1. Post #121
    November 2007
    78 Posts
    Not a fan of spacebuild myself, but has potential.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    August 2012
    313 Posts
    All I have to say is holy shit, I was getting a tad bored with gmod and what I really really missed was a form of SB. I can't wait till I get in my ship take off from a planet and get smacked in the face with an asteroid. I sir can now die happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #123
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    A form of stasis or cryogenic freezing would be really cool!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    April 2008
    1,471 Posts
    I know I have heard of this gamemode before and I loved the concept. Are there anymore videos/pictures because I remember there were some more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

5. Post #125
    September 2012
    96 Posts
    I know I have heard of this gamemode before and I loved the concept. Are there anymore videos/pictures because I remember there were some more.
    Go ask on the Steam Group, I bet he would post them up if you asked over steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    March 2008
    1,606 Posts
    Hey if you need a server for testing at all I'll be glad to provide use of my one(Thanks Darksoul), it's only 8 slot but I imagine for testing purposes that should be enough. If you do contact me on steam and I'll add you as a subuser on the cpanel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    September 2012
    3 Posts
    I really think you should open up development for other people. Just put your stuff on github so we can have a look and maybe provide some usefull additions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Agree Agree x 4Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    July 2010
    1,710 Posts
    At first i thought this would be somewhat pointless, but then i realized that, say if combat were enabled and your hull was breached. Entering the cryogenic stasis tube would prevent death. Mebbe if distress beacons were enabled, you could wait for help. For this to be encouraged, death should have a consequence in some way though. (option for admin?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    At first i thought this would be somewhat pointless, but then i realized that, say if combat were enabled and your hull was breached. Entering the cryogenic stasis tube would prevent death. Mebbe if distress beacons were enabled, you could wait for help. For this to be encouraged, death should have a consequence in some way though. (option for admin?)
    true. the consequence could be like the consequences of death in RP. you have a new life completely. you have to find a new alliance to join until death and can't speak about the previous life or join the previous alliance. if you kill yourself, you can't join any alliance until you've lived for so long and died in battle.

10. Post #130

November 2011
    22 Posts
    Just gotta say, New Worlds is what got me playing gmod in the first place. gm_construct in gmod 13 is the most beautiful gaming experience I've ever had, even before spawning props. I know your new maps are going to be breathtaking, and it's amazing to see a dev-started Spacebuild-ish topic that wasn't made 3 years ago. I'm dying to build something that actually flies for once.

Unrelated, is Search disabled for everyone? I feel like my account is in guest mode due to inactivity and it makes it very hard to find things I actually want to read :/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    November 2005
    168 Posts
    This seems fairly similar to a gamemode I tried out a while back called Frontier. Perhaps the team working on this gamemode wants to actually release something like this since Frontier never was. I was actually hoping there would be a group to do something like this. It's actually a stable space gamemode with elements that don't grow stale.

12. Post #132
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Dennab
    April 2010
    323 Posts
    Unrelated, is Search disabled for everyone? I feel like my account is in guest mode due to inactivity and it makes it very hard to find things I actually want to read :/
    Search is a gold member-only feature, it seems.

I hope this gamemode goes far. Spacebuild 2 was what brought me to the point of starting a steam account and buying garry's mod and every valve-owned game four years ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

13. Post #133

July 2007
    17 Posts
    I sure hope this is compatible with Linux
    if not screw it then i'll make a windows home server for it, thats how badly I want to play it
    What general area do you reside in? I'd really like to play on your server when this gets released.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #134
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,699 Posts
    I believe the server is based out of Houston, credit to Darksoul for the server (he is a bro)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    258 Posts
    Frontier had two amazing features, visible space helmet and those sexy ass wires.

A question about a machine, wouldn't it be possible to have a certain part of the mining drill eject the ore? This would make it far easier to build systems for moving the ore around, like a laundry cart on a rail for instance could work.

A thing to keep in mind: I can't tell from those images, but I hope you don't go overboard with polygon counts and texture sizes for the objects, so many people do this, and it doesn't make it look better. Good design makes things look good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Frontier had two amazing features, visible space helmet and those sexy ass wires.
    This part of your post severely lacks a dash.

I do agree with you on the "eject from a certain part". Sounds fairly important. That way, conveyor belts become more plausible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #137
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Dennab
    April 2010
    323 Posts
    This part of your post severely lacks a dash.
    Relevant XKCD:
    http://xkcd.com/37/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    PAST TENSE DIG
    October 2007
    7,699 Posts
    Like mentioned above, I think it'd be really interesting to have a distress beacon in the future, would really add to things instead of spamming chat with "OMG HELP!!!!1!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #139

September 2010
    8 Posts
    It's been pretty quite 'round here. Any updates? I know it's not dead. At least, I really hope so!

20. Post #140
    Dennab
    March 2010
    338 Posts
    It's been pretty quite 'round here. Any updates? I know it's not dead. At least, I really hope so!
    Three days doesn't mean the thread is dead :P

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    520 Posts
    Definitely not dead. Just a little set back due to...uh....Borderlands... O_O
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #142

September 2010
    8 Posts
    Yeah, I can understand that. And I said I know it's not dead. I'm not sure why I said that in the first place. seems redundant in hindsight. Oh well. Crappy spacebuild with no 'noclip' it is then. For now...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    520 Posts
    Yeah, I can understand that. And I said I know it's not dead. I'm not sure why I said that in the first place. seems redundant in hindsight. Oh well. Crappy spacebuild with no 'noclip' it is then. For now...
    noclip can be enabled, you know?

24. Post #144
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    maybe there can be a system that turns any resource into a solid state for easier shipping

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    2,150 Posts
    Make a sort of suspended animation for prisoners or transportation of people. Even if it is just a pod that has a wire lock and a model.

26. Post #146
    July 2011
    454 Posts
    Make a sort of suspended animation for prisoners or transportation of people. Even if it is just a pod that has a wire lock and a model.
    i've said this before.

27. Post #147
    May 2010
    129 Posts
    I very mutch like the fact that I don't see any of those stupid resource nodes form ls3.
    Will you be adding resource pumps like in ls2?

Also If you could make it Stargate mod compatible (CAP) that would be super awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    390 Posts
    /checks back everyday for download link or svn
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    124 Posts
    I've spent a lot of my life on spacebuild, and this sounds great. Just want to know if it has these kinds of features.

With asteroid mining, do resources mined actually go into a container or something automatically?
    Can resources be pumped between containers only using wire? (automated systems for life)

Really they are my two biggest questions.

Anyway this looks absolutely amazing, and hoping you will finish it after my exams haha.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    390 Posts
    With asteroid mining, do resources mined actually go into a container or something automatically?
    I'm assuming what you are talking about is the ability to hook up a wire or transport pipe of some sort to transfer materials from the miner to a storage device automatically, rather than have to place them into a storage device manually like shown in the video. I agree and disagree with this. Away from traditional spacebuild simplicity I think having to create a conveyor or shuttle system would be more fun and challenging than just being able to hook everything up with wires. "Transport rocks through what looks like copper cables?" No thanks. Creating a conveyor or automatic shuttle with wire or something similar would be awesome.

Having said that, maybe implementing both and allow an admin to toggle use of material transport wires for the simple minded

Can resources be pumped between containers only using wire? (automated systems for life)
    Now THIS idea I agree with, saying you have said "rockish" material already in a storage device, I don't think transporting materials through wires would be terrible, considering having to take said material out of a storage container, transport it using a system explained above, and put it into another container would be somewhat redundant...or...challenging, maybe it's a good idea, heck I don't know. It would certainly be more realistic, but we are of course talking of a space gamemode with mining lasers so..it goes both ways.

tl:dr (kindof)

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I'm ready for a challenging spacebuild gamemode, that requires actual time and effort to get resources and better materials, and having to create complex yet efficient systems for transporting materials. Even with SB3, getting water onto another planet could have been as easy as sending a huge wire across the universe, instead I made a robot to capture and store water that brought it back, with self sustaining energy, automatic shutoff, and automatic movement. I'm ready for a challenge, not something easy that I have to MAKE challenging to make it entertaining. No more super nodes right off the bat, no more 8 million units of water in the first 10 minutes of a game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

31. Post #151
    March 2009
    1,318 Posts
    "Transport rocks through what looks like copper cables?" No thanks.
    All good points, but I don't want to see resource wires disappear entirely, mid space refuels with wires and plugs was one of the most fun aspects of spacebuild. I agree that transferring rocks with wires doesn't make sense though
    on the topic of challenging, i'd love it if fuel was implemented better - in spacebuild the only thing you'd have to worry about was life support resources rather than getting from A to B meaning anyone could cruise across the map to the furthest planet away without much worry. Implementing fuel needs or energy requirements for gyros would bring another layer of depth to resource management as well as make refuels more viable and getting stranded more common (which i'd actually enjoy seeing as rescue missions can be pretty fun).

Also zero gravity movement in gmod by default is pretty shit to be honest - you make one wrong step and suddenly you're slowly floating away from some random airlock with no way to get back, so it'd be great if some form of jetpack with limited fuel or even a tether/life support cord to manoeuvre on the outside of your ship with would be helpful, I think this was mentioned earlier in the thread with upgrades

This seems fairly similar to a gamemode I tried out a while back called Frontier. Perhaps the team working on this gamemode wants to actually release something like this since Frontier never was. I was actually hoping there would be a group to do something like this. It's actually a stable space gamemode with elements that don't grow stale.
    I thought they were aiming to release for Gmod 13, so hopefully they'll pop up with something this month or next, I had my eye on that mod too

32. Post #152
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    520 Posts
    Question 1: Nope. When mining asteroids, you'll actually blast the rocks apart with the mining laser, and you'll have to collect the fragments and place them in a container the same as if you were mining for rocks on a planet. Not an easy task in space, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. You're a smart bunch ;)

Question 2: There will be a resource pump, similar to that found in SB2.

33. Post #153
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    520 Posts
    BTW: I will begin releasing development snapshots in the next week or so. I will also release Horizon's .fgd and a demo .vmf for mappers to begin building their own Horizon maps.

PLEASE keep in mind that while these snapshots will be mostly playable they will NOT be the complete gamemode, and as such they will be missing A LOT OF STUFF. The goal of these releases will be to provide feedback on gameplay, resource balancing, bugs, and so on.

I'm also looking to expand the team a bit... to, you know, more than just me. I'm looking for modellers & mappers, and possibly a sound effects guy. Message me here on Facepunch with screenshots of your work if you're interested.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

34. Post #154
    January 2012
    425 Posts
    Random asteroid spawn test.... I think I oughta crank it down a bit :/

i see errors
    and errors
    AND ERRORS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    June 2011
    792 Posts
    So what?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Greece Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #156
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    124 Posts
    Question 1: Nope. When mining asteroids, you'll actually blast the rocks apart with the mining laser, and you'll have to collect the fragments and place them in a container the same as if you were mining for rocks on a planet. Not an easy task in space, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. You're a smart bunch ;)

Question 2: There will be a resource pump, similar to that found in SB2.
    If you could make it so I could pick up the rocks with a grabber from wiremod (or something of your own) then automated systems are go.

The only problem with that is, quite often with prop protection systems, it stops players from being able to pick up world entities (which I what I assume the rocks are) with the grabber or physgun. I would really like it if you made it player entities.

I just watched the video (I tend not to watch videos as they use internet and I dont have much of it) and DAM, this looks sweet.

New sound effects would be awesome as well.

Other thing is, are all the sound effects able to be turned off with wire like in SB3? Because that is a god send.

This looks like it is going to make me get right back into gmod again.

Another thing, are gyros going to be implemented? Because they are fucking brilliant.

37. Post #157

November 2011
    22 Posts
    Half related, but someone needs to fix SBEP.
    Dumb thing can't spawn simple SW hulls. Or is that just me? It's really kind of critical though, gryos are the way to go for space travel. Hoverballs are cheating in spacebuild, imo.

on the topic of challenging, i'd love it if fuel was implemented better - in spacebuild the only thing you'd have to worry about was life support resources rather than getting from A to B meaning anyone could cruise across the map to the furthest planet away without much worry. Implementing fuel needs or energy requirements for gyros would bring another layer of depth to resource management as well as make refuels more viable
    I play on a server that already has that :)

38. Post #158
    March 2009
    1,318 Posts
    I play on a server that already has that :)
    ah cool, what plugin/addon is it? could you ask

39. Post #159
    February 2011
    39 Posts
    Great Concept Bynari!
    Nice...Nice...

I would like to be a part of your steam group if you could find your way to inviting me...
    My steam name is: shawnmd

Also, I have a Windows Server 2012 you could use with very good stats (speed, connection, FastDL, private box) if you needed to really test the game mode out on multiplayer.
    We're the same server community jackarunda tested his sweps out on. And Yeah, we don't charge anything of course.

Just throwing that out there... ;)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

40. Post #160
    March 2009
    304 Posts
    Are there any plans to keep terraforming in this new gamemode? I'm not talking about silly things like admin tools or blanketing a whole planet with a climate regulator; one of the things I liked about SB3 was the ability to modify the composition of atmospheres. Yes, it could be abused - I'm sure everyone here has seen someone vent an entire atmosphere before - but it also opened up the potential to allow players to engineer habitable planets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)