1. Post #81
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,181 Posts
    Hello guys, i'm lead level designer for this project. I have something i wanted to tell you all. For example my sketch that you see here. I don't see any problem with my sketches as far as environment designer understand it and can build a level out of it. It's same as previous examples of our work. This game isn't done yet and you are just posting things like "This mod will die". We all hoped that you, people from facepunch, can help us with this project, tell us what will be cool in the mod and what not. Some constructive critism not just your post about this mods death. Thank you for reading, Thomas Slovak.
    Hi I'm a mapper (i dont call myself a level designer or environment designer because im not a pretentious cunt) and I don't understand your sketch at all. You have no artistic vision when it comes to maps, its genuinely just a few roads surrounded by "buildnings". Your designs could be much more informative; what type of building is it? What props can be found? What is seen in the skybox? What scale are the features? Right now, if someone were to map based on your sketch, it could just be a load of black squares on the ground, because you're not descriptive at all.

Thank you for reading, muthafuckin D-O-Double-G.

Edited:

EDIT: To be perfectly honest it doesn't matter what is good or what is not-good, it matters about what works. Despite what you people think of Tomas or Tom's work, the point is it works. I am not made of money, if I wanted a professional doing this job it would cost a hefty sum, I'm not doing that. The way I am trying to get across to you is that we're not in this to make something extradoinary, we're in this to a mod/game that people can enjoy, you'll get haters everywhere, every-single-place on this God-forsaken Earth you will get a hater, se la vie.
    Well, what the fuck is the point in trying, like you said so much? There's no point working on a mod if you're not going to perfect it and make it good, and since you've posted it in places, you have to adapt to feedback from your potential players. With mods and games, yes it's good to try, but there's nothing worth trying for if you're not trying to make it as good as it can be.

Edited:

In the beginning I mean, in 1997 when Valve first launched, I know Gabe was earning a 6-figure salary in MS, but he still needed a publisher. I'm just using it as an example of how ambitious that game was and how it succeeded.
    You don't need a publisher. It's a mod for a game that has been published (many years ago, infact). You keep saying this mod will be super-ambitious, but you also say that you're not aiming to make it extraordinary or anything amazing. Which is it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #82

November 2008
    103 Posts
    Alyx's mom? Yeah.
    you're missing my point.

she's ASIAN, but her name is AZIAN.

wat
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

3. Post #83
    Gold Member
    July 2012
    3,810 Posts
    Hi I'm a mapper (i dont call myself a level designer or environment designer because im not a pretentious cunt) and I don't understand your sketch at all. You have no artistic vision when it comes to maps, its genuinely just a few roads surrounded by "buildnings". Your designs could be much more informative; what type of building is it? What props can be found? What is seen in the skybox? What scale are the features? Right now, if someone were to map based on your sketch, it could just be a load of black squares on the ground, because you're not descriptive at all.

Edited:

Well, what the fuck is the point in trying, like you said so much? There's no point working on a mod if you're not going to perfect it and make it good, and since you've posted it in places, you have to adapt to feedback from your potential players. With mods and games, yes it's good to try, but there's nothing worth trying for if you're not trying to make it as good as it can be.

Edited:

You don't need a publisher. It's a mod for a game that has been published (many years ago, infact). You keep saying this mod will be super-ambitious, but you also say that you're not aiming to make it extraordinary or anything amazing. Which is it?
    Stop bombarding them with questions, they're still a little early with their project and don't have any definite plans yet, and one of their team members decided to post a whole thread about it with no information, because it was too early to post information.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #84

February 2011
    14 Posts

Edited:

Edited:

I never said I need a publisher, I'm saying Gabe and VALVe had a hard time getting people to believe.

Not trying to make it perfect, no such thing as perfection, no such thing as a perfect mod, my aim is to please HL fans, and to make it a mod that somewhat does feel a good mod. I adapt to feedback, I always have adapted to feedback. I never have even been a fascist and said "you will do it my way, or the highway." If it is constructive criticism, I will take it. You're not giving constructive criticism man, you're bashing him. I do not like criticism, I like constructive criticism because you can get better with it, I actually despise criticism in a sense that of shredding and bashing people apart, it ain't cool and you don't get anywhere with it, though I respect your opinion of him, I think he's good enough. :). If you still persist to think that I know nothing about level design, then I do know a few level designers and they understand it enough to expand on that piece and to make it into something that can be a reality.

There is no pleasing people on Facepunch, I've already known this, if anything I would have hoped you would have not known about this mod before it had some good solid work done to it. I have nothing else to say than just stay tuned and see if you like it, look man... there is nothing to expand upon, the level design piece is fine for our level designer, he gives me the map, me and the level designer go on G-Mod and we give feedback, we say things we don't like, the mapper tells us what would be good here, what would be good there, I'll get onto it. It's just about finding something that works, if it doesn't work we'll scrap the idea, we had one level design piece but we scrapped it because it felt very restrictive and the inability to have free-will, I probably worded my sentence wrongly when saying it is ambitious, it is ambitious in a sense that a lot of people think that this mod has potential to be great, and it does... but you will have to see if it will work, if it does then cool. We are not going to move onto other chapters until this chapter has received adequate feedback from beta testers to see what they think of it, we will stick to the original plan of the story for the first chapter, and if I or any of the members of the team think it's a good idea to implement within the mod, then it'll be done.

Nothing else to say, apart from keeping an eye on the ModDB page and either laughing or hoping for it to succeed, I will continue the mod and see how it goes, I appreciate the people that hope for this mod to become of some use to HL fans, but if it doesn't then y'know shit happens.

EDIT: I am not coming back on here to discuss this any further, if you are interested in helping with this mod with anything whatsoever, give me an email via GTAPreviews@hotmail.co.uk.

Thanks and we will persevere to do something great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

5. Post #85
    Ask me about my Marvel/DC fetish
    May 2010
    17,907 Posts
    you're missing my point.

she's ASIAN, but her name is AZIAN.

wat
    Yes i know.

Its been like that for awhile now.

Edited:

There is no pleasing people on Facepunch, I've already known this, if anything I would have hoped you would have not known about this mod before it had some good solid work done to it. I have nothing else to say than just stay tuned and see if you like it, look man... there is nothing to expand upon, the level design piece is fine for our level designer, he gives me the map, me and the level designer go on G-Mod and we give feedback, we say things we don't like, the mapper tells us what would be good here, what would be good there, I'll get onto it. It's just about finding something that works, if it doesn't work we'll scrap the idea, we had one level design piece but we scrapped it because it felt very restrictive and the inability to have free-will, I probably worded my sentence wrongly when saying it is ambitious, it is ambitious in a sense that a lot of people think that this mod has potential to be great, and it does... but you will have to see if it will work, if it does then cool. We are not going to move onto other chapters until this chapter has received adequate feedback from beta testers to see what they think of it, we will stick to the original plan of the story for the first chapter, and if I or any of the members of the team think it's a good idea to implement within the mod, then it'll be done..

Im pretty sure everything everyone has said is because you have literally nothing to show.

Edited:

Except some...strange concept arts and poorly translated..erm...whatever those were.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #86

February 2012
    136 Posts
    I added.

May I also add VALVe were having a very hard time finding a publisher to finance and publish their project, this is a bit like this. I bet a lot of the publishers were finding HL a dumb game which would never ever see the light of day, well we all know how that turned out now don't we? ;).
    I dont think anyone thought HL was going to be a bad game.
    its not like you're building or even modifying the engine, the source engine is incredibly robust, and refined. you're just making a story.
    this mod does interest me, however it has all the signs that point to failure. I still wish you the best of luck with it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #87
    April 2011
    1,351 Posts
    What does a free mod have to do with publishers? And VALVe doesn't even need publishers. They make 50 million USD a year with TF2.
    Yeah with all the people buying the keys, wanting new hats. Anyways this mod looks interesting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    November 2008
    688 Posts
    Yeah with all the people buying the keys, wanting new hats. Anyways this mod looks interesting.
    if you find corpses interesting, yeah why not
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Czech Republic Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

9. Post #89
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #90
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,181 Posts
    Right I know this is old, and you have probably moved on from this. But I used to map a bit and after quickly scanning the picture.

1. The textures are misaligned, dev textures are made so you can align them to most brushes. If you can't you are using too small a grid.
    2. Ugly standard skybox, I know you just started but come on.
    3. It looks like you don't even have nodraw textures.
    4. You aren't even using the right floor dev textures. Everyone has their own preference but crates? Really?
    5. The map is just confusing to look at, even if they have dev textures, most people can at least say city, bunker, sewer or something of the like. This just doesn't have any coherent style.
    6. No lighting, it really isn't that hard to put basic lighting in.
    7. It isn't even near finished, this is not presentation quality; even for a dev map.
    dude what

its showing off alyx holding the crowbar

nobody does those things in dev maps when theyre just quickly showing off something like this

Edited:

most of your points are invalid anyway

Edited:

fuck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #91
    Fuck I thought it was showing off the map.

Sorry, I should go to sleep, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #92
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    9,817 Posts
    the only thing i can seriously criticize about that pic is the fact that hes using the outdated low poly 2004 hl2 alyx for the view model rather than the updated ones from the 2010 update
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #93
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,181 Posts
    Fuck I thought it was showing off the map.

Sorry, I should go to sleep, sorry.
    too late
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

14. Post #94
    dude what

its showing off alyx holding the crowbar

nobody does those things in dev maps when theyre just quickly showing off something like this

Edited:

most of your points are invalid anyway

Edited:

fuck
    If they just wanted to show off the crowbar, they could use the model-viewer, its quicker.
    And I (As well as a LOT of the mappers) align our devtextures, hell; I usually make maps just to test new textures, because it PAYS to do it.

Most of his points are fairly valid.

too late
    Calm down man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #95
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,181 Posts

Calm down man.
    im not being serious
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

16. Post #96
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    1,624 Posts
    this mod is looking excellent

Edited:

for me to poop on
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 10Zing x 1Winner x 1Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista France Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #98
    Fuck Arnold Palmer
    April 2011
    8,675 Posts
    this mod looked bad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

19. Post #99
    July 2012
    3,493 Posts
    IF IT'S NOT ON THE FIRST PAGE, IT'S DEAD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #100

April 2011
    302 Posts
    It's dead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply France Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

21. Post #101
    IPK
    August 2012
    2,341 Posts
    Oh well dead. Sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

22. Post #102
    December 2012
    1,393 Posts
    where's the dropbox
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    1,876 Posts
    I added.

May I also add VALVe were having a very hard time finding a publisher to finance and publish their project, this is a bit like this. I bet a lot of the publishers were finding HL a dumb game which would never ever see the light of day, well we all know how that turned out now don't we? ;).
    sorry that's just the single most egotistical statement i've ever seen from a modmaker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    6,981 Posts
    sorry that's just the single most egotistical statement i've ever seen from a modmaker.
    shut up, roger, you just lack vision!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 8 (list)