• "Normal"

0 0%
  • I will post my view.

2 6.67%
  1. Post #1
    December 2010
    90 Posts
    Hello,

Here I am again asking about two different standards (My last one was about AMD vs Intel (Intel seems to be better))

So which is better/more reliable/better all round, Modular or normal PSU's and why? (For those that may not know modular (If I remember right :P) Is when each cable plugs in to the PSU when its needed and normal (in my terms) is when you have all the cables fixed to the unit)

Thanks

2. Post #2
    May 2010
    3,542 Posts
    No difference, depends on the brand and model.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    It really just depends on who built the power supply, how efficient it is and what it costs. Overall though I do prefer to have a modular because it is easier to cable manage and it isn't all that difficult to plug in new wires as they are needed.

4. Post #4
    December 2010
    90 Posts
    What modular PSU would you all recommend then? (Currently got a OCZ 650w)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts
    I'm a big fan of the OCZ ModStreamPros and ZXs, Corsair's AX/HX, Cooler Master's Silent Pros, and almost any modular psu Seasonic makes.

6. Post #6
    July 2010
    4,102 Posts
    What modular PSU would you all recommend then? (Currently got a OCZ 650w)
    What are you doing/what is lacking with your current PSU?

7. Post #7
    December 2010
    90 Posts
    What are you doing/what is lacking with your current PSU?
    Apart from it being a mess not much, the CPU power cable is way to short as well.

EDIT
    I'm also short on SATA cables too.

8. Post #8
    July 2010
    4,102 Posts
    So wattage isn't a problem? I'd think that this meets your needs, but without knowing anything unorthodox that you may or may not have, it's hard to say.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341017

9. Post #9
    November 2010
    65 Posts
    I recommend picking up a cooler master silent pro. I currently have 2 custom builds both with the modular cabled psu. I am 100% happy and its been a full year with no issues. (case looks very tidy as well)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Afghanistan Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    December 2010
    90 Posts
    Thanks for the suggestions, The only reason I asked is there used to be some problem with them a while ago (dont ask me what or where I read it)

I will probably get a more powerful one anyway, maybe a 850 or 1000w one just for future proofing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,780 Posts
    Getting 850 or 1000 isn't future proofing, parts are going down in power requirement, not up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    December 2010
    90 Posts
    It is futureproofing because if I say plan to run mulit gpu or make it a server I'm going to need the extra wattage.

13. Post #13
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,346 Posts
    How many gpu's are we talking? Four? 650-700w is more than enough to run a two-sli setup.

14. Post #14
    Resident News Bot
    April 2011
    11,426 Posts
    Almost always modular. Cable management is quite important. Proper management can deliver better airflow as you have nothing in the way.

15. Post #15
    I wish I was as cool as Felix :)
    April 2010
    7,777 Posts
    How many gpu's are we talking? Four? 650-700w is more than enough to run a two-sli setup.
    Of course it depends what cards he's running. 700w isn't going to cut it for a pair of 680s or 670s.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,780 Posts
    Of course it depends what cards he's running. 700w isn't going to cut it for a pair of 680s or 670s.
    670's & 680's have a max TDP of around 200 watts, on SLI thats 400 watts and a motherboard and HDD's don't take up 300 watts of power.

17. Post #17
    April 2010
    7,777 Posts
    I meant with the sort of CPU you'd expect to have if you were running 680/670 SLI.

Edited:

I could still be wrong.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2010
    4,102 Posts
    I meant with the sort of CPU you'd expect to have if you were running 680/670 SLI.

Edited:

I could still be wrong.
    Ivy bridge i7s don't even draw 80 watts at full load. Going back a ways, the Bloomfields only drew something like 130.

77 watts.

Unless you have 30 hard drives, it's overkill.

19. Post #19
    April 2010
    7,777 Posts
    Ivy bridge i7s don't even draw 80 watts at full load. Going back a ways, the Bloomfields only drew something like 130.

77 watts.

Well I suppose I was wrong then. Carry on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    3,831 Posts

77 watts.

Only 30 hard drives? What will I ever do with the 31st?

Seriously though. The power draw on Intel's new line is often times less than advertised unless you get a really bad chip. Even then, the difference is far less than what it used to be around 95-135.

21. Post #21
    Resident Raccoon
    January 2008
    8,988 Posts
    Only 30 hard drives? What will I ever do with the 31st?
    Buy another PSU and sit it in the case

22. Post #22
    December 2009
    324 Posts
    I have the corsair HX 750w, it's a beast

Ample power for basically any single card setup.

I'd definitely go modular over non-modular currently, it just makes things so much neater in the case.

I only wish the PSU was completely modular, meaning each cable only had 1 connector on the end for full customizibility. I guess that's just me dreaming though

23. Post #23
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,346 Posts
    I have the corsair HX 750w, it's a beast

Ample power for basically any single card setup.

I'd definitely go modular over non-modular currently, it just makes things so much neater in the case.

I only wish the PSU was completely modular, meaning each cable only had 1 connector on the end for full customizibility. I guess that's just me dreaming though
    Buy the AX series next time. I got the ax650 and never looked back.