a serious threat. Someone running or just using their bare hands and such are not considered serious threats and are therefore subject to non-lethal methods. But when a weapon comes in to play, all else is discarded to insure that there is no chance that the offender can harm anyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    If they had a taser ready and they saw it as a valid option they would have used it. The police did not just stand around the guy in a circle for 10 minutes with their guns out staring at him and then they just decided to shoot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #53
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    Cops are not aimbots, he could probably move fast enough to slash someone before the others could react.
    no one said they were for the second time. do you really think 11 cops are going to miss every single shot they take at the guy before he manages to escalate the situation?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    Yes, its wrong that they didnt want to risk the well beings of several innocent people to attempt to non lethally bring down a dangerous insane man who shrugs off pepper spray, with a weapon that might not work, that needs to be fired from close range, and isnt guaranteed to hit anyway.

Nice logic there buddy.
    I guess the same could be said for them risking themselves to lethally take down an insane man with a weapon that might not work, needs to be fired from close range and isn't guaranteed to hit anyway.

They are police officers, solving risky situations is their job

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    7,271 Posts
    and none of these officers had a taser?
    You don't use less then lethal force when someone is using deadly force.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

16. Post #56
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts
    no one said they were for the second time. do you really think 11 cops are going to miss every single shot they take at the guy before he manages to escalate the situation?
    Im saying that they probably couldnt react fast enough, and aim directly at him, before he manages to hurt someone.

17. Post #57
    Hello, my name is Penis. Please refer to me as such. I'm totally cool with it.
    November 2009
    4,706 Posts
    Facepunch when police open fire on a suspect: "OMG POLICE BRUTALITY they should have tried tazing him first!!1111111111"

Facepunch when police use a taser on a suspect: "OMG POLICE BRUTALITY tazers shouldn't be used! They're dangerous!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 32Zing x 2Disagree x 2Funny x 2Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Quite possibly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,227 Posts
    Waiting until the guy with the knife is rushing a cop from taser range isn't the best way to avoid friendly fire. It's an unnecessary risk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    If they had a taser ready and they saw it as a valid option they would have used it. The police did not just stand around the guy in a circle for 10 minutes with their guns out staring at him and then they just decided to shoot.
    In this situation it seems just that

21. Post #61
    February 2009
    3,135 Posts
    10.6 metres is the max range, that's a pretty comfortable distance when you see that they were around about that distance (at least in the short snippet of footage shown)
    A man with a knife can also rush in from the distance incredibly fast. I don't think anybody wanted to shoot him but the guy with the knife kinda forced them to.

22. Post #62
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    I guess the same could be said for them risking themselves to lethally take down an insane man with a weapon that might not work, needs to be fired from close range and isn't guaranteed to hit anyway.

How do you know the man was insane?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts

Uh, no, a bullet is different than a tazer.

A bullet also moves a fucking lot faster than a tazer.

A bullet is usually guaranteed to work if it hits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,020 Posts
    Tasers are just an alternative way of subduing someone when you could beat/wrestle them to the ground, but don't want to risk injury or getting punched yourself. I'm quite sure the cops have used tasers before, and I'm quite sure they understand that you do not counter lethal force with less-lethal force. The cops don't want to risk anyone's life over that ONE life.

If they shoot him, they know he's the only one that will get hurt that day. If they try playing "heroes" that save the life of all parties, they start risking the lives of more and more people, completely unnecessarily.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #65
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    In this situation it seems just that
    No that is not what it seems like. Why would the police just open fire after waiting for a while? The man was obviously proving to be a threat either by moving to harm police officers or others around him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    I don't, I was rewriting what was posted to change the argument.

27. Post #67
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    Facepunch when police open fire on a suspect: "OMG POLICE BRUTALITY they should have tried tazing him first!!1111111111"

Facepunch when police use tazers on suspects: "OMG POLICE BRUTALITY tazers shouldn't be used! They're dangerous!"
    2-3 people != facepunch as a whole. besides i never see anyone crying police brutality
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 10Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

28. Post #68
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts
    I don't, I was rewriting what was posted to change the argument.
    Except its wrong because tazers are a fuckload different than pistols.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    8,227 Posts
    It's far more likely that he was high. The effects of some drugs can result in people shrugging off pain, even from bullets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

30. Post #70
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    2-3 people != facepunch as a whole. besides i never see anyone crying police brutality
    Then you must not read news section thread. Are you being serious right now? You never see people crying police brutality? What forum are you from?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    Except its wrong because tazers are a fuckload different than pistols.
    Well not really, as the attributes you posted can also be applied to pistols
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    December 2009
    7,494 Posts
    I can agree with that, less dead people is a good thing, after all. Anywho, it's quite possible that none of them had tasers, too. (Not sure about that, but food for thought).

I edited my post
    Snipped mine 'cause I'm a nice guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Please just stop. You don't know anything about tasers or firearms if you think the two function the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    1,641 Posts
    TAZERS ARE USED UP CLOSE, HE HAD A KNIFE.

Seriously dude.
    What? Tasers definitely have longer range than a knife. If he had a gun then that's another story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

35. Post #75
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts
    Uh...No.
    Not really.

If you shoot someone, they're probably going to feel the effects, and its probably going to work.

Also, bullets move a lot faster than tazers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #76
    >implications unpleasant
    June 2008
    11,000 Posts
    Then you must not read news section thread. Are you being serious right now? You never see people crying police brutality? What forum are you from?
    i read it plenty, i hardly see people whine police brutality when tazers or guns are used, only in that one rare thread where someone who shouldnt have been shot, got shot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Just do a fucking Google search or read a Wikipedia article on pistols and tasers and learn how they are different before posting your uninformed and blatantly wrong opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    May 2010
    17,947 Posts
    And by feel, if several guys shoot a guy in the chest multiple times, he's probably going to die.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    5,613 Posts
    Please just stop. You don't know anything about tasers or firearms if you think the two function the same.
    please tell me how

a weapon that might not work, needs to be fired from close range and isn't guaranteed to hit anyway.
    can be applied to tasers but not to pistols
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    2,020 Posts

Their job is to save lives.

Not risk the lives of themselves and several bystanders whenever they aren't in the mood for killing a lunatic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)