1. Post #1
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Think about it - it happened 11 years ago. Sure, it killed 3,000 people - but started a war where we killed at least 65,000 civilians, and probably more. Why, 11 years after the fact, do we still build $500 million dollar memorials (costs $60 million dollars a year to run - each year it gets less and less relevant). I get it that it's closer to home and some of us knew people in the towers, and it's still obviously a great loss. But we use this as an excuse to start a war, that killed 65,000-118,000 civilians, and they don't get any sort of memorial, or day of remembrance, or moment of silence, or anything. Why is it that we are still so touchy about the subject 11 years later?

(User was banned for this post ("Asking a question/No debate presented - 2nd Offense" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #2
    January 2012
    398 Posts
    Even though it is really not that relevant anymore, it will be considered a landmark moment in history. It is an event that should be remembered, but I think stopping school for a memorial ceremony and such 11 years after the fact is a bit much.

3. Post #3
    Person
    June 2008
    5,734 Posts
    The reason people remember 9/11 is for fear mongering and profit.

Nobody remembers the people that died on 9/11 that weren't anywhere near the world trade center.

4. Post #4
    As a wise man once said: Never ask Fatfatfatty for computer advice
    Dennab
    March 2009
    13,456 Posts
    We need to stop caring so much about 9/11, it only show the terrorists how much damage they have actually done. All it took was the sacrifice of 6 men in the beginning of a "Jihad" a holy war and it left an entire nation trembling in fear for many many years to come.

Or you could also say "Terrorists win"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events

5. Post #5
    May 2012
    184 Posts
    I think people are over it. 911 is just a sales pitch to keep a war going for other reasons. It was their green light for Iraq and Afghanistan and another 'attack' would suit the establishment just fine as its an excuse to bury bad news whilst the worlds attn is on something huge and allows them to make their next move with less opposition.
    War is a dirty business, stay out of the military.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    June 2009
    6,496 Posts
    let's just forget about the 3,000, fuck them amirite

same with the 8 million that died during the holocaust

that happened like, what, a million years ago? totally not relevant at all anymore and it definitely had no impact on history

7. Post #7
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,080 Posts

that happened like, what, a million years ago? totally not relevant at all anymore and it definitely had no impact on history
    There's a difference between getting over something and completely forgetting it.

9/11 was a tragedy but it's time to stop living in the past as a country.

8. Post #8
    May 2010
    3,939 Posts
    Don't compare the holocaust to a terrorist attack please.

We should remember 9/11, but we shouldn't treat it like the saddest moment in American history or like this massive act of war.

9. Post #9
    June 2011
    723 Posts

I'm sorry but this, this is just so. So, disrespectful, I'm pretty sure if and when someone in your immediate family dies you don't want others saying "Fuck them, am I right?". Also saying the Holocaust had no effect on history is just down right ignorant.

Anyways, I agree, us trembling in fear for so long like this is just kind of saying that the terrorists won. They wanted to invoke terror and that is what they done, hell that terror is still felt today.

10. Post #10
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I'm sorry but this, this is just so. So, disrespectful, I'm pretty sure if and when someone in your immediate family dies you don't want others saying "Fuck them, am I right?". Also saying the Holocaust had no effect on history is just down right ignorant.
    Sarcasm.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,555 Posts
    Why, 11 years after the fact, do we still build $500 million dollar memorials (costs $60 million dollars a year to run - each year it gets less and less relevant).
    Pearl Harbor has an expensive memorial. Does it get less relevant each year? Many would argue that it doesn't.

I get it that it's closer to home and some of us knew people in the towers, and it's still obviously a great loss. But we use this as an excuse to start a war, that killed 65,000-118,000 civilians, and they don't get any sort of memorial, or day of remembrance, or moment of silence, or anything.
    because they're not American. I'm pretty sure there are memorials in Iraq for that.

We don't hold memorials for German civilians killed in Dresden, the Germans do that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

12. Post #12
    Person
    June 2008
    5,734 Posts
    Pearl Harbor has an expensive memorial. Does it get less relevant each year? Many would argue that it doesn't.

because they're not American. I'm pretty sure there are memorials in Iraq for that.

We don't hold memorials for German civilians killed in Dresden, the Germans do that.
    "Many would argue" is not a valid argument. Why is spending so much money worthwhile?

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,555 Posts
    "Many would argue" is not a valid argument. Why is spending so much money worthwhile?
    By your logic why should we have spent the money on pearl harbor? Why should anyone spend money on memorials commemorating anything? Why should we spend money keeping the eternal flame going (JFK was just one person)...

Why?

Because people think that the dead should be honored with memorials, and memorials are a good way to educate the public on events like this that happened.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

14. Post #14
    May 2012
    2,673 Posts
    Even though it is really not that relevant anymore, it will be considered a landmark moment in history. It is an event that should be remembered, but I think stopping school for a memorial ceremony and such 11 years after the fact is a bit much.
    They don't stop school for 9/11

What are you talking about?

Also no we shouldn't get over 9/11

15. Post #15
    The Savior of FP
    May 2010
    5,629 Posts

We've been mourning them for 11 years. I understand it was terrible for so many people, but we really need to focus on the problems at the present, not a thing that happened so long ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events

16. Post #16
    Person
    June 2008
    5,734 Posts
    By your logic why should we have spent the money on pearl harbor? Why should anyone spend money on memorials commemorating anything? Why should we spend money keeping the eternal flame going (JFK was just one person)...

Why?

Because people think that the dead should be honored with memorials, and memorials are a good way to educate the public on events like this that happened.
    We're wasting money on a relatively insignficant loss. I can assure you that far more than 3,000 people died on 9/11 due to something OTHER than a terrorist attack. Why are we not memorializing them?

17. Post #17
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    We're wasting money on a relatively insignficant loss. I can assure you that far more than 3,000 people died on 9/11 due to something OTHER than a terrorist attack. Why are we not memorializing them?
    probably because they didn't die in one of the most memorable and fear-inspiring attacks on american soil in history? idk might have something to do with it

newsflash: people memorialize shocking and extraordinary deaths and events

18. Post #18
    January 2010
    5,990 Posts
    Like the 18,000 that starve to death daily!

19. Post #19
    Person
    June 2008
    5,734 Posts
    probably because they didn't die in one of the most memorable and fear-inspiring attacks on american soil in history? idk might have something to do with it

newsflash: people memorialize shocking and extraordinary deaths and events
    And why? It's a ridiculous waste of money going towards ensuring that the terrorists more than achieved their goal each and every year.

20. Post #20
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts
    And why? It's a ridiculous waste of money going towards ensuring that the terrorists more than achieved their goal each and every year.
    or its a reasonable amount of money that goes towards memorializing an extremely traumatic and life changing event for many americans. memorializing 9/11 doesn't mean the terrorists won lmao, shitty public/foreign policy that takes away people's rights in response to fear does

21. Post #21
    I think people are over it. 911 is just a sales pitch to keep a war going for other reasons. It was their green light for Iraq and Afghanistan and another 'attack' would suit the establishment just fine as its an excuse to bury bad news whilst the worlds attn is on something huge and allows them to make their next move with less opposition.
    War is a dirty business, stay out of the military.
    Fuk deh system.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about.

22. Post #22
    Star Extraordinaire
    May 2011
    4,480 Posts
    People that weren't there/had no family killed/involved probably got over it, but for the people actually there that day, most of them don't really get over it - especially if they see something that traumatized them such as seeing a body that was falling splat right in front of their eyes, or running away from the towers as they collapse and have an inescapable cloud of smoke catching up to them. I know (for me at least) it would take some time to get those thoughts out of my head.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    February 2012
    2,382 Posts
    I didn't even know today was 9/11 until I went on Facepunch in the afternoon.
    Literally no one mentioned it all at school or after classes.
    I think the idea that we "dwell" on 9/11 is really just a misconception.

24. Post #24
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    I didn't even know today was 9/11 until I went on Facepunch in the afternoon.
    Literally no one mentioned it all at school or after classes.
    I think the idea that we "dwell" on 9/11 is really just a misconception.
    Have you tuned in to the news lately? Your conception of a misconception is misconceived.

25. Post #25
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,818 Posts
    To be honest we should still remember it, like as an American Veterans day, but not to spend > $75 million on memorials.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

26. Post #26
    January 2012
    398 Posts
    They don't stop school for 9/11

What are you talking about?

Also no we shouldn't get over 9/11
    My district stopped school for a few hours on 9/11. but we stopped a few years ago.

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    3,939 Posts
    On another note, I think "9/11 jokes are just plane wrong" joke is the most overused pun in existence.

28. Post #28
    October 2010
    5,668 Posts
    If anything, people should learn from the 9/11.

What is it that Osama Bin Laden wanted to change about America? Is it the "guidos" and other by-products like excessive consumerism of beauty products and procedures, hookers, drugs, obesity, the inpurity of American souls?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

29. Post #29
    October 2011
    1,747 Posts
    the fact that people still remember and hold memorials for pearl harbor causes me to say no, we should not get over it.

might i also add that pearl harbor was a formal (albiet surprise) military attack, but a military attack nonetheless. 9/11 was just an extremist bunch of lunatics. if anything it will be even more remembered.

i dont think we should just 'get over it' so long as the people whom it affected are still alive and well. i think that things are generally gotten over when the generation of people who experienced it have come to pass. nobody talks about the great fire of london with sorrow, mournfulness, and reverence, because everyone who was even alive at the time is long dead

(granted that was a shitty example because during a time when the odds that someone would live to be 18 were 50%, and during a pre-enlightenment time period, not as much emphasis was put on the the sacredness and value of life and family life)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,026 Posts
    Yes. Yes, we should. Constantly dwelling on it is holding us back, keeping us from moving on with our lives and making genuine progress. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think we should just 'forget' about it. It is a piece of our history, of course, and it was a tragedy. But I don't think we should be dwelling on it. We should let the fallen rest in peace and move forward with life.

I feel it would be a far better memorial to those that fell that day if we stop dwelling on it, stop using them as an excuse to erode civil liberties, and move on as a nation. We moved on from Pearl Harbor without forgetting it. We should do the same with 9/11.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

31. Post #31
    October 2011
    1,747 Posts
    Actually I don't think people just moved on in the same way you are suggesting. I might mention that first of all, even if we did move on from pearl harbor quickly, it was probably due to the fact that a major war overshadowed the event. Furthermore, I'm assuming you weren't alive december 7, 1952, on the 11th anniversary of pearl harbor, to tell whether or not people had moved on by then

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,026 Posts
    Actually I don't think people just moved on in the same way you are suggesting. I might mention that first of all, even if we did move on from pearl harbor quickly, it was probably due to the fact that a major war overshadowed the event. Furthermore, I'm assuming you weren't alive december 7, 1952, on the 11th anniversary of pearl harbor, to tell whether or not people had moved on by then

We were too busy with Korea to worry about over-memorializing Pearl. Besides, we didn't use Pearl Harbor as an excuse to pass shit like the Patriot act and bring forth shit like the TSA. We moved on with things. We started focusing on other things, such as civil rights in the south, building homes for all the GIs that were coming back, retooling back to civilian production, building interstates, and that sort of thing.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    I don't see the problem. Today the only thing I've seen is a mention of it on the radio, a moment of silence in school (like 10 seconds), and a speech from my football coach. Not a big deal.

34. Post #34
    October 2011
    1,747 Posts
    We were too busy with Korea to worry about over-memorializing Pearl. Besides, we didn't use Pearl Harbor as an excuse to pass shit like the Patriot act and bring forth shit like the TSA. We moved on with things. We started focusing on other things, such as civil rights in the south, building homes for all the GIs that were coming back, retooling back to civilian production, building interstates, and that sort of thing.
    Worth mentioning that the US wasn't in massive debt at that time. The US, although it had suffered the great depression, had bounced back to a wonderfully good economy after World War II, as the war economy was a major boon for the US economy over all.

Furthermore, there was no reason to pass an act which 'restricted the civil rights of Americans' post WWII. Yes, I apologize that you have to take off your shoes and put your bags on a conveyor belt. Those goddamn TSA causing you over 10 minutes of extra waiting! DAMN THEM! (I don't know why FP has a blind hatred of authority figures such as the police and the TSA. Believe it or not they are not there to hurt you)

In addition, you're kind of cherry picking positive social issues from post-war times. You could also go as far as to say that during that time, civil rights activists were mercilessly persecuted, as Brown vs. the Board of Education wasn't until more than a decade later. Maybe that the Vietnam war had just begun as well? Bad things still happened in the post-war era, and the government still did unpopular things. It wasn't all fun and good economy, building houses for GIs, civilian production, etc.

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,357 Posts
    We need to stop caring so much about 9/11, it only show the terrorists how much damage they have actually done. All it took was the sacrifice of 6 men in the beginning of a "Jihad" a holy war and it left an entire nation trembling in fear for many many years to come.

Or you could also say "Terrorists win"
    nah, if the terrorists won we'd have stopped intervening in Middle Eastern affairs, when in fact we're even more involved. Terrorists lost, big time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    7,983 Posts

The sooner we can get over 9/11, the sooner we can focus on other things. Better things. Sure, the 3000 are dead, but living in the past will make everything worse. I mean, would you consider yourself a monster if you got over a relative dying? Sure, it'd still be sad when you think about them, but do you really want to dwell on it for the rest of your life? That's fucking stupid.

37. Post #37
    April 2011
    115 Posts
    nah, if the terrorists won we'd have stopped intervening in Middle Eastern affairs, when in fact we're even more involved. Terrorists lost, big time.
    Terrorists win when their goal is to create fear. As Fatfatfatty said, with only 6 people they have caused panic for 11 years now.