1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,232 Posts
    My brother apparently downloaded some random file called, "Borderlands" and it was a virus (No surprise there). I did the stupid HP OS recovery thing, and it reformatted the computer back to its factory settings. It worked fine after a while, and after a hard reboot, it black screened like it did before.

I then tried the HP recovery program again, but it became corrupted and when the computer rebooted, it gave the, "Bootmgr was not found" error. So I just grabbed a Windows 7 Home Premium disc, and reformatted using that.

Like before, it worked for a little while, but after a reboot (Not sure if it was a soft or hard reboot), it black screened again... When I tried to reformat using the disc, it got stuck on the, "Setup is starting" screen, and froze there.

I just gave up at that point, and decided to take it to my friend's IT department, and he managed to install the OS again (This time, I used a Windows 7 Professional disc I got through Microsoft Dreamspark). It worked but again, when I did a soft shutdown, it black screened again.

I'm thinking it is a failing Hard drive, personally. Could it be a boot sector virus?

2. Post #2
    Karen Gillan <3
    April 2006
    3,528 Posts
    At what point does it black screen? Have you tried taking off the side panel and feeling the hard disk to see if it's still spinning?

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    5,866 Posts
    HEy, this is similar to an error I get at an increasing. Same here, the computer screen just goes black without warning. If I was playing anything, the sound usually goes KKKHRRRRRRHHHKHKRHRR too, and then... Nothing happens till I reboot. And then when I reboot, it happens in the middle of booting. Sometimes I have to reboot the computer five times till I finally get to desktop. At first I was sure the hard disk is the culprit (it IS ripe with bad disk errors after less than a year of usage, so I dunno, maybe some fairies are touching magnets to it while I sleep, I don't know), but I'm starting to think the blackouts are caused by some other component.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,232 Posts
    At what point does it black screen? Have you tried taking off the side panel and feeling the hard disk to see if it's still spinning?
    I know it's spinning, and the BIOS detects the hard drive.

It sits at a black screen right after the BIOS and POST finish loading. Like if there wasn't an OS installed on the computer.