1. Post #1
    tell PETA my mink is dragging on the floor
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts

Note: If the tutorial has a facepunch thread, the link will lead there. If it doesn't, the link will lead straight to youtube.

[h2]Official SFM Tutorialsby Bay Raitt[/h2]Basics
    Recording
    Editing
    Sound
    Manipulating
    Time Selection
    Graph Editor
    Puppeteering
    Locks
    Lipsync
    Rigging
    Lighting/Overlays
    Particles

[h2]SFM Tip of the Day by Cyclometh/Jimer Lins[/h2]Note: Due to this being an ongoing series, I can't add each individual lesson to this thread.
    If there's something not covered in the tutorials on this page, it has probably been covered in the links below!
    YouTube playlist
    Facepunch Thread

[h2]Animation[/h2]Ball bouncing animation/Graph Editor Basics by CeruleanOak
    Counter-Animation by CeruleanOak
    Pose-to-pose Animation by CeruleanOak
    Walk Cycle by CeruleanOak
    Full-Body Motion Capture for SFM with iPiSoft, Motion Builder, Maya and the Source SDK by Cylcometh
    Switching Sequences/Taunts between classes by Uglehs
    Realistic Eye Movement by Uglehs
    Natural Eye Movement: Blink on Glance by Zachariah
    IK rigs and IK/FK blending by Zachariah
    Hiding an edit in motion by Zachariah

[h2]Camera Work/Lighting[/h2]Basic Character Lighting by Zachariah
    Handheld Camera Effect by Zachariah
    Composition and cinematic language by Zachariah
    Rule of Thirds by Zachariah
    Using Custom textures for light projection by Zachariah
    Lighting Walkthrough by Zachariah

[h2]Misc[/h2]Painting items within SFM by turk645
    Model Color Animation by turk645
    Applying a particle system to a model by turk645
    Creating phoneme tables for lipsync with custom models by MaxOfS2D
    Importing assets from other games into SFM by Zachariah and deanwinchester
    Cloaking Models by iKonakona

[h2]Post-processing/Exporting[/h2]Exporting & encoding your video properly by MaxOfS2D
    Changing the FPS of your project by Rayss
    Linear/32bpc Float Workflow by PalmliX

If your tutorial is listed here, and you would like me to take it down or change something, let me know in this thread or by PM.
    If a tutorial isn't listed here, post it below and I will add it to the OP.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Useful Useful x 20Informative Informative x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    April 2007
    125 Posts
    Very nice list so far. Always good to have one of these floating around for people to easily get answers oh how to do some things.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    March 2011
    4,162 Posts
    That Walk Cycle tutorial made my life a lot easier.

Why aren't these threads stickied?

4. Post #4
    December 2007
    138 Posts
    Thanks for the link to my series and thanks for collecting these great resources in one place. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    No problem man, thanks for keeping with the tip of the day series for over a month. I learn something every day from your channel.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6

August 2012
    531 Posts
    Thanks for throwing mine up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    BEST HL2RP SCHEMA
    Dennab
    August 2012
    3,635 Posts
    If anyone needs a tutorial on how to give a recorded player a different weapon I'll do it. Text or video, I don't mind. I'd prefer text though.

8. Post #8
    July 2010
    5,738 Posts
    Updated with Zachariah's new onslaught of tutorials

9. Post #9
    March 2010
    99 Posts
    Keep it updated, because its really useful :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,509 Posts
    Ray Raitt has uploaded a new tutorial!
    Particles
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11

August 2012
    531 Posts
    Can we get this thing stickied?

12. Post #12
    Call me Rantis
    May 2010
    874 Posts
    This really should be stickied, especially since the SFM subfroum isn't keeping anything past page 1 listed anymore. I was in the process of compiling my own tutorial archive thread, glad I stumbled across this.

Heres a few I came across while making mine, I guess I can add them here.
    Text Projection / Hologram - koikeiya
    Using Render Target Cameras - Pw0nageXD
    Stop Motion SFM - Rayss
    Breathing Characters - Uglehs
    Creating Phoneme Tables - MaxOfS2D
    Encoding - MaxOfS2D
    Switching Sequences / Taunts between classes - Uglehs
    Realistic Eye Movement - Uglehs
    SSAO bias tips - MaxOfS2D
    Applying a particle system to a model - turk645
    Audacity Tutorial - Kartoffel
    Handheld camera - Zachariah
    Full-Body Motion Capture with iPiSoft - Cyclometh
    Composition and cinematic language - Zachariah
    Importing motion capture in 3ds max - Reemix
    Creating animation presets - shad0w440
    Using element viewer to modify vmt properties - shad0w440
    How to Import Faceposer VCD Files - shad0w440
    (some might already be listed)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,509 Posts
    This is incredibly useful, even for veterans:

Model filenames for all TF2 weapons, hats and miscs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    The Cold Wind Of France
    November 2008
    18,676 Posts
    This is incredibly useful, even for veterans:

Model filenames for all TF2 weapons, hats and miscs
    I wish the TF2 wiki had that somewhere in the info box
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 France Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2012
    422 Posts
    Is there a tutorial that covers the workflow to create a simple render screenshot? I'd like to learn how to create promotional images for workshop items.

17. Post #17
    July 2009
    9,821 Posts
    This might be the right place to ask.

How do people increase their colors in their videos so they look a lot more "alive" and not washed out, the contrast is also quite good there. It's also achieved via SFM aka no other tools are used.
    The first 15 seconds of this video pretty much describe what I am talking about. I tried lowering tonemapscale and it kinda worked but the colors were still really washed out. It came close but wasn't perfect.

The colors, contrast and overall quality appears to be a lot higher.

Compared to something like this:

I'd be insanely grateful if somebody would help me with that, I've been trying to achieve the effect from the first video for ages.

18. Post #18
    July 2011
    114 Posts
    My guess? Color Correction, it works wonders if you know how to use it: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...3175405#204136

19. Post #19
    July 2009
    9,821 Posts
    Yeah I already tought so but the only thing that comes close to the effects I want to achieve is the levels tool and while that already looks good it still looks like something is missing.
    Could anybody direct me to some nice color correction files or tell me how I could improve my own? The tutorial, while being very well written didnt provide lots of new Information. I know what the Tools do but I dont know how to use them effectively besides the levels tool.

20. Post #20

August 2012
    531 Posts
    Yeah I already tought so but the only thing that comes close to the effects I want to achieve is the levels tool and while that already looks good it still looks like something is missing.
    Could anybody direct me to some nice color correction files or tell me how I could improve my own? The tutorial, while being very well written didnt provide lots of new Information. I know what the Tools do but I dont know how to use them effectively besides the levels tool.
    I'd say a big part of it comes down the map lighting, personally I always strip a map of it's lighting for basically this exact reason. Map lighting is kind of like sticking a big fill light on everything and it's hard to get nice contrast or dark shadow areas. Where as if you strip a map of its lighting and do everything using SFM lights then you're basically starting with perfect contrast as everything is 100% black. That's probably why black void stuff tends to look better.

Here's an example from one of my own projects:

With map lighting.

Without map lighting.

Now there's actually LESS contrast in the non-map lighting shot but that's because of the color correction I did after, the lighting setup is exactly the same, it just looks better! The map lighting tends wash everything with a kind of dullness. I can't light for shit unless I remove map lighting, hopefully this helps you too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    July 2009
    9,821 Posts
    Thanks for the input!
    I always remove map lighting via the tonemapscale option since it makes nicer shadows IMO. Do you remove the map lighting the same way or edit the map with hammer?

22. Post #22
    December 2013
    432 Posts
    Is there a tutorial around for creating the necessary flexes for lipsyncing in 3DSMax?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23

August 2012
    531 Posts
    Thanks for the input!
    I always remove map lighting via the tonemapscale option since it makes nicer shadows IMO. Do you remove the map lighting the same way or edit the map with hammer?
    No I edit with hammer because then I don't need to blast the intensity of my SFM lights. Also lowering tonemapscale can create other weird effects, like self-illum textures going dark or skyboxes, although someone told me a fix for the skyboxes earlier but I've forgotten now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    November 2011
    298 Posts
    No I edit with hammer because then I don't need to blast the intensity of my SFM lights. Also lowering tonemapscale can create other weird effects, like self-illum textures going dark or skyboxes, although someone told me a fix for the skyboxes earlier but I've forgotten now.
    Probably fogui or something like that

25. Post #25

August 2012
    531 Posts
    Yah that could be it.

26. Post #26
    January 2014
    13 Posts
    Maybe it's O-T, but i don't want to make a thread, and i didn't found one, but where can i get soldiers marketing pose 4? i don't have it in sfm.

27. Post #27
    r_S
    December 2013
    347 Posts
    Maybe it's O-T, but i don't want to make a thread, and i didn't found one, but where can i get soldiers marketing pose 4? i don't have it in sfm.
    Removed.