1. Post #1
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    Google's V8 Benchmark:

Maxthon bests Chrome in its own benchmark. Ionmonkey displays promising performance over the current Mozilla Spidermonkey engine powering FireFox. Opera is terrible, and IE10 is mediocre.

Mozilla's Kraken Benchmark:

IonMonkey, Chrome, and Maxthon are neck-and-neck-and-neck in Mozilla's Kraken benchmark
    IE comes in fourth and it's like Opera is trying to be bad on purpose.
    Not only did it fail the test spectacularly, but it rendered neither the test pages nor the results page correct visually. Recommend against using this browser ever.

Suggest more benchmarks and browsers!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2010
    4,216 Posts
    Where's netscape?

EDIT:

Also when the fuck did the big O start rendering pages incorrectly. A couple years ago it was the only browser that did crap like the acid test perfectly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    Where's netscape?

EDIT:

Also when the fuck did the big O start rendering pages incorrectly. A couple years ago it was the only browser that did crap like the acid test perfectly.
    Yeah, but after that whole thing, it really went down the shitter. Bugs galore everywhere nowadays, even in the stable builds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    AFAIK Maxthon has been busted a time or two for cheating in benchmarks.
    Something about having coded their browsers to help generating a artificially high score compared to actual performance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,316 Posts
    I thought that Maxton died in 2006 or so.

Ehh, don't know anyone who uses it and it doesn't seem to be that nice anyways.

6. Post #6
    Glorious GNU/Linux Master Race
    May 2010
    5,716 Posts
    Also where is ZAC Browser?

7. Post #7
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    The best current-gen browser is chrome and, to be honest, I think the best nexgen browser is ionmonkey.
    It just needs to fix text rendering issues.

8. Post #8
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,605 Posts
    Maxthon is terrible and the developers are known for scamming results
    personally I have no quarrels with opera and would use it over any other browser regardless of benchmarking results. Using a dev build against stable builds is also very unfair, as Next/OOPP is often very unstable (same goes for chrome)

Waterfox is a good alternative, too.

All in all, this isn't a very reliable chart in the slightest, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Guru mediation error
    July 2012
    7,109 Posts
    personally I have no quarrels with opera and would use it over any other browser regardless of benchmarking results. Using a dev build against stable builds is also very unfair, as Next/OOPP is often very unstable (same goes for chrome)

All in all, this isn't a very reliable chart in the slightest, so take it with a grain of salt.
    The thing is, Opera feels faster than chrome, although it may just be the way it displays pages while loading.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts

Results are the same in stock builds as in dev builds. Exactly the same with the exception of stock FF being TONS slower because IonMonkey is an entirely new engine. Opera 12.02 Stable is even slower ​than Opera Next.
    Also, all​ of the builds in the OP are dev builds, even the Maxthon, which I know is a scam. It's just in there because it's funny.

Also, Waterfox is 10% faster than stock FF at HTML5, but 5% slower at everything else. (It's really within a margin of error. Sometimes it's slower and sometimes it's faster. It's really about the same). It's not a noticeable difference over stock x86_64 firefox (Which exists, by the way)

In this test, it was very slightly faster.

And don't even get me started on

I have no quarrels with opera and would use it over any other browser regardless of benchmarking results.
    It fails ACID3 as of Opera 12 (Nevermind. Fixed in .02, but I still see tons of graphical glitches)
    I can understand not caring about performance because you care about usability or familiarity, but it isn't even displaying your websites right. It didn't even display the times on Kraken properly while the test was running, and it made the entire screen flash white in sunspider.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,605 Posts
    Results are the same in stock builds as in dev builds. Exactly the same with the exception of stock FF being TONS slower because IonMonkey is an entirely new engine. Opera 12.02 Stable is even slower ​than Opera Next.
    Also, all​ of the builds in the OP are dev builds, even the Maxthon, which I know is a scam. It's just in there because it's funny.

Also, Waterfox is 10% faster than stock FF at HTML5, but 5% slower at everything else. (It's really within a margin of error. Sometimes it's slower and sometimes it's faster. It's really about the same). It's not a noticeable difference over stock x86_64 firefox (Which exists, by the way)

In this test, it was very slightly faster.

And don't even get me started on

It fails ACID3 as of Opera 12 (Nevermind. Fixed in .02, but I still see tons of graphical glitches)
    I can understand not caring about performance because you care about usability or familiarity, but it isn't even displaying your websites right. It didn't even display the times on Kraken properly while the test was running, and it made the entire screen flash white in sunspider.
    When I say I don't give a fuck about benchmarks, I mean it.
    The benefits to opera for me are more than just speed.

Edited:

Using any of them in development build is completely redundant as some browsers have different development rates, and something could be already fixed for the next update

Use stable builds.

12. Post #12
    January 2012
    1,692 Posts
    Bench the PC Safari, I bet it'll suck harder than Opera.

13. Post #13
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,698 Posts
    PC Safari vs Mac Safari too!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    When I say I don't give a fuck about benchmarks, I mean it.
    The benefits to opera for me are more than just speed.

Edited:

Using any of them in development build is completely redundant as some browsers have different development rates, and something could be already fixed for the next update

Use stable builds.
    Is what Opera does for you worth the fact that it doesn't render webpages correctly?
    Using Opera despite it being slow is fine, but why do you want to use it if it's provably inaccurate and actually renders webpages incorrectly? It doesn't matter what benefits it has for you. If you give it code, it does not process and output the code properly. Even if it was ten trillion times faster than Chrome, it would still be the worst browser for this reason. It doesn't matter how fast (And Opera isn't fast) it does it if it doesn't do it right.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,605 Posts
    Is what Opera does for you worth the fact that it doesn't render webpages correctly?
    Using Opera despite it being slow is fine, but why do you want to use it if it's provably inaccurate and actually renders webpages incorrectly?
    Do you have any examples of webpages it doesn't render properly that isn't a benchmark?
    I have ran into maybe...2 things that failed to render correctly (albeit still functional!)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    Do you have any examples of webpages it doesn't render properly that isn't a benchmark?
    I have ran into maybe...2 things that failed to render correctly (albeit still functional!)
    That's too many! You say "Well, it only failed a few times" as though that's somehow acceptable. Not even IE has the types of problems Opera has, let alone FF and Chrome. Failing to render code correctly is not a normal feature of a functional browser and neither of those cases would have happened in literally any other browser you could have chosen.
    So, essentially, you just admitted that Opera is terrible. Why do you use it?

17. Post #17
    Turbo Dyke
    June 2010
    21,605 Posts
    That's too many! You say "Well, it only failed a few times" as though that's somehow acceptable. Not even IE has the types of problems Opera has, let alone FF and Chrome. Failing to render code correctly is not a normal feature of a functional browser and neither of those cases would have happened in literally any other browser you could have chosen.
    So, essentially, you just admitted that Opera is terrible. Why do you use it?
    You're trying to tell me that incredibly rare rendering issues should make me switch browsers?

I don't know of any other browser with functions that opera has.
    Tab grouping, smooth scrolling, mouse gestures and so much more..

Again, how fast my browser renders pages isn't the only thing that sets my mind. I like a browser that looks good, has decent community support and is customizable.

18. Post #18
    Maestro
    August 2006
    2,252 Posts
    You're trying to tell me that incredibly rare rendering issues should make me switch browsers?

I don't know of any other browser with functions that opera has.
    Tab grouping, smooth scrolling, mouse gestures and so much more..

Again, how fast my browser renders pages isn't the only thing that sets my mind. I like a browser that looks good, has decent community support and is customizable.
    So use Firefox, which has all of those things.
    Smooth scrolling has been on by default since Firefox 4.

And yes; that's what I'm trying to tell you.

Also, I don't want you to get confused about the benchmark I was talking about. It wasn't a layout test or anything that would stress a browser's renderer like that, but a non-graphical benchmark that output a log on the screen, and Opera alone not only did worst on the bench didn't even render the text log correctly.

Also, FF is completely customizable. You can literally drag around every aspect on the screen and dock it wherever you want, plus it has the largest modding community of any browser.
    As for "looks good"...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,704 Posts
    But how does Sparkbrowser perform?

In all seriousness, we're approaching the point where Firefox and Chrome are about equal as far as real world performance goes. It's good to see that everyone's still improving, though.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    3,519 Posts
    Why are people saying Maxthon is a scam? it seems very good to me

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    5,635 Posts
    They manipulated benchmarks.

Edited:

Kyle+ != You+