1. Post #1
    April 2011
    2,876 Posts
    Source: Link

Todd Akin, a Tea Party Republican six-term U.S. Congressman who is now running for the U.S. Senate from the state of Missouri, says that women’s bodies know if they are “legitimate rape” victims and automatically can just “shut down” a resulting unwanted pregnancy — so there’s no need to even discuss abortion in cases of rape.

Asked about abortion in cases of rape, Rep. Akin responded, “From what I understand from doctors… if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Congressman Akin was appearing on a local St. Louis Fox station talk show (second video, about four minutes in.)

Akin, 65, clearly is opposed to a women’s right to choose, is running against Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill.

So, let’s be clear here. If Congressman Akin becomes Senator Akin, he will be voting on Supreme Court nominees — not to mention many nominations of federal judges. No doubt at some point he would be voting on ENDA, and the repeal of DOMA.
    What a fucking idiot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 186Funny x 43Artistic x 1Disagree x 1Informative x 1Late x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    You can't make this shit up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 109Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,459 Posts
    You can't make this shit up.
    he just did...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Zing x 127Agree x 3Funny x 2Informative x 1Winner x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    oh my god.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

5. Post #5
    Facepunch Babysitter
    July 2009
    12,429 Posts
    Todd Akin, a Tea Party Republican
    I believe I found the problem, we can't let this guy become a Senator.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 120 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    764 Posts
    He meant to say that only batshit insane people could come to that conclusion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    October 2011
    1,747 Posts
    woah i didnt know women could do this! whats the point of abortion if they can just shut down their pregnancies. amazing

romney 2012
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    April 2011
    2,876 Posts
    woah i didnt know women could do this! whats the point of abortion if they can just shut down their pregnancies. amazing

romney 2012
    Also what is the point of fearing rape if you don't get pregnant. Everyone should rape now with these new findings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 53Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,343 Posts
    ....Put him a shower and leave him there for a week.

HYPOTHERMIA.

10. Post #10
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,095 Posts
    What the fuck is going on in American science classes? It's like none of them have ever taken a basic biology class.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 100Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,502 Posts
    ....Put him a shower and leave him there for a week.

HYPOTHERMIA.
    No. The body knows if it's in a shower and automatically stops pregnancies and hypothermia.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 100Informative Informative x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    how are these people in charge of us

i dont get how thats possible we literally live in a weird satirized version of america you would see in an independent comedy film, except this is all real and this guy is actually deciding how people can live their lives
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 118Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    May 2010
    1,964 Posts
    I was about to say that someone should rape his wife and see what happens and then I realized that that is a fucking terrible thing to say and I should feel really bad.

So I'll just say that this is the funniest and dumbest thing I've read all week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,343 Posts
    No. The body knows if it's in a shower and automatically stops pregnancies and hypothermia.

FUCK YOU REPUBLICAN SCIENCE!

FUCK YOU!

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,192 Posts
    How can politicians be this god damn stupid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

16. Post #16
    Haunted by a dark and stupid past
    December 2009
    3,244 Posts
    What the fuck is going on in American science classes? It's like none of them have ever taken a basic biology class.
    These people aren't just stupid. Their mind dismisses facts that contradict their political ideology and replaces them with new ones. We call these people "insane".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 12Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    August 2009
    2,875 Posts
    Ladies and gentlemen, a man who is not qualified to work at a 7/11, let alone run a country.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 47Zing Zing x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    September 2011
    799 Posts
    It's rather terrifying that someone who knows so little about the issue has any input on it at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

19. Post #19
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    Also what is the point of fearing rape if you don't get pregnant. Everyone should rape now with these new findings.
    Ummm, pregnancy isnt the only reason people fear rape. There's the emotional abuse, the fact that they're being used, and sometimes the feelings of betrayal if the rapist was someone they trusted. Those subjects alone barely even scratch the tip of the iceberg.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 15Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    What the fuck is wrong with american politics? Well, western politics in general but america seems to be the worst offender.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    Mon
    April 2011
    4,102 Posts
    What the fuck is wrong with american politics? Well, western politics in general but america seems to be the worst offender.
    too much ideology and not enough critical thinking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,384 Posts
    What the absolute fuck is wrong with people? How does this insane amount of stupid exist at such an echelon? The sheer buttfuck ridiculous levels of utter retardation that still exists in society horrifies me. It seems as long as you've got enough money and networking skills, you can buy your way into anything, regardless of how braindead you quite transparently are. I am not a violent man but I would very much like to kidnap and then beat this tumourous spunkrag in the kidneys with an oak branch until he pisses blood. Seriously, fuck this guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Show Events Artistic Artistic x 11Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,197 Posts
    I'd love if a rape victim sat down and had a chat with him, would be a very interesting conversation might I add
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    16,343 Posts
    Wait a minute.

OH SHIT.

NAZIES!NAZIES!THISISAINVOCATIONOFGODWIN'SLAWBECAUS EITSTRUE!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    December 2009
    4,604 Posts
    The body knows if it's on Fox News and has ways to spout bullshit as a defense mechanism.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 27Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,828 Posts
    This is some Conservapedia level bullshit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2012
    489 Posts
    ...My brain hurts now. I can't comprehend this level of stupidity.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,810 Posts
    Wow, I bet he thinks that God engineered that. The concept of a woman's body being able to prevent pregnancy when subject to rape does not adhere to applications of modern science.

If there were an "app" for the human body that did that, like some sort of biomechanical process based off of organic nanotechnology, that'd be a decent form of insurance, but aside from technologies that probably aren't even currently in existence, it is not possible for a woman's body to shut down their reproductive organs by detecting it is being raped. Sure, a victim can know they're being raped, it's hard to not know it's happening unless you've entered a catatonic state or have been drugged, but the human body itself probably can't distinguish between rape and consenting sex; so long as a sperm cell reaches an egg and manages to successfully get embedded in that uteral lining of blood and stuff, gestation can commence and pregnancy occurs.

Personally, I believe that life begins with consciousness for the most part, with consciousness beginning with the first interactions between neurons, and terminating consciousness is a bad thing; if the pregnancy is terminated before consciousness starts to crackle and buzz between the little grey cells, then it's more or less ok, since it's just meat and does not yet have awareness. The second consciousness starts, abortion is not an option; it is the premature termination of a story that was being written.

All in all, my stance on the abortion issue is that aborting the lifeform before it forms brain cells is acceptable since its life has not begun; afterwards it's pretty much child murder. If you don't abort before the story begins, you have to go through with the pregnancy; even if you don't want the child it HAS TO LIVE, even if it means caring for a child you never asked for or passing it on to someone who wants to adopt; a story that has begun must not be scrunched up and thrown into the fire when the words of thought are already put to parchment, the so-called luxury of terminating a story is a highly immoral one, especially since death sets the parchment ablaze and makes it irretrievable; it is quite a pity that death does that, as opposed to scrunching it up and throwing it into a wastepaper basket where it can be easily retrieved.

To finish off, Todd Akin has a bad story of stupidity, the human body doesn't care about rape (minds are capable of responsibility, concern, attention, etc; bodies are not), and abortion is only ok if the lifeform has not yet grown brain cells and achieved "consciousness".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,733 Posts
    Wow, I bet he thinks that God engineered that. The concept of a woman's body being able to prevent pregnancy when subject to rape does not adhere to applications of modern science.

If there were an "app" for the human body that did that, like some sort of biomechanical process based off of organic nanotechnology, that'd be a decent form of insurance, but aside from technologies that probably aren't even currently in existence, it is not possible for a woman's body to shut down their reproductive organs by detecting it is being raped. Sure, a victim can know they're being raped, it's hard to not know it's happening unless you've entered a catatonic state or have been drugged, but the human body itself probably can't distinguish between rape and consenting sex; so long as a sperm cell reaches an egg and manages to successfully get embedded in that uteral lining of blood and stuff, gestation can commence and pregnancy occurs.

Personally, I believe that life begins with consciousness for the most part, with consciousness beginning with the first interactions between neurons, and terminating consciousness is a bad thing; if the pregnancy is terminated before consciousness starts to crackle and buzz between the little grey cells, then it's more or less ok, since it's just meat and does not yet have awareness. The second consciousness starts, abortion is not an option; it is the premature termination of a story that was being written.

All in all, my stance on the abortion issue is that aborting the lifeform before it forms brain cells is acceptable since its life has not begun; afterwards it's pretty much child murder. If you don't abort before the story begins, you have to go through with the pregnancy; even if you don't want the child it HAS TO LIVE, even if it means caring for a child you never asked for or passing it on to someone who wants to adopt; a story that has begun must not be scrunched up and thrown into the fire when the words of thought are already put to parchment, the so-called luxury of terminating a story is a highly immoral one, especially since death sets the parchment ablaze and makes it irretrievable; it is quite a pity that death does that, as opposed to scrunching it up and throwing it into a wastepaper basket where it can be easily retrieved.

To finish off, Todd Akin has a bad story of stupidity, the human body doesn't care about rape (minds are capable of responsibility, concern, attention, etc; bodies are not), and abortion is only ok if the lifeform has not yet grown brain cells and achieved "consciousness".
    Is there a bomb strapped to your chest that goes off if you don't type more than 500 words per minute?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 97Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    June 2009
    1,896 Posts
    Does the US government give out free lobotomies to anybody on a treasury funded paycheck or something
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Zing Zing x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,411 Posts
    We seriously need to include some sort of test to get a government position, nothing too complicated, but enough to keep out complete idiots like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    3,245 Posts
    Is there a bomb strapped to your chest that goes off if you don't type more than 500 words per minute?
    Someone typed out a well detailed, thought out opinion on a news article.

How dare he use that many words.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 25Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    I'd love if a rape victim sat down and had a chat with him, would be a very interesting conversation might I add
    I wouldn't wish that on anyone, much less a rape victim.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 2 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    2,911 Posts
    There should be a law against people this incompetant getting into positions of power. My head hurts from reading that garbage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    July 2009
    7,650 Posts
    I know someone born from rape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 13Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,766 Posts
    this is solid proof that our education system is the most effective and useful system in the world
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 2Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    I just... cannot process the retardation.

I've had better luck trying to process temporal paradoxes than trying to comprehend what I have just read.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

38. Post #38
    Pig
    January 2009
    505 Posts
    I look forward to our new, majority-democrat congress come this fall.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,129 Posts
    yes the only bad thing about rape is the unwanted pregnancy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    The stupidity. It burns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)