1. Post #1
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    My friend is trying to convince me that an 11 grand computer is a good buy because it will run 2 copies of Skyrim at once and every game at max. His resolution is 1680 X 1050 currently. (http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Zeus_Thunder_Max/ It's this but he changed the parts on this site). I told him that's shit and his components will be out of date in the next year and a half. So what I made this thread for is to ask you guys to try and build the most gnarly computer you can, staying under a 10 grand budget. Thanks.

It has this

•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3960X Extreme Edition Six-Core 3.30 GHz 15MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
    •HDD: 1TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD1000DHTZ [+174] (1TB x 4 (2TB Capacity) Raid 0+1 Extreme Performance with Data Security [+906])
    •MEMORY: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory [+730] (Corsair Vengeance [+128])
    •MOTHERBOARD: (4-Way SLI Support) ASRock X79 Extreme11 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI Bios, Creative Sound Core3D, THX Tru Studio Pro 7.1 Audio, Dual GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 7 Gen3 PCIe X16 [+397]
    •SOUND: ASUS Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card [+199]
    •VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Dual GPU Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

also has 1000 watt power supply and comes with a mouse/keyboard.

(User was banned for this post ("Crap thread / Chatlolg" - Jaanus))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,469 Posts
    lol

Edited:

these threads never work by the way, they just turn into a shitstorm of "he shouldn't be spending that much!" and "it's his money let him spend it!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #3
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    lol

Edited:

these threads never work by the way, they just turn into a shitstorm of "he shouldn't be spending that much!" and "it's his money let him spend it!"
    It's worth a shot, I'll be uploading pictures of our conversation for proof, so you know it's not me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,018 Posts
    your friend is dumb and he's going to get taken advantage of by big bad computer companies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I deny that I'm a Weebo Warrior
    September 2011
    5,576 Posts
    Can't tell if trolling, or just completly stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    Can't tell if trolling, or just completly stupid.
    I'm not trolling.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    it's going to be outdated in a few years anyway, tell him you're always better off buying a midrange system and upgrading it as parts start to perform subpar

Edited:

he's not building it by the way either. put together the parts on newegg and show him the price difference
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

8. Post #8
    July 2010
    3,445 Posts
    it's going to be outdated in a few years anyway, tell him you're always better off buying a midrange system and upgrading it as parts start to perform subpar

Edited:

he's not building it by the way either. put together the parts on newegg and show him the price difference
    Will do.

9. Post #9
    March 2010
    738 Posts
    I don't understand the point of running two copies of skyrim at once, since you can't exactly send input to twg o different copies (not easily, perhaps with controllers), and even then, you'd have trouble splitting the sound from the two games...

As said above, get a mid range, Even if you spent 2K on a PC, stick the 8K into a bank, and even at a shit low rate of 5% interest PA, you'd be making $400 a year off it, the 2K PC should last you ATLEAST 2 years, if all goes well, it could easily last you 4 years, im which case, the interest you made on the money you saved, would pay for a new PC again...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    October 2011
    152 Posts
    Is this a joke?

11. Post #11
    December 2009
    325 Posts
    AHAHAHA

Your friend doesn't even know his resolution, and yet he wants a $10k PC?

Nobody needs a PC like that. Ever.

For gaming, over 8gb is overkill and mostly anything above an i5 is overkill

You will see no performance increase, he will just be wasting money

The Dual Hexacore 64GB servers we have where I work don't even cost that much
    Seriously, tell your friend he's stupid please, spending over $2k on a PC is so mind numbingly stupid unless you actually have a use for it

EDIT:
    Is this kid just some 10 year old who wants to spend mommy and daddies money on "lol the best gaming computar, i can run skrim on maxx!!!!"

At least use it for 3d rendering or some shit, christ
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,696 Posts
    Major disaster just waiting to happen.

Here's something only just over 1/5th of that:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.74 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($228.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($168.54 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($479.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.92 @ Amazon)
    Total: $2241.10
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-27 18:06 EDT-0400)

CPU: i7s are a waste unless he's doing CAD or video editing as well.

RAM: you'll be able to get away with 8 GB. You could go with 16, but that's borderline overkill. Again, anything higher is a waste unless he's doing CAD/video editing.

Video cards: SLIed 680s will be able to shred through anything.

Consider your options though. Anything higher than $2.5-3K becomes a waste.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    Ask me about my secret society of Jihadist Mexican Lobsters
    July 2010
    1,272 Posts
    Your friend quite frankly sounds like a over compulsive liar and abit of a douchebag if you ask me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2010
    208 Posts
    Your friend quite frankly sounds like a over compulsive liar and abit of a douchebag if you ask me
    It's completely within reason (..?). Some people would do it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    13,053 Posts
    It's completely within reason (..?). Some people would do it.

11 grand rig to run 2 skyrims at once

yeah he's completely reasonable

64 gigs of ram

reasonable
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,696 Posts
    Even then, is it physically possible to run two Skyrims at the same time? I wouldn't think so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,606 Posts
    You don't need a 11 Thousand pound computer to run Skyrim on max, My computer does that and it cost me £500. And it's not possible to run 2 Copies at the same time. Why the fuck would you want to.

Edited:

He didn't even list a SSD.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #18
    June 2009
    36 Posts
    OMG! (sorry) He is just stupid. You can buy a Nice BMW for 11K!

I have a 1200 euro game system and it runs bf3 on max so wtf!

:)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)