1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts

While similar to Spacebuild 2 in style, Horizon is a whole different animal. Built from the ground up, Horizon uses its own resource networking & environment
    system, which is both lightweight and easy to use for those who have played similar gamemodes.

Features

Life Support

Horizon features a tiered life support system. The basic devices available at the start will get you started, but you will have to explore new worlds to harvest
    the minerals and resources you'll need to truly thrive!

Fully Featured Mining System

Mining is a core aspect of Horizon, and is critical to your offworld survival. Basic life support devices are freely available but are limited- you will have to
    return to your homeworld to resupply. Advanced devices will allow you to build sustainable habitats on alien worlds (and even the depths of space), but they
    require special resources & minerals in order to be constructed. You must explore to locate these valuable resources, harvesting from harsh planets and locating
    rare asteroids- and defend from players who would steal your ore!

Crafting & Upgrades

What good is ore if you can't build stuff from it? Horizon's crafting system allows you to build more advanced equipment from the ore that you harvest. By
    locating rare artifacts and special ore you will also be able to construct upgrade modules, which will allow you to modify existing devices to increase storage,
    speed up generators, and more!

Mapper Friendly!

Horizon uses a custom .fgd for mapping, so adding environments is a breeze! Just map your planet, place the hzn_environment entity down and customize the
    planet using simple drop-down boxes! it couldn't be simpler! Brush-Based environments are available as well, making it easy to customize the environment of
    your structures

Compatibility
    As Horizon uses its own resource network & environment systems, existing maps & entities that function under Spacebuild & Resource Distribution will
    NOT function. Not to worry! I've made it so adding Horizon compatibility to an entity is quick and easy, and I will be porting over several of the old SB2&3
    maps, as well as creating new ones! I will make public at release all instructions required make an entity compatible with Horizon.

Screenshots & Videos

Mining System:

More information and screenshots/video to come. Visit the project's Steam Group :

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/horizongamemode

Development Snapshots

I have begun releasing preview snapshots of Horizon. You can download the latest snapshot here:

Current version is 0.5.0

SVN: https://github.com/zoomsquirrels/Horizon/trunk

Remember to delete your Horizon folder BEFORE updating!

Please keep in mind that the gamemode is still incomplete, and I will be updating these snapshots as development progresses. Comments, suggestions and bug reports are welcome!

Mapping Kit

Build your own Horizon maps! Includes the .fgd required to place environments (hzn_environment) and several planet templates.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62115676/ho...apping_kit.zip

Be sure to add an env_sun entity to your map or the solar panels will not work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 73Lua King x 27Agree x 2Artistic x 2Friendly x 2Lua Helper x 1Funny x 1Dumb x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2009
    1,656 Posts
    Whoa that looks awesome, this is what I've always wanted in a spacebuild type gamemode!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

3. Post #3
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,829 Posts
    Wow, this looks amazing, I can't wait to see more of this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,587 Posts
    looks damn need, good work!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2011
    44 Posts
    So it is basically spacebuild with other models? How will it play differently?

Looking good though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    118 Posts
    Hmm, I see that you have the energy and probably other resources update their values quite quickly

7. Post #7
    June 2011
    529 Posts
    Uhm, I think a Steam group would be more suitable rather than a Facebook page.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    Most people are kids that don't want to reveal their age so they won't join a facebook group. Or they just want privacy and don't want to release their real identity. I'd make a steam group if I were you.

Is there a planned release for this? Or a WIP release? I'd like to play this it looks good.

King'd
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,861 Posts
    So lifesupport is tied directly into the gamemode rather than an addon? Seems better than current Spacebuild that requires the addon as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10

January 2012
    131 Posts
    This looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait to play this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    So lifesupport is tied directly into the gamemode rather than an addon? Seems better than current Spacebuild that requires the addon as well.
    Yep. I didn't see the point in keeping them separate. It also has the added benefit of not loading any of my scripts when the gamemode isn't active- that way it doesn't interfere with your game when you're not playing Horizon.

I've updated the OP with the steam group link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/horizongamemode
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    Random asteroid spawn test.... I think I oughta crank it down a bit :/

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny x 25Lua King x 2Winner x 2Disagree x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,861 Posts
    Yep. I didn't see the point in keeping them separate. It also has the added benefit of not loading any of my scripts when the gamemode isn't active- that way it doesn't interfere with your game when you're not playing Horizon.

I've updated the OP with the steam group link: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/horizongamemode
    Goodo :D If you need help with coding, feel free to contact me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    Asteroids!

Asteroids present a fun new gameplay mechanic to Horizon. Spawning in random locations, they will drift around the map until they are mined for their ore, or collide with a planet. The smallest asteroids are the ore chunks that you will be harvesting, and can be stored in a mineral crate the same way as planetary minerals. If an ore chunk drifts into a planet's environment, it will burn up in the atmosphere. Medium sized asteroids are the most common, and can be broken into ore chunks with a mining laser. If these collide with a planet, they will explode- killing nearby players and destroying nearby props. On collision there will be a random chance to find one or two ore chunks. Large asteroids are the rarest- and also the most dangerous. Large asteroids drift slowly across the map. They can be split into medium asteroids with mining lasers, however it will take significantly more time and energy to break them. If a large asteroid collides with a planet, watch out! All players and props on the planet will be destroyed, and if the planet is habitable there will be a small chance that the atmosphere will be disabled for a short time. Not to worry though- the chances of armageddon are slim, and planetary shields can be built... for a price.

Some will like this feature, some will not. I will include a convar that will allow you to disable planet killers for those that choose to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    I'd be careful with the colliding thing if I were you, at least to begin with.

One thing to keep in mind is that in an established system, everything that can collide has already collided. Millions of years ago.
    However, this doesn't mean that a player couldn't make an asteroid crash into a planet. Everything is possible with enough thrusters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,861 Posts
    If they're not very big they should burn up into smaller parts when entering the atmosphere.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    I'd be careful with the colliding thing if I were you, at least to begin with.

One thing to keep in mind is that in an established system, everything that can collide has already collided. Millions of years ago.
    However, this doesn't mean that a player couldn't make an asteroid crash into a planet. Everything is possible with enough thrusters.
    Yeah, I definitely see the potential for abuse there. I was thinking of making it so they can't be physgunned or toolgunned, preventing players from directly crashing them into stuff
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,663 Posts
    This looks incredible! is there any chance of Linux support? I have a linux server i'd love to run spacebuild on but can't - if this is compatible with linux, i'd be thrilled!

Edit:
    Plus it'd become more popular because I believe a lot of servers are linux hosted
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    Yeah, I definitely see the potential for abuse there. I was thinking of making it so they can't be physgunned or toolgunned, preventing players from directly crashing them into stuff
    It's epic. I love spacebuild and this is my dream gamemode. Asteroids... Just awesome. To prevent abuse, use the physgun hooks or maybe the entities' endtouch hook to remove any props held with the physgun when out of the atmosphere. Also another suggestion, dissallow physugn in space. Generally make it hard to survive. I mean in the current space build I accelerate using noclip and pass from planet to planet without refilling my oxygen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    Anyone good with effects? I could use a good explosion effect for asteroid collisions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    Anyone good with effects? I could use a good explosion effect for asteroid collisions.
    Make it have a nova effect I love those things.

Btw as for physgunning natural things like asteroids.. You definitely need to make it so users can't physgun or toolgun anything like that. Instead maybe make some sort of on-ship weapon or something to like gravity pull and asteroid or something like that. idk.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,663 Posts
    Tractor beams!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Lua Helper Lua Helper x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts

More testing of the asteroid spawner. There are WAY more asteroids here than you'll see at one time in game- I bumped up the spawn rate to make sure asteroids are spawning correctly, plus I haven't implemented a cap on the total number of asteroids allowed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9 (list)

24. Post #24
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    Any chance of you scripting some sort of asteroid belt that has a chance to form, it'd be like dangerous to navigate but it'd have a lot of ore in it? just an idea.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

25. Post #25
    Use SuperLlama's map repeater to make inf maps or at least, bigger ones.
    I hate the small maps of gmod in spacebuild. You build a ship and for the time you take of you're already hiting the skybox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Use SuperLlama's map repeater to make inf maps or at least, bigger ones.
    I hate the small maps of gmod in spacebuild. You build a ship and for the time you take of you're already hiting the skybox.
    I think he would, if it actually worked. SuperLlama has other things to do, he hasn't had time to iron out the bugs.

27. Post #27
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,663 Posts
    I'm so excited for this, i've been religiously checking this thread - spacebuild has been my favorite gamemode ever since I started playing GMod, and this just makes it 100x cooler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    1,861 Posts
    Are you going to make different levels of gravity for each planet? As depending on the size of a planet the gravity strength differs.

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    Are you going to make different levels of gravity for each planet? As depending on the size of a planet the gravity strength differs.
    Yep! It's not based on planet size, but gravity can be specified in Hammer.

Edit:

Some screenshots on the Hammer side of things.. for those of you who have mapped for Spacebuild, this is much less of a pain in the ass:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 8 (list)

30. Post #30
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,663 Posts
    I know it's probably nowhere near done and whatnot, but do you have any idea of a ballpark estimate for a release date?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    511 Posts
    I know it's probably nowhere near done and whatnot, but do you have any idea of a ballpark estimate for a release date?
    I don't think it's too far off. The lua stuff is mostly done- there's some bugs to squash, but the major systems are in place. Models will be what holds up release, I think- it takes me forever to do models & textures. If someone wants to lend a hand with them, that should speed things up considerably.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,092 Posts
    Awesome!

33. Post #33
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,663 Posts
    I don't think it's too far off. The lua stuff is mostly done- there's some bugs to squash, but the major systems are in place. Models will be what holds up release, I think- it takes me forever to do models & textures. If someone wants to lend a hand with them, that should speed things up considerably.
    Awesome!
    If you need a server to test server stuff on, I could try to use my server- I don't know how Horizon would work with Linux though

34. Post #34
    I hate US Marines
    July 2009
    4,233 Posts
    I love you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    July 2006
    4 Posts
    Asteroids!

Asteroids present a fun new gameplay mechanic to Horizon. Spawning in random locations, they will drift around the map until they are mined for their ore, or collide with a planet. The smallest asteroids are the ore chunks that you will be harvesting, and can be stored in a mineral crate the same way as planetary minerals. If an ore chunk drifts into a planet's environment, it will burn up in the atmosphere. Medium sized asteroids are the most common, and can be broken into ore chunks with a mining laser. If these collide with a planet, they will explode- killing nearby players and destroying nearby props. On collision there will be a random chance to find one or two ore chunks. Large asteroids are the rarest- and also the most dangerous. Large asteroids drift slowly across the map. They can be split into medium asteroids with mining lasers, however it will take significantly more time and energy to break them. If a large asteroid collides with a planet, watch out! All players and props on the planet will be destroyed, and if the planet is habitable there will be a small chance that the atmosphere will be disabled for a short time. Not to worry though- the chances of armageddon are slim, and planetary shields can be built... for a price.

Some will like this feature, some will not. I will include a convar that will allow you to disable planet killers for those that choose to.
    Will there be a system in place to stop an asteroid spawning on a player/players ship as this could cause some serious issues, Just thought id ask to check and to see if you had thought of this.

So far though this mod is looking amazing! If you need a testing server i have both Windows and Linux servers your are more than welcome to use.

36. Post #36
    Please, make it work with Superllama's map repeater.

37. Post #37
    Oda
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    113 Posts
    SICK

38. Post #38
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    Hey I don't think this has been directly answered, are you releasing this to the public, or are you just going to host it to play to the public.

39. Post #39
    Hey I don't think this has been directly answered, are you releasing this to the public, or are you just going to host it to play to the public.
    I would make no sense to keep this gamemode private.
    No one wants to play in a spacebuild server with 30 players, just think about the performance with 5 players on SB3 (and what lags are thos million props).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,529 Posts
    This isn't SB3, so you cannot compare performance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)