1. Post #1
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    7,964 Posts
    As you all know, the Source mod "Black Mesa" has been released. And if you've played the mod, or have put the models into Garry's Mod, then you're probably aware that the models have a great amount of faceposing flexes on them to allow near total modification of their facial structure.

However, if you have tried to use them in Garry's Mod, you have probably also discovered that only the first few of these flexes work, and a majority of them don't.

This is no longer the case.

The reason this is the case is the default Faceposer only supports 64 flexes. The Black Mesa models use 80 flexes. Therefore, the last 16 could not be utilized by the default Faceposer. However, with the Extended Faceposer, in this release, up to 96 flexes (the maximum Source can handle) can now be manipulated. This translates to full control over the Black Mesa models' flexes. The only thing you have to be aware of is this does not replace the default Faceposer! You have to make sure you select "Face Poser (Extended)" instead of simply "Face Poser" when manipulating these models. If you use the normal Faceposer on a Black Mesa model, you will lose any changes you made to the last 16 flexes!

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

What if you want to use a bunch of scientists, but make them all unique? What if you're lazy and don't want to adjust all the sliders yourself? Say no more! The BMS Randomizer tool is here to save the day! As the name implies, a single click of a Black Mesa ragdoll with it will randomize every facial flex, making it easy to make unique scientists every time. Don't like a face at all? Just hit it again! Want to make a few tweaks, use the included Extended Faceposer!

But it does more than just randomize face flexes! It also randomizes the skin with right-click, and the glasses with reload! All without affecting your other faceposing (like blinking or talking and such) at all!

What are you waiting for?! Get it today!

BMS Faceposing Tools

Also, fun fact. The Extended faceposer isn't limited to Black Mesa models in particular. Any model that uses more than 64 flexes will be able to be manipulated by it. So if you're a modeller and you've been hesitant about adding too many flexes that the Faceposer can't handle it, fret no more. I've got your back. Though, the BMS Randomizer is specified to BMS models. Specifically, if your face flexes don't begin on the 44th flex and end on the 80th, then it won't work correctly. Can be easily modified to fit any particular model needs, though.

Complements of the chef, a .GIF showing off 17 different faces made with a single BMS model, using the Randomizer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua King Lua King x 43Winner Winner x 4Useful Useful x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    3,700 Posts
    Nice work.

Nice to know about the faceposer tool as well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,220 Posts
    Nice job man
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    May 2005
    21,467 Posts
    This is gonna be so useful, thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    September 2008
    570 Posts
    Would this be compatable with Gmod 13?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    May 2011
    126 Posts
    well, that leaves me just speechless.
    Thank you very much for this, it will sure be put to good uses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    August 2010
    1,257 Posts
    Fucking hell, wish i got here earlier, damn 509 heavy traffic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    August 2005
    7,964 Posts
    Why does my .gif no longer work?

Edited:

Would this be compatable with Gmod 13?
    No idea.

Presumably, if none of the controls used are deprecated in GM13, then yes. It may operate differently than the GM13 faceposer (assuming Garry changed it), but so long as the tools operate on the same hooks, the SetFlexWeight() operates the same way, spawnmenu context menus build the same way, and drawing textured rects works the same way, then it should work the same.

You'd have to test to find out, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,323 Posts
    Why does my .gif no longer work?

Error (509)
    This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Late Late x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    August 2005
    7,964 Posts
    Updated first post with Filesmelt links.

I can't believe I actually managed to cap out my Dropbox traffic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    August 2005
    7,964 Posts
    Have more news.

As some of you know (particularly the modellers), the very last flex on a model cannot be operated on with the Faceposer, even though it works in every other program that does them (Faceposer SDK, ModelViewer, SFM, etc).

The reason for this is because Garry kind of derped and subtracted 2 from the max count for the flexes, rather than the 1 he should have.

If you want to make it so you can use the last flex on a model, this is all you need to do.

Open up faceposer_extend.lua with Notepad (preferably Notepad++ if you have it), and go to this line (line 59):

Code:
    local FlexNum = ent:GetFlexNum() - 1
    And change it to:

Code:
    local FlexNum = ent:GetFlexNum()
    Save it, and now you can manipulate the last flex on every model with the Extended Faceposer. I'm not going to hotpatch the download with this, because it's become a standard among our better modellers to simply add a blank flex at the end to get around this problem.

But now, our modellers don't have to.

Edited:

A few people have requested this, so I'll just ask it here.

Should I make this a part of the actual Extended Faceposer, as well as add controls to change the size and opacity of the indicator circle?

Rate this post Agree if you think I should do these changes to Extended Faceposer and release it bundled with the Randomizer.
    Rate this post Disagree if you don't think it's necessary.
    Rate this post Informative if you think I should make these changes, but release the Extended Faceposer as a separate tool from the Randomizer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 10Informative Informative x 3 (list)

12. Post #12
    September 2008
    570 Posts
    You'd have to test to find out, really.
    Done a bit of testing in Gmod 13 with this addon. The control pannel does not appear when using the context menu. From the console it reads the following:

[addons/bms_tools/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/faceposer_extend.lua:171] attempt to call global 'GetControlPanel' (a nil value)
    1. addons/bms_tools/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/faceposer_extend.lua:171 (UpdateFaceControlPanel)
    2. addons/bms_tools/lua/weapons/gmod_tool/stools/faceposer_extend.lua:49 (Think)
    3. gamemodes/sandbox/entities/weapons/gmod_tool/shared.lua:183 (unknown)

Something to put in mind once Gmod13 goes live.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    August 2005
    7,964 Posts
    Well, I guess the votes are in.

When I next have some free time, I'll add the ability to control the Faceposer indicator circle size and opacity, as well as fix the "can't use last flex" in the Extended Faceposer. And it will be released in this thread, bundled with the Randomizer.

14. Post #14
    May 2011
    38 Posts
    I can't download it from filesmelt.

15. Post #15
    June 2008
    1,639 Posts
    My only suggestion is to throw it on Workshop before someone else does.

16. Post #16
    August 2005
    7,964 Posts
    How?

This is kinda the first thing I've released since Garry integrated the whole Toybox or Workshop or whatever it is.

17. Post #17
    June 2008
    1,639 Posts
    How?

This is kinda the first thing I've released since Garry integrated the whole Toybox or Workshop or whatever it is.
    http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1202508

18. Post #18
    I am a huge Faggot.
    March 2012
    392 Posts
    i came on today and notes the link is working. cause before when i came to get this, the downlode link was not showing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)