1. Post #1
    Half Life 2: Call of Duty meets Minecraft

February 2012
    14,299 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Winner x 62Friendly x 6Late x 2Zing x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,661 Posts
    This will happen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly x 146Funny x 8Dumb x 5Winner x 2Disagree x 2Agree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

May 2010
    1,127 Posts
    "It's way more likely we would head in that direction than say, 'Letís find some giant company that wants to cash us out and wait two or three years to have our employment agreements terminate,'"
    BURNED
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 46Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    April 2008
    1,579 Posts
    Keepin it real, Gabe. Keepin it real.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,048 Posts
    Better dead than EA Valve Studios
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 106Winner Winner x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    8,973 Posts
    It would be so sad. Like a group of friends who've known each other since grade school slowly drifting apart over the years after they reach adulthood until only two or three of them meet up occasionally.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #7
    This will happen
    Nice little comic with a "pretty happy" but also "saddening" ending (Bittersweet), but at least the ending quote from Gabe was cheery and pleasured people who waited and waited for that third installment

A little error I see there, is that it says "HL3" and not EP3. I know EP3 has to come before HL3, starting with Alyx telling Gordon she had a crush on someone "deaf?" and intends to teach the player and DOG how to communicate through gestures without causing too much noise. Plus, the installment is going to be "scary?". Because, I'm sure Valve was ready for the horror theme (like Alone in the Dark for PC/3DO)

EDIT: 45 boxes? I guess I beat the record of amount of dumbs rated
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 57 (list)

8. Post #8
    February 2008
    2,048 Posts
    This will happen

:'(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,516 Posts
    This will happen
    The thought of Gabe Newell dying is very sad :(((
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 68 (list)

10. Post #10
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    It's funny he says this, when he knows full well that Valve are going to be around for a very long time because of the insane revenue they get from Steam.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

11. Post #11
    March 2010
    3,308 Posts
    This is what Nintendo said about paid DLC not too long ago, and look what happened to them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,989 Posts
    Better dead than EA Valve Studios
    It would more likely be EA Seattle, pumping out an average Half-Life game every two years with tacked on multiplayer. Not to mention what they'd do with CS and TF2...

Fortunately this will never happen, not just because Gabe won't allow it but because Valve are at their largest and still expanding fast.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    4,264 Posts
    EA has a reputation for buying out amazing game studios and then running them down into ground. It would be horrific to see what they'd do to Valve.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,233 Posts
    This will happen
    help i teared up slightly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    wtf am i reading
    June 2010
    15,938 Posts
    This will happen

(User was banned for this post ("Image Macro" - Asaratha))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 42Funny Funny x 9Dumb Dumb x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,480 Posts
    The day Valve fall is the day gaming dies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    12,354 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 23Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Glod Member
    March 2009
    9,998 Posts
    It would more likely be EA Seattle, pumping out an average Half-Life game every two years with tacked on multiplayer. Not to mention what they'd do with CS and TF2...

Fortunately this will never happen, not just because Gabe won't allow it but because Valve are at their largest and still expanding fast.
    "We're announcing today that CS:GO, CS:S and CS 1.6 will no longer support community servers! Instead you can use our dedicated servers which we certainly wont close in 2 years!"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    7,973 Posts
    It's going to be even more sad than when Gary Gygax died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,058 Posts
    I doubt any company would be able to buy Valve and keep its massive userbase.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

21. Post #21
    SHADERS
    October 2008
    10,024 Posts
    "We're announcing today that CS:GO, CS:S and CS 1.6 will no longer support community servers! Instead you can use our dedicated servers which we certainly wont close in 2 years!"
    btw they cost £50 a month bye!

oh and no mod tools becuz source 9 is way 2 complex 4 modders!!!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    MORDEKAISER ES #1 HUEHUE
    September 2009
    3,192 Posts
    It's sad to think that most of us will live to see the day when Gabe dies
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 33 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2007
    5,112 Posts
    In the meantime, you can now buy the new team fortress 3 : resurrection pack including 5 new hats! Share them with your friends over the new tradez system, subscribe for only 49.99$ today and recieve a free skin! Limited offer exclusive skins exclusive maps and exclusive new gamemode will be on sale until next month when we announce the new DLC for your DLC!

And don't forget : a happy costumer uses the new "you'regoingtogetarrested" DRM system for the good of the gaming future! Only 9.99$ for a registration key available through the subscription-based StREaMpro service. Big brother watches over us all.

24. Post #24
    Fabulous!
    April 2010
    6,483 Posts
    This will happen
    I don't want Gabe to die, ever, but he's so old...so old...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts
    The day Valve fall is the day gaming dies.
    I like valve and all but goddamn do people exaggerate their modern day impact. I mean yeah they did some fucking impressive stuff before but the last really unique thing they've made in terms of games lately is portal, and that came out in 2007 iirc. There main engine is luggin behind the competition and looking worse and worse each year.

I mean really, when's the last time you've heard of a major developer using the source engine besides valve. The engine is so fucking outdated, modder friendly or not. There newest games, made primarily for modern pcs, are lacking some more standard graphical features like Ssao or true dynamic lighting.

There newest games Gameplay wise arent even that amazing. Portal 2 was good but it was more an expansion on portals game concepts rather than a whole new, unique expirience. Dota 2 is just a remake of a mod with a terrible community, which looks rather meh nowadays with its low res textures appearing in crisp high resolution detail. Counter strike go admittedly looks amazing graphically, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a remake of a remake with gameplay that hasn't aged well at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Disagree Disagree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,936 Posts
    I don't want Gabe to die, ever, but he's so old...so old...
    We could probably clone him and implant his old brain into the new body with future tech.

Then again that sounds like science fiction and not fact rate me optimistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 5Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    October 2008
    4,013 Posts
    I don't want to hear any word of Valve's cessation of existence, it makes me sad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    August 2008
    4,435 Posts
    We could probably clone him and implant his old brain into the new body with future tech.

I condone this.

29. Post #29
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,149 Posts
    He's turning 50 this year. He has easily 20 years left, quite possibly many more. And with medical care getting better all the time, its impossible to tell how long we'll have him for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Official Smiles.
    January 2010
    10,661 Posts

GabeDOS?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 20Winner Winner x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    4,836 Posts
    I like valve and all but goddamn do people exaggerate their modern day impact. I mean yeah they did some fucking impressive stuff before but the last really unique thing they've made in terms of games lately is portal, and that came out in 2007 iirc. There main engine is luggin behind the competition and looking worse and worse each year.

I mean really, when's the last time you've heard of a major developer using the source engine besides valve. The engine is so fucking outdated, modder friendly or not. There newest games, made primarily for modern pcs, are lacking some more standard graphical features like Ssao or true dynamic lighting.

There newest games Gameplay wise arent even that amazing. Portal 2 was good but it was more an expansion on portals game concepts rather than a whole new, unique expirience. Dota 2 is just a remake of a mod with a terrible community, which looks rather meh nowadays with its low res textures appearing in crisp high resolution detail. Counter strike go admittedly looks amazing graphically, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a remake of a remake with gameplay that hasn't aged well at all.
    The reason is that Valve, aside from a select few others, are one of the only big gaming companies that people still love and make great products. The 90's were full of those too - my childhood was Westwood, Bulldog, Cavedog, Rare, Maxis..

Sure, Valve didn't save PC game or create a new era. But god damn they know what I want. (Usually) so while their reputation may be over the top, the respect for them isn't. (.. Usually) The industry is surely more important than graphics or singular products.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    3,989 Posts
    He's turning 50 this year. He has easily 20 years left, quite possibly many more. And with medical care getting better all the time, its impossible to tell how long we'll have him for.
    I hope Gabe lives a long time, but for all we know he, us, or anyone else could die tomorrow. There's no need for all this "What if Gabe dies" discussion though, we know right now he has bright things in store for us and chances are there'll be many more over the coming decade and a half (if he retires at 65).

33. Post #33
    February 2011
    203 Posts
    Remind anyone of rareware?

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,002 Posts
    This will happen
    At the bottom on the tombstone, it says, "I hope it was worth the weight." I laughed. But now I can't decide if that was a mistake or done on purpose..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

35. Post #35
    September 2012
    11 Posts
    the fat man is gonna take us all down with him if he goes
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Deviantart Appreciation Station's Finest
    April 2009
    20,334 Posts
    the fat man is gonna take us all down with him if he goes
    How?

37. Post #37
    I do it all
    November 2010
    14,202 Posts
    EA helped valve with the orange box and left 4 dead 2, all EA will be to Valve is just their helper if they can't get some stuff done and they need additional support imo
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    I PAID $9 TO TROLL THE GMF BECAUSE I ASPIRE TO BE BETTER THAN MY PROSTITUTE MOTHER WITH 9 KIDS AND DRUNKEN FATHER WHO BEATS ME EVERY NIGHT. SOMETIMES I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP HOPING THE MODS DONT BAN ME ;__;
    July 2011
    1,242 Posts
    Oh man, I'm starting to tear up at the thought of Gabe Newell dying.

I never knew him in Real Life, and I never will know him, but I know that without him, my favourite hobby wouldn't be as good, and the world would have to miss out on Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, Left 4 Dead and Garry's Mod, to name a few.

It's just saddening to realise that when I'm a bit older I'll one day get the news that Gabe Newell had died.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,416 Posts

I have to admit though that the Source Engine has a clarity to it that a lot of other engines lack. Many games look cluttered while Source games are normally pretty clear.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Okay I'm sorry about what I said up there! This is terriblely shocking and depressing. I don't want hats in place of updates, we've got too many already!

I know I'll get Brown Boxes again, but may I ask for why I got them?