1. Post #1
    Dennab
    July 2012
    11 Posts
    Microsoft is set to charge British consumers £39.99 to upgrade to the latest version of its Windows software - despite the fact it will charge US customers $40.
    Experts said the pricing was 'another depressing example' of British technology buyers being ripped off.
    The company announced in July that users would be charged $39.99 to upgrade from any version of Windows since XP to Windows 8 Pro.

However, Microsoft's UK press office today told computer magazine PC Pro that the price will be set at £39.99 in the UK - a straight dollar to pound conversion - even though at current exchange rates, $39.99 equates to £25.30.
    Microsoft did not respond to requests from MailOnline to explain the pricing difference.
    The update will be downloaded, although Amazon UK was today offering a pre-order version on DVD for £49.

Experts slammed the decision.
    'The £40 price tag is another depressing example of the British tech buyer being forced to pay an unjustifiable premium,' said Barry Collins, the editor of PC Pro.
    'Itís even more galling when the software arrives in the form of a download, which has none of the extra shipping and distribution costs tech companies normally use as an excuse when they charge British buyers more than their American counterparts.'

Even if the US price doesn't include sales tax, British buyers are still around £10 worse off than their US counterparts.
    Microsoft unable to comment on the price discrepancy at the time of publication.
    Software companies routinely cite localisation costs and varying tax rates as one reason why prices vary from country to country.
    Microsoft is providing a UK English version of Windows 8, as well as special versions that don't include Windows Media Player, to comply with a 2004 European Commission ruling.
    Microsoft's EMEA download store is registered in Germany, which applies VAT at a rate of 19% - 1% lower than the current UK rate.
    The move comes just days after Microsoft revealed it has updated its corporate logo for the first time in 25 years as it prepares for the Windows 8 launch.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz24wjArmtm
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Anonymous Proxy Show Events Funny Funny x 53Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Facepunch's Local Lycanthrope
    December 2008
    1,787 Posts
    Good thing I don't plan on upgrading anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Jersey Show Events Agree Agree x 57Disagree Disagree x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    1,419 Posts
    Typical MS.
    Same with Xbox live shit. 1$ = £1.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 35Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    ffFf
    June 2005
    5,914 Posts
    Typical MS.
    Same with Xbox live shit. 1$ = £1.
    valve did this for a while too

it was sad
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 35Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,104 Posts

it was sad
    Yeah, now it's just the euro who gets the short end of the stick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 38Friendly Friendly x 4Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,869 Posts

it was sad
    oh the glory days when steam was still in $ over here. oh i miss those days
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    Yeah, now it's just the euro who gets the short end of the stick.
    Pound still isn't converted to properly, but you still get the shortest end of the stick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    Doesn't valve actually still do this?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 17Disagree Disagree x 2Zing Zing x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    2,382 Posts
    Does Microsoft even know the pound exists?
    "Hey dude, our Brit customers use these things called pounds, not dollars."
    "Oh we'll just charge them 40 pounds then, just to be fair."
    "Sounds good."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 19 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    1,908 Posts
    I think everything is 21% more expensive with euros on steam, right?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

11. Post #11
    Bronze-age Right-wing Delusional Retard
    April 2011
    754 Posts
    This is why in the UK pirating is more common than any other country, everyone I know has a pirated copy of Windows7 using a loader :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,104 Posts
    19 right now, 21 starting on the 1st of october.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    If that's the logic, Valve is ripping us Europeans off as well - the pound is of course more than the euro, but it's really the concept overall. And I'm no expert on this, but isn't there costs related for Microsoft to push its product over here? I think it's more expensive, and while I would like the lower price, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.

It's kinda funny that "Robber" finds this dumb.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

14. Post #14
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    If that's the logic, Valveis ripping us Europeans off as well - the pound is of course more than the euro, but it's really the concept overall. And I'm no expert on this, but isn't there costs related for Microsoft to push its product over here? I think it's more expensive, and while I would like the lower price, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable.
    It's a download, so there are no shipping + distribution costs to charge. Hell, even if it was on disk, the disks are normally made in China, so it wouldn't be that much dearer, it'd probably be cheaper than shipping to the US.
    Sure the VAT makes it more expensive, but nowhere near as dear as MS are trying to charge.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #15
    One of the reasons I didn't buy the vita

companies need to start learning about exchange rates, or soon I'm just not going to buy anything they make.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    December 2009
    14,782 Posts
    Pretty much the same with AU dollars. For some reason even our digital purchases are still more expensive than they should be.

17. Post #17
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    still 40 pounds is pretty cheap

i'd rather pay 40 pounds rather than 150 so quit your bitching
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb x 33Agree x 3Disagree x 2Funny x 1Zing x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts

nice job completely missing the point, 40 USD should only equal 40 pounds if you're retarded.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 11Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    September 2007
    632 Posts
    Pretty much the same with AU dollars. For some reason even our digital purchases are still more expensive than they should be.
    Yeah but our entire market itself is like that.

"Whats that, the RRP in USA is $50 USD? Let's just sell it here for $150 AUD. No-one will notice"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    It's a download, so there are no shipping + distribution costs to charge. Hell, even if it was on disk, the disks are normally made in China, so it wouldn't be that much dearer, it'd probably be cheaper than shipping to the US.
    Sure the VAT makes it more expensive, but nowhere near as dear as MS are trying to charge.
    Yeah, it's 20$ more, but isn't this pretty much the standard fair for anything American? Computer components are much more expensive here in Europe as well, though I don't know the exact rules surrouding this stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

21. Post #21

i live somewhere different so I should pay more based only on the fact I use a different currency, completely unrelated to fees or costs that might be involved.

great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    June 2010
    6,267 Posts
    Yeah, it's 20$ more, but isn't this pretty much the standard fair for anything American? Computer components are much more expensive here in Europe as well, though I don't know the exact rules surrouding this stuff.
    Standard fare, yes, but surely we should take every opportunity to try to get decent conversions

23. Post #23
    I'm halving my usage of math each week.. but, apparently I'll never be able to quit.
    October 2009
    5,833 Posts
    Come to Australia..

EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF SOFTWARE MEANS ANOTHER MORTGAGE!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 12Funny Funny x 5Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    Standard fare, yes, but surely we should take every opportunity to try to get decent conversions
    I agree, but it's just like people are bitching about it because it's Microsoft. Hell, they're selling an entire OS (okay, upgrade license, but still - most of you have Windows 7/Vista/XP) for the same price of a new COD game even after bumping up the price in the UK. I don't understand how people can really complain much about that, whether they're making it more expensive or not. Sure, I would like it for free, but come on - it's not that expensive at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    Since when did COD cost £40?
    Also we're bitching because we're paying $65 for an $40 item.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    319 Posts
    This probably has nothing to do with the authors opinion of

'another depressing example' of British technology buyers being ripped off.
    It most likely because the EU fined Microsoft a shit ton of money for including internet explorer in their operating system (how dare they), and Microsoft is going to get their money back. It just easier for them to do the typical dollar = euro trade to make it look a bit less obvious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    4,547 Posts
    Why don't companies use a system that checks the exchange rate on purchase so its always correct compared to the base currency.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    Since when did COD cost £40?
    Also we're bitching because we're paying $65 for an $40 item.
    At least CoD Black Ops 2 is Ä60 - I don't know UK price, but that's price on Steam here in Denmark. Seems like BOII will be £35 in the UK at lauch, that isn't too far from it. My point still stands, none the less.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    June 2011
    8,814 Posts
    Doesn't valve actually still do this?
    Valve didn't do shit, they aren't allowed to set the prices of other developers games, it's not Valve's fault that Ubisoft want's to charge 60 euros for their games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

30. Post #30
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    £40 for a single-use digital upgrade?

Fuck that. I'd be better off paying a bit more for a retail CD and installing it on 3+ computers.

31. Post #31

September 2011
    367 Posts
    ahh this so funny, who cares bout the uk

(User was banned for this post ("Trolling" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Artistic Artistic x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    £40 for a single-use digital upgrade?

Fuck that. I'd be better off paying a bit more for a retail CD and installing it on 3+ computers.
    Ehh, you can (officially) only install one license on one computer, you should be able to do the same trick with this, provided you have a Windows 7/Vista/XP license.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    January 2010
    673 Posts
    I'm sure the European price will be great then.

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,894 Posts
    ahh this so funny, who cares bout the uk
    Probably a lot more than the amount of people that care about your posts.

(User was banned for this post ("Report, don't reply" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Zing Zing x 10Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35

September 2011
    367 Posts
    oh im sure, but next time try not to post the obvious

Probably a lot more than the amount of people that care about your posts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

36. Post #36
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,119 Posts
    Time to bother someone in the USA to buy me a activation key.

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    435 Posts
    Meh, I'll upgrade to Windows 8, mostly because I'm sick of Vista and I don't have the 100+ dollars for 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,859 Posts
    HOLY SHIT how hard is it to get that it is NOT up to Microsoft nor Valve to decide the currency?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

39. Post #39
    January 2010
    673 Posts
    HOLY SHIT how hard is it to get that it is NOT up to Microsoft nor Valve to decide the currency?
    Valve, not all the time, only on their games on Steam.
    Microsoft yes it is up to them.

The difference is too much to justify it with taxes and such, and since it's a download there's no transportation or "retail store wanting more" excuse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 4Informative Informative x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,208 Posts
    It's not up to Microsoft to decide on the price of a product made by Microsoft published by Microsoft and sold by Microsoft? That explains so much!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Austria Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)