1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,147 Posts
    I really want to learn either Violin, Viola, Cello, or Upright Bass, but I don't know which to choose. After playing Euphonium for 4 years and Tuba for 3, I've grown to love rich, deep tones in music, but I also love the sound of a Violin. I haven't heard much of the Viola or really seen much of them either, but I don't want to write it off just because I haven't heard much of it. Also, I was wondering if I should buy acoustic or electric. For the Violin, I know acoustic ones are cheaper, but for Upright Bass, it looks like the electric models are a bit cheaper, but then I'd need to buy an amp as well.

Anyone here have experience on any of these instruments and want to offer some advice?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    16,683 Posts
    The Viola sounds absolutely beautiful.

I play the Violin myself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2009
    4,002 Posts
    Most string players I know regret picking Violin over Cello, but I also play Tuba and would want to play something in contrast to Tuba. If this is going to be your tertiary instrument, I'd go with a violin just because it's relatively inexpensive.

4. Post #4
    I Got That Swollen Hand Blues
    March 2009
    2,516 Posts
    Viola for sure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    May 2009
    1,248 Posts
    I play Viola and I absolutely love it. The sound is so much more rich than the Violin. I'd say go for Viola.

6. Post #6
    November 2009
    4,002 Posts
    Or if you want a full ride music scholarship, viola is the best choice.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,147 Posts
    Or if you want a full ride music scholarship, viola is the best choice.
    Unfortunately, it's a bit late for the scholarship haha. Double unfortunately, my college doesn't have that great of a music program.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,213 Posts
    You should probably consider the cost and size of the instrument, too.

9. Post #9
    Do not (c)lick
    Dennab
    March 2012
    1,461 Posts
    Yeah it can't be too big or too small, has to be just right to fit properly

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    5,147 Posts
    Yeah, cost is why I'm mainly considering the Violin, but size is what's concerning me. I have fairly big fingers, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to play one. I can play guitar fine, but I don't know how far apart strings on a Violin or Viola are. Simply due to cost, I'm saying Upright Bass is out of the question right now.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    2,213 Posts
    Yeah, cost is why I'm mainly considering the Violin, but size is what's concerning me. I have fairly big fingers, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to play one. I can play guitar fine, but I don't know how far apart strings on a Violin or Viola are. Simply due to cost, I'm saying Upright Bass is out of the question right now.
    Yeah. I'm no expert, but where on earth would you keep a double bass or a cello? Violin may be a good choice because it's cheap and I imagine it's much easier to find competent violin teachers/tutorials whatever than for the other instruments.

12. Post #12
    November 2009
    3,694 Posts
    I play Cello and Double Bass, it's absolutely amazing.