1. Post #41
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Because of what Bush had done prior to Obama entering office.
    Many of these policies were started under Bush Sr. and Clinton. Hell, some were even earlier.

Our recession can't be blamed on one single president, or even one single policy. It was a pattern of bad policy taking place over a series of decades that eventually culminated in a financial meltdown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

2. Post #42
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    No, because everyone who votes with the candidate I support must be a unique, free-thinking butterfly just like me! It's the other side that is full of brain dead idiots!

In other news: http://reason.com/archives/2012/08/2...y-must-not-win Tell me how many of these things you have heard from your own side of the argument, and then tell me how many of these things you have heard from the other side.
    what are you saying to me? are you mocking me or...

I'm Canadian; I have absolutely no stake in the outcome of this election except what position the US and A will choose to shift to to jam its dick back up my country's ass afterwards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    what are you saying to me? are you mocking me or...

I'm Canadian; I have absolutely no stake in the outcome of this election except what position the US and A will choose to shift to to jam its dick back up my country's ass afterwards
    I'm not mocking you...

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    I'm not mocking you...
    Yeah I read your post in the wrong tone

Now come back to bed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,562 Posts
    I remember it being brought up last election predicting an Obama win. However, that might be a revised memory.

Didn't Bush support all these things as well?
    They were relatively low priority for Bush. Had 9/11 never happened they might have been more important to him, but the wars it led to demanded a heavy focus on foreign policy and national security. At the very end of his presidency he focused more on the economy, but he really wasn't in a position to pull any bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    10,248 Posts
    Because Bush was somehow responsible for that?
    Exactly. Just because it started really close to the election in late '08 doesn't mean Bush is automatically responsible for everything that happened after Obama was sworn in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    June 2011
    7,966 Posts
    Exactly. Just because it started really close to the election in late '08 doesn't mean Bush is automatically responsible for everything that happened after Obama was sworn in.
    Um, did you forget the two wars he forced us into?

The money for those wars doesn't come out of thin air, we were fighting them for the majority of his presidency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #48
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    8,922 Posts
    Romney said he will veto the Affordable Healthcare Act, so him winning would undo the (small) progress of the last few years regarding healthcare reform
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

9. Post #49
    Bush was a pretty (seemingly) dumb guy, but the world didn't end under him.
    "I conquered 3 countries"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,143 Posts
    If Romney wins, I'm going to find a new planet to live on.

11. Post #51
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    If Romney wins, I'm going to find a new planet to live on.
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1207300
    This galaxy might have a nice planet for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    nate silver tore this stupid model apart on twitter

A Denver Post reporter asked me (http://bit.ly/MNOF1C) about this U. of Colorado election model (http://bit.ly/O7pN4I).

It's late, so I'll be blunt: I saw their paper and I think there are glaring problems with their methodology.

The U. of Colo. model fits the equivalent of 7 unknowns to 8 elections. That's not a good idea.

The Colo. model also assumes huge effects from unemployment if incumbent is a Dem., but none if he's GOP. Hard claim to defend.

If you want a "fundamentals" model that shows Romney winning, the Hibbs model is a lot more sensible. http://bit.ly/SqgfnH

Also, it's false advertising to claim CU model has predicted the last 8 elections right. It's a new model. Hasn't predicted anything yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 12Informative Informative x 4 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    Um, did you forget the two wars he forced us into?

The money for those wars doesn't come out of thin air, we were fighting them for the majority of his presidency.
    do you understand that it takes more than the president's say so to start a war

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    9,254 Posts
    just because congress was dumb enough to approve of his crusade doesn't mean he isn't responsible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #55
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,832 Posts
    In theory, yeah.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #56
    June 2011
    7,966 Posts
    Yes, but he was a strong supporter of both wars, he could have done things that steered us away from the wars in Iraq / Afghanistan.

We weren't under any actual threat from either country, and the "reason" we went to Iraq turned out to be bullshit. (WMDs)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2005
    1,910 Posts
    just because congress was dumb enough to approve of his crusade doesn't mean he isn't responsible
    no i agree he is responsible but frankly I think it's asinine to say george bush forced the US into those wars

say that out loud

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,543 Posts
    The economy tanking was a worldwide lack of foresight into managing financial transactions and markets and sheer greed. I hate Bush as much as the next man, but come on guys.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    6,970 Posts
    nate silver tore this stupid model apart on twitter
    when I heard "predicted the last 8 elections" I immediately thought "how old is this model" and it turns out it was developed three years ago - so how the fuck can it possibly have "predicted" anything, that's dumb, it was made to explain the data

anyway remember guys, if you're still worried about Romney winning, the answer is to go out and vote for Obama
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

20. Post #60
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,523 Posts
    when I heard "predicted the last 8 elections" I immediately thought "how old is this model" and it turns out it was developed three years ago - so how the fuck can it possibly have "predicted" anything, that's dumb, it was made to explain the data

anyway remember guys, if you're still worried about Romney winning, the answer is to go out and vote for Obama
    Exactly that's what I thought as well. Typical bullshit.

I bet they formed this model around the old elections.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    March 2011
    3,842 Posts
    Many of these policies were started under Bush Sr. and Clinton. Hell, some were even earlier.

Our recession can't be blamed on one single president, or even one single policy. It was a pattern of bad policy taking place over a series of decades that eventually culminated in a financial meltdown.
    That and the housing market crash was under Democrats at the time during the Bush Administration.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #62

intrade disagrees
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    The wars were a lot of peoples fault and a lot of men, including the President, let it continue for their reasons. Remember how Cheyney was making massive bank off of setting his corporation up as the main fuel supplier for the wars?

24. Post #64
    February 2009
    449 Posts
    It is fun seeing how far left some(seems like most) posters of FP lean from time to time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

25. Post #65
    i think it's more like how far right the american system is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    September 2010
    8,080 Posts
    It is fun seeing how far left some(seems like most) posters of FP lean from time to time.
    What do you mean? Because we don't support someone who changes his "Views" on something between planerides and makes things up to try to scare people into demonizing the scary reformer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

27. Post #67
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    23,613 Posts
    Not really. Ever since the presidents since Truman started claiming their title of "Commander in Chief" lets them do what ever they wish (and Congress just decided to go with it for god fuck knows why), all the president has to do is send troops in to a country.

If the people don't like it, if Congress doesn't like it....well, kinda too late, can't just pull everyone out and say, "Whoops, sorry about that, honestly didn't mean to wreck everything" and forget about it.

If I remember correctly, Congress gave the president [idiotically] 60 or 90 days of doing what ever before Congress has to say, "Okay you're allowed [to keep fighting a war, not that we would be able to say otherwise now anyway]"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    11,780 Posts
    It might just feel that way because what America considers a left politician is considered very center-right everywhere else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,645 Posts
    Is this model available anywhere?

I mean wouldn't it be quite sensational if it did predict all the elections correct since the 80s? Seems like it would have been brought up a lot due to that.
    I had heard the opposite from this model that Obama was going to win.

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    3,994 Posts
    I don't care either way. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. President's over-all a really useless position anyway, congress can override the president's veto with another 2/3rds vote, which if it passed once, it may as well be able to pass again.

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,645 Posts
    Exactly that's what I thought as well. Typical bullshit.

I bet they formed this model around the old elections.

PFFT AHAHAHAAHA, how could they do that? Its a completely different landscape.

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    September 2007
    14,396 Posts

intrade disagrees
    why does paul even have a .2% chance its basically impossible for him to get elected get him off of there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

33. Post #73
    February 2009
    23,613 Posts
    I don't care either way. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. President's over-all a really useless position anyway, congress can override the president's veto with another 2/3rds vote, which if it passed once, it may as well be able to pass again.
    You underestimate the power of the Executive Order.

And even if a president doesn't like a bill that landed on his desk, he can just rewrite the "meaning" of the bill and pass it off as however he damn well pleases.

Edited:

why does paul even have a .2% chance its basically impossible for him to get elected get him off of there
    I can always still hope :C
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,655 Posts
    538 says that Obama has a 65% chance of winning.

Honestly there are so many models that contradict each other that you may as well flip a coin.

Edited:

Not really. Ever since the presidents since Truman started claiming their title of "Commander in Chief" lets them do what ever they wish (and Congress just decided to go with it for god fuck knows why), all the president has to do is send troops in to a country.

If the people don't like it, if Congress doesn't like it....well, kinda too late, can't just pull everyone out and say, "Whoops, sorry about that, honestly didn't mean to wreck everything" and forget about it.

If I remember correctly, Congress gave the president [idiotically] 60 or 90 days of doing what ever before Congress has to say, "Okay you're allowed [to keep fighting a war, not that we would be able to say otherwise now anyway]"
    On one hand, the President has way too much power to wage wars.

On the other hand, Congress is so slow and dysfunctional that we would have never gone to help Libya, which would have been disastrous for the rebellion. Not fatal, since many other countries helped, but still a big setback for them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #75
    July 2009
    2,540 Posts
    I'm fully convinced that Mitt Romney is a giant lizard who emerged from a sewer in Venezuela and fed on the souls of Mexican orphans to work his way into American society where he met and married his soulless lizard wife.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 9Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

36. Post #76
    February 2009
    23,613 Posts
    On one hand, the President has way too much power to wage wars.

On the other hand, Congress is so slow and dysfunctional that we would have never gone to help Libya, which would have been disastrous for the rebellion.
    Congress is SUPPOSE to be slow and dysfunctional in regard to war so we don't go to war on the whim every other day. And the US hardly did anything that impacted the fate of the Libyan rebellion.

Congress is suppose to be slow to pass such things like going to war so it in itself does not become tyrannical. They just decided to throw it all onto a single man.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,655 Posts
    Congress is SUPPOSE to be slow and dysfunctional in regard to war so we don't go to war on the whim every other day. And the US hardly did anything that impacted the fate of the Libyan rebellion.

Congress is suppose to be slow to pass such things like going to war so it in itself does not become tyrannical. They just decided to throw it all onto a single man.
    You're right.

Well I mean Congress should be slow but not dysfunctional.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    February 2009
    23,613 Posts
    I'm fully convinced that Mitt Romney is a giant lizard who emerged from a sewer in Venezuela and fed on the souls of Mexican orphans to work his way into American society where he met and married his soulless lizard wife.
    It's quite possible. His father was born in Mexico, after all.

39. Post #79
    I am a moderator.
    August 2006
    12,523 Posts
    PFFT AHAHAHAAHA, how could they do that? Its a completely different landscape.
    This is just a guess, but I imagine that they used old data to create their model, which of course would predict the old elections correctly. If this model really is 3 years old then obviosly it has never been tested in any real election.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #80

July 2011
    6 Posts
    I wish we had better 'main' candidates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)